Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Surgery Day Stories

I was banded yesterday. Got to the hospital around 6:45, registered, did a urine pregnancy test, and then waited to be called back. I had my two sisters and one of their friends with me, but when I went back I took my youngest sister. I changed into my robe and got settled in the bed. My nurse was super nice. She gave me a pill (already forgot what it was for, heh), and a shot in my belly. Then my IV was started. The surgeon, another nurse, and the anesthesiologist came in to talk to me. Finally, around 9, I was headed back. After moving to the surgery bed, they told me they were dripping something into my IV to calm me down and I was out before too long!

I woke up at about 10:20 and then again at 10:45. I was so thirsty!!! I was wheeled into my room and they made sure my breathing and everything was okay, and then I was taken to x-ray to make sure everything was okay. I was so loopy!! And sore. Finally I was taken back to my room for good, where my sisters were waiting. They told me I had a pretty bad hernia and that was why my surgery took longer than usual. Even with that, I was home by 1, I think? I pretty much slept on and off. Today I forced myself to eat a few spoonfuls of broth and some Protein but I have no appetite. I'm still quite sore. This comes at a bad time since we found out today that we'll be moving out on August 15 instead of mid September! I'm excited for what is coming my way.

Here's my story - so far:

I chose Dr. Ariel Ortiz in Tijuana to perform my surgery -- I don't have insurance, and he has really good credentials, plus the bariatric surgeon that works near the town where I live is familiar with his work and will do follow-ups and fills.

I flew to San Diego yesterday (Sunday) morning, and met with my three cousins that I haven't seen in 10 years! I got off the plane with a terrible headache (wasn't able to have my pre-op diet) so I caved at lunch yesterday and ate a hamburger with avocado and Swiss cheese (no bun or ketchup). Then I went back to the airport and was picked up at 5 p.m. by the driver for the Obesity Control Center. He had my cell and texted me where to meet him, and gave me updates of his time of arrival -- really caring!

There was me and one other woman being picked up at the airport -- she was getting a sleeve. She had her husband with her -- mine couldn't come -- I was flying solo!

The driver took us to the Marriott in Tijuana, about a 20 minute drive, and the OCC had arranged a room for me with a king-size bed. I have to say, the hotel impressed me. The elevator doesn't start until you insert your room key card into a slot in the elevator, and -- get this! -- you have to insert and leave your hotel card in a slot in the room to run the air conditioning and the lights! If you take it out, it stops the electricity -- very green!

I drank a lot of Water before I needed to fast -- I know that anesthetic makes you very thirsty, and I didn't know how long it would be before they let me have anything to drink.

At 6:40 a.m. this morning, I was in the lobby of the hotel, with about five other women, all with their husbands. They came from Alberta (2 Canadians), Las Vegas, Texas, Indiana, and me from New York. We were not all going to Ortiz, just me and the woman from the day before. Although the hotel had a large shuttle van, it was a squish with all the husbands! I had my butt half on and half off the seat for the whole ride!

When I was dropped at the hospital, I was a little skeptical. It was only 7 a.m., and we were dropped in the parking garage to take the elevator; however it was broken so we had to walk, and we weren't sure what floor it was. There were only three flights, and it was on the second floor.

The clean up crew was still there, so we sort of sat and twiddled our thumbs for a few minutes. Then the front desk clerk and a few nurses showed up and things moved very quickly. I was given a packet with a post-op diet and some disclaimer stuff to sign.

I was brought back to have my blood taken. At the same time, the nurse used the injection site as the port for my IV. When I came back to the lobby, I was brought to the nutritionist. She was lovely, and had a Power Point presentation about what to eat and what to not eat. She seems very passionate about her job!

Again, back to the lobby. This time a doctor took me back for an EKG (by the way, all the doctors spoke perfect English -- the nurses, not so much, but they are all very sweet). I told the doctor that I had been just getting over the end of a cold, still had a little cough. This time, I went to a beautifully decorated room with a large hospital bed. There are plants, oriental prints of lilies, and a small gurgling Water statue, and a window, really pretty!

I was told to undress, and given a large hospital johnnie, a pair of paper panties, a cloth shower cap, and a set of little blue booties.

However, as soon as I got into bed, they put compression stockings on me. They started the IV, and in it they also put anti-nausea medications and antibiotics. They put a pill under my tongue for blood pressure control (I don't have high blood pressure, I think it's just a precaution). Then a nurse came in with another needle and gave me a shot in the upper thigh to guard against blood clots.

Dr. Martinez (Dr. Ortiz's right hand surgeon) met with me for about five or ten minutes to answer any questions I had. He was personable, knowledgable, and kind). "Any special requests?" he asked.

"Just don't kill me," I said.

"No, we only do that with patients we don't like," he said. I needed that laugh. He then, of course, went on to explain that with over 10,000 procedures they have had no mortalities. But I could swear he knocked the wooden door frame as he left my room.

After a little while, they helped me with the IV and I was walked to the OR. I met the two anesthesiologists, really nice, and told them my concerns about nausea. I heard that Dr. Ortiz was going to perform the surgery, but I still hadn't met him. Then they put the REAL good stuff into my IV, and the next thing I remember I was waking up in my room.

