Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Surgery Day Stories

I was banded on Feb. 8th, 2010 - at Journeylite, in Cincinnati OH, by Dr. Trace Curry.

Surgery was very easy! It was done at the center (if you're considered high risk, you have to have it done at the hospital) - I went into surgery at 8:30AM and was HOME by 10:30AM.

Surgery only took 17 minutes - I woke up at 9:20AM with some throat pain and minimal abdomen pain. I was kind of groggy but they had me up and sitting after about 20 minutes. At home, I made sure to get up every hour and a half, to relieve some of the gas issues! After the first day home, it was easy sailing. I felt great, was able to drive 48 hours after, kept all Water and puree food down fine (no sliming! LOL) - minus, some small pain where my port incision is - everything was fine.

2 weeks out - I feel completely normal again! I'm able to start light exercising and I was moved to soft foods on Friday - no issues with those either. My first fill is March 5th and can't wait!

Between the pre-op diet and post surgery, I've lost 34 pounds in 5 weeks. Very happy here!

So glad to hear it's all over for you. Can you tell me how long you had to do your liquids before your surgery and any suggestions on how to get thru that time before and just after would be greatly appreciated. I am scheduled for 3/24/10 and starting to panic. Hope you are doing great, I'm sure you are. Thanks for sharing your experience with all of us. Eileen

So glad to hear it's all over for you. Can you tell me how long you had to do your liquids before your surgery and any suggestions on how to get thru that time before and just after would be greatly appreciated. I am scheduled for 3/24/10 and starting to panic. Hope you are doing great, I'm sure you are. Thanks for sharing your experience with all of us. Eileen

I had to do a 3 week pre-op diet, which consisted of medi-fast products (soups, oatmeal, 1 Protein Bar a day) - basically, 500-600 calories a day. I only had to do all liquids for the night before surgery and for the day of surgery.

How long do you have to be on liquids?

Honestly, my only suggestion is to look at the big picture - a year from now, you won't even remember the pre-op diet. You'll be so happy with the new you that it will just be a blip on the radar.

Don't be nervous (easier said that done!) - surgery will be here before you know it and the weight loss before surgery ensures that you have a smooth surgery and post-surgery experience.

Can't wait to hear your surgery experience!!!

Thanks so much for your encouragement. I just want it over with. For some unknown reason I have been terrified from the start about the 2 weeks before and 2 week after. I'm fine with the surgery, I just have this mental block about liquids for 4 weeks. I guess it's just one day at a time. Did you have any favorites that you would recommend during this period? Thanks again for your help. Eileen

Thanks so much for your encouragement. I just want it over with. For some unknown reason I have been terrified from the start about the 2 weeks before and 2 week after. I'm fine with the surgery, I just have this mental block about liquids for 4 weeks. I guess it's just one day at a time. Did you have any favorites that you would recommend during this period? Thanks again for your help. Eileen

2 weeks after - don't even worry about. Your stomach will still be a little sore and you shouldn't have much of an appetite. The 2 weeks before is the suckish part! Are you on a specific diet or just liquids?

I was allowed unlimited broth, SF Jello (which I HATE and didn't eat), SF popcicles.

It does seem daunting when you look at the couple weeks before surgery! But, the morning of surgery, it's going to be totally worth it!

Surgery Date: May 19th

I was banded in Monterrey, Mexico. I arrived at the wonderful facility bright and early with my boyfriend and one other girl my age who was also getting banded that day. It was nice to be there with someone who could understand what I was going through. My boyfriend and I waited patiently for my name to be called to begin the pre-op process. I was called back, changed into that awful limited coverage gown and I was told to lie down in a hospital bed to get an EEG done and to receive my pre-op meds.

The nurse was absolutely amazing, incredibly kind and understanding. I was honestly worried about this part of the experience because of the language barrier, but she spoke enough english to make me feel comfortable. She explained every procedure before she did it and basically took one more concern off my plate. The surgeon and anesthesiologist came over to check on me, which was nice as well. The time came for me to roll to the OR. I remember very little about being back there. They had me count backwards from 10 and before I knew it they were calling my name as I woke up out of my drug induced sleep. They rolled me into the recovery area. This part was NO fun. Everyone was still very kind, but I was experiencing nausea like I had never had before. On top of my nausea I was worried because I was nauseous. The one thing everyone said before surgery was "Make sure you don't throw up..." and here I am ready to hurl. Turns out I did vomit a little into an emesis bin (that's what they're for after all) and I didn' hurt anything. I remember being annoyed with the male nurse who brought me the bin because as he hands it to me he says "try not to throw up, you shouldn't throw up" and I'm thinking sure I'll do my best - thanks for the encouragement. But it was no big deal, I took some deep breaths and the feeling went away eventually.

