Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is surgery in Mexico safe?

mnn2501, this board is not the place for ignorant statements, people are asking questions to make educated decisions based on the experience's of those that have gone before them, not for the scare statements disguised as "jokes"

I live in Atlanta. I went to a seminar yesterday and the cost is $16,500. I'm self-pay, so this is NOT possible. I found Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana. He'll perform the surgery for $7900 (this will not include the fills I have to get in Atlanta). I've read excellent things about Dr. Ortiz. Apparently, he was on Oprah and has written a book regarding Lapbands. I've only seen good things about him...but of course...I'm still scared.

Any advice would be appreciated...thank you.

Hi- I am having my surgery with Dr. Ortiz on May 27th.. He really is a great doctor in my opinion. :biggrin:

There are places in Mexico that surgery is VERY safe, there are also places, that it is not. Same can be said for the United States, and every other country doing it!

The key is to research! Research the surgery decide if it is for you. Research the surgeon, the facility the surgeon uses, speak with former patients.

When you make a choice, be proactive! Make arrangements for aftercare within a reasonable distance to you. The Fill Centers USA will fill Mexican banded patients. I have a licensed surgeon, who was going to do my surgery, and insurance was a mess, so I chose Mexicali, Mexico with Dr. Alberto Aceves, and the original stateside surgeon I chose is doing my aftercare. Many US surgeons were proctored by Mexican surgeons who have been doing this surgery longer. They do not all turn up their noses--you just have to make some calls, and visits, discuss openly why you are using another Dr. and set a plan before going off elsewhere to be banded,and then trying to find a Dr.

My surgeon in Mexico, and my followup care Dr. actually spoke prior to my surgery.

Are there risks? Yes of course, it is surgery, there will always be risks regardless of where you have it done. If you research and find a safe and reputable surgeon, those risks are minimalized. The biggest difference, and what enables them to do it at a lesser amount, is you do not have the same options if problems do arise, the Mexican surgeon is not covered with the same malpractice insurance you will find most in the US are. So recouping expenses if there is a problem could be difficult.

My experience was great, I continue to recommend my surgeon, as I had zero problems, and felt very secure in my decision. I did my homework before going, and had not only one plan in place, but also a secondary plan.

And as we all know, plans don't always fall into place! I went 2 years without issue--then gt a virus over Spring Break, and all of my aftercare arrangement Doctors, were out of town----all at once!!! I got through it without needing an unfill----but it was scary---I would never recommend going to Mexico or anywhere far away--------even across the US to another Dr----------without making emergency arrangements close to home. When you get sick, traveling that way is not sometimes an option.

Key to it all is research!!! Ask lots of questions! Get lots of answers! Make lots of plans!!

Make things as safe for yourself as possible--and go for it!

Kat

Had my insurance not covered my surgery, I would have considered Mexico. My husband was already looking into it for me when I found out it is covered at 100% for me.. There is always a catch and I didn't think it would really be approved..

Congrats to all that have gone to Mexico and had great success!!

Listen to Kat817. There are fantastic surgeons in Mexico, and there are horrible ones. My insurance would pay for my surgery in the US or in Mexico, and I chose to go to Mexico. However, if you do some research you will find some truly horrifying stories about surgery in Mexico. If you are careful who you pick for a surgeon, and be sure to work out where you can get fills afterwards, surgery in Mexico can be a great decision. Ignore that advice and it can be a nightmare.

I had to laugh at my SIL when we were in Mexico, she was deathly afraid of drinking the water-------but she was slurping down the Jello, and having her iced tea----or before surgery she had a Dr. Pepper, over ice. We let her go for awhile, then began razzing her about it!!! She looked so shocked!!!

The hospital, said they have a treatment thing for the Water, but they had all the bottled Water we could drink for us.

Kat

Hello,

I have been researching Mexico for several months and finally decided to go for it, given that I am self-pay. My surgeon is Dr. Miguel Zapata in Monterrey, Mexico and is one of the best in Mexico.

I really wrestled with this, but after months of research and after talking with a "band factory" here in the U.S. (where I felt like a number) I decided on Mexico.

Feel free to PM me with any questions. My surgery is a week from today!

Also, you will DEFINITELY want to read this wonderful reference article that a user on this forum created: "Research Mexican Lap-Band Doctors 101". You can find that article at:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f200/researching-mexican-lap-band-doctors-101-a-43575/

Good luck to you! :smile:

I have to agree with the person who said they were treated well from the moment they stepped off the plane.

Dr. Ortez could not be any more nicer and the entire staff are fantastic. There is a doctor on staff 24 hours a day. The rooms are like small hotel rooms! Sofa, chair, bed, cable tv. I was lucky and have no problem with gas. I made sure to take my gas-x strip before the surgery. Maybe that helped. My incisions are a little sore but not uncomfortable. Sort of like being bruised.

My step mom and I went shopping on Revolution St. today where all the vendors are. We had a great time and came home with lots of souvenirs.

I haven't been hungry today, I have had juice, Water & chicken broth & some tea.

Anyone thinking of seeing Dr. Ortiz, I've had a great experience down here. You are treated like a queen.

Jena

Not even the Water in Mexico is safe ---- lol

Such an annoying reply...

I have heard excellent things about Mexican surgeons, and all patients seem to be very happy with their results. I am having surgery on May 24th in Mexico, and have done extensive research. I found that the docs in Mexico have done MANY more surgeries than the surgeons I researched in Ohio. Also, my surgeon has lower rates of complications, and higher patient reviews than US docs. Just be prepared to educate all of your family and friends on this topic if you do indeed choose to have surgery in Mexico. People are afraid of what they are ignorant about, and they will make judgements about you and your choice (ie: the post above). Just do your research and make the best decision for yourself, and then stick with it! This is for you, and as long as you inform yourself and are happy with your decision, then thats all that matters!

Here is an interesting article about how more and more Americans are traveling to Mexico for their travel needs and AMERICAN hospitals are investing there:

Bloomberg.com: Special Report

You will be in good hands in Mexico! Just research and make sure your doctor is top notch. See my previous reply up-thread for link on researching Mexican doctors, courtesy of a wonderful bandster on this forum.