Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Surgery Day Stories

Does the iv hurt? I have a thing with needles. And how do they get you from the surgery table to the gurney to be wheeled into recovery? Do they lift you up?

I assure you I have NO CLUE how they got me from the OR to recovery, because I was KNOCKED OUT!

At my preop appt I was give a 12:30 surgery time and was told to arrive at 10:30. I was nervous because I had never had any type of surgery before.:wink2: So...surgery day arrives (July 14th) and my hubby and I arrive early around 10 am. I was quickly ushered back to a room. I was thinking, WOW how very efficient they are here.

I was given a robe and told to change. I asked if I could wait, because I thought I was 30 min. early and I was told to change quickly, because my nurse would be in the room shortly. I did as I was told, and sure enough, my nurse came in and began asking basic questions. More people came in and started an IV, took blood (I felt this was silly at this point) and took my vitals. The nurse then said my dr had asked her 30 min. prior to my arrival if I was at the hospital yet. When I asked her why, I was told my surgery was at 11 o'clock! I was supposed to be at the hospital at 9. I had my paper from preop with the time on it, so I guess someone screwed up.

It worked out well, because in all of the rush, I didn't have time to get anxious. I was wheeled into the OR.... a little scary since I had never been in one and was given the "oxygen" and that is the last thing I remember until I woke up in recovery. :hurray: Did I mention that morphine is an excellent thing?!:)

Check in for me was 6am and I had an hour and a half to travel. And even though my dr. overslept, I was still out of there in 3 1/2 hours!!:) Had an awesome experience considering it was my first surgery ever!

I was banded yesterday, July 28th. I am surprised at what a good experience it's been! I was banded at St. E in N. Ky, by Dr. Smith.

I arrived at the hopital at 6am, was supposed to be operated on at 8AM, but was told my Dr. had an emergency surgery that morning, so I would be delayed. I didn't get taken back until around 11AM, so about 3 hrs late. But my husband and best friend got to sit back in the prep area with me, so that was nice.

The nurse had a hard time getting the IV in me. The first one left a huge bruise on my left inner forearm. The second one got a good stick in my hand, thank goodness and it lasted the whole time I was there. It was a big relief because the last time I had surgery, they put it at my elbow and it was miserable! I had to get up to use the restroom twice during the 3 hrs. They gave me the versed (good stuff!) and 2 bags of antibiotics (not exactly sure what kind) before I went in the OR. The nurses, anesthesiologist, and the OR nurses who came to get me where all VERY nice.

The trip to the OR was quick, and the hallway to the OR and the OR were all FREEZING cold. When they wheeled me into the OR, I saw my Dr. and he shook my hand. They made me move to the operating table, put the mask on me. They asked me to count down from 100, but all I remember saying was "OK"!!

I woke up in recovery, and didn't vomit, thank goodness! The last time I had anesthesia, I got sick the second I woke up. But this time they gave me Reglin in my IV beforehand for nausea. I was pretty woozy and confused at first, because I didn't have my glasses. But after I got good and awoken, they moved me to my room. That was about 3 hrs after I went into the OR. I have no idea how I got from the operating table to the gurney, but the gurney hurt my back so bad that I couldn't wait to get in my bed again. I think my back hurt more than my belly at that point, unbelievable!

I was given excellent care during my stay. I got a private room, and was waited on by excellent nurses. I was given plenty of morphine by IV, and it was great. They kept giving me Reglin, and gave me some sort of shot in my belly to prevent clotting. That one didn't hurt at all. I was feeling so well that I didn't really sleep that much. I got up to use the bathroom a couple of times. I was given ice chips and a popsicle, then watered down apple juice. My best friend left around 4:30, and a friend whose dad had the same surgery (same day, same dr) came down to say hi. My husband stayed until 9pm, and BFF came back to keep me company until midnight since I was up and wanting to talk. They gave me more morphine at midnight, and I slept till 5am. Then I used the bathroom, had more morphine and slept until 8:30 AM. My only trouble sleeping was the boots, and I got over that pretty quickly.

