Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am also about 2.5 weeks out and getting scared. I know the brain is the part that I am fighting but that doesn't make the fight easier. I feel like I can eat way too much. The doctor said soft food but I guess I am not exactly sure what he means by soft because my definition of soft is not what he thinks. I am afraid it is too late and that I have already stretched my pouch. My first fill is 6/5 and I am praying it helps. I gained a lb since last monday and that scares me to death. HELP!:cry_smile:

I am also about 2.5 weeks out and getting scared. I know the brain is the part that I am fighting but that doesn't make the fight easier. I feel like I can eat way too much. The doctor said soft food but I guess I am not exactly sure what he means by soft because my definition of soft is not what he thinks. I am afraid it is too late and that I have already stretched my pouch. My first fill is 6/5 and I am praying it helps. I gained a lb since last monday and that scares me to death. HELP!:cry_smile:

Nursienicole

What are you eating and how much per meal - are you eating Snacks

After reading through all this I am a bit surprised. I have a huge amount of will power and I can certainly tell the difference between head hunger and real hunger. All I can do is refer to what I am experiencing.

I have a large band that holds 14 cc's and my doctor put 0 Fluid in it at surgery. I can't get a fill for at least another 4 weeks so I will have some restriction. As I understand it, some doctors put Fluid in at surgery and others don't so that may account for why some of us feel this and others don't.

As I said in my previous post, I have not experienced any problems other than I have had to learn to limit myself because I can eat more than I should be able to without a problem. Clearly I was educated by my Dr. and realize I need to control it. My doctor informs me this will change when I find my sweet spot but first my body has to heal to be able to tolerate a fill. I have never viewed the band as anything other than a tool and know I must change my habits however, I did believe the band would offer more support at this point in time than it has, again I believe and my Dr. has confirmed it will in the near future.

Just for the record, I am hungary when I sit down to eat so it is hard to stop, with restriction this is easier so I understand these feelings. I am following the rules as outlined by my Dr. and would not jeopardize anything nor do I believe this is a lack of will power or head hunger. I'm not grazing or eating all day or washing my food down with liquid or not following the rules. I'm just hungary clearly why I'm overweight to begin with....Yes often times there is boredom and head hunger but this is something different and based on the number of PM's I have received on the subject this is something many of us are struggling with and finding it hard to get support that fits....I'm disappointed that the first reaction is to jump to saying we are not doing what we are supposed to or can't tell the difference between the head hunger and hunger etc....the truth is this is something that many of us are feeling.

I'm glad we can all reach out to each other and be supportive, it is nice to know that we are all in the same boat even if we don't have an answer for what we are feeling it somehow makes it easier to know we are not alone in what we feel.

First of all I think the OP was a troll - meaning that whomever posted this thread was trying to get a reaction from pple - just the way it's worded cause me to think this - I have come across a few threads where people register under fakie names and post just to stir up crap...

I can tell you from my personal experience that the urge to stop eating even with perfect restriction (which I have) is still a problem... It's my addiction - once I start eating - I can have a problem stopping even when I am phyically full. My brain is telling me I am hungry and even though I a phsyically full. And for me this is mostly a night time habit - as this is when I would medicate myself - reward myself the most.

Also, even with perfect restriction - candy, Cookies etc slide right thru - I could eat 1000 calories of reese pb cups in one sitting right now and if I did that I sure would want some help to stop - but really none of us can make the other persons food choices and by following the examples of other who have been successful - or reading their post - it will inspire them to do the head work and make the changes needed to win the war on our fat.

Again - we are here for support - but I feel that as obese people we make a lot of excuses for why we can't change our eating habit and why we can't fight our urges - this is a learning process we are going to fall down and sometime tough band love is what is need (love being the operative word)

I was banded 4/29/2008 and like the rest, am hungrier than hell. I was told this is to be expected but that I should try hard to remain on liquid/mushy food for at least another 2-3 weeks.

LOL...try telling that to my body......I have lost almost 16 since my surgery and would really hate to blow it, but everytime I see bread, Pasta, Cookies I want to dive into like Roseanne Barr use to dive into cheesepuffs on her comedy tours.

Good gawd there were donuts today that I eyeballed like I was going to murder them with my teeth.

Other posts are right, it is ALL about will power. I caved in an had a couple of Cookies, which means 3, the other day but I stopped. I have not had any candy, ice cream, cake, Lord only knows that it is all around me almost everyday too.

Here is what helps me: the creamed soups-baked potato, brocolli and cheese, chicken tortilla and Tomato basil. They are smooth enough yet have more consistancy to fill me up.