Once I'd been in recovery long enough they took me to my wonderful room where my boyfriend was waiting:smile2:. All I wanted to do was sleep and sleep and did I mention sleep...? But after a while they woke me up and pretty much forced me out of bed to walk. Definitely didn't want to, definitely was necessary. Walking was no fun - I was regretting that I hadn't packed my iPod or something so I could at least entertain myself while pacing the halls, but oh well. I guess that would be a suggestion I have for future music lover bandsters - take music with you for your post-op experience!!! Anywho, other than walking & sleeping not much else happened on that first day.

Overall it was a great experience. I tell people all the time that having my surgery in Monterrey was the best decision I ever made. The entire hospital experience was phenomenal and everyone was so helpful & encouraging.

Good luck!

I was banded on February 4, 2010, by Dr. Todd Belott at West Jefferson Medical Center.

I arrived at the hospital at 6:30am with my Mom & fiance, Stephen. I had to wait for them to put me into the computer. After doing so (which took almost 30 minutes), we went upstairs to Same Day Surgery. I was put in a room, & the nurse came to get my vitals. I was super excited for this day to FINALLY be here. Then, she tells me I'm going to get a shot in my stomach for clotting, and my nerves started to really work then. I'm not too keen on needles & tend to be a big baby about them. Shortly after, another nurse came in to make sure what I was allergic to, the meds I'm on, & she gave me my wrist bands. Then, the dreadful shot in my stomach. :laugh: I was NOT happy about it, to say the least. Alas, I made it through, though.

After waiting what seemed like forever, a man came in to wheel me back to the pre-op room. But not before he raised cane about my fiance's shirt he was wearing (It was a Saints shirt, go figure! :tongue_smilie:). The entire time he was taking me to pre-op, he kept talking about how the Saints were going to lose the Superbowl. It kept my mind off of the surgery itself, that's for sure, but it got me a little worked up, too. He then said he was putting me in slot number 9 because that was all the points the Saints were going to score in the game.

I waited for a long time, & I couldn't see a thing. They made me give my glasses to my fiance before I was taken back, so I was as blind as a bat now. I had a nurse come over & she got me to sign some concent form saying they were going to tape the surgery. I didn't care. All I wanted was for them to hurry up & get it over with. She started my IV, which was all sorts of painful. Then, they gave me a breathing treatment because of my asthma. After my breathing treatment, Dr. Belott came in to talk to me about the surgery. I started getting nervous, but I knew I was ready for this.

Someone finally came to bring me back to the OR. I met some really nice ladies who gave me wonderful meds that knocked me out! :cool2:

The next thing I remember is waking up, but not opening my eyes, in the recovery room. I remember moaning in pain & them telling me they were going to bring me pain meds. I must have kept falling asleep because I remember very little. One thing I DO remember was some crazy man in the bed next to mine. I heard them telling him that he couldn't take his IV out. I think it was the morphine pump he was on that was making him loopy. They kept yelling at him. It was actually kind of amusing.

When one of the nurses came over, I asked her if I could see my mom. She then proceeded to yell at me & tell me that my mom wasn't allowed back here. I almost cried because she was being so mean.

Finally, they told me I was going back to my room. Because of my insurance, I had to stay overnight. When I got to my room, my mom & fiance told me that I'd been in recovery from about 11am-8pm. I couldn't believe that! All because they didn't have any "open rooms" or anyone to transport. BOLOGNA! Either way, I finally made it there.

The only downfall.. I had to use the bathroom. All those fluids made my bladder hate me at that point. I couldn't, in any way, use the bed pan. I had to get up. Painful, yes, but I had help.

I'm glad I had to stay overnight, though, because I like that there's multipul people there to help you in & out of bed. Plus, the hospital beds are awesome! It really helped my back not die after laying on it for so long.

I was finally discharged at around 2pm the next day.

All in all, my surgery wasn't that bad. I knew what to expect because I'd had my gallbladder removed. It's a very similar surgery, so I was mentally prepared for it.

Edited by h.landry85
misspelling

Hi everyone! I became a resident of Bandville yesterday, 2-23-2010!

I was scheduled for 730am, so we got to the hospital for 6am. I was in the preop area for a bit, nurses & doctors kept coming in & asking the same questions (name DOB what I was there for etc etc) I had been sick with a cold & cough for 2 weeks so the anesthesiologist quizzed me for awhile about that but he gave me the green light!

