Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Surgery Day Stories

I am confused as to how many people say they "took blood" - why do they take blood before surgery - I have had to get my blood work done this week for my June 27th surgery. Seems a little late to take blood once you are already there ready for your surgery - Thanks.

March 6th 2008…

This Thursday was a long time coming. The journey to get there started years before and failed attempt after another found me switching insurance companies and finally, finally committing to the whole idea. On January 7th, 2007 I was on my way to this day, the day that was going to change my life.

I went to bed rather late, but didn’t worry too much about my 5:30am arrival time. I was going to be sleeping most of the day anyway right? Well, I did the no food or drink after 9am thing which is traditional. I packed light and wore baggy clothes, jammy pants and a t-shirt to be exact. Unfortunately for me, it was also my time of the month (this doesn’t affect the surgery).

First thing I learned.

Just because they told me to be on time didn’t mean they would be. My boyfriend and I were there 15 minutes early and waited another 30 before he prep-crew opened the doors. They made up for it by being nice.

I was assigned a bed and asked to change into hospital wear which included their underwear and their feminine pads. I hope to god I’m not on my period the next time I have surgery!!!!

And though I packed light, none of it stayed with me. It all went with my boyfriend. My clothes, my book, my glasses, all the things I brought for my one night stay, gone!!!

No big, but it was kind of weird not having my glasses. (You can’t wear contacts, the anesthesia can dry your eyes out to the point the contacts will glue to your eyes.)

During prep, the nurses hooked up IVs, talked to me a little about my surgery and what I was having done. They answered all of my questions and then I waited and waited until being moved to another room.

There, a nurse checked my tubes, got me a warm blanket and basically double checked me and my information. My Anesthesiologist also came by and asked me a few questions about my medical history, my reactions to anesthesia and made sure my C-PAP pressure was right. ( I was told not to bring mine, they would take care of it. Some places ask you to bring your c-papa).

All in all it was very smooth and every one made me feel safe. I had no doubt they were paying attention and I wouldn’t accidentally get the wrong surgery or anything like that. ( I would go nuts if I got the bypass by mistake).

They wheeled me into surgery and I was out before I new it.

When I woke up I could hear voices. I felt people touching me, checking my pulse and things like that. It took some time for me to come back fully to my senses and I’m not sure I actually did until another hour later.

As I laid there I could feel my incisions, just slightly, like a itty bitty sting. I also thought that I didn’t feel that much different. Somehow I thought it’d feel like something was inside of me. I was thinking this as my Surgeon came up to me.

She was smiling and jubilant. I smiled back the best I could. She looked away for a moment then said ‘We didn’t get the band in.”

I heard her clearly. I asked why not and she explained to me what had happened. To tell you the truth I really didn’t hear what she said, just bits and pieces of it.

“I have to lose 30 more pounds don’t I?”

“Yeah.”, she said. Was she surprised I knew that? Was she just humoring the numbers I tossed out? I don’t know. But I was right and that’s what I had to do.

I wasn’t upset at that moment. I took it all in stride and said “I got to do what I got to do and what’s the difference? I’m still losing weight.”

I was sent back to the original staging area and there I was in the way. I called my Mom to come get me because I had sent my boyfriend to work, thinking I’d rather have him take the next day off rather than this one.

The nursing staff was still nice, but it was hard not to notice to them I was now taking up space. They needed the bed I was in. They needed to get other patients into their surgeries.

I did my best to be patient and you know what I did? As soon as my Mom got me I asked to go out to eat. I think it was a fuck you, a bit of anger, a bit of something bubbling inside of me.

I started healing that day physically. My incisions weren’t so bad. If I swallowed too much, too fast I just stopped eating or drinking and it would pass. I imagine having the band will feel similar to that.

I spent the next few days thinking, ignoring the failed surgery, then I allowed myself to get angry. I took a few days off of my “diet”. I reset myself and got ready to give it all another go.

It’s May 29th now. I haven’t lost the weight as quickly as I would’ve liked. There are many factors to that, some medical, some psychological. I’m getting there though. I’m doing what I need to and I know I will have a second chance. Hey isn’t this all about second chances?