I also live on smoothie King Protein shakes (LOw Carb High Protein) and PowerBar Protein plau chocolate & Peanut Butter bars (the Peanut Butter is not the same consistancy as regular peanut butter.

I have found out that although I can tolerate a little (and do mean a little) bit a bread, I cannot tolerate straight peanut butter. Not suppose to have it anyway.

You have to want to lose the weight bad enough to not give in to the temptation. Trust, I have to close the fridge door everyday and beg myself not to open it again. I have two kids at home that should not be deprived of breads, rice, Cereal etc. etc.

Keep small portions around the house, this should keep you from eating too much also.

Good Luck and Keep Us Posted!!

OKpunkinpie, I bet if you wrote down what you're eating, you are eating so much less than you ate before surgery. My doctor said to try to learn the new bandster habits during this healing phase but don't get discouraged if you gain weight before reaching your sweet spot. Good luck.

Are you having more restriction now that you've had your first fill. I too can eat anything as long as I chew it well.....I get my first fill on June 10th and I'm hoping that I'll be more restricted. Is this mormal guys?

Are you having more restriction now that you've had your first fill. I too can eat anything as long as I chew it well.....I get my first fill on June 10th and I'm hoping that I'll be more restricted. Is this mormal guys?

Yes - it's normal

this is not the forum to be preachy or condescending.. because if WE ALL had restraint. we would not be on this forum in the first place. To all of those who are struggling with hunger and following doctors orders to a T.. just try and gain control and always keep foods around you that will not permit you to cheat...

many people have hit their goal weights and have done a great job! I congratulate you .. but you need to remember that everyone is not the same and it appears that all doctors are not the same either. I have seen that some doctors keep their patients on liquids for almost a month, some doctors require pre -op diets and also require some weight loss before surgery.. such was not the case with me..

So just to repeat. we are hear for support and not to beat each other up emotionally.. That just does not work.. Peace

this is not the forum to be preachy or condescending.. because if WE ALL had restraint. we would not be on this forum in the first place. To all of those who are struggling with hunger and following doctors orders to a T.. just try and gain control and always keep foods around you that will not permit you to cheat...

many people have hit their goal weights and have done a great job! I congratulate you .. but you need to remember that everyone is not the same and it appears that all doctors are not the same either. I have seen that some doctors keep their patients on liquids for almost a month, some doctors require pre -op diets and also require some weight loss before surgery.. such was not the case with me..

So just to repeat. we are hear for support and not to beat each other up emotionally.. That just does not work.. Peace

I really don't see anyone getting beaten up here or not being supportive - all that has been done is to give advice, experience etc.

Yes - everyone is diff - everyone's doc's are diff- some want to be coddled - some need kick in the butt - some will succeed - some won't - just trying to help everyone succeed.

Peace Out...

I really don't see anyone getting beaten up here or not being supportive - all that has been done is to give advice, experience etc.

Yes - everyone is diff - everyone's doc's are diff- some want to be coddled - some need kick in the butt - some will succeed - some won't - just trying to help everyone succeed.

Peace Out...

Indigo - if my statement does not apply to you.. then dont take it personally. There Have been times when people on this forum appear to be self righteous and preachy.. I am speaking FACt... the forum is to encourage and enlighten.. that is just my opinion. We all have weaknesses and i do not think that people posting their shortcomings should have to endure any more guilt . Just praise and support.. let it be a Amen to that.. !

Indigo - if my statement does not apply to you.. then don't take it personally. There Have been times when people on this forum appear to be self righteous and preachy.. I am speaking FACt... the forum is to encourage and enlighten.. that is just my opinion. We all have weaknesses and i do not think that people posting their shortcomings should have to endure any more guilt . Just praise and support.. let it be a Amen to that.. !

I don't know who your statement applied to since you didn't quote the statement you were referring to.

I am not going to praise and support someone who is eating against their doctors orders or eating Cookies, candies, and around their band all together and then cry the blues that they aren't losing the weight. I am not going to enable that type of behavior.

I am going to give tough band love (the operative word being love)

Ya you fell down - now pick yourself up by your bootstraps and move forward. Know yourself, understand your triggers and respond accordingly to use your new lifestyle tools

I don't think that having major surgery was just another diet and it was going to fix all my problems with food - alot of work has to be done mentally to succeed

Hell ya I may be preachy (follow the rules and do the work) I am self righteous (honest) - I have reached a goal that has been out of my reach my entire life with the help of my band and I did it in 9 1/2 months. I AM PROUD OF ME !!!

I am a fat chick just like you - we are no diff - If you keep telling yourself you are weak then you will be weak - if you tell yourself you are strong you will be strong - positive affirmations work.

