Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Surgery Day Stories

Hello,

I had Dr Ren as well. I got my lapband on the 19th.

I also believe on that day I got my first girl crush. She is such a beautiful woman.

Anyway, my appt was for 1pm. I fell asleep waiting. Dr Ren and her staff were very attentive. Dr Ren checked In with me often before and after the procedure.

I didn't see her after I got to the room but I can only imagine that she had to be exhausted.

I felt no pain after the Meds, really, none.

I adore my micky mouse shaped, white bandage. I got a heart shape bandage too on the small incision. Thank you NYU WEIGHT MANAGEMENT.

The only thing I remember is walking down the hall to the OR. There was significant difficulty finding a vein for IV. That I remember. Then it was lights out. Hope I behaved when I was under if not I apologize.

Came to with someone asking about pain. It was a 4. After a few shots I was good. Could have gone home but I flew in alone so I stayed over night.

Couldn't sleep all night. Fell asleep about 4am and left at 5 am to catch my flight.

This is now day 4 post op. Little discomfort but I can eat soupy food.< /p>

J

I also had Dr Ren yesterday 9/23 I was her first. the Pre Op staff at NYU were really good. I love my surgeon she is great. I also had a lot of fatty and a hernia that she fixed so I have 5 incisions with Stars and Moons haha. I had some pain when breathing in and they gave me 12 cc of morphine and I got nothing out of that so they tried something else. after my 3rd cocktail they gave me something that was Wow it really zonked me. My worst aftereffect of the surgery is my voice. they had a hard time getting the tube down and I think they nicked a cord on the way down. I got the liquid Vicodin I had some last night but just sore. I am walking alot and drinking alot of liquids. I feel great. No nausea I am farting a lot but other then that just basic soreness.

Hi Jon,

Staff is awesome I agree. I didn't have nausea either.

I've been trying to think of anything negative about my experience there. Can't think of one.

Oh the pain.....lol. That's about it.

I'm not sure if it was the pain or just the fact that after I was aware that I was in a very fragile state.

I got banded today and I have to say I feel better than I deserve! My doctor , dr choi and the staff were great. My only anxiety was praying my blood pressre was good because tha. Is what canceled my procedure on Sept 2. Waking up was a little tough and edge of nausea. But once I got home in my bed I was rather good. My pain Is about a 4 but is tolerable. Would rather not take pain meeds cause it will make me nauseas. End of note it was a good experience and I was given a lot of encouragement that this was a good thing I did and I will be very successful.

I joined the crowd today. I reported to the hospital at 3 A.M. and sat around until 3:30. After checking in I got one of my cool bracelets of the day and was taken back answer more questions and put on the gown. Once I got out of my street clothes and got an IV they brought back my wife. She got back there in time to see me get my Heparin shot. It wasn't too bad, but I still didn't like it. As we chatted the nurse put some compression socks / boots on me. I saw the OR nurse, the surgeon, anesthesiologist, and a PA. All of them had the same round of questions, but that was ok with me. I wanted to make sure we were all on the same sheet of music. ;-) The PA then looked at me, pulled the cap off of a syringe, and said "The Bar is open"... haha WoW. Pretty quick I told my wife "I can feel that already". I remember the PA saying "That is the good stuff". I was pretty much out at that point.

My wife told me that she gave a couple of kisses and they wheeled me off about 5:15 A.M. I do slightly remember a couple of things in the OR. I remember (somewhat) transferring beds, two people asking me to scoot my head back a little, looking down towards the bottom of the bed thinking "that is how the tilt the bed with me on it"... haha.. Not sure what I was thinking. I watched a full LB procedure on Youtube and remember them tilting the bed, so that was probably stuck in my brain.