May 19th was surgery date- all went pretty smoothly-

10 day pre-op liquid diet was ok nothing to write home about after day 3 life was pretty good-

Got to the hospital on 5/19 for 6:45 am as I was told to do- never got brought back for set up until 8 am- what a long wait, normal stuff happened pretty darn fast- IV, Meds, Doctors visit, etc 8:30 am wheeled into OR- don't recall much other than getting the happy meds in my IV within 2 minutes I was out.

Woke up in recovery about an hour later, stayed there until my room was ready at 12:30- dozed on and off all day- had the room mate from hell she was pissed that she was in the hospital and decided to make me pay for it by having her cell phone ring at all hours, her tv up on high, the nurse finally brought me in some ear plugs! She refused to turn down her TV.

Tuesday, came I had my swallow test darn that stuff is nasty tasteing, I got my first drink of Water in well over 24 hours it was soo good, I passed the swallow test, they removed the IV I got dressed, called my sister for a ride and was home by 2:00 pm the next day, I didn't have to have pain meds which I was pretty amazed at- but I felt good.

There have been moments when I wonder why I did this but for the most part I'm happy and I know I'll be happier once the weight finally comes off, its just a slow process thats all.

take care everyone.:thumbup:

I am so thrilled to read everyone's stories!! I just had my band put on 2 days ago (May 28th). After 4 years of jumping through hoops...my dream came to fruition!! My doctor was Vince Lusco III @ St. Mary's and Elizabeth hospital in Louisville KY. I highly recommend him, his group and the entire Sts M&E bariatric group to anyone looking for a surgeon in this area!!! I have never experienced such support and love from people as I have here!! There is even one of the RNs who had the band a couple of years ago--and she is a REAL help!! :w00t:

My operation day was pure joy!! I was prepped, operated on and sent safely home in less than 8 hours!! AMAZING!! And I felt great!! The only "complaints" I guess I have are that my throat is a bit sore (from being intubated) and that my esophagus keeps spasming. But I hear that is all normal, so I am not terribly afraid.:tt2:

I am so excited to get to start my new life!! A life free of diabetes, hypertension and, maybe sleep crapnea!!! I want to get back into high heels...and take ballroom dancing lessons with my Brian!!!:wub:

I had my surgery today (May 30th) by Dr. Spivak in Houston, TX! I was in my room by 6:30am and a little after 7:00 they took be down stairs to get my IV started and wait. There were 2 other ladies that came down after me so we chatted for a bit... Woke up in recovery around 9:30 and was back in my room by 10:45. There were several patients in the recovery room having a lot of pain (one was a bander that went in after me) so they were busy with them....otherwise I would have made it to my room sooner. My nurses were great!!! I was given a liquid diet lunch of broth and a popscicle... but only ate a bit of the broth, Then I went for a walk... and went to the bathroom!!! Yea me! Then shortly after that the respitory nurse came in... that was around 1:00. I was ready to go home then but had to wait another 2 hours for the doctors nurse to come over from the office to give me my orders. Didn't need any pain meds so far but that may change when I try to go to bed... can't seem to get comfortable. My tummy is sore and I have a little gas but other then that I'm doing great!!! Hope that I continue to do well!!!

I was banded on Thursday, 5/15. I arrived at the hospital at 6:30am for my 8am surgery. After signing in, a nurse came and walked me and my mom back to the 'holding area'. Along they way we stopped and the nurse weighed me, then walked me back to my little cubicle made of curtains. She explained that I was to take these cloths that were in plastic packages and open them and 'wash' my entire body with them. I guess it was some sort of anti-septic wash or something. The cloths were warm, but it sort of gave me the creeps, and my skin felt slightly itchy all over afterwards. So I donned my lovely hospital gown and stylish socks with the rubber treads on the bottom, and hopped up on the gurney to wait. The anesthesiologist came in and asked me a bunch of verification questions while the nurse started my IV. Then my surgeon came in and talked to my mom and me about the procedure, and gave my mom a stack of prescriptions and post-op instructions.

