Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Surgery Day Stories

Hi Everyone. I went to the hospital on Thursday at 8:00 am and was in the pre-op area gowned, bootied, and IV in place by 8:45. Took 2 sticks for the IV:sad_smile:, but that isn't as bad as other experiences I have had. My DH and sister had time to talk with me for a while. Then the anesthesiologist came in, followed by the surgeon. At that point I was on my way. Before I went to the OR, they gave me the heparin shot in my belly. Anesthesiologist gave me some Versed on the way down the hall so I only vaguely remember getting on the table and having the mask placed.

Woke up in Recovery with NO nausea and only minimal pain! I did have a foley catheter so after that was out, I was able to get up and pee. I was back in my room by 2:00pm. My surgeon requires all his patients to spend the night and he does an Upper GI the next morning to make sure everything is in place. So that afternoon I started walking and walking. I was a little surprised how tired I was and how much I hurt. The worst thing by far was that I could have NOTHING by mouth because of the test the next morning to make sure the band was okay. I would have sold my house for an ice chip. I had a second heparin shot, this time in my arm. I took my pain meds at midnight and somehow slept through the night.

At 7:30 am on Friday they came to take me for the Upper GI. They didn't use barium this time, rather a thin liqid that tasted terrible, but I didn't care - it was only 3 sips and I was on my way to get ice!

At 9:00 the nurse brought me a huge cup of ice and I was in heaven. I had my first "meal of Jello, crystal lite, and broth. Three tablespoons of each at 11:30 and another meal at 3:00. Received my third and last heparin shot at noon. In between I walked and slept. There were three other ladies on the unit with me and we all were having the same experience. All of us were in our 50's and we all were a bit surprised at how generally sore we were but not a big problem with gas pains. One thing that was really neat is that our surgeon sent each of ua a dozen red roses to Celebrate the beginning of our new life! :(

I was discharged at 4:30 and in bed again by 6:00 after my DH made my dinner (you know 3T each of Jello, broth and cystal lite). Had trouble with coughing last night - things in my lungs starting to move around. Already feel better this morning. I didn't expect to have as smooth a recovery as the 20 and 30-somethings, but all things considered, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. First day was definitely the worst.

I am so happy I am here and onto my new life. Thank you to everyone who has supprted me - I love this forum and I look forward to continuing to share the journey.

Hello Everyone...This is my sugery story.

I decided to stay at my moms house because she lived closer to the hospital. So we get there around 7:45am for my 8:00am appt. We go to the admitting office, sign all the necessary paperwork and then she sends us to another waiting room. We were only there a couple of mins when this cute silver haired nurses assistant comes and gets me and leads me to a room where there are a bunch of beds and nurses. A nurse asks me my name and leads me to my bed. She tells me to change into ever stylish hospital gown and gave me my brown treaded socks. They directed my mom to where I was and she sat next to me with her coffee and some Cookies the nurse gave her. The nurse puts in my IV. He had a hard time finding a vein in my hand, but that's normal cause I have very fine veins in my hands. They ended up putting the IV on the underside of my wrisk. I was visited by the OR nurse and the OR anistisologist. My mom wasn't feeling too good so she ended up leaving earlier then I wanted. So here I was, all alone. But that's okay. I didn't tell a lot of people about the surgery so I was okay with the whole deal. They came and rolled me into OR and they moved me to another table. I heard them talking and that was it. I was out. Next thing I know I'm in my room and and my nurse Maureen is talking to me about the contraption they got me hooked up too. I was not to have any food or drink for the next 24hrs. My throat was sore and dry from the ventilation tubing down my throat. And I slept off an on all day. As far as the pain was, the gas was the worst. I felt it all in my shoulder and left side. I only felt soreness from the incisions, but nothing serious. So I hardly took any of the pain medication. Which is funny cause the contraption that dispensed it was not working anyway. I walked a couple of times that night and in the early morning. Anything to ease the gas pain. The next morning I was told that I would be gone by 11am. But that definately didn't happen. My doctor visited and told me I had to take x-rays to make sure everything was in it's proper place and working and then I would have something to eat. The stuff they give you to drink for the x-ray was soooo awful. It shouldn't be the first thing you drink when you have had nothing for 24hrs. But everything turned out fine. They gave me stage 1 foods which were chicken broth, Jello (Nasty) some suger free juice and tea. I liked the broth cause it was salty and I had some of the Jello. When they saw I had no problem with that, they brought me some of the stage II foods to make sure I could handle it before I go home. That consisted of cottage cheese and a thicker Soup. No problem. So my bestfriend, christopher, arrived and the nurse sent him to get my medications. We sat there for a while to make sure stuff was gonna stay down and We packed up and was on our way home. It's been three days post op for me. Getting down all the liquids and Protein is so hard.

