Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is tylenol 3 enough after surgery?

Just a real quick question. My surgery is 4/29 and my pre-op appointment my surgeon told me they give a script for T3 for after. Well what if thats not enough? Can I request something stronger? I had T3 for my wisdom teeth and I didn't really find them to helpful with the pain. I guess I just want to know can I take other stuff like percocet? Cause I really have a a bad pain tolerance. And is there something else I can request? Thanks for any help.

They gave me hydrocodon (sp?) but i didn't need it i had two shots of some kind of antiflamitory in the hospital but other then that i had no pain meds. I also have 0 pain tolerance.

I got some pain pills and took one, not because I was in pain but because I was afraid I would be. I never took another; didn't need them, and didn't like the loopy side effects.

Tell your doctor of your concerns with pain meds. He might give you a prescription for something stronger if the T3 doesn't work. Tylenol 3 makes me extremely naseauted so I for myself I would be asking for somthing different.

Definately talk with your surgeon about your concern. Everyone has a different pain tolerance.

I was given a script for Percocet. I took 1 tab 1 time and that was because I wanted to get a good nights sleep, not because I was in pain. I think most people find what pain there is post op pretty tolerable. I think the gas pain was much worse for me then anything else.

My doc gave me 2 types of pain pills, I took the one with the added stuff for the nausea. I took it because I was afraid I would have pain, but it really wasn't that bad. I have one untouched bottle of hydrocodone and half a bottle of the other. But I do have a slight tolerence for pain unless its stubbing my toe on something, then zero tolerence.

i never needed much pain meds either- i was banded 4/11. pain was minimal and tolerable. :thumbup: He gave me a rx for hydrocodon- never even filled it. Got liquid tylenol and had one dose. :lol:

Hello Alicia,

I was given liquid Lortab, also known as Vicoden, and I still have a full bottle of the meds left, I used maybe about 4 teaspoons and knowing everyone's pain tolerance and allergies to meds vary, I don't know if you may be allergic to any meds, but this 1 worked extremely well for me, and I was also given a Rx for a nausea med which I didn't have to use at all, I was banded March 31, 2008, by Dr.Brad Watkins and he was assisted by Dr. M. Arain 2 wonderful, caring surgeons in Oak Brook, Il. their Practice is called Synchrony Health, I can't rave enough about them and their staff all great professional people, and I wouldn't give my band up for the world :biggrin2:, Good luck and God bless.

The pain that I had was minimal. I agree with the post above, that the gas was the biggest pain. I was worried about much more pain than I actually had. The worst part of my entire surgical process was the 5 sticks it took to get the IV in for anesthesia.....grrrrrrr!!! I still have nasty bruises on my arms after 13 days :rolleyes:

I tried to avoid using too much serious pain medication. I took Tylenol but for some reason it doesnt do squat for me. Even if I just have a headache it has no affect. Liqui gel Advils used to knock out any pain but Tylenol must not agree with my system. I can't use Advil any more post surgery because it is too hard on the stomach . . . but I sure do miss it.

Pain was not too much of a problem around the incisions. However I had a lot of left shoulder pain that drove me crazy. The only real relief I got was from taking a bath (of course keeping the surgery site out of the Water. I just kept hot water at a low level so that I could soak my neck and shoulders.

The heavy hitter pain medications cause a lot of Constipation. I was hospitalized for 5 DAYS after my day surgery on my shoulder The pain meds caused severe impaction. NEVER want to go there again. That was WAY worse than the surgery. So now when I have surgery, I just tough it out when I get home. As it was the morphine I had immediately after surgery in the hospital caused 6 days of constipation. I was in tears when I called my surgeon. Milk of Magnesia did the trick that time, thank God, even though I was so careful. I just took Tylenol PM at night so I could sleep. The pain was minimal and I felt good. Not nearly as painful as rotator cuff surgery. I think you'll be surprised at how good you feel.

My doc told us to take 2 Advil every 4-6 hours the first few days and then gave me a liquid Vicodin RX. I never used the Vicodin. I was uncomfortable (not pain) the first day and very, very sore on days 4&5, but again, muscle soreness, not really pain.

Tomorrow is a week post-op and my port incision is sore if I use my abdominal muscles too much, but I'm generally ok.