Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Surgery Day Stories

I was banded on Monday 12/21. I arrived at the hospital at 145 pm, changed into a gown, took my vital signs, got on the scale at 232 pounds. Got in the bed the nurse asked me a ton of questions, my family came back, anther nurse started my IV and gave me some medicine to dry up my secretions...like I had that many I had been NPO since midnight the night before. I was tired, cranky, and hungry!! Then the anestethiologist came in and told me her story, then the surgeon came in and gave me his side. The surgical nurse came in, gave me a shot of heparin in the belly, and some versed in the IV, started rolling the cart out of pre-op...I was on my way! I don't even remember rolling into the operating room. I woke up in post op and felt pretty good, a little sore, and very dry. The wonderful nurse there kept giving me pain meds and a swab to rinse my mouth. I moved into my room upstairs at about 8pm. I was on 24 hours IV antibiotics. At 5am, my IV infiltrated, so they had to start a new one. I went for a swallow study around 9am Tuesday morning, where I had to drink about 4 oz of gastrografen, so I would light up my belly and they could see the band. All looked good so I was able to eat my first meal at 11am. They began me on a rotational eating schedule for the liquid week. 2-4oz Fluid in 20-30 min, rest for 30 min, Water for 30 min, then rest for 30 min, then eat again. So I'm essentially eating every 2 hours.

I got up and walked around the halls of the hospital every couple hours because I know the more I walk the more the air moves out of my system and the sooner I heal. I am home recovering now. The first night at home was awful. I was in more pain, with only the god awful crushed darvocet to take, my family was eating real food and I had a Jello cup, I hurt, and I had been plagued with diarrhea when I got home. They said that might occur due to the bowel prep done prior to surgery there might still be effects of that.

Today I'm 2 days post-op, I'm sore mainly at the port sight. I"m gassier today than I have been at all, which is good get it out of my system. Today for my first meal I had 3 oz of carnation instant Breakfast made with skim milk and a banana, and an extra scoop of Protein powder, and 1 oz of apple juice. I've tried the Isopure and I'm not super impressed with them, I've discovered if I dilute it with Water I can take it down. The pineapple/orange/banana/ and blue raspberry isn't too bad. The arctic berry is horribe (of course I bought a six pack of 12 oz bottles at CVS but each bottle had 15g protein).

It's tough to stay motivated especially with all the Christmas goodies around, but honestly thats what got me here in the first place!! Whats a couple weeks of work, compared to happiness the rest of my life!!!!!! On my way into my skinny jeans :biggrin::tongue:

I was banded Monday, Dec. 21st.

Arrived at hospital at 5am.

Had blood drawn.

Then was taken to pre-op where they asked me questions & I changed into a gown.

The nurse gave me a shot of Heparin in the stomach.

Was put on IV's w/stuff for antacid meds.

I was wheeled into the OR area and the nurse put the cap on my head. My husband liked it so much they gave him the doctor cap. LOL

The anestheiologist came in and talked to me whereas I told him I hope I dont feel the stuff going through my veins like I did when I had my gallbladder out. He promised I wouldnt feel anything.

I told him to have the doc look where my gallbladder was because I was still feeling intense pain.

He stated the doc always looks around to see if everything is okay anyways.

They wheeled me into the operation room and I got on the OR table.

Last thing I remember is the doc saying to put my arms to the side.

Woke up in recovery w/no pain.

They wheeled me into my private room.

I dont remember much.

My doc came to see me around 6pm & told me I had a lot of scar tissue where my gall bladder was and that the scar tissue was rubbing up against my pancreas. I told him I'd had ultrasounds to see why I had pain and he stated scar tissue doesnt show up on sounds. He said there was a lot.

Needless to say, I dont have that pain any longer.

But I do have this huge bulge on my right side.

It's the only thing that hurts me when only I move.

Spent the night in the hospital and went home around 10am.

I guess the morphine they were giving me in the hospital helped a heck of a lot with the pain more than I thought!

As I said, I only have pain when I move and the only pain is the bulge.

I need husband to help me get out of bed.

The bulge really hurts.

I checked into the hospital at 6:00am. I was taken into the room around 6:30, put on my gown, got my IV started, and the coordinator of the bariatric surgery center came and sat with me. The anesthesiologist and surgeon came in and explained what was going to happen when I got into the OR. By 7:28 I was in the OR, they blew up this hover-pad and scooted me onto the table. I got introduced to the crew that would be doing the surgery and was out before I could remember anything else. I remember a little bit of being in the recovery room before they transferred me to my overnight room.

