Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Journey Came to Screeching Halt Today!

My GP shot me down today. I was so excited after months preperation of going to the intro seminar, getting my sleep study, getting a cpap, getting my psych study, and last was getting my GP approval. He denied me saying that I hadn't done enough. He wants another six months with a detailed journal of my exercise. He prescibed wellbutrin, and said to come back in a month. I'm really dissappointed. Anyone else have this happen, and if so, is there anything that can be done? I'm really commited to this and I feel confident I can make the necessary lifestyle changes (I have already began). Any suggestion?

WTF?!? Sounds like this doc is about as anti-WLS as one could get. Wellbutrin? How will a mild anti-depressant help you lose weight better than WLS, exactly. Do you absolutely have to have your PCP's approval, or can you "doctor shop" to find somebody that will support and respect your decision?

WTF?!? Sounds like this doc is about as anti-WLS as one could get. Wellbutrin? How will a mild anti-depressant help you lose weight better than WLS, exactly. Do you absolutely have to have your PCP's approval, or can you "doctor shop" to find somebody that will support and respect your decision?

No, only thing my insurance requires is having a BMI 40> or 35 with comorbities (sp?). I was stunned to say the least. I told him I wasn't even feeling depressed.

So, since insurance will pay....who requires your GP's approval? The bariatric surgeon? Stunned is putting it lightly!

So, since insurance will pay....who requires your GP's approval? The bariatric surgeon? Stunned is putting it lightly!

I think so, I saw the letter he sent to my docs office and the requirement from the surgeons office requred some medical test for pre op, and a writtng letter endosing the surgerty which obviously my doc refused to do.

Please find another doctor! There are many physicians out there who support this treatment, and will give you their blessing! I was lucky that my Dr. gave me her full support from the beginning, although I am still in my 6 month wait for a Dr. supervised weight loss plan. Good luck, and don't let this discourage you.

I'd talk to the Bariatric Surgeon to be sure that's an insurance requirement or the surgeon's requirement. Not sure what it would do, but at least you'd know where it stems from in order to plan your next steps. My regular doctor had nothing to do with my decision for Lap Band Surgery, and it was all handled via the surgeon (actually True Results, but that's like a clearinghouse for the docs they work with), and none of my pretests were associated with my doctor. All my doctors office did was provide my medical records, which they have to hand over regardless of how they feel.

I've not heard of your situation before, but I havent heard them all yet! I just cant fathom that this would put a stop to the whole thing....I could be wrong, but I'm really hoping with some legwork you can get past this and move on to a successful surgery!

Best of luck!

Tina

I'd talk to the Bariatric Surgeon to be sure that's an insurance requirement or the surgeon's requirement. Not sure what it would do, but at least you'd know where it stems from in order to plan your next steps. My regular doctor had nothing to do with my decision for Lap Band Surgery, and it was all handled via the surgeon (actually True Results, but that's like a clearinghouse for the docs they work with), and none of my pretests were associated with my doctor. All my doctors office did was provide my medical records, which they have to hand over regardless of how they feel.

I've not heard of your situation before, but I havent heard them all yet! I just cant fathom that this would put a stop to the whole thing....I could be wrong, but I'm really hoping with some legwork you can get past this and move on to a successful surgery!

Best of luck!

Tina

The insurance apporval was the very first thing I (and the lap band doc) checked on before starting the process. I called and they said no pre requisions what so ever other than what I stated. After reading the lap docs letter to my GP it seemed clear he required the approval. I'll know more tommorow when I call.

If your pcp still will not give the ok for your surgery,try contacting the insurance company and explain to them what your pcp is doing. If you have multiple health issues that will benefit by having the surgery, explain that to the insurance company. Get documentation from your record at the pcp office to back everything up. If yopu can prove a point to the insurance company they may ok the surg w/out the pcp approval. You can also, try your gyn dr who might go for bat for you and clear you. Ask the bariatric surgeon to refer you to another pcp that is more willing to asist you. If your present pcp won't help you get another.

my pcp was the one who suggested i do this,even went so far as finding a surgeon,thats because he was not familiar with one,,but said he has been looking at all the studies and feels this or the gastric sleeve,is the way to go,my pcp is very good and realizes any significant weightloss is worth it also knows there ain't no magic bullet coming are way soon, realizes it is hard as hell to control how much you eat,,and this will definately help me,,even if i lse 50lbs and not gain it back that would be a good thing,,yea he's also got great bedside manner,,cause when i went to see him for a physical he asked if i had any problems i said yea doc my knees hurt like hell,,he told me this is normal i said what,,he said yea there supposed to hurt when yor 45 yrs old and weigh 297lbs,, i had to laugh my ass off and come to the reality,that yep he's right:smile:

pbpunisher, let us all know how this plays out. I am indignant your PCP would write you off so easily...

Ok, called my band doc today, and talked to the assistant. Told them that my PCP will not give me the recomendation, but my insurance does not require it. She told me that the doc usually prefers that the PCP be onboard with it, but she'll talk to my lap band doc and call me back. So now my fate is in his hands. Please keep your fingers crossed for me!

I wish you best of luck as well. Not all PCP's are onboard with WLS, regardless of the circumstances.

At any rate, you may want to look for a new PCP. Even if you manage to get it approved without the PCP's endorsement, you will need a physician that you can continue to go to and share your experiences and health concerns with.

I wish you best of luck as well. Not all PCP's are onboard with WLS, regardless of the circumstances.

At any rate, you may want to look for a new PCP. Even if you manage to get it approved without the PCP's endorsement, you will need a physician that you can continue to go to and share your experiences and health concerns with.

I think no matter what happens, I'm going to find a new PCP, it's just hard when you've been with one for a long time, but it's my health. This is just something we don't see eye to eye on.