My mom and I sat and chatted for about an hour, and then around 7:30 they came to wheel me into the OR. My mom was given a pager, which they said they would use to contact her when my surgery was over, and they said that my surgeon would come out to the waiting area afterwards to tell her how it went. I kissed my mom and tried not to cry, even though I was REALLY nervous, but I knew if I cried, my sweet mom would start crying too. They put some sort of cocktail into my IV as they were wheeling me out of the cubicle, and I didn't feel it at first. I commented to the nurse that I wasn't sure they had given me enough of whatever it was, because I didn't feel anything yet. She said, "don't worry my dear, you'll start to feel it when you are about halfway down the hallway." Sure enough, I did, and I only have the vaguest recollection of seeing the inside of the operating room before I was out.

The next thing I knew, I woke up listening to this awful moaning and crying, and slowly I realized that it was me! I was in terrible pain at first, but as soon as I started to come around the nurse came over to tell me I was in recovery and everything had gone well. She asked if I was in pain, and I said YES! She asked me on a scale of 1 to 10 to rate the pain, and I think I said 9. They put something in my IV then, and I felt immediate relief. I was in and out of it in recovery for a while, I don't really know how long I was there. I remember that two nurses came over and slid some kind of board under my back, which they said was in order to do an x-ray to make sure the band was placed properly. I kept falling asleep, and I remember a nurse kept waking me up and reminding me to take deep breaths. Apparently my oxygen saturation rate (or whatever it's called) kept dropping whenever I'd slip back to sleep.

I don't remember them wheeling me to my room, I think I must have slept on the way. The next thing I remember was seeing my mom and being in the hospital room. I think that was around 1:30pm. The nurse came in and explained that my doctor had ordered that I was to have nothing by mouth the first day, not even ice chips or Water. She pointed to a machine that was hooked up to my IV, and explained that I could push a button every 10 minutes which would dispense more pain medication into my IV as I needed it. She said I wouldn't need to worry about getting up out of the bed until the next day, as I was still catheterized, and wouldn't be expected to pee on my own until tomorrow. She also brought a cup of Water with several swabs which she said I could dip in and swab my mouth, because I was complaining that my mouth was terribly dry. I tried to talk to my mom, but my voice was really really hoarse, because of the tube that had been down my throat during surgery. I needed to cough, but it was difficult because it hurt a lot to do so. The nurse also put those air filled compression thingys on my calves at that point. I kind of liked them, it felt like a nice massage!

My best friend came to visit for a while, and while he was there, I suddenly had terrible pain that went across my entire abdomen. Before that point, I had only been feeling localized pain on my left side under the port incision. I had a terrible time getting any of the nurses to listen to me when I told them the pain pump wasn't even TOUCHING the pain I suddenly had across my abdomen, I was panting and crying and it was really, really awful. My mom was yelling at the nurses to page my surgeon, I was crying and constantly pressing the call button.....after about 20 minutes of this, the pain management nurse finally came in and gave me extra dilaudid in the IV, and that did the trick. After that the pain pump was sufficient at keeping the pain at bay. I fell asleep for about an hour after that, and when I woke up my husband had arrived. My mom and best friend left, and my husband stayed all afternoon and evening until I fell asleep around 10:30pm. By that time the pain was easily manageable with the pain pump, and my only complaint was that I was desperately thirsty. The nurses came all through the night to continue checking my vitals, and I woke up fully around 8am on Friday morning.

My husband came back on Friday as soon as I woke up, and stayed with me the rest of the day until I was discharged, around 4pm. I was allowed to begin sipping water as soon as I woke up, and then I had some broth and some apple juice for Breakfast. Around 10am a nurse came to remove the catheter, which didn't hurt as much as I feared it would. It was just more of an uncomfortable pulling sensation. Around 11:30am the nurse came in to remove my IV, saying that I had to try to manage the pain on oral meds, to see if I'd be OK going home. She also said that I had to get out of the bed and walk to the bathroom, and urinate on my own, otherwise they wouldn't discharge me. I got up and did manage to go, thank goodness! My husband did a cheer with me in the bathroom! (Celebrate the small stuff!) Then after lunch, which was more broth, more apple juice, and some Jello that I couldn't bear to eat (why does hospital Jello taste so different from jello at home???) I did laps around the hospital floor with my husband.

