Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Surgery Day Stories

hi all

i had my lap band surgery done on the Wed 3rd sept 2008 - in Tauranga New Zealand.

I was first up at 8.20am and back in recovery room and semi awake about 10.30ish Nursing staff were great, i had little or no pain, Keyhole surgery left me with six little stab marks with no stitches, Dr Cable gave me wicked pictures of my puku (stomach), before he hitched the band round it, and afterwards. ewww im never going to eat fat again ugh!, Im gonna keep those pictures to look at when i want to eat some pork crackle! Was up and walking round within the first 3 hrs. And next morning, i was able to shower and go home! Ive been home 3 days now, feeling good, and looking forward to going back to work on monday.

I like the idea of being able to monitor others progress on here! awesum

I wanna see the pics, I wanna see the pics! :shades_smile:

I wanna see the pics, I wanna see the pics! :thumbup:

hey i put them in an album? think its called before surgery on the inside, lol but im notsure how to get back to that bit

Hi Lyndalu, I'm from NZ too, Auckland, am having my op in October by Dr Fris, its great to see another Kiwi with a successful story, hope you are feeling well :thumbup:

bet you cant wait! i was lucky with dr cable, not only was he a great surgeon, it was a quick process, i saw him on the 14th aug, booked surgery for two weeks later and thats that.

am loving the new banded ME

how do you guys get that fancy weight loss ticker thingy?

ok its called "before and after on the inside"

LOL I will try to locate the album, but I have NO clue where to look :thumbup:

that is quick, its taken me about 3 months. for the ticker, go to tickerfactory.com set it up then copy the url address and paste it under edit signature on the user cp.:thumbup:

All I can say is I arrived at the hospital at 9am for an 11am surgery and I didn't get wheeled into surgery until 5:57 pm EVERYONE had packed up and gone home or gone into surgery already except for the one nurse that had to wait with me. They had turned off pretty much everything and locked up for the night, I thought they actually forgot about me. I was so nervous by this time I almost called it off. I came out of surgery after 8pm so I was totally alone with just me and the last two nurses who had to wait for me before they could go home, in the recovery area. I was finally taken to my room around 10:15pm. I was dead tired and SO THIRSTY. It was a little scary becasue everyone that had come to support me in beginning my journey had to leave so they could go home and get ready for work the next day so I was alone. My husband had to be with our children but he kept calling me to make sure I was ok and I couldn't even speak to him due to the thirst. I spent the whole next day in the hospital and went home the following day, by the time I was waiting to go home I lost the ability to speak because my mouth was so dry from being so thirsty. Right before I walked out of the hospital to come home they finally gave me just a few small sips of Water. It was a wierd experience to say the least!

I had my surgery on Sept 2, and all went as planned. I think an important part of making this decision was to find a surgeon and team who has done many surgeries, and has the hospital behind his program. I was impressed by the anesthesiologist, I got a spinal shot that held off ANY pain for over 24 hours. After that I got a bit of Roxicet just before we went home, and had already gotten some for at home. Pain was alway tolerable, and the incisions are looking great. I have a big bruise from a botched IV try, but that can happen to anybody, any time....

I went back the Monday after the surgery, all was good. I go back again on this Monday, then in a month for a fill. Very supportive, he does both lap band and R-N-Y surgeries. He hand picked the team 5 years ago and he has done 1000 surgeries in those five years with this team.

Its a small hospital, very personable, and I just don't think the attention and care could have been better. He is very conservative, I had all the tests anyone has mentioned, and more. I am still on Clear liquids and Proteins (harder than I even imagined!) but that will hopefully change after the next visit.

I do recommend looking for an experienced surgeon with a lifetime program. I agreed to go back to see him every year, well forever, I guess.

I am very pleased, going back to work next week, but actually gave an 1 1/2 hour presentation for my work to a group of about 70 people yesterday. It was fun to get back into the thick of things. I felt fine, a bit tired today, but not bad.

I hope everyone is doing well.