The next thing I remember is someone saying "Take a deep breath" and called my name. I don't believe I came to right then because I remember looking up at a clock at 6:45 A.M. and no one was next to me. The nurse came over and we moved over to a wheel chair. She said that I would head down to radiology in a few minutes for my drink. Well, an hour and 15 minutes later, they still were not ready for me. They were backed up for some reason. During this time, I did have two waves of nausea which really sucks after having your stomach worked on. Each time it lasted maybe 30 seconds. Finally, after about an hour and 45 minutes I went to radiology. I had one other wave of nausea there. Again, this was short lived and we moved on to that chalky drink. When I was finished they moved me from PACU to something they called Step Down. I sat in there for what seemed like forever. Since I was held up going into radiology, my surgeon went on to another procedure. This meant he was not available to check out the x-rays. This was holding things up. That was fine, since all I seemed to want to do is take a nap.. haha.Once they were cleared, I drank some Water, used the restroom, got dressed, and was discharged at 11:00 A.M and home by 11:30 A.M.

Other than the little delay going into radiology, I would say that everything went great. I am feeling much better than I thought I would. My throat is a little scratchy and I feel like I did 1000 crunches last night, but other than that, everything was great. At this point, I would have no problems doing it all over again. The anticipation is much worse than the procedure.

-K

Wow, you make it sound so easy! The nausea worries me beause in the 2 surgeries I have had I woke up upchucking. But maybe I will bee lucku like you and it will go away. ( They gave me a pill to take before surgery).

I had my surgery on Wednesday, Oct 12th. I had to be at the hospital at 8:45am. As soon as I got there, they brought me in to put on a gown and put me in one of the pre-op waiting rooms. During the time I was in there I saw several nurses (checked vitals, put in IV, etc). I also saw the anesthesiologist, the two doctors, and the bariatric coordinator from the doctor's office. My husband was with me the whole time. At about 11:30am or 12pm, they said it was my turn. I was able to walk to the OR. I was introduced to the nurses who would be in surgery, got up on the OR table, and fell asleep. I woke up in recovery. My husband had been called to come back in since I was out of surgery. As soon as a room was available, they brought me up and offered me ice chips since I was parched. I got up to go to the bathroom. They brought me down to radiology to check the band. Everything was good. I was in some pain, but not too bad. I had a hiatal hernia that was repaired. That seems to have given me the most pain. My chest hurts and it hurts to take a deep breath. I stayed overnight. I didn't sleep very well, probably because after the anesthesia, all I wanted to do was sleep all afternoon. I stayed overnight and did a lot of walking. Got to leave the next day. I'm still a little sore, but I haven't needed any of the pain meds today. I'm having trouble getting in all the Clear Liquids that they expect at the slow rate that they expect you to drink them. But I'm trying. Hoping that everything else will go easily.

My surgery day was October 14th 2011 (two days ago!) I arrived at the hospital at 11:45 AM went to registration and then went upstairs with my mother, boyfriend and friend. They told us to hang out in the waiting room so we did....for over 2 and a half hours. Finally after watching a lot of funny tv shows they called me in. They gave me a hospital gown to put on and awesome grey socks with smiley faces on them. This is my kind of place. I sat in my room that had a bed that was too small for me and the nurses took blood and put my IV in and all that junk. My family finally cam in and after another 2 or so hours to wait. (My surgery was supposed to be at 1:45 and I was wheeled in around 4. They put something in my IV to make me relaxed but it just made it hard for me to breathe and i didnt like it, the nurse asked if I wanted more to see if that would work better and i just said no. So I remembered everything about being wheeled in laying on the operating table and then the doctor put the mask on my face and told me to count and then I fell asleep. I woke up in recovery room with them telling me to breath but with a tube in my throat so I honestly thought I was going to die because I couldnt breathe. The tube came out and then I breathed and everything was blurry. There were a few other people in the room as well. They wheeled me to my hospital room and my mom was standing in the hallway and she talked to me and then my boyfriend was brought in and eventually my other two friends and my sister and her boyfriend. So I had a lot of support. I ended up staying overnight but wasn;t able to sleep much and now I'm doing okay other than the pain in my left shoulder.

