Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Surgery Day Stories

thanks for sharing your story, I am scheduled for the band 6/28 and has gone from complete joy to a little anxious about the surgery. I am so glad it went great for you and I am hoping mine goes just as well.

Tammy

Hi,

I am 2 days post -op. All went well with my surgery. I am home, resting and keeping hydrated.

I arrived at the hospital at 8 am and was immediatly taken to my surgery suite, where I was prepped for surgery. IV was put in and I was given my first heprin shot. Dr and Anesthesioligist checked on me prior to going to OR. Nurse and Anesthesiologist came and got me at 10:30am for surgery, they gave me a shot to relax me then walked by me all the way chatting about what to expect.

In OR I moved onto the table from the gurney and laid down. Woke up in recovery and was moved to my room at 12:30pm.

I stayed overnight in the Hospital, pain meds were given regularly and staff was great.

Yesturday at 9am I had an upper GI to make sure everything was flowing properlly. Arrived home at 12pm!

My experience was great and I am happy to be home and recovering!

I was banded the 17th too - was that your date? How is your port pain? Any hunger? I am a bit hungry but just having my juice and ice pops 4 now...Hope to hear from you!

Oamrh4K.jpgOamrm4.png

Hi,

I am 2 days post -op. All went well with my surgery. I am home, resting and keeping hydrated.

I arrived at the hospital at 8 am and was immediatly taken to my surgery suite, where I was prepped for surgery. IV was put in and I was given my first heprin shot. Dr and Anesthesioligist checked on me prior to going to OR. Nurse and Anesthesiologist came and got me at 10:30am for surgery, they gave me a shot to relax me then walked by me all the way chatting about what to expect.

In OR I moved onto the table from the gurney and laid down. Woke up in recovery and was moved to my room at 12:30pm.

I stayed overnight in the Hospital, pain meds were given regularly and staff was great.

Yesturday at 9am I had an upper GI to make sure everything was flowing properlly. Arrived home at 12pm!

My experience was great and I am happy to be home and recovering!

TODAY IS JUNE 22,2011.MY BAND DATE.I'M SO HAPPY TO HAVE JOINED THE TEAM..ARRIVED AT THE HOSPITAL AT 7AM. THINGS WENT SMOOTH.LEFT THE HOSPITAL AT 2:30PM..NOW IT'S 10:23PM I HAVE A LOT OF GAS PAIN,OTHER THAN THAT I'M DOING OK.:rolleyes:B):P

TODAY IS JUNE 22,2011.MY BAND DATE.I'M SO HAPPY TO HAVE JOINED THE TEAM..ARRIVED AT THE HOSPITAL AT 7AM. THINGS WENT SMOOTH.LEFT THE HOSPITAL AT 2:30PM..NOW IT'S 10:23PM I HAVE A LOT OF GAS PAIN,OTHER THAN THAT I'M DOING OK.:rolleyes:B):P

Congratulations!!!

I got banded yesterday. Pretty much what I expected: forms, more forms and waiting.

Now I know what my allergy is: being asked if I have any allergies :)

Pre-op procedures were pretty normal and I felt fine and ready. Once they got me in the OR, strapped me down I started to have some anxiety. I remember my last though being: "Oh crap! Maybe I'm not ready for this." Next thing I remember I was in the recovery room feeling groggy and sleepy. I really hate anesthesia - that cotton mouth, woozy out of this world feeling is worse than the pain.

Actually the pain in my abdomen isn't big. Feels like I was kicked in the gut a few times, but first rule of fight club ....

After getting home, all I wanted to do was sleep. I thought I'd be in more pain - but it wasn't bad. Took my liquid Vicodin and dozed off. In the evening I had some clear broth - but wasn't feeling up to it. The night passed with me waking up every hour wanting to pee, but only a few drops would come out. I guess that's the anesthesia coming out. By morning I could pee a bucketful.

Second day - still sore but otherwise OK. Taking this time off to watch some old movies. I'm trying to walk around the house and there's certainly press. I've read on these forums that post surgery one can feel really bloated and gassy - true. Luckily I was able to fart right away - so that eased up the pain a bit.

Munching on some Jello as I write - not a fan of artificially flavored things but I'll cope. unjury chicken Soup Protein - surprisingly good and tastes like chicken broth. Had me some of that for lunch.

Now I'm really just hoping that the abdomen pain goes away soon so that I can feel normal and do things around the house and play with my kid.

One of my incisions is a bit bloody - but I'm going for a post-op check tomorrow - hopefully they can re-dress.

Now that the wait and the actual surgery is over - I'm anxious to get back to my normal life. I need a really good story to tell my co-workers of why I'm eating like an anorexic...and no - the truth isn't an option.