If you are telling me all the reasons you can't do something - i have already used those excuses myself - as the saying goes you can't bs a bs'er - one obese person can't bs another obese person with all their excuses as to why they can't eat 4 oz of lean meat opposed to eating 3 candy bars.

We all have different styles - we all respond differently - so my post might not help you - but have ton's of p.m. from people asking me my secret - for my help in attaining their goals - Instead of criticizing someones post who isn't being down right mean - just skip over it - Cuz every time you see my name on this board I am going to be telling someone why and how they can do it (make the healthy lifetime lifestyle change in their eating)

Wishing you all the success in your endeavors..

Good luck Indigo on all your endeavors as well. It is not what you say ..it is how you say it i guess.. that is just me.. the same message but just a little softer..

I dont know what else to do besides diet? When all else fails thats all I know. Im not too good with drinks as meals, if I have choice, but thought back to what dietician suggested and went to GNC and bought Isopure and drink slowly all afternoon. To my surprise I stay full from 11 to dinner and eat sensible meal. I hope this helps. Mentally I feel good b/c I feel in control. I get hungry in evening just not so ravenous. Hi Protein seems to be a good filler:)

Oh fill where art thou! :thumbup:

Patches

Thought I would give an update since my last depressing post here. I am doing much better. I reminded myself that I did this to feel better and that getting myself down and overeating were not doing that.I have lost 12 pounds since my surgery (4/28) and had my first fill yesterday. I did have my first sliming episode yesterday afternoon eating Soup which may have been a bit too thick for 2 hours after the fill, but I am kinda glad I did because now I know what it feels like to be headed in a bad dirrection. Later last night more soup (without the chunks) and some pudding went down well. I woke up a little nauseated and crampy but I am hoping that is a sign of a returning menstrual cycle. A few hours of rest and Clear Liquids has me feeling better...and no vomitting. So for all of you out there struggling take it from me, it can get better.

Wow - good thread! I needed to read all of this.

IndioGirl - you do, do the tough band love, and you know what - for me right now that is what I needed to hear and read today - THANK YOU! - I am 18 mos PO - and am about 97lbs less.:confused: BUT I have been struggling w/ discipline this past month - on and off. I am maintainging, but I don't want to maintain, that is not good enough - I have 50 more pounds to go. I am also only have .5cc filled right now so no restriction - so that is really heard. When I am really restricted, it helps me SO MUCH to keep the head hunger under controll - it is that all or nothing thing for me. I am rarely stomach hungry - it is usually head, so I know the difference. But when I have a "controll at the gate" it makes it eaiser to resist the head. I am fighting it hard at keeping control.

I think what you are saying really should be taken to heart from the not so new bandsters like me - I didn't risk my life and go under the knife just for nothing, so fight this and don't give in. I also think new bandsters need to hear this too, and know that you are in your first stage - your streangth will come in time - you will learn to make better choices, and YOU WILL, but do your best to pull up your boot straps like Indio said. Soon you will see there will be far and few binges in between - just don't berate yourself because you have made some bad choices. Recognize it and start over.

I know my triggers - I am a stress eater, also I crash after an emotional high - one of my recent triggers (now get this isn't this just sad) was I went on a shopping spree - I found myself buying size 12/14 clothes - I had no idea I was that small - I hit such a high and an incredible WOW that I took a mental spin. - My husband had said - "that should be so motivating for you to continue to do good" he is right it should be, but for some weird reason I do the oppisite.

I am slowly learning things about myself and that episode is called self sabatage - It could be stemed from frear as well as the "perfectionist" side of me, but I do need to figure out why I would do that.

Kelvinsmom - I am also a lot like you and take the "soft aproach" non confrontal side of things and agree w/ some of the things you said. Sure if in my first 4 weeks of PO I would have "hurt" from Indigo's comments, and really felt like a failure and weak, and would rather have an ear and emotional support support, and then the kick in the but. BUT I also know if I post something I better be prepaired to take the "good" with the "bad."

I think you both make a great team on this post - both things said and the way they are said are needed and needed to be heard.

It is like the soft sandwich aproach - come on soft (Kelvinsmom) have the hearty meat (Indio) in the center, and then finish it w/ the soft (Kelvinsmom) - at least for me that is what works. We all have what works what will push or motivate us - so take fromt his thread what will work for you.

:thumbup:) THANKS - I REALLY NEEDED THIS TODAY -

DAY 1 - starting over - I will control my eating, myu eating will not control me!

Here is a scripture my husband has given me this past week to help me - So for me each time I am begining to over eat or am tempted by wrong choices I am going to say this to myself. Find a tool to help you too.

1 Corinthians 6:12

All things are lawful for me, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be mastered by anything.