At 8:30, they sat me over in the chair and that they would give me more pain meds and Breakfast of just broth soon. It was 10:00 before I got either, the only negative part of my stay. I ate the broth, drank more diluted apple juice, and a popsicle. I am just so relieved to not be hungry!

One of the doctors from the practice came by to check my bandages and everything. He gave me an all clear. I feel great, by the way, just sore when I stand up and sit down. I took the walk around the hospital floor, as required before leaving. My family came back and brought me a few things. I ate more broth and juice, and then check out of the hospital.

The rest of the day has been good. We filled my prescriptions and came home. I've been eating Clear Liquids all day a feel good. I have liquid Lortab to take and have been taking it regularly, and I have a prescription of Phenergan that I am using for sleep and to avoid any nausea just in case. I think I might have overdone it with even just the liquids, because I feel very full right now, and kind of like I need to burp. I can't figure out yet how burping is going to work. I just learned to burp about 2 hrs ago even with my normal tummy! I couldn't do it when I was little. I guess I will have to learn all over again!

So far, very good experience, and I have not been at all hungry since the surgery. I go back to the Dr. in a week and they will schedule my first fill for 5-6 weeks. They did not do an xray of me to check the band placement, so I'm curious to ask the Dr. how they know it's OK. Also, I can't figure out where my port is! Is it one of the 5 incisions? My right side hurts worse because they said the Dr. operates from that side, so I'm guessing the port is over there too. I just don't know!

Wishing everyone else luck as well! I should mention that I had a breast reduction, and told my BFF that this was "a walk in the park" compared to that! I was drugged at the time, but it's true, this one is a lot less painful than that. :)

Edited by LookingForMe

I hear people saying that they take like 2 breaths from the mask before being knocked out cold. Is that true or just an exaggeration(sp)? Also, did anyone have any fears about the anesthesia?

I hear people saying that they take like 2 breaths from the mask before being knocked out cold. Is that true or just an exaggeration(sp)? Also, did anyone have any fears about the anesthesia?

I was terrified before my surgery day because I had never had surgery before, and yes I remember maybe 2 breaths and that is all. it was snoozeville until I woke in recovery 2 hours later. Surgery was at 11, and I was home by 4:30.

For both surgeries that I have had in my life, I don't even remember counting. I was out as soon as that mask hit my face. Then the next thing I know, I was waking up in recovery. There are nurses right at your bedside in recovery, so they are with you the second you wake up to make sure you are ok. Of all the things for surgery, I think the anesthesia is the least thing to worry about, but just make sure they give you something for nausea - it's miserable to heave when you are pulling at stitches to do it.

Hey 8 days and counting. I usually hit 98 and then am out like a light LOL. I so love the surgery stories they make me feel so much better about doing this. The next week I hope will fly by.

Glad everyone is doing so well. Gives me so much hope for this to work.

I was pre registered mon the 21st and called the nurse friday 7/24 to get the instructions and time of my surgery. Clear fluids 24 hours before and take my meds with small sips of Water before 7 am. my surgery was scheduled for 2:30 pm to be at the hospital @ 12:30pm.

Monday went to pick up my mom and took the subway in got there @ 12:15 went to the ambulatory surgey waiting room. THe clerk call ed me @ 1:00 took me to the locker room gave me an ample sized gown and the slippers told me to get undressed and give a sample of urine for a preg test.

She took me to my cubicle and brought my mom in to sit with me the nurse came and went over all the paperwork gave me my name band took blood let me know my preg test was neg (Thank goodness!) and weighed me (I lost 5 lbs of water wiehgt in 2 days - lol).

THe anesthesiologist came and questioned me the nurse manager came and introduced herself to us and my surgeon - Dr. roslin came and got a final consent. THen the or nurse cam and got me an we waled to OR #12 (there were 18 that I could see).

I climed on the bed got heperin in my arm the anesthesiologist started my IV in my hand and the I looked at the clock and it was 2:29. thne that's all she wrote folks.