I was very groggy, dozing in and out but only for about a half hour. All told, that I entered the OR to the time when I was walking around, was only about an hour and a half. Dr. Ortiz came in (I think it was him, he still had a mask on!) and told me I did great, and they had fixed a hiatal hernia (of course at no extra charge). I told him I was sorry I hadn't met him before the surgery, and he told me I had. I told you, they gave me the REAL good stuff!

I have no gas pains whatsoever. They made five incisions, and my port is up and to the left of my belly button (if I'm looking at it). That's really the only place I have pain -- it's swollen and tender. I think the best thing I brought, the most helpful, was an abdominal binder a friend of mine who had a Lap Band placed last year gave to me. It has been invaluable for walking around, and needing less pain meds.

This Dr. performs Lap-Bands as an outpatient procedure -- I was expected to go back to the Marriott tonight -- but I had argued to stay at the hospital before I came here. No I can see why the hotel. I actually feel pretty good! Just super thirsty still.

I'm leaving tomorrow morning at 8 to fly back to NY (the flight is at noon, and the airport in San Diego is only about half an hour away, but I have to cross the border and that can take some major time).

There were a couple of minor things -- their icebox is not freezing the popsicles for some reason, but I'm fine with chicken broth, water, and a Capri Sun! All in all, a good experience so far.....

Sorry, I think it posted twice!

Today is Thursday, August 30 and I had my surgery 2 days ago on Tuesday, August 28. I got to the hospital at 7am and was wheeled into surgery at around 9:30am. I got home about 4pm after stopping at the pharmacy for percocet. I have been miserable since waking up from surgery. I have five incisions, one that is extremely bruised. I can't stop burping and the burping hurts really bad. My neck and shoulders hurt. I can't lay down so I have been "sleeping" sitting up. about 20 minutes at a time. Yesterday was really bad with nausea and dry heaving. I have not had too much to eat or drink as I am not feeling well. I called the doctors office yesterday with some concerns but haven't heard back. Right now I am just feeling so low that I don't feel like I made the right decision. Hoping this all gets better soon. I am not expecting no pain, but I am just miserable.

Oh, Melissa, I'm sorry you're feeling so low! I'm no doctor, but it sounds like you had a reaction to the anesthesia! Poor thing! Just try to sip enough so that you don't get too dehydrated (which can make you feel nauseous), and let us know how today goes after you speak to your doctor.

Hugs,

Blue

I've read other surgery day stories and now can finally post one of my own :rolleyes: .

Aug. 23 - had to be at surgery center at 7a.m. I get there and I'm the only patient there at that time (I think the whole day actually - never saw or heard another one) and I get undressed and put on the pretty gown (NOT) and the slippers. Lay on the bed and my nurse, Monica, comes in. She's super nice, as we've met before. She was my nurse when I went there back in January to have a cyst removed. We talk about our kids and what not and then before I know it the Anesthesiologist comes in and tells me what to expect. He's super nice. I make sure they know about my PVC's (Pre-ventricular contractions) and also ask if they will give me some Versed (they will, thank goodness).

Nurse Monica has gotten my IV in and starts whatever antibiotics draining. Then she tells me about the shot in my stomach and I kinda start getting nervous, but she gives me the shot and next thing they come put the Versed in my IV and I tell my hubby by and away I go.

I get in the OR and I make idle chit chat w/ all in there and I'm sure I sound like an idiot due to the versed. LOL But oh well. Next thing I know I'm waking up in recovery. I don't even remember them telling me to count or anything.

Once in recovery I hear this distinctive voice of my recovery nurse and right away I know who it is. It's the nurse that I used to work with at a juvenile facilty!!! I was relieved to hear a familar voice. I don't remember much other than her asking me about my pain, telling me she would give me more meds, and then telling me she liked my new hair cut/color. LOL Unless I imagined that.

They take me back to my room and there is nice Nurse Monica :) and my hubby :wub: . So glad to reach over and he grab my hand. I feel icky and groggy but no pain in incisions. But pain from the air they inflate you with. I knew to expect that from all I had read on here but MAN I didn't know how bad it would be :(

After eating some ice chips and Nurse Monica helping me get dressed, it was time to go home. I told her I felt naseous so they gave me some pill and it dissolved on my tongue and was fruity tasting. They wheeled me to my car and off to my house I went. Got in bed and that's where I stayed that first day. I think we were home by 1pm or so.

All in all, it wasn't bad. I will admit to a couple of, "What did I do to myself" moments but they are pretty much gone now that I'm 1 week post op.

Looking forward to a healthier, new me!

Oh, Melissa, I'm sorry you're feeling so low! I'm no doctor, but it sounds like you had a reaction to the anesthesia! Poor thing! Just try to sip enough so that you don't get too dehydrated (which can make you feel nauseous), and let us know how today goes after you speak to your doctor.

