Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was wondering if anyone else struggles on the weekends? I do great during the week but the weekend I feel hungry and grab things I should not. I know it is partly from being bored. But old habits die hard. Pre-banding this was my way as well - diet during the week and do great - the wknd would come and I would blow it. How do you retrain your mind? If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them. Tips, tricks - anything... I didn't go thru all this to continually blow it on the wknds... I am 4 wks post op and have lost 25lbs... I love this forum... I found it prior to my surgery and have checked it daily since.... thanks everyone for the great thoughts, encouragement and information.:)

Hello everyone I want to give some hope to those of you who are eating like they had no surgery! I started eating mashed taters and things of that nature way too fast. but my key to breaking that habbit was get out of the house if at all possible! and don't be afraid to drink protien shakes untill you feel full. just keep a bathroom close :) i was banded back in october and am going for my 5th fill next week. all i can say is the more I get out of the house the more i lose and the more i lose the more i get out of the house!!!!!! so keep your chin up and i assure things will get better.

I have lost 55lbs so far and put on lots of muscle! if you see i guy with his pants falling off and a shirt 2 sizes too big that is more than likely me.

I find it amazing how diff everyone eats after their banding. Tha band makes your new tummy pouch the size of an egg. That's 2ozs worth of room. If you eat more than that at one sitting, then you're stretching that stomach back out to what causes weight gain. This is why it works as a tool. I'm being instructed by my doc's nut to eat only 2ozs (that's 1/4 cup) for the first few months. By one yr, I can move up to 1/2 cup. She said people with good results are up to 1 whole cup by 2nd yr, no more than that. Also, important key to help your body lose weight and curve hunger...PROTEIN!!!!

It was a revelation to me when I realized something I always knew;

this band is a tool that will help us do something we never were able to do LOSE WEIGHT, but it isn't going to do it on its own. If you made the decision to get banded then other options weren't working for you.

You have to get motivated and when hunger hits try to figure out whether it's real hunger or head hunger.

I am 2 months post-op and I am still stuggling with figuring out whether I'm really hungry or not!!! I keep myself busy and when I know I'm really not hungry but want to eat I take my dog for a walk or go for a drive or re-arrange the living room or go on the computer.

I know it sounds crazy but it works for me! Once you get your first fill you'll feel a little fuller quicker but probably still think you're hungry at times. We didn't get where we are by being able to control our eating

and I wish we could be brainwashed at the same time we're banded, but it's all about behavior modification and it's something you have to work at if you want to reach your goal!!

I know you can do it ....and we all need to B A N D together!!

Just a quick note yes your new pouch is small but untill your adjusted the passage to your larger stomach is still pretty large so lots of things will just pass right through! drinking and eating will add to this. as for stretching your new stomach unless you swallow large chunks of food. that should not happen for the most part. and if you do swallow large chunks of food it will hurt like hell and you will learn quickly!!

please let me know if i worded this wrong!! i don't want to miss lead people :)

today i made a great mistake. i left the house without eating and packing my "supplies".. with that being said. my first real meal was at 4pm. i at a few slices of chicken balogna on whole grain bread. washed it down with crystal lite. so how bad did i do guys? ps and because i was soooo hungry i was afraid that i was not chewing enough. i need a fill !! - i think i am eating way too much..

the ting that is hard is when people keep saying to HAVE WILLPOWER. SHOOOOOOOTTTTT if weall had willpower we wouldn't have needed to be banded.

If you don't have willpower with this surgery then it is kind of pointless don't you think? You can't just eat and eat and stretch out your pouch or risk it slipping etc. Like everyone has said before this isn't a cure all.

Part of the job is the band, the rest is your emotions, and will to not eat when you're hungry, specially not bad foods.

today i made a great mistake. i left the house without eating and packing my "supplies".. with that being said. my first real meal was at 4pm. i at a few slices of chicken balogna on whole grain bread. washed it down with crystal lite. so how bad did i do guys? ps and because i was soooo hungry i was afraid that i was not chewing enough. i need a fill !! - i think i am eating way too much..

Well I don't know if your doctor has given you permission to graduate to solid foods, but "washing it down with crystal light" sent flags up to me. Whenever anyone asks me how I got to goal in less than 9 months I tell them it is because I followed the rules. YES EVERY RULE! I dont think I ever broke a rule since being banded. I am totally unfilled right now and I still DO NOT drink with my meals. I can cause you to vomit because it can float the food back up the esophagus and with bread it can cause it to expand and get stuck in the stoma.

If you don't have willpower with this surgery then it is kind of pointless don't you think? You can't just eat and eat and stretch out your pouch or risk it slipping etc. Like everyone has said before this isn't a cure all.

Part of the job is the band, the rest is your emotions, and will to not eat when you're hungry, specially not bad foods.

Froggi...I sense great success in your future!

Well I don't know if your doctor has given you permission to graduate to solid foods, but "washing it down with crystal light" sent flags up to me. Whenever anyone asks me how I got to goal in less than 9 months I tell them it is because I followed the rules. YES EVERY RULE! I dont think I ever broke a rule since being banded. I am totally unfilled right now and I still DO NOT drink with my meals. I can cause you to vomit because it can float the food back up the esophagus and with bread it can cause it to expand and get stuck in the stoma.

allow me to make a correction i did wait 30 -45 minutes before i had the crystal lite. i am happy for your success Salsa. and glad that you are very disciplined and reached your goal in less than a year,

i do believe that i started message with, " i made a mistake by not eating all day" and yes, it appears that each doctor gives different orders as to when to graduate to solid foods.

i have seen many on this board that have gone to soft foods and some solids within 10 days.

allow me to make a correction i did wait 30 -45 minutes before i had the crystal lite. i am happy for your success Salsa. and glad that you are very disciplined and reached your goal in less than a year,

i do believe that i started message with, " i made a mistake by not eating all day" and yes, it appears that each doctor gives different orders as to when to graduate to solid foods.

i have seen many on this board that have gone to soft foods and some solids within 10 days.