What I recommend:

Gas-X strips are essential :incazzato:. They definately help with the gas.

WALK. All the freakin time. It also helps with the gas and it's good for the weight loss.

Sip, Sip, Sip your Water. But always have Water with you. Remember you will have an IV of fluids in you while your in the hospital. If they think you need all that liquid, your gonna need that when you get home.

My Surgery was done at South San Francisco Kaiser Permanente. My Doctor was Doctor Li and the best nurses in the world were Maureen and Victoria. Actually everyone was so nice and friendly there. It was great.

I hope this helps anyone about to have surgery.

This thread will be a sticky so that people can post their surgery day stories so that those who come after can have an idea of what to expect.

I had the surgery on June 4th, 2008. I am still recovering. There was more to the surgery than I expected. My incisions are not that small and they really smart when I use my stomach muscles. Any way to speed up the recovery?

Hello Everyone...This is my sugery story.

My Surgery was done at South San Francisco Kaiser Permanente. My Doctor was Doctor Li and the best nurses in the world were Maureen and Victoria. Actually everyone was so nice and friendly there. It was great.

I hope this helps anyone about to have surgery.

How Cool! My surgeon is Dr. Li. It's so nice to hear from someone who's had him. I heard he's one of the best. I go to the Anesthesiologist tomorrow and surgery is June 19th. Any surprises I should be aware of?

Banded today in Everett Wa northwest Weight loss center. So far so good no problems everyone was awesome

It is finally my turn to post my experience. :frown: I arrived at the hospital at about 12:30 yesterday. I checked in and was immediately taken back to get into my gown and get my IV started. I was supposed to be taken to surgery at 2:45 but at 3:30 the surgeon came by to tell me that it would just be a few more minutes. The next thing I know I was being wheeled down the hall to the OR. There I met the anesthesiologist and he explained what he was going to do. He told me he was giving me some sleepy medicine and as hard as I tried to keep my eyes open...I couldn't :thumbs_up:

The surgery lasted about 40 minutes and I was in recovery. It went extremely well. Once I was in my room, I was still very sleepy. I would doze on and off for the next few hours.

Finally I got up to sit in the chair, walk and use the restroom.

I have to admit that surprisingly I have not had ANY pain or ANY gas pain. I am a bit tender in the stomach area but that is it. I have not had any pain medicine at all. The doctor gave me a prescription for Lortab but I don't think I am going to get it filled. I haven't needed it so far.

I came home today around 2 (my sister brought me home from the hospital) and at 5, I was taking my son to his t-ball game. I did fine. I have to say that the soreness feels a lot better when I walk. If I sit for a while I get a little stiff.

My surgery was June 5th one week ago today. I had to be at Winchester Hospital for 9am for an 11am surgery. After I checked in a really nice nurse came out for me and got me changed into the gown and socks and packed my stuff in the lockers for safe keeping since I had a bag with me because I was staying the night. After she took my vitals she took me to a private sitting room with a tv and brought my husband in. at about 10 a male nurse came in to get me. He brought me to my gurney and covered me up with a blanket. He got my IV in in about 5 seconds! Another nurse came over and put the patch behind my ear for nausea. Dr. Sandor came in at that point and went over the procedure again with me, then the Anesthesiologist came in and went over what was to happen. I had my hair up in a scrunchie and i removed it for comfort and i told the nurse not to loose it (she lost it) I was given a shot in the IV and I remember being wheeled to the operating room and I remember the lights, then I remember waking up in recovery and being very sore and not being able to speak well. My Doctor came right in and told me things went great and that I could have some ice chips now if i wanted. He said as soon as I woke up a bit more they would bring me to my room. I had a morphine pump on the IV which i loved! lol The next morning I had the swallow test and I was home by 8pm that night, would have been earlier, but he got stuck at another hospital doing another surgery. I am healing very well, and I have my follow up visit tomorrow and I'm looking forward to a healthy weight loss!

I was scheduled for surgery at 9:30 on Thursday and needed to be at hospital by 7:40. Husband and I arrived about 15 minutes early because we didn't know if we'd get stuck in traffic. We waited about 10 minutes then I was taken back to pre op. Very quickly changed into a gown, a shot of heparin (didn't bother me at all) and IV(anti nausea and then antibiotic) started. Pre admission testing had been done the week before. I met the anethesiologist briefly; he was older, very kind and you could tell he had been doing this for a while. I met my surgeon's associate who asked me just a couple questions. The nurse let my husband come back in and we sat and waited and waited. That was probably the worse part. Then a quick kiss from hubby and off to the OR. I was so interested in what was going on in there that I didn't want to close my eyes, but a quick pat on the hand from my surgeon and the mask over my face and I was out.