About an hour after surgery I got up to go to the bathroom. I decided I should get some pain medicine before I moved. They tried the liquid Lortab, but I couldn't drink it for some reason so they gave me morphine. Getting up after morphine was not such a good idea! I got a little queezy so they gave me a phenegran shot. That knocked me out for a bit. I was awake soon after and got up to walk again. I roamed the halls with my ounce of ice chips for about a half hour. I found the worse part was the gas pain and the dry mouth. As long as I went on a walk, I had to have ice chips. I would do a lap, then suck on an ice piece. They kept me up every couple hours to walk.

I ended up having 4 heparin shots in my tummy. They had a slight sting, but it seemed like the faster they put it in, the less it stung. I was able to take the Lortab after the first attempt. I also got a half popsicle! That helped the dry mouth.

I had to do a barium swallow the next morning to check placement of the band and make sure stuff was passing through. Once that was good I got the ok to go home! I had no pain in my incisions, port, or muscles. The only discomfort was because of the gas they put in to open up your abdomen. The more I walked, the quicker it went away. Maybe I am special, but it went great! I am 6 days post-op and still have no pain, no nausea, and no hunger!

I checked into the hospital at 6:00am. I was taken into the room around 6:30, put on my gown, got my IV started, and the coordinator of the bariatric surgery center came and sat with me. The anesthesiologist and surgeon came in and explained what was going to happen when I got into the OR. By 7:28 I was in the OR, they blew up this hover-pad and scooted me onto the table. I got introduced to the crew that would be doing the surgery and was out before I could remember anything else. I remember a little bit of being in the recovery room before they transferred me to my overnight room.

About an hour after surgery I got up to go to the bathroom. I decided I should get some pain medicine before I moved. They tried the liquid Lortab, but I couldn't drink it for some reason so they gave me morphine. Getting up after morphine was not such a good idea! I got a little queezy so they gave me a phenegran shot. That knocked me out for a bit. I was awake soon after and got up to walk again. I roamed the halls with my ounce of ice chips for about a half hour. I found the worse part was the gas pain and the dry mouth. As long as I went on a walk, I had to have ice chips. I would do a lap, then suck on an ice piece. They kept me up every couple hours to walk.

I ended up having 4 heparin shots in my tummy. They had a slight sting, but it seemed like the faster they put it in, the less it stung. I was able to take the Lortab after the first attempt. I also got a half popsicle! That helped the dry mouth.

I had to do a barium swallow the next morning to check placement of the band and make sure stuff was passing through. Once that was good I got the ok to go home! I had no pain in my incisions, port, or muscles. The only discomfort was because of the gas they put in to open up your abdomen. The more I walked, the quicker it went away. Maybe I am special, but it went great! I am 6 days post-op and still have no pain, no nausea, and no hunger!

I envy you!

Good for you and am happy it went smoothly for you!

I was banded 12/15/2009 and this is my story.

I had my pre-op appointment on December 7th and was told to lose at least 5lbs by surgery. Another blow was the fact I felt like I was getting a sinus infection. As soon as the pre-op appt was over I went down to family medicine, saw my PCP and got a Z-pack nothing was going to stop me from having this surgery.

December 14th, picked up my parents from the airport, took the dog to the pet sitter, down 5 lbs. Received a call from the surgical nurse that I had been moved up the following morning from 12:30 to 10:30, oh boy less time to be nervous and thirsty.:)

Arrived at 8:30, signed in and got my beautiful wrist bracelets. About 9 nurse Ruth called me back and got me settled in the beautiful ‘here’s my butt’ gown and those sexy skid slippers. I was happy they were grey, last time I had surgery they were nasty tan! So she went through all of the medical stuff and went back to get my parents. So there we were me, my parents and 5 other patients and their families all waiting in preop divided by the little curtains.

The nurses kept bringing me these warmed blankets it was just wonderful. Dr. Curtis the anestiologist actually called me the night before surgery to see if I had any questions and to go over her role, it was so nice so when she came up to me in preop it was like seeing an old friend. So, my old friend proceeded to attempt to find a vein. I must disclose here I have my mother’s veins and they tend to run and hide. Well, on the second try we had a good one, albeit right in the crook of my left wrist, I could live with it.

Dr. Anwar’s surgical nurse AnnTina came over to me introduced herself and provided me this lovely cap for my hair and reviewed her role.