You are right you did start it with that and I wasn't as concerned about the type of food and I am happy that you did wait to wash it down. I was afraid that you were drinking the crystal light WITH it. That is what scared me. As for when to graduate, my doc told me that it has a lot to do with the suturing techniques on the band so it is important to follow the docs rules. Now saying that you recognized what the problem was and my bet is you won't be waiting to eat again. We all have days that are off...today was yours. Tomorrow will be better! I just wanted to make sure you had the information about why not to drink when eating. Sometimes docs get so busy that they don't inform patients like they should. Good luck!

Ok, here is my 2 cnts worth, Stop, take a deep breath,, if it isn't the middle of the night when this "hunger" hits,, get out of the house. I knew when I made the decision to get the band I had to change one other major thing. Get out more. I don't work outside my home, I have no family within 1700 miles, no connections here, I move every few years. When I travel back east to my kids and grandkids, I am on the go non stop, but when I am home, I am the complete opposite. I knew I would have to find reasons and ways to get out. I go to the gym, I go to the library and check out old books for sale, I go check out flowers at local nurseries, window shop, I love thrift stores,, I garden, anything to get me away from a tv and out amongst other people even if I am by myself. Go to a bookstore, the park, I go fishing. It has really helped me lot. I dont get pre-occupied by food or eating.

Since I don't know your Dr rules for eating I would say, call them again and tell them what you are going thru, ask them for more specific help, my Drs guidlines allowed me to adjust my food choices so I was liq for only 48 hrs, then mushy real food to real food chewed well in small bites. I have yet to have restriction even after a fill, and you may not even after several fills. Everyone is different.

If you continue to have overwhelming issues of feeilng hungry and out of control, I agree with other posts, you should consider speaking with someone further that can help you sort out those issue in a private personal setting.

Lastly, don't damage your new pouch or esphogaus. Remember what they told you could happen if you ate too much or the wrong foods too soon ? We can stretch our new pouch, cause reflux issues, aggravaite other medical conditions etc. etc.

Take care of yourself and your band ok,, good luck newbies.

It makes me so sad when I read so many posts on this forum from folks who don't seem to have had the proper education (psychological) on the band. So many seem to think that weight will magically fall off, without any effort. You still have to diet, you still have to watch what you eat, you still have to exercise, you still have to eat healthy food, you still have to have willpower.

I see the benefit of the band as being nothing more than a tool that will help keep me honest - if for no other reason than it was a $17,000 investment. No donut will ever pass my lips again without me asking myself - "is this donut worth $17,000?"

Perhaps your doctor can recommend a dietician or councellor who can help you through the changes? Good luck to you.

Edited by Luscious

I had my surgery April 30th, and after 1 week I had first major hunger pain. If I only ate 3oz per meal, I'd be starving; and I'm way past mushies. I don't eat hard foods though. I'm like Baggio, I've never been nauseous or felt that food was stuck. But I could sure nibble all day if I let myself. These past 2 or 3 days I've been really bad. My two week doctor visit is the 19th and I go back to work. I think that will help to get busier. I'm working at home right now by myself, and I get a little more bored. My problem is I'm a carbaholic; breads, Pasta and all that. I need to get back on track. I'm glad you're all here for support.

Here is a link to an article about will power - in the magazine section of LBT.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f197/unraveling-myth-willpower-63089/#post839841

Hopefully it will help some of you just starting out.

This is a lifetime lifestyle change it is NOT a quick fix to your issues with food - your issues with food are mental for the most part a lot of work must be done in that department for any of us to be successful.

Skinny people get hungry too - my gosh hunger isn't going to kill you - it's not like you are never going to eat again - we aren't cavemen/women - we know where our next meal is coming from

I still have carbs/starches - but now in a limited quantity - I stay away from bread - eat brown rice - whole wheat Pasta - but now I eat 1/2 cup not 2 cups for dinner.

Give yourselves a calorie budget - then every time you eat you deduct your calories - I think this is a great learning tool - 1st for you to realize how many calories are in that tortilla or 1/2 cup of bean. and secondly you learn how to budget your treats into your diet occasionally.

Most days I rather eat a turkey burger for 200 calories that a candy bar that isn't going to fill me up or give me any nutritional value - candy sweets etc wasted calories. This isn't to say that I totally avoid these things but I can tell you I may indulge once every couple of months.

Again hunger isn't going to kill you but being obese is.

Hungry - find a distraction - look at your calorie budget - figure out what you can eat in order to take the edge off (a couple of strawberries - a few nuts - an extra serving of veggies) (ALWAYS FOLLOW YOUR DOC'S EATING PLAN AND NOT WHAT OTHERS HERE DO)

You all can succeed at this - Salsa & I reached our goals within a month or so of each other - she's 28 - I'm 53 - we both followed the rules - we both exercised - we both have made this a lifetime lifestyle change.

If we can do it - so can all of you - you just gotta get your mind in the game