Woke up in recovery with a scratchy throat just thinking about breathing, in/out in/out. I must have drifted in and out because an hour passed by without me even realizing it. My recovery room nurse was absolutely wonderful. She had that "nurse" way of getting me to do the things that I really didn't feel like doing. I sucked on a little bit of ice chips. I never felt nauseous, but there was a pressure in my stomach/chest. I did a couple breathing exercises. After while she had me move to a recliner from the bed. Sitting up the first time made me really woozy. About 1:30 she asked me if I was ready to get dressed which I did while half sitting in the recliner. She offered help but I managed on my own. A dose of the liquid pain medicine made the ride home not so bad. Once home on the couch I called my daughter and then my mom and dad. Since I was pretty awake, hubby parked the phone and a Water bottle next to me and went to get my prescription filled. I got up a few times to walk around a little and use the bathroom. Lots of pressure and my stomach felt like I had done a tortuous ab workout the day before. I took the pain meds again around 9pm and went to bed.

Next day started well, I took a shower on my own and got dressed. But sipping anything at all just made me feel worse. I don't know that I sipped one whole water bottle the whole day. Never threw up, but the pressure was uncomfortable. I did take the pain medicine late in the morning and took a long nap in the afternoon. Little bits of Protein drink and sips of Water was just about all I could handle.

Today is better. No pain meds, just liquid tylenol, and I've had a few ounces of Protein Drink and about a third of a cup of cream of chick Soup. Sipped on water when I could. Each day is getting a little more comfortable.

I had my surgery on May 27. 2008. I went to Dr. Ortiz in Mexico. That in and of itself was an experience...a good one...no a great one. I had someone come and pick me up from the San Diego Airport. From there, I was transported to the Obesity Control Center in Tijuana. While there, I had my meeting with the center's nutritionist, and then I had my blood work. I was scheduled to have my surgery the next day, so with the permission of my nutritionist, I had one delicious, final meal. The next day, surgery day, I had my exam with the clinic's cardiologist which included an EKG. All went well. Then it was my turn to get prepped for surgery. I went into my assigned room where I was told to change into some paper underwear and a hospital gown. Then a nurse came in and helped me put on my surgical stockings (to decrease the chances of bloodclots). Ater that was done, another nurse came in an started my IV which I was told was simply saline to keep me from becoming dehydrated. I was then given two pills. I can't remember the names of the drugs, but one was to help keep me calm, and the other was too again decrease the liklihood of bloodclots. After that, approximately five minutes later, the Dr. came in to discuss the surgery. After about 15 minutes they came into my room with the wheelchair and asked me if I needed to go to the bathroom. I said no and was then wheeled into the operating room. I hopped onto the table and then there was a little hustle and bustle. I forgot to mention that prior to the Dr. coming into my room, the anestheisiologist (I think I spelled it wrong) came into to introduce himself and explain his purpose in the operating room which solely to keep me alive. So anyway, I climb onto the operating table...needless to say I was extremely nervous and thinking to myself, what have I gotten myself into. Is it too late to back out?!!! Anyway, the next thing I know the anestheisologist (there were two) was placing the gas mask on my face and telling me that he was about to start releasing pure oxygen in the mask. I think simultaneously the other Dr. was injecting something into my IV. I remember struggling to keep my eyes open. The next thing I remember was them waking me up and then I was back in my room. Right after surgery, I was very tired. I then felt nauseous. It was very faint at that time, but I knew that as time progressed, it was going to get worse, so I immediately told them and within five minutes they were injecting something into my IV and the nausea was gone. About a half an hour later, they brought me this breathing apparatus which I was told to breathe into every hour for five minutes. This was to help me get the gas up out of my lungs. About an hour or so later, I was given some ice, Water, and capri suns to SIP on. I was then instructed that it was very important for me to walk. So I did. I was told that I did not have to spend the night in the clinic but I opted to do so just as a precaution. Let me say this... I was extremely blessed. The only pain that I felt was muscle pain from where my port was placed. I did not have the gas pain, nor the shoulder pain. My port is not even hurting at this point and people usually complain of having port pain even months later and I am only three weeks post op. The real test however has been the post op liquid diet (3 weeks). Thank God tomorrow I start my solids). I must say though that as time passed the diet got easier and I have lost 19 pounds total. Initially, I had a problem with heartburn...nothing major, but for the most part that has not even been a problem. I will be getting a fill in about three weeks so we'll see what happens then. Nonetheless, it was a great experience. Just follow doctors orders...eat like you are supposed to, and ALWAYS tell your doctor about any problems you are having no matter how small. You will do great!!! I promise you!!! They did give me pain pills too. I only took one which was placed under the tongue. I really didn't even need that one, but I took it as a precaution for the plane ride home which was slightly uncomfortable, but very bearable.