Back to watching Matrix series :)

Later,

Ahab

Ahab,

Glad to hear you had a good experience. My surgery is Monday....I am soooo ready. My sister, who's an RN, flies in tomorrow so she'll take care of my dressings as my hubby is a little squimish! As for what to tell your co-workers...I would just say you had your doctor put you on a very low calorie, low carb, high Protein diet so you could see REAL RESULTS QUICKLY. No lies involved- just a little detail left out! ha

My day:

I was at the hospital by 8:30am. Blood was drawn, urine collected, and I was taken to a room. The bed was comfy :) I was given a gown to put on which was HUGE (compared to "normal" hospital gowns). Not gonna lie - I totally loved that. My rear was not left hanging in the wind! laugh.gif

Let's see, what next? Ah yes. The nurse verified information with me, connected me to an IV, and put those air compressor things on my legs (they felt yummy!). I was also given a shot of heparin (it burns!) to prevent blood clots. My anesthesiologist was the first doctor to visit me. Very nice guy! He told me the plan and made sure to answer any questions. Then my doctor dropped by. He also answered my questions and lent a LOT of reassurance. Oh yeah... my dad was with me the entire day. I have a very supportive and loving dad :)

I was allowed to go to the bathroom (yay). Then, I was given a scrub cap (hope I was rockin' that style) and wheeled out to the OR. Next thing I know, a mask was put on my face and the anesthesiologist told me to take deep breaths. At this point it was just oxygen, he said. Then he connected another tube to it and said, "Okay, just breathe in and goodnight!"

"Goodnight?" I thought to myself. Then I was OUT.

So here's the embarrassing part for me. Next thing I know, I woke up CRYING my eyes/heart out. Did that happen to anyone? I was SOBBING

I'm pretty sure I freaked out the nurses. I heard one say, "Do you think she's in pain? I just gave her a dose of [some powerful pain med]." Then someone else, a guy, said, "No... I think it's just emotional crying. Listen to the intonation of her cries."

dry.gif

Well, he was right anyway. I woke up thinking "ARE YOU SERIOUS? DID I JUST DO THIS?"

Anyway. Fast forward a bit... I'm in the recovery room and sleeping like crazy. Everyone was kind to me. I kept hearing them ask me to open my eyes and say something. That I needed to get up and walk around. In my mind I was like, "Go awayyyyy, I want to sleep!" I never answered them. Apparently the pain meds REALLY knocked me out.

Two hours later, they finally MADE me get up and walk. I'm glad they did because it started to ease the painful gas trapped inside. I did a bit more of that, was given some medicine-cup fulls of liquids and, a few hours later, allowed to be discharged. Slept the whole way home (40 miles) thankfully!

And that was my day.... Any other people wake up crying their hearts out?

Yeah. I NEVER want to have surgery again tongue.gif

And that was my day.... Any other people wake up crying their hearts out?

Yeah. I NEVER want to have surgery again tongue.gif

I didn't cry, but wanted to! The wouldn't let me sleep :angry:

Then I remember coming too and moaning because I was in so much pain. The nurses came over and within a few minutes, pushed some meds in my IV which decided to stop working and made me drink some horrible pain med. :blink:

I too, wish to NEVER have surgery again. The gas pain was so intense for the first couple of days and the hernia was a pain in the butt. I still have to be careful and am refusing to lift anything.

I asked the nurse for my husband and she told me that SHE wasn't ready for me to have visitors. Well guess what, I was ready and wanted my hubby! After another nurse came over, put my clothes on since I was sweating to death and we shared in my first bathroom trip together, once back in my curtained room, I believe she is the one who got my hubby for me :)

I live over an hour from home to the hospital and I didn't sleep, I felt every bump, lane change, pothole and the works. I'm beginning to think that the arm I didn't have my IV in originally was taped and VERY nicely bruised (even still) is because the IV stopped working and they had to start another and push more anesthesia since they found the hernia and wasn't anticipating it. OR maybe it was something else and I wasn't getting everything I should? I dunno, just glad I'm finally banded! :D

My band date was June 23. I expected to be in the hospital overnight, but was sent home by 2pm. My surgery was at 7:30am. I'm doing well except for a new feeling that seems to be sitting in my chest. I'm a little unsure what I should be feeling.

Almost a week later, here is my surgery day story!!! Sorry for the long post!

Each day gets better as far as pain and what I can do. I've been walking daily, got a pedometer and trying to make sure I increase each day. I don't walk to increase my heart rate or do real exercise, just to get moving. ;). Not ready for real exercise!!

Surgery day, June 20, 2011....

Had to be there at 7:00, was first in line. By 8:00 I was in the gown, had the iv, and met the anesthesiologist. At 8:10 Dr. Reilly came in and then it was about time to go. At 8:30 they were wheeling me into the OR and that's all I remember!! I was wheeled into the OR, looked up for a second, and didn't get the chance to say or do anything else!! They blindsided me!!!

Woke up at 10:30 in recovery to the leg things squeezing my legs. Throat was sore due to being intubated but pain wasn't too bad. After a little bit they helped me dress and go to the restroom. Was nauseous but the nurse held a peppermint-smelling stick under my nose and that took care of it. I had to sit in a recliner in recovery for a bit, took some liquid pain medicine (NASTY!!) and then went home. We were home before 12:30. Then I rested on the recliner and walked every hour, first along the downstairs of my house, working my way up to puttering outside. Walking really helped.

sleeping was pretty much non-existent, but I wonder if that was due to post op nerves. I was like that after my last c-section, didn't sleep for about 24 hours after, too wired, too much adrenaline. Now I sleep a little at a time and rest when I can. Only had the main gas pain that first day, and after that just abdomen pain...it took a few nights of sleeping on the recliner couch or the rocker with the ottoman before I could actually sleep in my own bed, but getting up and down was the worst...once I was walking for a few minutes I could handle it.