I had my lapband surgery on October 18 in Austin, Texas. I was very nervous going to the hospital that morning but it went ok. I had to check in at 9am and my surgery was at 11am. Got registered and then a few minutes later the nurse came to get me and took me to the outpatient surgery rooms. She had me change into my hospital gown after talking to the anesthesialogist, she was very nice, then the nurse took my vitals and put in my iv. She also gave a me a shot of blook thinner because about 5 years ago I had several blook clots and the Dr was taking extra precautions. A little bit later the Dr came by and asked if I was ready and he told me what was going to happen. They wheeled me to surgery and the anesthesialogist was giving me some meds in my iv to start relaxing me. When I got switched over to the operating table they put an oxygen mask on me and told me to start to breath in, all I remember is that , when I woke up I was in recovery and they were asking me if I had any pain. I had to stay overnight because of the type of insurance I had but it was ok because I got to get some rest before going home. I am home now and walking and drinking with no problems so far. I have pain were my incisions are but otherwise doing ok. I'm glad now that I have finally gone through with the surgery, I hope everything else has good outcomes. Hope everything stays going good.

My Surgery day was October 19th!! Two days ago, finally! I was told to be at the hospital at 9am, for an 11:30 am start time. When I arrived I was told that my surgeon had an unexpected emergency that he was dealing with. Long story short, I was waiting until 2pm, before getting prepped for surgery. The wait was a little nerve racking, but I was able to relax a bit longer. They took me in the OR at about 3pm, and I woke up at 4:15. There was some discomfort, also they repaired a hiatal hernia on me. After about an hour in recovery, they brought me back up to my room, and wanted me to walk!! I asked them if they were crazy, they said the sooner you walk the sooner you can go home. I got up and almost threw up, I was so nauseated. Long story short, the nausea finally ran its course. I feel like a million bucks today! Only day 2, incisions are still sore, defiantly still have some gas pains, but all tolerable. I am forcing myself to get the required fluids and Protein in, but I am just not hungary at all. I've never had to force anything down, so its quite a change already. I know there is some swelling still, but am looking so forward to the next chapter in my life!! Good Luck to all of youlaugh.gif

I had my surgery on October 14th. My procedure took place at St. Edwards Mercy Medical Center in Fort Smith, Arkansas. I came in at ten in the Morning, we had a long wait in the waiting room which had no tv. I was finally called back at about 2:00. I really can not tell you details, because I have very low tolerances to medication. I know that I had the surgery and a hernia repair. My husband was with me every step of the way. I woke up in the room. They were on me to walk pretty quick but I am not sure if it was the first day. For me there was a lot of pain, they gave me delotta. It gave me dry heaves. Which really hurt. Took two tries before I realized it was the meds making me sick. the first twenty four hours they gave me small med cups of broth. Then they let me have fluids. The second day in the hospital, I got the news that my brother had died. He had suffered from obesity and heart disease for years. It wasn't a shock but it was devastating. He was also a lot of my reasoning for having the surgery. He had his first heart attack at my age. (Rest in Peace Jerry Fox) So I had a hard time and when the doc on call came in he asked me if I was able to go home, I told him I did not think I was. So I stayed another day. The next day they had me walk alot and gave me different pain meds and I was able to go home.

Wow Joyce. Sorry for your loss. I'm sure your brother is shining down on you with love and admiration for taking this giant step to improve your life. Best of luck!

I was banded on Wednesday. Wow, what an experience. The day started off pretty bad for me. My veins like to "hide" so it took 3 people several tries and finally a ultrasound to get my IV in. Coming out of anesthesia I was in terrible pain, coughing and then threw up several times. It took them several minutes to get me to calm down. Once in my room, things got a little better. The pain meds made me pretty tired, but they had me up and walking about 6 hours after surgery. Walking around made me feel a little better. I did spend one night at the hospital, got very little sleep and was uncomfortable most of the time. I'm home now. I'm trying to not take much pain medicine. I am still sore and my bellly button where my single incision is. I also have been coughing up mucus regularly. I keep getting a sharp pain in my upper chest, almost like I need to burp. Oh and my stomach hasn't stopped growling at me, which hurts as well. So far it has been a rough couple of days. I just keep telling myself that it will be worth it in the long run.

Surgery went pretty good for me with no problems...I'm pretty tired and just got finished posting my story on my blog. Please follow this link to read it My link

http://bandipes.blogspot.com