Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Surgery Day Stories

My surgery was June 18th in Springfield, MO with Dr. Christopher Edwards. I was to be at the hospital at 7 a.m. and my daughter and I were. Went to the appointed nurses station and was called back to a room only after a few minutes. My minister showed up right when they were drawing blood for a pregnancy test (I told them I hadn't been exposed in almost a year! but they had to do it anyway!) so my minister prayed with me and my daughter and then left. The hospital chaplin came by a few minutes later and he prayed also. So I had a lot of prayers being said in my benefit that morning! At 8:30 they called my room and told me to go ahead and get dressed in the smashing gown and slippers they left for me and I would be ready to go! So a cutie surgery tech came and got me, took me and my daughter to the surgery area, where the hugs are handed out... LOL and she stayed in waiting area and I went to the holding pen! Talked with surgeon, happy juice guy:thumbup:, and a couple nurses, answered all their questions. Got my IV and then the happy juice was introduced.

By 9 a.m. I was in surgery, they asked if I had any last questions before they put the mask on me and I said, well really not a question but a request. I told them I expected to see a Tummy Tuck thrown in for free when I woke up! I got a room full of laughs on that one. Then I was gone!

Woke up about hour later, surgery only took 45 mins.!!! Surgeon told my daughter my liver looked really good. I was in recovery for about an hour and then back to my room. I was still pretty groggy and they came in and got me up (I was still a little woozy at that time), I did the initial urinating for them to make them happy and changed back into my clothes and I left the hospital at 12:45 p.m. and was home by 2:30 p.m.... so it went real quick.

I have felt pretty good, occasional gas pain, but mainly just soreness at port site.

So all in all I had a good surgery, short and sweet!

I'm on my 2nd week. I need to drink slower or I swallow to much air. sip sip sip Other wise everything is great I've lost 7 lbs since being banded 22 total. :rolleyes2: Wow

Hey Everyone,

My surgery was yesterday, June 19th. I reported in at 6:30 a.m. for surgery at 8:00 a.m. Did all the paperwork, changed into the gown, laid on the gurney, and promptly received the Heparin shot in the fatty part of my arm (that would be the part that swings)...the shot didn't hurt, it was after they took out the needle, you could feel it burning...so I rubbed it. Then I got the IV stuff put in my hand. It was all good. They wheeled me in about 10 after 8 and I got to joke with the doctors about playing some good ole rock and roll while they operate...the mask went on...and it was peace OUT!

Woke up in recovery. Was doing ok, but the little girl next to me looked like my niece and she was crying for her mommie. They were singing funky songs to her and I croaked out that they needed to sing Disney songs. After a while, they transferred me to my room and hooked me up to the morphine machine. Any time I wanted some, I could press the button. I left it alone for the most part and used it at night to sleep. Did lots of walking and although they tried to help me out, I told them to leave me alone. This is something I should be able to do since I've been working out so hard...and I did. It was all good.

Nothing by mouth though. That's the rough thing about having surgery early...you suffer for a full 24 hours dreaming of ice cool Water. I finally got my barium swallow around 9 a.m. Although they used something other than barium...it was a foul, bitter tasting liquid, but it was cool watching it go down through the band. They took the time to point everything out. I liked that. When we went back to the room, within an hour, they brought me tea, apple juice, broth and Jello. I asked for cold Water though. I drank part of the broth, but it was too salty for me, the tea was HEAVEN! Jello was ok, and I diluted the apple juice with the cold water like I was taught.

2 hours after that, they brought me Stage II stuff, so I ate vanilla pudding, pureed broccoli Soup, more wonderful tea, and cottage cheese. I ate half the pudding, couple of bites of the cottage cheese, some of the Soup and all of the tea. Then I got the go ahead to come home. The drive was a little long, looks like everyone is escaping SF. But now I'm home with a huge bottle of liquid vicodin...oooooohhhhh. Haven't needed it yet. Going to hold off till bed time.

I have to thank all of you though. I wasn't the slightest bit nervous, knew what to expect and it made it so much easier. Thank you everyone!

Ohmygosh, Pen! They let you eat soft foods the same day as the surgery and sent you home that afternoon? My partner has been on a liquid diet for 10 days, will be staying in the hospital overnight, and will be on Clear Liquids for 4 days before transitioning to another two weeks of non-clear liquids, then two weeks of very soft/pureed foods, then soft foods, then on to solids. There sure is a lot of variation in how doctors approach this procedure.

May I ask if you are being covered by insurance or if you are paying by yourself? I'm curious as to whether self-pay patients are given a faster entry and exit into and out of the procedure.

I'm glad it was easy enough for you to be able to go home that afternoon.

BadgerMom

I was covered by insurance. They wanted to make sure I'd have no complications swallowing the foods they expect me to be on the next 2 weeks. Also, they put the band on with no fill. Some doctors put a fill in upon placement, so that may change what the patient eats.