And then he walked in the tall, slim, handsome man, I know as my surgeon Dr. Haroon Anwar. The nurses had been talking to me about how handsome he is, heck I already knew that! But all his handsomeness aside, he has this great gentle manner and he listens, you can tell he is listening to you and not rushing you. Plus he talked with my folks and completely put them at ease and said he’d step out and let them know how I am doing. While he was talking with them I got Heprin in my right arm.

So, everyone left, I shooed the folks away, my mom was tearing up and I couldn’t handle it – oh wait that was me tearing up anyway, they left.

Two – three minutes later we got the ‘GO’. It was a big green sticker that says ‘GO” and they put it on my file.

Okay, this is it the clock read 10:42 whew I was finally getting nervous, we round the corner and the hallway has about 30 people in scrubs as I was wheeled down the hall I did my ‘queen’s wave’ and they all applauded me and someone said “Everyone is a VIP at Stanford Medcal Center”, indeed they are I guess. (I was told later it was a meeting)

Next, Dr. Anwar’s assistant (can’t remember his name) came and grabbed the gurney and helped Dr. Curtis wheel me in to operating room 4. I remember seeing a board numbered 1 – 20 and I asked what room am I going to be in and they said Dr. Anwar has his own room #4. I like that he has own room. I get wheeled in and see the operating room and they are playing some darn good music let me tell you. I asked them whose selection was it and they said Dr. Anwar’s when I responded well he is the most important person the group chimed in "No, that’s you". Just cool. So I scooted over to the table. Dr. Curtis told me to breathe deeply.

I woke up in recovery very thirsty and I had to pee like a Russian race horse on flat bed rock. So she came over with the bed pan – ahh no thank you but I tried ,nope, sorry – hello even with the curtains closed I know there are still 20 people in the room no dice.

If you have the option to stay overnight please do, it is just 24 hours the kids, spouse and everyone else will survive without you there. Trust me, its nice having someone waiting on you hand and foot that can answer EVERY question you have.

In my room by 2pm, lots of liquids every 15 mins refill the little medicine cup. I tried to go pee and again no dice, the nurse finally said she was calling the doctor to see about a catheter. I got back on that toilet, had my mom turn on the sink and I sat there over an hour before I finally relaxed enough to go. The floor doc came in to check on me though just to be sure.

I got up that night at 9:30PM, 11:30PM, 2PM, 4AM and 6AM all by myself once I was disconnected from the fluids and walked the hallway for 20minutes each time. Thru the night I had 3 more Heprin shots, the leg massagers, 2 more shots in IV to reduce swelling, and liquid vicodin.

By 6:30 AM I had the okay to head home and by 9AM I was on the couch.

I can highly recommend Dr. Anwar with the Palo Alto Medical Foundation.

Feel free to ask me questions.

I was banded Monday, Dec 28. I was supposed to check in at 9:30 for an 11:30 surgery, but there was no traffic so we got there at 830. At 10:10 they called us up so we go to another room to wait. They cal me in, i go in, change into a gurney (sp?), and they ask me a billion questions. The surgeon comes in and talks to me. The anesthesiologist. Some nurses. They give me something to relax me then take me into the back. I don't remember the ride there. I remember being in the OR, I asked where they were putting my port, then all I remember is waking up in the recovery room. They have me there for a while and I sleep off and on. Finally I get to my room and my mom comes to see me. I'm super tired so she leaves and I sleep on and off for a while. I remember being SUPER thirsty, and I'm only allowed to sip Water that first day. I stayed the night, so the next day (today) they move me to stage 2 which is drinking more in an hour. Then I advance to stage 3 which is full liquids and I come home! The pain was minimal because I was on morphine the whole time I was there, and eventually I felt real pain, like I did a million sit ups. I have 4 incisions and then one for the port. Not too bad. I'm in some pain but they gave me a liquid pain med which works well. Also there is some gas pain.

I had surgery on Tuesday 12/29.

It was rather uneventful (which is always a good thing!). I got to the hospital at 545 and was taken back to get weighed (with shoes!) and all changed by 6pm.

After that it was probably a half an hour later that the nurse came in to ask all the questions, put in my IV and try to calm my nerves.

While in my room the anastetheologist, OR nurse and the bariatric nurse came in. I was happy to learn they were all jokers and had a good sense of hurmor. For me thats very important as when Im nervous/scared I joke constantly (so yeah, I was a HOOK surgery morning!). Around 8am I got the happy medicine, said bye to Hubs and was rolled into the OR. I remember scooting over to the table get setting my sexy compression socks on and then... nothing.