I woke up in the PACU to the voices of the anesthesiologist and the nurse calling me. I heard them callin in my parents who cam e and sat with me for a while as soon as they closed the curtain I told my mom (whose a nurse as am I ) to look and see how many insicions I had and what they looked like. my parents left and I go some morphine and fell asleep nest thing I was being brought down to my room. 3 othere lap bandedrs were there the room was nice the nurses excellent . I got 2 more shots of heperin the venodyne boots felt like my dog rolling over my leg and I needed 2 more shots of morphine. I was on torodol on schedule for antiinflammation and pain relief. I was up and about to the the bathroom all night

THe night went well the nurse came and woke me up @ 6:30 to wash up and get ready for my upper gi , the surgical team came in and changed the bandaids and check me out then down to xray I got to see my band and the port.

THe surgeon came and told me I was good to go.Back up to the room and met with the nutritionist and the other lapband patients for review of the diet. Then on my way home.

All in all a very good experience. I would totally recommend my doctor and the hospital 100 times over.

Good luck to all those going

Gigi

Oh I was terrified, I've never been put under, all I know is that's when people die according to grey's anatomy LOL I got to talk to my anesthisiologist the morning of surgery he was so calm and reassuring... My nurse put my IV in it hurt quite a bit. Anesthesiologist came back in put one med in my IV they called it a margarita :biggrin: it took 5 min to kick in, the first 4 I was like psh that didn't do anything, and then it was seriously like being drunk, I remember taking 4 breaths, but he kept telling me to breathe deeper, yeah don't tell a drunk lady to breathe deep of course I wasn't listening :biggrin:

Banded on the 30th

Had to be at the hospital at 7:00 for a 9:00 am surgery. I think my day was pretty much like everyone else. They took me back to change into the gown. Let me use the bathroom and went over my history. Started and IV and gave me a small shot in my stomach that I did not even feel. They wheeled me to the OR and things happened very fast. I did get a little overwhelmed not knowing what I should do next. It seemed like 5 different people asking me to do things at the same time. I do remember them putting the mask over my face and then do not remember anything else until recovery. I woke up to a very dry throat and a nurse that keep telling me to breath deeper. I got a breathing treatment that helped my throat immediately but then was very hot and dizzy. They tell me this is a fairly normal reaction to the anesthesia but it lasted for several hours and did get me an overnight stay that was not expecting. I had a private room so all was well. I really do not have any pain to speak of but the soreness is quite a bit worse than I thought it would be. The only thing that I have to compare it to is my C-section, which I was lucky enough to have no trouble with at all. I am quite a bit sorer than I was after that surgery but I do not have a new infant to take my mind off of it all now. Hope this is help to some of you. I found this thread very comforting before my surgery. Best of luck.

Shonda

It's very true about being knocked out so quickly. Everyone's different, but I didn't even get to a number. I was expecting them to ask me to count, but as soon as that mask touched my face I was out like a light! :biggrin:

They didn't even give me a chance to get nervous. I also don't remember getting moved from the operating table to the gurny. That was done prior to me waking up. They woke me up while I was still in the OR and then as soon as I opened my eyes they began rolling me to recovery. NO nausea was awesome. I explaiend that was one of my biggest fears (vomitting) and they put so much anti-nausea medicine in me it was rediculous. They also gave me a presciption for some for a whole week after surgery. GREAT STUFF!

Good luck to all! :biggrin:

Does everyone have to take off jewelry ie.(body piercings) because I have quite a few and I want to know if it must be removed or if there are alternatives. I also read that no makeup or nail polish is allowed. Anyone ever heard of this??

If you do not remove your jewelry the will do it in the OR and I was told not fingernail/toenail polish, no makeup and no lotion the day of surgery.

Hey I had my surgery Thursday and to be honest I had only had 2 hours of sleep the night before so while they were getting me ready in the OR I closed my eyes and I was out before they ever put the mask on me. Funny I know I just remember waking up lol.

Good Luck Everyone!