Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Journey Came to Screeching Halt Today!

THis is exactly why I went to Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana. I was not about to jump thru all those hoops for some cock-eyed Dr. in the US to keep me coming and spending more and more money. :wub: I can't believe you went thru all that. FIND YOU ANOTHER DR. TODAY. AND GOOD RIDENCE ON THE OTHER QUACK.:w00t:

I call the Obesity Control Center off their website and spoke to Carolyn, a patient coordinator on 3/10/08 and had to lose 10# preop and was banded on 4/7/08. They are wonderful. :tt2: If it's what you want, get it and stop wasting time.

Sorry, but that really hacks me off!

reneej

I didn't get GP approval either. When I went in and told him I wanted surgery, he told me to see a nutritionist for 6 months. I told him it wasn't his decision how I decided to lose weight and to give me the referral. I would let a bariatric doctor who specializes in weight loss to decide if I am a candidate or not. They don't have to agree with your choice, if you qualify by insurance standards, he needs to give you a referral. He works for you and you must insist. Once I saw my surgeon, he set everything else up and didnt deal with GP after that. Good luck

LngRed Rose, I am from Plaquemines Parish below New Orleans. I had my surgery at West Jefferson Medical Center by Dr. David Treen and his Staff. The name of Dr. Treens clinic is "Surgical Clinic of Louisiana". They provide service at a couple of differant locations. You can check them out at www.sclaweightloss.com if you are interested.

pbpunisher... How Far are you from Grand Rapids? It sounds like you need a surgeon and a GP that will work for you. Try Grand River Surgery. Visit them at www.grandriversurgery.com Talk to Rachel at 616-532-8100. They have a great program with excellant pre and post-op care and education. They also have a great support group that meets once a week. Drop both your Docs and give them a call. I have found them to be very thourough and proffesional. Feel free to send me a PM if you'd like more info. I am about a month away from approval and surgery with them. Good Luck.

Jason

Edited by jayboy

Why not go to your other doctors you see like your OBGYN and have them do a letter to the band doctor.

My wife had the same problem with here doctor he did a letter but would not put all the information that was needed said that we had to go back to the doctors and get approval. His reason was due to HIPPA even though he was in charge of the medical file that had the information. So we just went to her OBGYN and had him do the same letter with all the stuff ans faxed it to the band doctor and he sent it to the insurance company and was approved within 15 minutes. The rest is history. We both have been banded for almost 9 months and doing well. We go in a couple of weeks and I will get another fill for sure. Have not had a fill since January.

That is exactly what I did... I did not go thru my pcp I went thru my OBGYN Do u have an hmo or ppo?

I kinda had the same problem i went through all my classes saw the shrink lost my weight but i had severe sleep apnea and could not use the cpap the doctor said he would not do my surgery untill i lost more weight i told him this is why i was having the surgery in the first place to lose weight for my sleep apnea my surgery was scheduled on a monday the friday before is when the dr called and told me no i told him straight out i need this surgery and he decided he would do it after all

Wow. That's a real bummer. I was feeling sorry for myself because my journey got postponed a few weeks because I need another trip to the pulmonologist. Just do what the doc says - the time will pass by quicker if you are really engaged in an exercise program at a gym with others. Don't forget to write in your food diary every day. Hang in there. You'll get there.

THis is exactly why I went to Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana. I was not about to jump thru all those hoops for some cock-eyed Dr. in the US to keep me coming and spending more and more money. :angry: I can't believe you went thru all that. FIND YOU ANOTHER DR. TODAY. AND GOOD RIDENCE ON THE OTHER QUACK.:smile2:

I call the Obesity Control Center off their website and spoke to Carolyn, a patient coordinator on 3/10/08 and had to lose 10# preop and was banded on 4/7/08. They are wonderful. :) If it's what you want, get it and stop wasting time.

Sorry, but that really hacks me off!

reneej

What "hacks" me off ..not sure what this means, is calling Drs in the USA cock eyed. We live in a land where there isn't socialized medicine "yet" , and have choices to see a different Dr. You go to Mexico if you like but we live in a land of greatness and opportunity. Don't tear apart all the Drs here b/c one yahoo wanted more information. My Dr is a 10 min drive if i have a problem, how far is your Dr in mexico?

Don't insult where you live and are free.

I find it funny that you guys are telling SingleDAD167 to talk to his OB/GYN...maybe you should read the posts a little more clearly! LOL!

My suggestion, find a new GP and maybe even look for a different LB doctor. My LB dr. didn't even contact my GP, although my GB was completely on board.

If your insurance does not require your PCP's input, why not head straight to a surgeon, and let him/her oversee your preop stuff?

I'm kind of appalled that your GP would observe as you jumped through all the necessary (and not-inexpensive) hoops, only to say, "Nope, another 6 months."

The problem with waiting 6 months is that the surgeon may well require repeats of many of the tests you've already had, if sufficient time elapses.

Yes, surgeons do like it if PCPs are on board. But they often don't check :rolleyes2: I mentioned banding to my (then very lukewarm) PCP, and he sort of told me, "Good luck with that." Now he recommends banding to a lot of his patients.

Wellbutrin is sometimes prescribed because of its appetite suppressant properties. It usually does not effect a large loss, however. (If I recall correctly, the average loss is 6 pounds.)