I woke up in recover about 10am. I had a hard time waking up after the anasthetic and couldnt stay awake. The pain wasnt too bad because I was so out of it. I was pukey though so they gave me some fentinol which knocked me out again.

About 1pm they moved me into the Short Stay Unit in hopes of the move waking me up but... that didnt happen. I couldnt stay awak to save my life.

at 230 I asked to get up and start moving around because I knew its what I needed to do. Made the trip to the bathroom and back to the bed where I promply turned green so they laid me back down where I passed out... again.

By 330 I asked to get up and walk again at which point I was told I needed to wake up and get ready to go or they would have to admit me for the night. I walked around a but and started drinking which SUCKED. I could feel what I was drinking hitting my stomach and had some had acid reflux going on. They gave me some malox but it didnt really help at all. I got the Water down despite the pain and they got me ready to head home.

Once I was home the acid reflux slowly gotbetter but I had a hard time sleeping in bed so moved to the couch where I have been ever since.

Now the 2nd full day out Im still achy but drinking had gotten much better. Im tired but thats to be expected due to the lack of sleep and protien.

Now Im just taking it slow and getting VERY excited to take a shower!!

I'm surprised so many people go home the same day. There is no way I would have been ready to go home. If I weren't on the morphine, I would have been in so much pain.

I'm surprised so many people go home the same day. There is no way I would have been ready to go home. If I weren't on the morphine, I would have been in so much pain.

Honestly, I don't think I should have gone home the same day. When I left I hadnt moved around a lot nor really kept anything down since I couldnt stay awake. The nurse I had really seemed to want me out however so I suppose I folded to the pressure and left when I wasnt 100% comforble with it.

Im glad you stayed home until you were ready! Thats going to make the whole experence of recovery so much better!

Did anyone have problems with the intubation? It sounds like no one remembered! That is one of my biggest fears!

@FyrEMT: First, they only require intubation those that they think will need it. People who currently require a CPAP machine, or have sleep apnea, or have large necks, or who the anaesthesiologist believes is at high risk of having problems breathing. My surgeon says that less than half the people even fall into this "possible" category.

However, before I went into my surgery, they said I had a large neck but that they don't think I will require intubation. So, going in I didn't think I was going to be. They put me to sleep, I woke up, and my throat was sore. So, when I asked if this was common, the nurse replied "yeah, the intubation tube rubbed against the back of [my] throat". To my surprise, I did require intubation. But, they put it in once I was asleep and took it out before I woke up - which I think is the case for 99% of the surgeries.

By your name, I assume you are an EMT and probably do intubations through work. My brother was a paramedic and is now a surgeon, and when I spoke to him after my surgery, he said that intubation "in the field" and in the operating room is drastically different. There is no real "deadline" to get the tube in, they can position your head and neck in almost every which way without the fear of spinal injury, etc. And, unless there is some complication - it's out before you awake. If there is a complication and it needs to stay in, I think it would be the least of your concerns anyways. Luckily, the chance of that is less than 2%

I hope this helped. Good luck ~

January 4th 2010 i was supposed to be in at 8:30am I was called back to preop around 9:30 am. They started my IV and then everyone else started to show up one by one anesthesia, MD and nurse that was going to be in the room.. Then at 10:25 they took me back had me slide over to the table and but the oxygen mask on and told me to take a couple deep breaths and that was that. I do remember the anesthesiologist saying you are in good hands and he had a very calming voice and that really did help. Then I remember waking up in recovery with a decent amount of pain. The nurse gave me morphine, fentanyl, dilaudid, toradol and that finally helped with the pain. The suggestion to bring chap stick is key that really helped alot. I was in recovery from 1:30 pm until 10 pm b/c there was no room for me to go to. Then when I finally got upstairs I was all set for a little while. I was able to walk and move about I was just stuck with that IV to drag around. I found that the toradol worked the very best for pain and the phenergan is good for the nausea and did help me to sleep a little. I was only given ice chips b/c the hospital I was at waits until you have your gi study to make sure the band is in the correct position. The broth that they gave me was delicious I know that sounds rediculous but it tasted so good after nothing for more than a day. I walked and walked and walked and finally was able to go home after 4pm. Today is post op day two and I have showered and have been able to pretty much get by on motrin and a half of a lortab. I am trying to avoid the Constipation from too much pain meds. Honestly it was a little more pain that I expected but managable.