The bariatric PA Becky was awesome, so down to earth & straighforward. I wish she was in my surgeons office so she could do my fills! They brought me into the OR everyone was nice, chatting with me etc. They gave me some happy juice then some happy gas and it was lights out! Next thing I know the recovery room nurses were telling me it was time to wake up! I was very hoarse all day yesterday from the breathing tube.

By 1130 they still didn't bring me to my room, my bf asked why and they said because of my (mild) sleep apnea I had to stay in recovery for FOUR hours. Which nobody had told me about, I was kinda upset about that but it wasn't that big of a deal. I finally got to my room about 1pm, to find out I was sharing a room with an 85 year old heart patient who had no idea where she was. I was lead to believe that there was a seperate bariatric ward, another thing to be upset about. The nurses were nice, but my roommate had an alarm on her bed that went off everytime she got up. So last night consisted of it going off every hour. I felt bad for the woman, but I was so frustrated about not being able to sleep. The nurses were going to move me but no beds were open.

My pain is very minimal, after the recovery room I declined any more pain meds until late last night and then it was because I was hoping they would knock me out! I have very little gas pain in my shoulder, last night it was mostly in my chest. Today I took liquid Tylenol a few times and that seems to help with the pain I'm feeling which feels mostly muscular near the port.

All in all I feel pretty good! Oh just some things that I didn't do that I wish I had done: definitely slide on shoes for the ride home! if you can I suggest sleeping in a recliner, today getting in & out of bed is a chore!

Sorry this is so long!! :wink:

Congradulations!!!!!! You are an inspiration to all of us March bandsters. My date is for March 24th. Thanks for the mention of the liquid Tylenol, I hadn't thought of it, I will pick some up when I go to the store, I'm trying to get everything

I need in the house so I won't have to go out or send my husband out. Hope you feel alittle better each day. Eileen

Had my band done today (2/25/2010)

I arrived at the Surgery Center by 7am for my 8am procedure. The Surgery Center was great, it was the best IV I have ever had. The feedback from the doctor was that I have a tremendous amount of fat on all my inside organs and doing the Lap-Band® procedure was a smart move, both for my weight and for my future health. The recovery room went smoothly, I was able to sip Water right away. I feel no discomfort, and am using my ice pack and pain liquid to stay ahead of any potential pain. The incisions look good, I expect some bruising and swelling, which is normal. I have been doing my deep breathing exercises and walking around at least 5 minutes every hour. All in all, I am thrilled with how smoothly and comfortably this surgery has gone. :smile2:

weight.png

Congradulation!!!!! You are an inspiration to all the March bandsters. I hope everything continues to go well. Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing after the surgery and what you can eat. Let the pounds just fall away and think THIN!!!!!!! Eileen:thumbup::eek::thumbup:

I was banded on the 23rd of Feb. I arrived at the hospital at 5:30 AM and was told to give a urine sample to confirm I was not pregnant..guess what.. I was so nervous I couldn't go! It took an hour and a half to finally go. Just in time for my surgery to have the green light. I dont remember much going in because they gave me my "margarita" as I was leaving the pre-op area. I woke up around 10 AM and asked the nurse was it in there..lol she laughed at me and I went back to sleep. I woke up again around 11 AM in my room. I wasn't in any pain but my throat hurt like hell. I started coughing up blood and I was told that was normal because of the breathing tube. Later that day I went downstairs to get an xray with the barium swallow.............YUCK! I stayed in the hospital for a 2 days and now im at home. I have to say listening to most of the negitive stories on here about the pains and what not I was expecting the worst. Its really not that bad I have had a few gas pains but nothing major. I have not been hungry so I basically have been forcing myself to drink the Protein Shakes. WELL.... thats about it! good luck to everyone!

I was banded this past Friday, 2/26 at the Center for Advanced Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgery in Bloomington, Indiana, by Dr. Bradley Ray.

I arrived just before 9 for a 10am surgery, and the nurse came out and promptly told my husband that she was getting his room ready. She was slightly flustered and embarassed when I told her it was MY room. :wink2: He's bigger than me, so I can understand the mistake.

I got back into my room, and lovely gown and socks by about 9:20 or so, and they did fun stuff like check my blood pressure (which was higher than normal, but they assured me that as I was having surgery that day, it was normal for it to be high.) The nurse came in and was wonderful-- she got my IV in my left hand without any pain or fuss-- I didn't even end up with a bruise! Kudos to her. She started the saline and an antibiotic drip. My husband and I stayed in the pre-op room and watched tv for a while, when there was some hub-bub about lab work and did I have this done or that done? I told them I had whatever they told me to get done and I was nervous something had been missed and they were gonna send me home. But nope, it was all ok, I guess.

