Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is surgery in Mexico safe?

I live in Atlanta. I went to a seminar yesterday and the cost is $16,500. I'm self-pay, so this is NOT possible. I found Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana. He'll perform the surgery for $7900 (this will not include the fills I have to get in Atlanta). I've read excellent things about Dr. Ortiz. Apparently, he was on Oprah and has written a book regarding Lapbands. I've only seen good things about him...but of course...I'm still scared.

Any advice would be appreciated...thank you.

I also live in Atlanta. I have been banded by Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana, Mexico on Feb 26, 2008. If you have any questions, please private message me and I will be more than happy to help.

Hi Steph,

If you live in Atlanta and are considering Mexico, you should also consider Monterrey Mexico, which is much closer to you than Tijuana (Delta airlines has a 2.5 hour, non-stop flight from Atlanta to Monterrey.).

Dr. Roberto Rumbaut and Dr. Miguel Zapata are two excellent bariatric surgeons in Monterrey. I used Dr. Zapata and had a great experience. LapBand surgery in Mexico is indeed safe if you do your research and make sure you are using an excellent Dr..

Good luck with your decision! I am thrilled with the Lap Band -- it has exceeded all of my expectations by far.

Edited by Frangipani

Sorry I'm posting again but I just remembered a couple of other things I've read from people who've been banded in Mexico. One person said that when she got home she tried to find a place to do her fills and the dollar amount was so high that she couldn't afford them. She was considering having her band removed. Another person said that the doctors in here area wouldn't give her fills because her surgery was done in Mexico. Just a few things to think about...

Another thing to consider.... many if not all these doctors trained and learned their specialty in the US.

I have noticed that lapbanders that have insurance like to say bad things about going to Mexico. You would see a definate change of attitude if "they" were a self pay. Mexico starts to look pretty good.:blush:

I had surgery in Mexico. I went to Dr. Jose Rodriguez in Juarez, MX. I had a terrific experience! That hospital was spectacular and the care was far better than any I've had in the states. You fly into El Paso, TX so it's not that expensive to fly. Juarez is like 15 min across the border. As for Ortiz...I've heard great things about him as well. He was not on Oprah but his patients were. He has written a book as well. Mexico has been doing the band far longer than the US so many surgeons are more experienced and have trained US doctors. As long as you do your research well in picking a doc you'll be fine going to MX. Also fills will be your responsibility so find a doc that will work with Mexico patients before getting banded. My patient facilitator emailed me a list of all the docs that work with Mexico banded people a head of time so I could set up my after-care before hand. Fills for me cost $200. It is pricey but what can you do about it if your insurance won't pay???? If you have any other questions feel free to contact me. Hope this helps...:blush:

Edited by Kat225

I had my surgery in Mexico on Feb 29. I had no proplems and everyone was extremely nice. I just had my first fill done here in the states with no problem.

I too had surgery in Mexico with no problems. I choked at the US prices too and knew I could not afford it. Do you research and you will be fine. There are a lot of posts about Mexico surgeries. Wasabubblebutt has a thread on how to research Mexico doctors that has a lot of great information.

I'm from Atlanta as well and I will be flying to TJ on Wednesday and have surgery with Dr. Ortiz on Thursday, May 8. I'll let you know how it goes!

He is an excellent doctor and is a proctor for the maker of the Lap Band. He's trained many of the US doctors in the Lap Band!!

You can get your fills done in Roswell at Fill Centers USA, and from what I hear, they are wonderful there.

I found the same thing you did. Self pay in Atlanta was just way too much. With all the charges - surgeon, assistant, anesthesiologist, surgery room, etc. it would be over $24,000! That doesn't include all of the pre-op testing that has to be done and insurance won't pay for because it is part of the Lap-Band process!

Jena

hi steph, I had my surgery with Dr Ortiz 3/25 and had a great experience from the time we arrived till the time we left, I had no complaints at all, the weekend I was 1st home I got sick with the flu (so did my mom, we think we got sick on the plane) I emailed Dr O on Sunday am and had a response from him within an hour about my being sick and if I should be concerned about anything. You can't beat that, what doc's here in the US give out their email/ mobile numbers unless your dating them, I work as a nurse in a busy N-ICU and we are like the gatekeepers to the docs. I would go back to Dr. O and his staff in a second!! As for the follow up care and fills, I use fill centers usa, as they are in 30 locations throughout the country and as a travel nurse I can be secure in knowing that when i have to move for a new contract all my files will travel with me, that way I don't have to search around for a private practice that may or may not take on clients that were banded elsewhere.