I was banded on Monday, January 4th. My surgery was scheduled for 8:30 a.m. and had to be there at 6am. I was taken up to the admitting floor, weighed, and had to take a pregnancy test. After that, I had to wipe my whole body with these disinfectant wipes and put on the gown and compression socks. The admitting nurse came in, asked me a bunch of questions, and then at 7:30, I was taken to the pre-op floor. Right before I was taken to the pre-op floor was when I started getting nervous. I did shed a few tears, but a lot less than what I thought I would. After that, things went pretty fast. On the pre-op floor, I met all the people who were involved with my surgery. I then got my IV, and that was an event in and of itself. I have really good veins. I have never been poked more than once when getting my blood drawn or getting an IV. But for some reason, my veins were not cooperating. I must have been poked at least 8 times, which equals 16 times because they gave a numbing shot each time they attempted an IV. The nurses said they could get in my veins okay, but when they tried to get the catheter in, my veins would explode. They said it was probably due to dehydration, so by the time they actually got the IV started, I literally had blood trailing all down my arm and pooling on the floor. My arms and tops of my hands are now covered in bruises and I look like a drug addict with all the track marks! Anyway after the IV situation, I was given a lovonox shot, and given relaxing medicine. I remember looking at the clock and it was almost 8:30am when they took me back to the OR. They had me scoot over to the operating table. The nice ladies who were prepping me were asking me lots of questions to keep me calm and comfortable. The last thing I remember is the oxygen mask being put over my nose and thinking that the mask smelled bad....

I woke up in the recovery room and I think I must have been whimpering, because the nurse asked me if I was in pain. I then think I started talking some nonsense, because I think the nurse said I asked something about having 2 livers, and she had to tell me people only have 1 liver LOL. I think I was trying to ask her if my liver was shrunk enough. I remember seeing that it was 10:30am right after I woke up. Anyway, it was around 11am when I was taken to my room and I was up walking by 11:30. Usually my surgeon requires that people keep their foley catheter in until that night or the next morning, but because I was up and moving around so fast, I got mine taken out in the early evening. I think having the catheter in was more painful than the actual surgery, so when I finally got that out, I was walking all over the place!

I got 4 hours sleep that night, due to the fact that I could only sleep on my back, and since my IV was in the crook of my elbow, every time I bent my elbow, the IV machine would deep because it made the tube kink. The next morning I had an Upper GI done to check for leaks. There were none, and I was discharged by 3pm.

All went well with the surgery today, from leaving the house at 9:30am with bestie in tow to arriving back at home at about 9:30pm, this time with bestie having me in tow! The last twelve hours happened pretty quickly - when we got to the hospital at noon, it wasn't long before I saw the admitting nurse, paid my co-pay, signed paperwork, etc. Then, bestie and I were whisked back to the surgical ward where I immediately gave a urine sample, got dressed in the oh-so-fashionable hospital garb (open to the back - woo baby!), and chilled in a bed while an IV was put in my wrist (side note: I HATE IV'S in my wrist! HATE them!). By 1pm I was chillin' in my bed in the room outside of the operating room - which would later be the recovery room for me. I hung out there for awhile, met with my doctor, anesthesiologist, and nurse, and was wheeled into the operating room at about 2pm. Once there, it wasn't long before I was literally strapped down, arms out to either side of me, and legs strapped down together like I was a prisoner in a mental ward...and, while final tightening and adjustments were being made to my arms and legs, the anesthesiologist threw an oxygen mask on me, told me to take deep breaths...

...and I woke up back in the recovery room at about 4pm (although apparently the nurse had told bestie at 3pm that I was done and on my way out - guess I took awhile to recover!). Doctors said my surgery went perfectly! At that point, my throat was VERY dry and I was feeling pain in my stomach, which I later found out is where the "port" incision for my LapBand is. After taking in more oxygen, because the doctor says I wasn't taking deep enough breaths to fully recover from the anesthesia, I was wheeled to the original room I was in (with a "Hi Bestie!" mid way to grab him from the waiting room) at about 4:30pm. We hung out for about an hour while I continued to wake up, use the restroom, get the IV removed, get my prescriptions, talk with the doctor, got dressed, contacted family...lol. It was an eventful hour :thumbup:. And, with that? I was wheeled out to the front of the hospital and in my car before 6pm, with bestie driving, of course!