I know what you mean. The inconsistency between doctors is enough to make a sane person crazy. I feel great though. It took me a couple of hours to get through the Protein drink this morning and I'm sipping on a prune juice Water cocktail because Vicodin blocks me up. I had some last night to sleep, but not any today, so far (the husband's not happy, so I may have to have a little soon).

If your friend had it done at UW - they are insanely and ridiculously rigid. I say this as a medical professional. I was banded in IL and they are strict (of course I had no solid foods for nearly the full first week) - but I think UW is way too anal about this, to the point of being counterproductive.

Hi I had my surgery on June 20th 2008 at 8:30 a.m. at St. Vincents in Bridgeport, CT. I woke up from surgery in alot of pain but they immediately gave me some meds.. I kept saying I want to walk because I knew the gas pain was what was killing me.. So within an hour I was walking. I went to the bathroom and looked at my tummy. I was very surprised that one of the scars was as long as my ring finger. The others were just little. No staples.. looked like glue.. pretty cool. I hate staying in the hospital so at 1:00 p.m. same day we checked out of hospital and checked into a hotel "homewood suites" much more comfortable. I have to say the gas pain was horrendous. It actually is still kinda painful. So keep walking as much as possible.. drink as much as you can and take gas meds. Gasx strips seem to work the best for me. Maalox also helped. I don't think I can go back to work this week definetly monday. I was definetly thrown for how sore and gassy i would be. On third day had diarrhea which was a surprise.. so far since I started the Optifast pre op diet on June 6 I have lost 29 pounds. I am happy I did it! Good luck to all and if anyone is from southeastern CT email me! 1morrisfamily@comast.net. I am looking for a local buddy! xoxo

Just thought that others would like to hear a smooth lap band story. I arrived at the hospital at 8:30 for my 11:30 surgery. I was taken to a room where I was given a gown and the socks with the treads. I was weighed and asked some questions about what I was there for. Then I was given the shot in my "love handle" for stopping blood clots. It didnt really hurt but it did leave a burnng sensation for a few minutes. I was in that room until 10:30 where I was hanging out and talking to my family. At 10:30 they came and got me and wheeled me to pre-op. There I was given my IV. Always the worst part for me because I have no veins. I wound up with two IV's. One in the bend of my left arm and one in my left wrist( very painful) Then I was taken to the operating room at 11:30. I was moved to the operating table and had my arms strapped down. They put something in my IV and had my breathe into the mask and I was out instantly. I woke up in the operating room and was very confused and shaky. They then wheeled me to the recovery room where it said it was 12:45 and I woke up just fine. I layed there and talked to the nurses for 2 hrs. They then sent me up to my room for my over night stay. My family was already there waiting for me. Of couse they came in and took my vitals. I had no real pain, it just felt like I had done a lot of ab excercises. The worst part was after the took out the catheter. I had the feeling like I had to pee really bad but nothing came out. It was very frustrating but normal. Its caused by the anesthisia.(sp) I spent most of the night in the bathroom trying to pee. I asked for pain meds every 4 or so hours. The doctors told me not to go to long without it. The meds acted fast but wore off fast. The next morning I started on liquid loritab because they said that is what I would use at home. I got home yesterday at 3. Had to wait to get the barium swallow done. everything looked good so I was released. Im supposed to drink one ounce of liquids every 15 minutes. The only pain I have is some shoulder pain from the gas and some stomach pain I think also from gas. My incision sites do not hurt at all. Good luck sorry my post was so long. Hope it helped someone!

I was also banded on the 23rd. Congrats to everyone who is on and who are begining this journey.

I was banded on the 24th. It went pretty smooth, but only thing I had for pain was Aleve. Each day is getting better. Way to go, all!

I was banded on the 24th also! Things went fine - I cannot say it was pain free but nothing like what I expected. In fact, the worst part was (and still is) the gas pains in my chest and shoulder - pretty bad. I have been using liquid Roxicet for the pain in the evening so I can sleep - the rest of the day I walk and tolerate it.

Congrats to all the newly banded - hope your procedures went well!

I got my band yesterday June 25. I went into the OR around 1:30-2:00 and was in my own room around 4:30. I immediatly began drinking 1 oz clear Water, tea, broth every 15 minutes. This I continued while I was awake. I was up walking within an hour and waked every 2 hours for 15 minutes. Didn't sleep well, the bed was so uncomfortable and with the gas pains in the shoulder my back was very uncomfortable. I came home around 10:30 and I have continued drinking 1 oz (or a little more) every 15 minutes Taken a bunch of little walks and had a few visitors. Looking foward to getting into my own bed tonight. I am not sure if I few pain exactly, more discomfort and muscle tightness especially where the port is and where my surgeon was working. Every hour is gets better, can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.