Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hey! i was 15 when i was banded in jan 2007. it;s a bit difficult to get use to when you become more restricted. eating with friends and going out to dinner can be stressful if your band is tight. it all depends upon what fill level you're comfortable with. that'll come later though

4 days after the surgery i was snowboarding in the mountains :wink2: so recovery was easy for me... i've lost 80 lbs and i love my band lol it's my friend.

if you have any specific questions ask away!!

ryan i think you are mature enough to make this decision, and people may judge you for it because they are unfamiliar with it, but only because they care about you and they want you to be healthy. i'm also sure sarah didn't mean any harm by expressing her opinion, but just know there will be plenty more people who don't understand why you need the surgery. :wink2:

good luck! keep posting on here!

Ryan you are very wise to try and take back control of your life. The health discovery channel had a show. They had several teenagers that have had the bypass( which is much more dangerous for someone your age) The boys were thrilled with themselves. They started working out, buying clothes, DATING etc. Everything that teenager want to do plus their SELF ESTEEM was wonderful. You can do this! Your grandmother has the band and will help coach you in eating properly.

I know you will be so thrilled to see the weight dropping off. Yes you have to cut back on food but you won't be hungry all the time.

I was banded at NYU in NYC. My Doctor has a grant and has helped teenager regain their lives back by giving him the band. His name is DR George Fielding........I owe him my life. I was in a sinking hole and he helped me out. Join us and get your life back....

The best of luck...... I'm talking as a teacher, mother and fellow bandster

SPUNKY

Hey Ryan!

I'm 17 and going through with the band. I'm not sure if you're still around but we all are going through this together! I'm sure it will be the best decision we could ever make for ourselves.

Good luck and please give us an update! :thumbup:

Hi Ryan,

I know that I am a little older than you, but when I had the surgery I can honestly say it was the best decision I have ever made in my life. I am 21 and had my surgery done last August at a Children's Hospital here in Arkansas. They are doing a study on 18-21 year olds as well as 14-17 year olds. In fact, I have been so positively impacted by this experience that I got an internship working at the Fitness Clinic this summer where I am developing a lap band support group for young adults.

I will say that you will make some lifestyle changes, but it will be an amazing experience! Everyday I am so thankful that I did it. I have lost about 65 pounds since my surgery and now weigh 220. I think what is so wonderful about this is that it gives you the flexibility to still hang out with your friends, go out to eat and have a normal life. Best wishes to you!! let me know if I can help in any way!

I just wanted to pop in and say you guys are an inspiration. To make such intelligent decisions at such a young age...I don't know if I would've been capable of that at your age.

Congrats on taking control of your lives!

Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

how are your drs letting you have this done. im 19 and my insurance will only cover 21 and over unless my dr will give the "ok" and its looking like she wont. she keeps saying that i have to have some co morbity but thats what im trying to prevent. it isnt going to take much so i want to make a change that i know will last but she just isnt getting it.

Alot of them are self pay, either that or I guess they get it off there parents insurance? Personally the public hospital is funding mine - they want to give me the best chance at life in 5-10 years for a transplant - like I'm going to say no to that right? I think in some situations they should lower the pricing though, I know doctors have to make the money but in some cases alot of people are more of a matter that they need it now. Holly with you do you have any family members that have diabetes? If so I would have thought that would be kind of an incentive - like say you have 15 family members that have diabetes - that's an obvious sign that you have a high chance of getting it. Maybe ask your doctor to do a blood test and check over everything - also an abg to check your blood oxygen, if you have sleep apnea or a low blood oxygen count that would definetly push you more towards the top of the line

my aunt was borderline diabetic and my grandma was full blown diabetic. she also had hear disease and numerous other weight related problems. they have checked me and all of my numbers are normal, for everything. they haven't called me back yet so I'm going to call them today. I'm so afraid they are going to reject me completely.

Sooooo Sorry i havnt been posting.

The last few months were crazy. Family related stuff. =/

But things have settled down alot. And all of your guys's stories and supposrt like literally put a smile on my face. You guys like made my week =]

And as far as updates go? My surgeon is pushing for november!

ahhh, ill be so happy!

Ive got alot to loose. But its worth it. Even if it takes me years. Whats 3 extra years? when ive been heavy for almost 13 right?

=] again, thanks everyone. and i think as it gets closer to my actual date. ill be on here alot more. =]

<3

hey this my opion. I just turned 16 last month and I'm still being evaluated, I really have tried everything to loose weight and nothing has worked. I weigh 266 pounds and my doctor thinks it's really good idea to get the lap band. Me, personally I think it's better to have the surgery at this age because you heal easier when you're younger and the longer you go through life being obeist the worst it is on your physical and emotional health as well. So I think ti's great that you're going for it. I wish you good luck :)

Guesss i should have informed you all of just HOW much i weigh. Lol.

Hight: 6'2"

Weight: 424

yes, i know, totally effin huge.

Thankfully i carry it well, other wise id look worse then i do now. D:

Highblood pressure, Borderline Diabetic, Back/Knee problems.

Believe me, im disgusted :frown:with my self for letting it go this far. And very disapointed. But if this is my way to get healthy, then so be it

Hey RyanX93, my name is Emily and I am 15 and currently weigh 300 I am 5ft6 I am also being evaluated right now too but my insurance is being difficult so I am not sure when I am going to get the band :thumbup:

I carry my weight good too..I am boderline Diabetic and it runs in my family.. I am VERY disgusted at myself for letting me getting this way..:wub:

I guess what I am trying to say is You're not alone..

And GO FOR IT!:)

hey RyanX93, im erin, and im 18. i started this process at 17, but i wanted to have this done when i was 16. yet my insurance required me to be 18. it took 9 months to actually get my surgery date, and im so effin scared like you wont believe. the place im getting banded at said that im the youngest theyve banded. wow. awesome (: i love one of the nurses, she makes things great! she makes me comfortable. still scared but im thinking positive(always) thinking about all the things ill be able to do (: i was overweight ever since i was 3, ever so sad. but i must go to bed, leaving to go to the hospital in 4 and a half hours, eep!..did you get banded yet? well best of wishes anyways!(:

Hey man good luck with the surgery, I'm around the same weight as you but I'm only 5'11 and its still like 4 month's before i turn 16 and i was wondering if you had msn or something like that, I would like to ask you some question's about the surgery.