The trip home was uneventful for me - I was still in pain at the port incision (I had learned that I have 4 incisions in mah belly, and that the two surrounding the port will be the most painful for me, according to the doctor), and the trapped CO2 gas in my stomach was finally trying to escape...leading me to have shoulder pains from trapped gas trying to escape. I know bestie had fun navigating Los Angeles traffic for the first time, but I was in and out of consciousness, so I couldn't tell ya much of what happened! I did have him stop after about an hour so I could get up and walk...I've read too much about developing blood clots in your legs from all of this, and that walking also helps to get rid of the trapped gas in your body. So, we walked around a 76 station (I believe - I was kinda out of it...) in Santa Clarita for a bit, and we hopped back in the car...destination: PHARMACY!

Yup, by that time I was ready for drugs. I was drinking Water to soothe the VERY dry throat, but was nervous about it - not knowing how much water my now-little belly could hold. But, I wanted to get my post-op drugs so I could start recovering the way I'm supposed to. Luckily, the first store we stopped at once getting back in town had some awesome ladies in the pharmacy - with twenty minutes to closing, they were more than happy to fill my two prescriptions, talk with me and get me on my way. Yay! I also picked up some Gas-X strips, because I've heard they help greatly with all this trapped CO2, and some sugar-free Caramel coffee Werther's Original candies...omg YUM! The nurse had told me I could suck on cough drops, so I figured this was just as safe - as long I don't chew it up or take any chunks down mah esophagus!

Equipped with my Walgreen's bag of goodies, bestie and I headed (finally) for home. I downed 2 Gas-X strips on the way (peppermint-yum!) which seem to be helping with the gas buildup, sucked a Werther's down (omg-yummier!), and got home to greet my kitty cats and take the first round of meds. (1) I've got liquid vicodin/acetaminophen to help with the pain - I'm able to take that every 4 hours, up to 5 times a day. I giggled at the pharmacy lady when she advised me to take it with food - then told her I was on strictly liquids for a week! (2) I've got antibiotics in capsule form, which I get to open and mix the capsule-y powder into a liquid in order to consume four times a day. First time? I dumped the powder on top of the 1/2 ounce of liquid painkiller - lemme tell ya, NEITHER of the meds taste good...all sorts of "ew" went down with those first meds. I believe my quote to bestie was, "This tastes like every sort of ass in the world." But, they're both great for me - antibiotics must be taken for the next seven days, and I'm not about to be a martyr for pain, so I'll be sure to be taking the liquid pain cocktail of goodness often, as permitted :thumbup:. I'd read that a lot of post-op "bandsters" feel that they don't need the pain meds, so they don't take it, then fall asleep and wake up with horrendous pain. No thanks! I have no problem at all downin' some liquid feel good meds!

Post-op appointment is next Thursday...bring on the recovery! I'm still stoked I did this, and I'm excited to meet the healthy me!

My surgery was Saturday, 9 January, at 11:00 a.m.

I arrived at the hospital at 9:00 a.m. via taxi, made the balance of my payment (I am self-pay) and was brought to the room where I would stay. Nurses brought in a scale and took my height and weight and vitals, and advised me to change into my gown. I changed and put away some personal things I'd brought with me and sat on the bed and tried my best to watch TV and not be worried! Two nurses came in with compression hose and put them on me.

Then the surgical staff came in one by one to meet me and explain their roles in the surgery, all asking general questions about my health. A nurse came back and started my IV (no problems) and put an injection into my stomach to prevent blood clots (no problems with this either, didn't even feel it.)

I was wheeled up to surgery and remember the anesthesiologist telling me that she wanted to see my "big beautiful smile" in recovery right after the surgery. I told her I would do my best and remember taking some deep breaths... and then I woke up in recovery. My doctor told me everything went well and there were no problems, although my liver was a little larger than he would have liked it to be.

I slept off and on throughout the day and night, getting up to sip Water and walk to the bathroom to pee frequently and walk around my room. For the most part the pain was tolerable, although they don't exactly prescribe the same medications here as they do in the U.S. (They are definitely not as strong here - no morphine after surgery, but something similar to a high dose of ibuprofin.) I was released yesterday late afternoon after having a drainage tube removed from my abdomen and my friend picked me up to stay with her for a couple of days.

I am experiencing gas pain in my shoulder for the first time this morning. I have pain at the port site as well, but it's not too bad. I am going in Wednesday for a follow-up and can't wait to take a shower after he looks at the incision sites.

I'm on my way! :blush:

weight.png