My surgeon came in to see me around 2pm and looked at my incisions and chatted with me for a while. He said as long as I was feeling OK that I could be discharged without seeing him again later in the day. I ended up leaving around 4pm, after my husband got all of my prescriptions filled at the hospital pharmacy.

I took a dose of liquid pain meds just before leaving the hospital, so the ride home wasn't that bad. It was worse trying to get into and out of my non-raising-and-lowering bed once I got home! I sort of had to roll in and out, because it hurt a lot to use my stomach muscles. I also had to sleep on my back the first two nights, because it hurt too much to lay on either side.

The first two or three days after I got home were the worst for me. I definitely had more than a few moments of thinking - what have I done to myself? Especially after I got stuck and slimed on WATER the day after getting home from the hospital. I was so swollen that I had to take the tiniest sips of water or broth or I would get that golf ball in the throat feeling.

But each day got better and better, and now, 2 weeks out, I feel SO much better. I have a fair amount of restriction still - I don't know if that's still swelling from the surgery or what, but I don't have to take tiny sips anymore. I mean, I can't gulp like I could pre-band, but it's manageable. The only pain I have is really just a sore feeling around the port incision. It still hurts a little bit using my stomach muscles, but not enough to stop me from doing everyday activities. It's also a little bit uncomfortable sitting straight up at my desk at work with "work" clothes on (as opposed to the sweats I lived in for a week after surgery), but as long as I get up and walk around every hour or so, it's manageable.

I'm down 11.5 pounds, and feeling hopeful for the future!

I don't think the day could have gone better for my surgery.

We arrived at about 6:45 for my 7:00 a.m. check in. Surgery was scheduled for around 10:00. I was on the "fast track" to get in, so all I had to do was go back and let them draw blood and check my vitals, then they put me in a room where I was told to change clothes.

I had a very chic, slate blue gown that was nowhere near big enough, and matching gray socks with treads on the bottoms. Daughter took a pic. I shall delete it as soon as I find her camera. :P

I was in the room for about 1 1/2 hours, due to the surgery before me taking a bit longer than they expected, but then I was wheeled into the prep room. There were at least half a dozen people who came to see me and talk to me, including the anesthesiologist, and Dr. Stahl, my surgeon. I know a couple of them were students who were observing everything, and that was fine. They were all super nice.

An IV was started in my left hand (my preference), then those nifty leg massagers were placed on me. They told me they were going to give me something to help me relax.

I don't remember anything else until I woke up in my room about 3:00 p.m. I looked at the nurse and said, "am I next" and she laughed and said "honey, you're done". I think I said thank you, then drifted back off, but they made me wake up and talk to them, and they started giving me ice chips to suck on. I got up about 3:30 and went to the bathroom with no problems whatsoever.

I had already been told I'd be spending the night since I have sleep apnea - they apparently make all of their sleep apnea patients stay overnight. That was fine with me, except I got the bejeezus scared out of me about 2:00 a.m.

They had a shift change, and both of my overnight nurses were men. Not a problem. But I apparently forgot where I was, and when they came in at 2:00 to check vitals and give me my next round of antibiotics and pain meds, I woke up to find a strange man standing over my bed and I nearly decked him! LOL

It was funny after it was over, but yikes! I would have felt so bad if I had actually hit him!

Anyway, I was awake about 7:00 when they brought in a food tray with strawberry jell-o, chicken broth and tea. I ate a few bites of the Jello, but couldn't stomach the broth. I drank a little of the tea, but decided to stick with plain Water and ice.

I was up and down most of the night going to pee, but other than that I wasn't required to do any other walking.

The morning after, I took a shower and they released me by 10:00 to go home.

The ride home was a little bumpy, so I was just a little uncomfortable, but once I got home and settled into my recliner I was fine.

I slept in the recliner the first night, and propped on the couch for the second night because it was just too uncomfortable to lay flat, but I think that was more from the gas than anything else.