Paula

I just had my surgery on the 10th! I had to be at the hospital by 9am, and right when I got there they hooked me up to an iv and I got my heparin shot ( which I was SO scared of..but it wasnt bad AT ALL!). Then around 11ish they took me back into a pre-surgery room,which I stayed in for about an hour. They wheeled me into the surgery room, got me onto the table, they talked to me about what kind of music I like (lol) and then they said "ok, your going to feel a slight burn in your iv, thats the good stuff" then I was OUT COLD! When I woke up in the recovery room I was SOOOOOO groggy! I actually thought for a few min that I still was waiting for my surgery to happen. My throat felt really weird (from the tube down my throat). I fell back asleep and then woke back up when they were wheeling me into my room (my insurance required me to stay overnight at the hospital). I got really nausious (sp??) from the ride up to my room..I almost threw up. I FELT LIKE CRAP!!!!!!! At this point I started thinking "what the crap did I just do?! why did I do this!?!" There was another girl who shared a room with me who had had the surgery a few hours before me, and 2 seconds after I started regretting my decision to have the surgery she said " I know you feel like crap right now, but you WILL feel better soon! Trust me, a few hours ago I felt just like you and I feel SO much better now...just give it some time!" I knew she was right, but being in the moment, I was miserable! About an hour after I got to my room, I decided I would try to go for a walk. ( I still felt really crappy...but everyone was telling me that walking helps...) Let me tell you, walking is the BEST thing you can do! It really does help! A few hours later, and after several laps around the floor, I was feeling MUCH better! The next day around 9:30 I was released and went home. The car ride home made me feel a little sick, and I figured I would feel better when I got home. Nope! I came SO close to throwing up when I got home...After several deep breaths and walking around my house I felt better. I wasnt in a ton of pain, just very uncomfortable! Around 5 I decided to take some liquid loratab, and RIGHT after I swallowed it I started wretching really hard and I threw up a little. I freaked out and called my doctor and told him what happend, and he told me that I was just fine and as long as I could swallow my liquids and keep them down then I was good! (the reason why that happened was because I took the medicine on an empty stomach...whoops) The rest of the night was me doing lots of laps around my house and trying to sleep. Today im feeling MUCH better! Im not in much pain, just uncomfortable. I feel like I need to burp, but cant. And my left shoulder and left side of my neck hurt a little (I have a heating pad on my shoulder which is helping a lot!). I am able to eat a little more today then yesterday. Its still a little hard to tell whats hunger, and whats discomfort from the band. Anways, I am doing great now and am feeling TONS better! I weighed myself this morning and I have already lost 3 POUNDS!!! (i need to change my ticker!) Oh..I forgot to mention..my calves HURT from walking so much! (LOL!) I am SOOOOO glad I decided to do this for myself! And I am SOO excited to be able to go shopping for some CUTE new clothes!!! WOOHOO!!:lol:

Well, it was a day. I arrived at the hospital at 5 am. The support group leader for WLS met me at admitting. She personally walked me up to my room; which had been reserved since the night before. I must say that I had my surgery performed at the Johnson City Medical Center Hospital. I was amazed at the personal; caring service I recieved. The support group leader stayed with me all the way thru till they rolled me into the OR. Now my family was also there and she took care of them also. She was amazing. She prayed with me and kept me positive and calm right until they put me to sleep. When I woke up; I had some sickness due to the way I react to anesthesia. But I am unusual. I am allergic to all pain meds and actually had none from the time I woke up until I left for home; except for liquid tylenol. There was some pain and soreness. But not as bad as I had thought it would be. I was kept overnight for the barium swallow test; which went great and released that afternoon.

For anyone that may even be thinking of having your surgery at Johson City Medical Center Hospital; in Johnson City Tennessee; you will be blessed. The floor where WLS patients are kept has just been redesigned and the rooms are large and luxurious. The nursing staff is wonderful and the doctors: Dr. Michael Hodge and Dr. Scott Watson are amazing. As a matter of fact JCMC has just recieved the Bariatric Center of Excellence Award and that is thanks is part to the staff and Dr. Hodge and Watson. If you live anywhere near JC Tn; it would be worth your trip to have your surgery here. Don't want to forget to mention the nutrionist who also came to visit me and even the hospital chaplain was a previous WLS patient. Her initial greeting to me was "Welcome to the first day of your new life." What a way to greet the day.

Had my band 0n 9/11 in Richardson Texas. Had a 9:00 surgery time and was there by 7:15. Paperwork and then into pre-op by 8. IV in and vitals taken. Very sweet anesthesiologist gave me a whopping dose of Versed as we started rolling toward the OR. Have NO recall of going into OR or coming out. Surgery over by 9:30. Had me up and walking soon thereafter. Quick gulp of contrast and fluoro of post-surgery band placement. Dr B. came by with reassurance all was well and I was on my way home by noon. Very smooth operation and professional team.

:thumbup:

Thanks so much. This is so helpful to me. I am in a similar situation here in Memphis, TN. I am awaiting my surgery date, which should be the end of Sept. or beginning of Oct. I'll keep you posted. Betty

Hi everyone!