Here is my simple and short story! I arrived at the hospital at 9:15 am, at about 9:45 a nice nurse called me back. He got my weight, height, etc. Took me to a room and had me pee in a cup to confirm I am not prego. Then he had me change into the oober fashionable hospital gown. A guy from x-ray came and did a chest x-ray, which took about 5 mins. Then another nurse came in and started an iv, put the nausea patch behind my ear, and then gave me an anti-anxiety pill. Then the anesthesiologist came in and gave me a "happy" shot into my iv. He proceeded to tell me what would be happening once we got to the OR. My mom came in and kissed me and said see ya soon. Thats the last thing I remember. I woke up about 45 mins after surgery, and then got moved up to my recovery room. They had told my mom it was gonna be about 3 before I'd be in my room so she left to get my dad but I was back in my room around 1:15. So I had to hang out awhile alone, but it was ok. I drifted in and out of sleep. Within an hour of getting into my room I was up and walking. I had awesome nurses! They were all very impressed at how fast I was progressing. I started to walk alone even. Then they were able to take off my oxygen, and the leg compresses. My parents got to the room and we hung out for a little bit. But then my dad had to get back to work. I got to call my hubby and talk to him for awhile. I slept about 8 hours and woke up around 4 am. All through the night I ate popsicles and ice chips and drank Water. I got to have chicken broth, and Jello. Once after I got to the room and then again this morning. My surgeon came in and checked my incisions and said you ready to go home! So I was released about 10 and came home. I have been great all day today although I think I overdid it a bit so I ended up taking more vicodin this evening but I feel great. I got permission to have a milk shake on my way home, and then I've been able to drink my liquids and I have done great. I got to have one scrambled egg tonight and it was good but my taste buds are all out of whack! lol! But I am doing great!! I couldn't be happier with my decision to have this done! Good luck to all of you that will be having this done!

Reading everybody's else's "Surgery Day Stories" has helped me, so I figured I would share mine!

I was banded on June 17th, just three days ago. I arrived at 5:45am as I was the first one for the day. They promptly started getting me ready for surgery. Everything was gone good until we got to the IV, which I was worried about because it has become a problem for me. It took 3 painful tries before they were able to get the IV running. Shortly after that they redeemed themselves by giving me my cocktail in my iv. Then they gave me a shot of heparin in my stomach. Thank god they waited until after the cocktail! Then they wheeled me off to the OR. Once in the OR they had me move to another table and I could see everyone setting up for my surgery, which made me even more nervous. So they gave me another cocktail. Next thing I know there was a mask being put on my face and I woke up in recovery. I was in more pain than I expected. I don't know if it's because they repaired a hernia also or what. But it just hurt a little more than expected. The nurse in recovery was great. She kept on giving me fentanyl (spelling) to try and get the pain under control. This went on for about 2 hours. Once stable I asked to go to my room, I was still in pain but the nurse said I would just get more pain meds up there. I was tired of recovery!! So they wheeled me to my room. Where the fun just continued! It took over 15 minutes once I was placed in my room for my nurse to arrive. She was very slow, but nice. So I had to adjust to her pace! She quickly discovered that the new IV machine wasn't working. So she had to replace all my tubing on my IV (I was scared to death that they would have to replace the entire IV, but they didn't), which still didn't work, then she had to replace the IV machine 3 times before getting one that worked. So in the meantime I was waiting for my pain meds, and getting grumpier and grumpier! It wasn't until 1:30 that I finally started feeling some relief and things started settling down. Then a steady flow of people just kept coming! I had to have my finger pricked every 6 hours, and a shot of heparin every 12. They were alternating me between morphine every 3 hours and dilaudid every 4 hours. For some reason the dilaudid couldn't be given thru the IV, so that was a shot. The morphine started giving me a headache so we stopped that and just continued with the dilaudid. Once my pain had leveled off I began walking and walking and walking. I walked the hall 9 times the first night. I was proud of myself! I had some gas in my left shoulder that I couldn't get moving. Nothing seemed to work. By the morning the pain was manageable. I walked 2 more times around the hall before having my upper GI. Once the doctor said it was ok I was given hot tea, chicken broth & Jello and a 2 tbls cup to drink with! I had 2tbls of tea, a few sips of broth and a few tiny bites of Jello and I was done. I was not allowed anything on day one except for swabs to wet my mouth. so this meal was delicious! My surgeon came to see me after my meal and said that my hernia was the largest he has ever repaired. So that was why I was in so much pain. But that everything had went fine. After that I was given my instructions and sent on my way! I did get a shot of pain medicine before going home. I had an hour drive, so I'm glad I did.

It is now day three and the pain is getting better, but I'm just kind of uncomfortable. I scared of eating too much or too fast and feeling the pain everyone refers to on here. So I have had very, very little to eat thus far. I will try a little more today.

Thanks for reading and sorry it got so long!