Today is morning 3 post op, and I feel great. I'm still a bit sore around the port area, and still have a little gas, but I'm fine. I even cooked a small Breakfast for my still-sleeping family!

All in all, I had a great experience with a great group of medical professionals at my side.

I had my surgery at Cahaba Valley Medical Center in Alabaster, Alabama, and I highly recommend their facility and staff!

I was just banded this past Thursday in Mexico by Dr. Arturo Rodriquez and so far so good. Minus one very painful issue!

I left for Mexico on Wednesday 5/28 and arrived shortly after midnight. There was a very nice gentleman there to pick me up and take me to my hotel. I headed to the hospital at 7AM the next day and was surprised by how nice the hospital was. Very quiet and better than the one I worked at in Denver! They had a coordinator who spoke excellent english with me the whole time through pre-op and post-op who could explain everything to me. I was soooooo nervous I nearly lost it on the way to the operating room but everyone was so nice and calming I was able to keep it together.

When I got out of surgery - I thought I was going to die! The one bad thing about the whole Mexico experience was the severe lack of pain control. I started crying in the post-op area and finally got someone's attention and they gave me some more pain meds - not nearly enough. The whole rest of the day and night was pretty awful. Dr. Arturo came in around 7PM and was really ticked at the nursing staff. I finally got a few hours of relief but again not nearly enough.

The next day I went back to my hotel and Dr. Arturo gave me some pain medicine that wasn't nearly strong enough. A few other women and I went to the mall with the local cordinator for a walk which was torture - but of course needed. That night I paced around my hotel room and didn't sleep a wink. The other women who had the surgery the same day I did felt the same as me, but there was another woman who had the surgery the day before who was just fine with the pain control. Maybe its just my pain tolerance? I am not sure what they use in the states for pain control and lap bands, but I can tell you my C-section was less painful than my lap band.

When I finally got home yesterday I popped a few percocets I had left from a surgery this past winter and slept for nearly 11 hours. Today with the percocets, I feel soooo much better and can see the light at the end of the tunnel. The gasx seemed to work well too and so does all the walking I have been doing.

Right now I would never, ever do it again. BUT I have already lost 5lbs. and have a feeling I will change my mind in a few months. The Mexico staff and Dr. were totally wonderful and I would not hesitate to recommend them. However, I was very disappointed with how my pain was handled and I think its just a Mexico thing in general.

I am hoping that as time passes I will forget the pain issues - especially as the weight comes off! I know in the end it will be worth it, but right now all I can think about is how I would have killed for a Vicodin or Percocet when I was in Mexico.