I was banded yesterday and thought those who are waiting to be banded would like to know how it went for me. I truly went very smoothly. I was admitted at 8am, they had me take a pregnancy test, and put on a HUGE gown with compression stockings and booties. Then the nurse put an IV into my left hand. The anesthesiologist came in to go over my allergies. I told him that I get extremely nauseous with certain meds and any movement. So he gave me something for nausea with my anesthesia. I met with my doctor. He asked me what where going to do today (poking fun of course) so I poked back and said, well I'm here for a boob job of course!

I was wheeled back, moved onto the surgery table; they put the anesthesia in my IV...and lights out! I woke up two hours later in recovery. I'm told that the surgery only lasted 30 mins and that it went very well. In terms of pain, I felt what I thought was really bad acid stomach right at the top of my stomach. The nurse said it was air/gas which created a burning feeling. Very uncomfortable. No shoulder pain or pain at the incision sights (there where 5 incisions). I was taken to my room, which was a very nice private room. I was given morphine and something for inflammation. They also gave me ice chips. I drifted in and out of sleep for another 2 hours. From what I can remember the nurse came in regularly to check my vitals and incisions. (I saw two of her....) Then after two hours I got up to go potty. I got very nauseous at that point, but only for a few minutes. I then went on a walk around the ward. Came back to my room. I was still feeling the stomach burning/pain. They gave me more meds and I went to sleep again. This was the routine all night long. Around 1am, I complained of pain and the nurse told me I was due for an anti-inflammatory med. She gave me this and it worked like a charm and made me very comfortable that I slept until 4am. At 4am the lab came to drawl blood. I went back to sleep until about 7:15 when the surgeon came to check on me. He told me that my insides where very clean and there were only a few fatty deposits on my liver (proof that the liver reducing diet works). He said I was free to go, and would prescribe me liquid lortab. He told me to follow-up in two weeks, and then I would get my first fill in four weeks. I had a yummy Breakfast of vegetable broth, lemon Jello, Decaf coffee and apple juice. I did 11 laps around the ward where I was given the name of "Hot Rod", for moving so fast. The nurse came and took out the IV and the pain pump tube. I got dressed and went home.

I'm at home. I'm on full liquids. No issues with food so far. No real appetite, I’m trying the keep hydrated. I am following the post op diet to a T. My back and belly hurt a little, like dull and achy.

I will return to work on Monday. If you have any questions about my experience I am happy to answer them for you. I cannot believe it is over!

Jill

I am home, and officially part of bandland!:wink2: I want to thank every person that prayed for those of us having surgery today. I got to the hospital at 9:45a.m. They took me back to the pre-op area within 5 minutes. I got undressed (they wouldn't allow me to keep on my pantiesfrown.gif). They started my IV fluids, antibiotics, anti-nausea medicine, and happy juice :tongue2:. They also gave me the blood thinner shot in my belly. They told me that I could expect to stay back there for a while since I was my surgeon's third and last patient of the day. I was back there for almost 3 hours before they took me to the O R. I SORT of remember getting on the table, but that is all. The next REAL memory was in stage 1 recovery. I asked the nurse if I had a band, and if they did any type of hernia repair. I didn't have a hernia (or if I did, he didn't repair it). I didn't have any pain. I dozed in and out for a little while there. I was then taken to stage 2 recovery. That is where they brought my DH back. I was required to drink 2 cups of Water and 1 cup of apple juice before I could leave. I asked to get up to start my walking. I was able to get up without any help. I made 4 trips around the room the first time. They called my surgeon to ask if I could have some Benedryl because the pain medicine was making me itch. He told her I could have it and go home at 5pm. All of the nurses talked about how well I was doing. I got dressed on my own. I am so shocked at how good I feel. I figure it must be some darn good drugs. I still have the motion sickness patch behind my ear. I figure I will leave it there since I am on Clear Liquids until next Thursday. I came home and changed into a night gown. I have only taken my pain medicine to keep the edge off. It is easier to keep the pain from coming than it is to stop it once it starts. I still don't have any gas pains or any real pain at all. My port incision kind of aches a little when I cough. I have been making sure that I get up and walk around the house. I don't try to run a marathon like I did at the hospital. The nurses just laughed at me because I kept walking around. I got up on my own several more times until time to leave. The nurse that pushed my wheelchair out of the hospital told me to enjoy my new life. I thought that was really nice. I came home and started on my fluids. I have not had a problem yet, and I am praying that I won't.

Be blessed everyone.

Edited by *slim*