Soon, the operating room nurse and the anaesthesiologist came back and chatted about what was going to happen, and they took me to the OR-- they also added a quick shot to my IV that made me calm and relaxed. (where can I get some of that for my 9-year-old son?)

In the OR they had me scooch over onto the operating table, the anaesthesiologist put a mask over my face and told me to breathe deep. Next thing I know I am coming to as they are pushing me into the recovery room. I was so sleepy and cob-webby, but I wanted to wake up, so I tried pretty hard. I got some sips of Water and they even gave me a couple of small bites of Jello and a Lortab (not even liquid, which surprised me.) I had no trouble swallowing it at all. They kept asking me about pain, but I didn't have much, fortunately. A short while later, I was wheeled back into my pre-op room where my husband was. I spoke to the surgeon-- who told me that I had a hiatal hernia which he repaired. I hadn't even been having reflux, so I was surprised by that!

I was released just before 1pm and went home. I took a nap and when I woke up I felt quite good. Had some pain in my shoulder, but not excruciating. My biggest complaint was my sore throat! My incisions didn't hurt really at all. Not even the port. I didn't take anymore Lortab until bedtime that night (because I don't like the drowsy) but I did nap several times that day. Next day (yesterday), my sore throat and shoulder were gone, but I had gas pressure in my abdomen that really bothered me. I tried to get up and walk around a bunch, and today that is a LOT better. I got a shower today, and am drinking what I can.

It's weird to know that I haven't eaten for two days, and I'm seriously not hungry. I don't even miss food yet. I know it will come, but still, it's a bit of a weird feeling!

All is well!!!:laugh:

Today was my surgery. I arrived at 630 and they put me in a room to change into a gown and ted hose for blood clots. My pre-op nurse was really sweet and proficient. She kept checking on me before the surgery. About 45 minutes later they took me into surgery. I then met with the surgical nurse who reviewed meds, allergies and what to expect. After that I med with the Anesthesiologist who was really nice and encouraging. They give me Phenergan to help with nausea. My post op nurse was my favorite. Right after surgery I told the nurse I was scare I wasn't going to be successful. She took my hand and said she believed in me and that she knew I would be successful. That really meant a lot to me. I was in recovery for 4 hours. I am now home and have some pain and nausea but it is do able. I look forward to getting healthy and losing weight!!!

I was banded yesterday, March 1st, 2010 by Dr. George Fielding at NYU. :thumbup:

I was told to be at the admitting department at noon and arrived promptly with my parents! Filled out some admitting paperwork, a nurse took my vitals... Boy was my blood pressure high! (Can you tell I was just a little nervous?) After that, I waited with my parents until I was called in to meet with my OR nurse Noreen, the anesthesiologist and of course Dr. Fielding. After I spoke with the team, I was completely at ease. I was ready!

I eventually took the walk down to the OR with Noreen who was absolutely wonderful! I don't really remember anything other than having the oxygen mask on my face and them putting the IV in my hand. Next thing you know, I'm on my way to recovery. I did have a little nausea, but more like a hazy dizziness and some pain which was taken care of with some morphine. The recovery nurse (I cannot remember her name, which is upsetting because she was incredible!) was so accommodating. Some of the OR team came to visit me... turns out that I had a very large para-esophageal hernia which they also repaired during surgery. The residents were very excited to show me my incision... which was covered in gauze with a skull & bones design. :thumbup: I had some ice chips and after a few hours went to my room.

Again, the nursing staff was amazing. I cannot say enough about Keylen, my RN up on the floor! My pain was completely managed and she helped me get up and walk around to ease some of this gas pressure. I was given the choice to stay or go home since it was so late in the evening, and I decided to head home. My mom is an RN as well, and I just feel like I'd be more comfortable there.

Today, I am feeling sore. I did have some Lortab, but felt a little nauseous, so Dr. Fielding prescribed some Toridol which I'm hoping will kick in soon.

I was so impressed with the staff all around... and I feel like because they were so great, my recovery has been easy. I do have some pressure but nothing unbearable. Dr. Fielding spoke with my parents after surgery and said that after performing my surgery, he 100% believes that this banding surgery will be the key to my failed weight loss over the years. (I do too!)

I am so relieved that my journey has begun.

To anyone reading this and worried about surgery as I was... Please feel free to PM me! I know that I'm new to this world of banding, but any advice I can give, I will!