Nicole

Banded 5/29

My surgery was set for May 9, 2008. The morning of my surgery I woke up at 6:00am. The first thing I had to do that morning was pee in a cup that my doctor had given me 2 days prior. The Urine sample was to make sure I was not pregnant before surgery, EVEN though I told my doctor I AM a VirGin. But anyways, then my parents, my grandparents, and I left town for the Hospital...About 1 hr. away. When I got there I got checked in and they took me in this big room with rows and rows of beds with ppl in them that were going to be having surgery that day. I put my gown on, and the nurses asked me lots of questions, like... Have u had anything to eat or drink since midnight? and stuff like that. Then, One nurse put my IV in my arm, while the other put an ice pack on my lower stomach. Once, my stomach was numb they gave me two shots. One for my nerves and I not sure what the other one was for, but both shots gave me huge bruises on my lower stomach, which took for ever to go away. Ok then the nurses left my little curtain area and I started to slightly freak out, and I started have chest pains. My mother called the nurses and they ran an EKG test on my heart to make sure I was ok. My EKG came back Normal. The my very sweet anesthesiologist came in my room and talked to me, and comforted me. Then my mom and dad came in my room gave me hugs and kisses and they told me they loved me and they were so proud of me for making the decision to save my own life. Then the nurses came in and placed some things around my lower legs to keep me from getting blood clots, they more or less just massaged ur legs constantly, they felt pretty good to me. THEN at 9:00am a nurse rolled me down a long hallway and I remember we talked about Tine Turner going back on tour. Apparently, the medicine for my nerves was kicking in! Haha. When I got in the op-room it was so cold, I tried not to look around at all the tools and stuff, I didnt want to freak myself out. Like i said the nerve meicine was taking effect, and I asked the doc and the nurse if they were going to take my gown off once I got to sleep, they said yes. I said well how about I just take it off now and save ya'll the trouble. Everyone in the room died laughing, around that time the anesthesiologist put a mask on my face, and said brethe in... A couple Hours later I woke up in recovery, no pain .felt fine. I asked to see my mom and the nurse said that I could see her in my hospital room in a few minutes. the nurse called transport and two very cute guys came to get me and since I was so out of it, I apparently told the two men that I had extremely bad gas and that I needed to fart really bad. Once I got to my room,I dont remember getting in my bed or anything. I do slightly remember waking up an hr or so later and saying everyone in this room needs to get out, ya'll are making me nervous. :) I can't believe I said that to all my family in friends, I was so out of it. No Pain. I slept most of that day, every once in a while my mom would wake me up to make me breathe in that tube thing that keeps u from getting pneumonia. and she would ask me if I was in pain, I really wasent in any pain, I felt gas in my stomach, and when I would get up to walk, I felt weak and sore, but it really wasent that bad. Even though I never told my nurses I was in pain, they continued to give me morphine throughout the first 24-hrs. Thats prob. why I felt no pain. the morning after my surgery my doc came to my room and looked at my incisions and answered some questions about what liquids I could drink and when i could shower, and they he said go home and walk, walk, walk. the gas will no go away unless u walk, walk,walk. plus if u dont u could get blood clots. Then I left the hospital. He gave me some pain meds to take home, I think I had 12 pills, but I think only took 3 of them total, because I couldnt use the bathroom, because I was so drugged up. So I had to get off of them so I could have a bm. THe first couple of day after may surgery I laid on my moms couch and rested, watched tv, and drank lots of red gatorade. every hr. my mom made me walk to the mailbox and back. I also took milk of mag and that helped with the gas, although I did have quite a bit of shoulder pain from the gas... Um I was on liquids for 14 days and then I was on soft foods, now I am eating normal, and doing well. any questions, feel free to ask. good luck to all.

Edited by SweetCrazySarah

:Ok, so on my surgery day, May 22, I was at the hospital at 8:30, and waited about 30 minutes untill a nurse called me back. I was taken to a little cubicle type room (closed with a curtain) and I had to change into a robe, and get into the little bed. A nurse came and took my BP and put on those crazy boots (the ones that keep your circualtion going). A few minutes later, I chatted with my surgeon and my anesthesiologist. He gave me a little med to relax me, and I felt SO much less nervous! After that, it was only about 15 minutes untill they wheeled me down the hall to the OR. They had me slide over onto the table, and put an oxygen mask over my face. I remember maybe counting down to 8...? ;-p I was totally out!

The next thing I remember was being in the recovery room. I was sleepy sleepy, and my mouth was SUPER dry. The nurse asked me if I was in pain, but since I only rated my pain a 2 on the scale, I was given little medication (and that was fine, I was comfy). I slept about two hours in the room, untill the nurse let me know I was being taken up to a room for the night (my doc prefers to keep his patients over night). So I was rolled up to the room, where my parents had been waiting. I don't remember much after that, until much latter in the day. I was sleeping alot and my face kept going all flushed, so my mum maid me walk around and all, and then I felt a little better. Honeslty, I just wanted to sleep sleep sleep! In the evening, I had some visitors, and about ten, the nurse gave me the most kick ass pain med. ever! :-) Hehehe, it was one through the IV and it made all your muscles feel so so strange! Anyway, I liked it! Hehe.

My mom stayed with me, and she said I was talking and conversing, but I don't remember anything after ten that night! Hehehehe...wonder what I said.

Anyway, the next morning, I was taken for my Barium Swallow at 7am and it was waaaaay too early. I slep for awhile, ate some broth and coffee, and the nurses made me walk. As soon as I kept down some lunch, they freed me!

