Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded on the 16th and feeling blue

I just had to tell someone else. I was banded on April 16th. I am just now starting to feel a bit better. It was more pain than I thought I would have. So that bummed me out. I thought I would be able to pick up the next day and go back to work without anyone knowing. But, I had to break down and tell my kids that I needed the extra help around the house. I didn't want to tell them because I didn't want them to think of me as a failure. But, now I do because I do need some help right now. I wish I felt better. I was out and about running errands today to help get my mind off things but still the feelings are still there. I will try to keep my chin up and keep reading all of the success stories. Those cheer me up and give me hope.:cry_smile:

Hang in there it will get better, just think of all th enew clothes you will be able to buy and how good your going to feel :cry_smile:

Must be the date.. I was banded 4/16 of last year, and I thought the surgery was a million times more painful than I imagined. then I pulled a muscle and ended up in the ER thinking I had a blood clot from the pain. But, here I am a year later and lovin' my band. Don't worry, everything you're going through right now will soon be a distant memory :cry_smile:)

It was more pain than I thought I would have. So that bummed me out. I thought I would be able to pick up the next day and go back to work without anyone knowing. But, I had to break down and tell my kids that I needed the extra help around the house. I didn't want to tell them because I didn't want them to think of me as a failure. But, now I do because I do need some help right now.

Ok...please take this with all the kindness I mean, but, girl....you just had SURGERY! It's OK to need help. You shouldn't have to be a super hero in all of this. I realize we women tend to feel this way about things, but I got some great advice years ago...."Don't beat yourself up with the yardstick you're measuring yourself with." Allow yourself time to heal and learn the process of all this. Lots of changes are going to happen through this process and allowing yourself to be imperfect and make mistakes will make it a more joyful journey instead of something that seems like little bouts of failure. Chin up girl!! :cry_smile: You're in band land now.

Annette

*hugs* Don't be too hard on yourself! It might not be open-heart surgery, but you still had surgery. You're body is healing and needs to rest to get better. I felt lazy not doing anything around the house and my roomie doing everything, so I did a sink full of dishes on like my 3rd or 4th day home and I was spent after that. My back hurt because it was painful to stand up straight because of the incisions, my stomach hurt from standing for so long, and I was just exhausted. Let the people who love and care about you help you while you're healing. You'll feel better soon!

You will feel better soon. Some people can feel quite blue after having a GA for surgery.

Its a shame that your medical professionals didn't seem to prepare you enough for what to expect after surgery.

Chin up.

You will feel better soon. Some people can feel quite blue after having a GA for surgery.

Its a shame that your medical professionals didn't seem to prepare you enough for what to expect after surgery.

Chin up.

Rebecca, don't despair. Luscious is right, your "blues" could very well be due to the anesthesia. I have had a few surgeries for various things through the years and I have a reaction like this every single time to general anesthesia. The first time it happened it worried me and everyone around me because it caused an abrupt change in my personality, but I was back to normal within a week.

Drink as much Water as you can to help flush those powerful drugs out of your system, and if it at all possible, do some light exercise, like walking.

Congrats on being banded!!! This Band is an amazing thing and trust me, it won't be long before you too will be a success story!

:cry_smile::smile::crying:

flower-pot.jpg

Crazy Ates April Exercise Challenge

17/30 Exercise Sessions

(10 Cardio, 6 Core Strength and Flexibility, 1 Weight Training)

weight.png

Banded 8/07/07 Dr. Miguel Zapata, Monterrey Mexico

Edited by Frangipani

It was banded on the 16th too. The pain is much more than I thought also. I even had to get sutures the next day because my skin glue didn't hold.I've been moving slow too. You have to remember that they moved alot of things around in there,( moving the liver, putting in the port and the pouch), so things may take alittle while to heal. But don't get discouraged, just think next week, we should be better. Glad to know I'm not the only one. I thought I was going to bounce back right away. But I'm dealing with gas pain on the left, and soreness on the right, and trying to decide if I feel hunger pain. Keep your head up!!! Keep me posted!!!! And congratulations, we have the same new" birthday".

Hiya, I was you up until about three days ago, having been banded on the 10th of April. The pain was MUCH worse than I was expecting, I had said I'd probably be at a party that night, so don't feel silly. More people then you know felt like that. The general anesthetic also knocked me for six. I was crying every day for about 5 days- a complete personality turnaround for me. I felt like I'd already failed- but I realise now that I just needed to get the drugs out of me. Drink lots of Water and don't feel you have to hide the fact you're not 100% yet. Just take your time, go slow and before you know it you'll be racing to the gym ( I am about to go :cry_smile:) feeling brilliant about yourself, and I'm only 9 days post op AND I havn't weighed in. You just wait, you'll be feeling fantastic in no time.

Thank you all for the support. I do feel much better today. I got a good nights sleep. Still a bit sore but I will just keep plunking away. You all are so kind, I really appreciate this.

Thanks!!

Rebecca,

I had my band put in on the 16th too!! I cannot belive that I am so uncomfortable!! The pain is worse than I thought it would be but you know what?! I have already lost 4 pounds and that makes me feel much better. I am sure that you will be feeling wonderful and then you can truly start of your new life.

I have had all that everyone has stated. Righ now I am dealing with the gas and the escape of it. *giggle* that is kind of funny but not really all that pleasant. My back is feeling better now and I am able to get to my computer and do a little writing.

Let the others in your family help you. They are just showing you just how much they care about you.

Take care,

Nancy :biggrin:

Hi, I was banded on the 14th and the gas pains were more painful that I had anticipated and I was so uncomfortable. However, my husband took off for a week to help me out, it was hard not trying to help him out. This was surgery and I am glad he was there to help. Get some rest and help, walk too, but nothing extereme. You will be much better in a couple days. I have lost 10lbs since Monday.

Edited by LLPlady3

I was banded on the 14th. I too have had the "what have I done" thoughts and horrible gas pain.

Right now I have this "lump" in my throat like I've swallowed a pill wrong and it won't go down. Anyone else have this? Love to hear anyones thoughts on lower abdomen pain too...I am healing well at all the inscision sites but have a sharp pain right above my left hipbone in the muscle everytime I move.

I was banded on Friday. I never handle anesthesia well, so day 1 was pretty brutal. Yesterday was better in terms of the post-anesthesia effects, but the soreness started to set in. Getting up and walking around does help. The process of getting up and back down is not so simple and I'm sure is funny to watch, since I feel like a turtle trying to flip myself back over. Today even better. Still sore and not doing too much, but plan on going back to work tomorrow. Hope you start feeling better soon!!!