Since I could not stand the liquid pain meds (did I mention it was NASTY, even with cherry flavoring added???) I took childrens' dissolvable tylenol and then liquid childrens tylenol once and those were blah too, so after trying both of those, I stopped taking pain medicine and was ok without it....each day gets better and the pain goes away....now just mild itchiness at my steri-strips.

Thursday I was able to drive so I treated myself to a pedicure. Friday was somewhat normal and yesterday my 8-year-old had 2 flag football games that I went to...my dad nicknamed me Ginger, since he said I was walking gingerly...I tend to walk these last few days with my shoulders hunched up so I am trying NOT to keep doing that.

Started full liquids today after almost a week of Clear Liquids, and it is so much better to have a little more variety!! I am so sick of drinking fruity-type drinks!! But I bet it will be just a few more days and I will be sick of drinking my Protein shakes again!! Bring on the mushies!! LOL

The hardest part is making sure I drink enough liquids right now. My NUT said to drink 1oz. Fluid every 15 minutes, and that makes my Soup get cold!! So i eat a few spoonfuls, then wait a few minutes and eat a few more...Am I supposed to be taking my time already when I eat and following the no drinking during a meal now, even though I'm not on solids??

I go back for post-op on July 18 and fill status will be decided then.

My stats so far...

Consultation weight, 223.4

Pre-op meeting weight 217

Surgery day weight, 209 (was worried I hadnt lost any!!)

Today's weight, 202.8!!!!!!

Wearing the pedometer to log my walking and keeping a food diary is helping...at first I wasn't going to do the diary, seemed like a huge pain, but my NUT needs that once I see her on the 18th, so I've been faithful at that. I understand that once I start "real food" again that it will help me get not only the correct nutrients, but also allow me to monitor my intake to control weight.

thanks for reading!!!

Thank you for sharing your story. It sounds like you're following doctor's orders and doing great! Congratulations! My surgery is at 7:30 in the morning.....I am really excited and not nervous at all.

Nice Job kittyforet ! Onederland is within your reach.

Congrats on that one... :woot:

Hello Everyone!

Well I had my surgery this morning and all is well. I arrived at 5:30am and was taken to a room to "get ready". The nurses did all the usual questioning, I put on a gown, they put the compression stockings on my legs, and gave me the blood thinner shot in my thigh. I was taken ito the surgical holding room at 6:30 - no family allowed in there. =(.

The surgical nurse, anesthesiologist, and surgeon all visited with me. I was taken back to the surgical suite at 7:30 - FINALLY!!!

They did several things to get me ready before telling me goodnight. I woke up in the recovery room at 8:40 I felt fine except for a horizontal line of pain under my breasts that reached side to side. I suppose that's the gas doing it's work! lol

I was then taken to my room where I was reunited with my sister and hubby. =). I feel fine really. I begged the nurses to let me walk awhile before they finally agreed. My sister is an RN so they let her walk with me. I've been drinking Water and eating Jello. Everything seems to be going down well. I guess the plumbing is in tact! lol

I am anxious to go home and settle in. I've been out of bed now since 11:30. it seems like it's easier to breathe sitting up.

Well thanks to all for your undying support. I'll write more once I get home. Best wishes to everyone else who is having surgery this week. I hope you'll have as good of an experience as I have thus

far.

Lisa<B

weight.png

Hello Everyone!

Well I had my surgery this morning and all is well. I arrived at 5:30am and was taken to a room to "get ready". The nurses did all the usual questioning, I put on a gown, they put the compression stockings on my legs, and gave me the blood thinner shot in my thigh. I was taken ito the surgical holding room at 6:30 - no family allowed in there. =(.

The surgical nurse, anesthesiologist, and surgeon all visited with me. I was taken back to the surgical suite at 7:30 - FINALLY!!!

They did several things to get me ready before telling me goodnight. I woke up in the recovery room at 8:40 I felt fine except for a horizontal line of pain under my breasts that reached side to side. I suppose that's the gas doing it's work! lol

I was then taken to my room where I was reunited with my sister and hubby. =). I feel fine really. I begged the nurses to let me walk awhile before they finally agreed. My sister is an RN so they let her walk with me. I've been drinking Water and eating Jello. Everything seems to be going down well. I guess the plumbing is in tact! lol

I am anxious to go home and settle in. I've been out of bed now since 11:30. it seems like it's easier to breathe sitting up.

Well thanks to all for your undying support. I'll write more once I get home. Best wishes to everyone else who is having surgery this week. I hope you'll have as good of an experience as I have thus

far.

Lisa<B

weight.png

Lisa, I'm glad your surgery went well. I like reading as much about these experiences as possible while I'm still not scheduled yet. :0)