It was not bad at all! Nothing nothing to worry about, even if you have to stay overnight. Everything was comfy, and just give your self a bunch of time to sleep and you'll be great! :-)

Good luck to EVERYONE! :thumbup:

I'm curious about the happy pill they gave you before they put your IV in. I had breast cancer and 10 surgeries and lost of high powered antibotics and now my veins are shot. I'm being banded July 11 and the main thing I'm worrying about is them trying to get a IV in my arm. I'm wondering if they will give me something before they start digging in my arms.

Thank you for sharing your story!

Waynette

Waynette,

I would talk to the doctor or admitting nurse that you need a specialist to get a vein with your past history. No they didn't give me a happy pill before surgery just the regular deep breaths and you're out. The rest of the surgery and recovery has been really easy. (not the eating or should I say drinking part)

I had my surgery a week ago today. Left for the Hospital at 5:30 AM to arrive for my 6:00 AM check-in. Sat in the registration area waiting room for about 20 minutes then got called back for registration where they verified my insurance, asked about which of my doctors other than surgeon I want to have a report sent to (if any), do I have a will, who to contact in emergency, who will be taking me home, who will be with me when I get home, etc. The receptionis gave me all of my paperwork and sent me down the hall to another waiting room.

About 5 minutes later, about 7:00 AM I was called back to the pre-op room, just a large room partitioned with curtains. They gave me a gown, some stockings and footy socks and a plastic drawstring bag to put all of my personal items into. She told me to remove all clothing, put the gown on with opening in the back, instructed me on how the stockings go on then put the socks over the stockings put my personal items in the bag and get in the bed.

First thing they did was draw blood. One at a time, the nurses, assistants, anesthesiologist, and surgeon came in asked their questions had me sign their forms, talked to me about their role in the surgery and then left. A nurse came in and inserted the IV, they put a numbing agent on my hand first so it wasn't very painful. They put an anti-nausea agent into the IV and Took my blood pressure heart rate etc. Before I knew it I was being rolled down to the operating room at around 7:30

I don't remember a whole lot after that. They rolled the gurney up to the operating table, untied the back of my gown and had me slide onto the operating table. They added armrests to either side of the table so that my arms were straight out to my sides. I remember her attaching first the right armrest, then the left one. She asked me how it felt, I said the left side was a little too low she was in the middle of adjusting it and suddenly I was waking up in the post-op room. The nurse asked me how I feel, the tubes had caused a sore throat but other than that I was fine. She rolled me into recovery and that motion made me Soooo nauseous, I must have turned green because she hurried and got me a puke bowl and some anti-nausea meds. I didn't get sick but was very greatful for the meds.

Recovery was supposed to take a couple hours but it took longer for me. I also had hiatal hernia repair which made it very hard to breath, I got very sweaty after the nauseous ride on the gurney and it took me a little longer to shake the nausea. The nurse was wonderful, she helped me to the reclining chair when I was ready, tried a different cocktail of anti-nausea meds and brought me ice. Finally I felt like I could go to the bathroom (which was a requirement), She helped me to the bathroom and waited outside until I was done.

I was getting dressed to go home at about 2:00 PM and wheeled out to the car at around 2:20.

Edited by Jodi_620

Congrats, honey!!! Hope the discomfort is easing up. I'll tell a little secret that has helped me beyond belief!! Gas-X strips, several times a day and Pepcid. TRUST me, it will help you with much of the discomfort. Also, I am having some pretty sharp pain on my left side where they had to go through the muscle. This is very normal and I found relief in a warm shower and intermittent heating pad use!! Good luck, sweetheart!! It is getting better!!!

I talked to the Doctor and he looked at my neck and said they could get one in my neck. I'm really freaking out at the thought of them putting it in my neck. Has anyone else had the IV put in their neck? I think I'd almost rather them put it in my foot. I know it seems like a silly thing to be concerned over but the last time I was in the hospital they broke every vein in my hands and arms trying to get a IV in. They finally got one in that hurt so bad. Of all the surgeries I've had, that sticks in my mind more than anything else.

Waynette