Hugs,

Blue

Blue, I finally got a hold of the surgeon today. Everything I have been experiencing is normal. What he did tell me that surprised me is that I had stitches inside my stomach from the hernia. This is causing me to not breathe very well when laying down or inhaling sharply. I have been increasing my fluids each day and feeling better and better. I know I have a ways to go. Thank you!

Hey Melissaw,

How are you? I had my surgery on Tuesday 8/28 as well.

I was scheduled to have surgery at 10am. I woke up & felt extremely thirsty. I had major pain in my stomach. Nurses told me the pain was normal being that I have 5holes in my stomach... Being that I take the prescription medication for pain, that has helped me out a lot!! I couldn't sleep on my bed lying down so I slept on my recliner. Luckily I'm doing a little better but I know all well take time to heal. I hope you're feeling better. :-)

Hey Melissaw,

I was scheduled to have surgery at 10am. I woke up & felt extremely thirsty. I had major pain in my stomach. Nurses told me the pain was normal being that I have 5holes in my stomach... Being that I take the prescription medication for pain, that has helped me out a lot!! I couldn't sleep on my bed lying down so I slept on my recliner. Luckily I'm doing a little better but I know all well take time to heal. I hope you're feeling better. :-)

Hey Melissaw,

Hey Melissaw,

Hey Melissaw,

I was banded today in Phoenix at a little past 7am. We had to get there at 5am for check-in and we were staying at a hotel about 30 minutes away so we had to get up at 4am.....that is very early. Especially early for someone who took her cpap machine out of mothballs and tried it for the first time in 2 years and couldn't sleep because it was tickling my nose hairs and pinching my face. I finally gave up and got to sleep around 2am.

Got to the hospital and did the paperwork. Hubby and 7 year old son were out in the lobby and hubby put a movie on the DVD player so he could watch it and stay quiet. The nurse told me they would take me back and my family could join me after they were done poking and prodding me.

This may be TMI, but of course I started my period 2 days before my surgery. They wanted me to get completely undressed and I told them I HAD to wear underwear. So they gave me these mesh panties and a brick sized pad. Well, let me tell you something, the mesh panties and not meant for big girls. I tore one pair before asking the nurse for some scissors to cut the sides a little or I would have no circulation.

I had to share the pre-op room with two other people and the nurse gave the woman in the middle the remote. She put it on the news and all they were talking about was the DNC and I am so sick of politics right now. i would have rather watched QVC!

They gave me a shot in my belly. It didn't hurt at first but the alcohol they used to clean it after burned like hell. After awhile, it kind of ached a little. Then they gave me my IV in my hand. It wasn't so bad. They gave me cute little socks with grippers on the bottom and the compression things for my legs but they said they would put those on right before. I was kind of bummed because I wanted to know what it felt like.

In the meantime, my son is getting upset because he didn't pay attention when I went back and didn't get to kiss me goodbye. He demanded to be back there with me and they eventually got to go back. Not sure why he was so nervous. Maybe it was the fact that my husband joked to our 7 year old son that they were going to carve his momma up like a christmas turkey? Men!

Finally, it was time to go back. I got my kisses and got a little choked up at leaving them. What surprised me was the fact that I kind of got freaked out as they were wheeling me into the OR. I actually considered telling them never mind! I just started praying and God took away my fear.

It was incredibly cold in the OR and the bed they had me move to was really uncomfortable. That is all I remember until I woke up from the anethesia. They asked me if I wanted tea, something or something and the only thing that I could stand was tea. They brought me warm unsweetened tea(which I usually like sweetened with something) but it was the best tasting tea I ever had! I do have a bit of advice though for them: Do not hand a patient who is high as a kite and not in control of her motor skills a warm beverage. I spilled more than I drank.

BTW: Doctor informed hubby I had TWO hiatial hernias. He was able to repair one but I will have to lose some weight for the other.

They made me go to the bathroom and get dressed and then walked me out to the front. It was raining and Hubby busted it in his haste to get the car but he was alright. Just banged up his knee.

Got home and didn't have to use the wheelchair we borrowed from the hotel at all. I just used it to kind of hold on to in order to keep my balance as I wanted down the hall.

I was not in that much pain. I have four incisions and one of them has a major bruise on it. It is later in the evening now and I am really sore like someone punched me but it is not intolerable. I was even able to go out to dinner with hubby and son and I had some broth from some tortilla Soup. We then went to Walmart!

Blessed be: NO GAS PAIN....yet. I felt what I thought was gas so I took a gasx strip but that was it.

Overall, I was pleased with my surgeon. It was sort of a wam bam thank you maam with not really a lot of fussing about but I kind of like that. I didn't really want to stay overnight and they said my surgery was perfect.

To top that off, when the nurse weighed me this morning, I weighed 289!!!! That means I lost 25lbs on my pre-op diet!

Believe me when I tell all of you future bandsters or even people just on a regular diet....if I can do it, anyone can!

I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me.

Thanks for viewing and God bless!

Thanks for the morning inspiration Fostermomma! I can do all things through Him who strengthens me...I'm gonna have to remember that as I am on the pre op diet for a bit.