Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OT: Help, my Jade plant is dying..

Aren't these plants really difficult to kill? Leave it to me. So, all you green thumbs out there, what do I do with this pitiful thing? I'd like to put it in a prettier pot (obviously) but do I replant the whole ugly thing? or do I cut off what's left of the good stuff before it dies, too? Does this pic even give you a clue about what can be done? I am at a loss, and I'm about to trash the thing, but when it's pretty...well, it's a beautiful plant! I had it indoors, but it was falling apart and I stuck it on the deck rail during a misty rain, watered it slightly, and, well, here it is...help!!

post-204312-13813131759993_thumb.jpg

Where did you have the plant in your house? What kind of sunlight was it getting? How much had you been watering it? Is this kept in indoor conditions? (ie is it on a porch that is not heated for the winter?)

They do not require a lot of watering at all as they are a succulant plant (they store their water). The soil should nearly be completely dry before watering again. As for sunlight, more than 8 hours of direct light each day is too much. Try pulling it back from time to time to give it a "rest". But this does not look like your problem. It looks over watered. If the branches are more "rubbery" and break off easy then you have overwatered. Try to make cuttings from the upper stems that are still sound and firm. In the future, avoid overwatering in winter and cover the soil surface with a layer of sand or gravel. Watering should be MONTHLY or BI MONTHLY not weekly or daily.

You may have stem rot already and if so, the plant is a bit lost to "plant heaven". You can try cutting off a good stem and replanting it, but I think it looks more savable. Some good ol fashioned TLC would do this plant some good!

Okay, wow, thanks. Everything you said sounds exactly right. Although i have tried to be careful not to overwater...guess i did anyway. In the winter I keep it indoors in the dining area, in front of the glass french doors to the deck. It doesn't like it there but it's too cold at night here (NC) when it gets down into the low 40s, high 30s in the early Spring, but now it's great and it will love it outside all summer. The porch is not heated, it's covered but outside and gets part shade part direct sunlight during the day. It does not get more htan 8 hours direct sunlight.

You can't see it in the pic, but all of the new budding leaves just shriveled up and dried and I brushed them off and they fell all over the place. Stem Rot is a very good description, I think that's it.

So, how do I cut off the savable stems and get them to root? There is some new growth coming up from stems that fell off? or did I break them off?, they had tiny white roots on them so I just stuck them down in the soil and they are taking off.

My plan, please check: fresh soil in a pretty glazed ceramic pot with a hole (the plate/base is broken but I have that plastic thing for the bottom) and replant the cuttings (however you tell me to do that) and once I get the thing going and all the leaves are up out of the soil, I'll add some gravel to the top layer over the soil.

Should I mist it? How often?

Wow, thanks Princess. I'm such a plant idiot, I KNEW someone here could help!

Cut them at an angle with a clean cut. The removed stems or leaves can be left out for the ends to dry for a day or two, then place the ends in a pot with potting soil (not just dirt from the ground) that you've mixed in very little sand, then put some sand or gravel on top in a VERY thin layer. Plant the cutting an inch or two deep and give it VERY little Water until it roots. The plant can not take drops in temps of under 50 degrees F. So if it was on your unheated porch, this might be it too. But as I said before, it looks like over watering to me. Make sure you take off any "dead" leaves regularly. The pot sounds fine but make sure you never have a "resovoir" of water in the pot shield underneath, that is bad for the plant. Jade plants are watered monthly or bi monthly are are not misted. You can take a damp cloth and dust them though just don't use any cleaning products. You can also "pinch" the stems and leaves lightly and gently to promote them growing a bit (not too hard!).

Okay, today is the day my little dead jade gets a new chance at life and a new pot...although I forgot I had planted something else in the pot I had in mind...I'll dig up something, anyway, I'm calling DH to bring home some sand, I have the potting soil, I'll get the pot ready today and cut the poor thing to pieces and let the ends dry for a few days before I replant. I will post a pic when I have it all reassembled.

This is a great distraction from the pre-surgery jitters...as if my life doesn't have any distractions, right? And I love my new little camera phone, this has been a good investment (under 30 bucks! plus an additional 5.99 a month for the picture package where I can email pics to myself and other features)

Thanks a bunch Jenna, you are a DOLL! I'll keep you posted.

Kathy, I like how you are keeping your self busy! I sure wish I had your distraction instead of mine -- I had to worry about my pre-calculus test! (I have to get a "B" in the class...)

Good luck with your plant. I didn't bring any to exile with me... no place to store them over the summer. Luckily my Spudboy's girlfriend has been taking care of my houseplants at home--the ones that didn't die the first year anyway :)

Oh my gosh Crystal, calculus?!!! okay PRE-calculus, whatever, I prefer jades. Thanks for the perspecive.

Okay I have dismembered the poor jade and this is what it looks like on an old towel on my kitchen counter...some of the little stems have tiny roots, should I go ahead and plant those? Not much chance of rot left there. What I THINK happens is, as I let the stems sit there, they will beging to magically sprout tiny roots and then I plant them, right?

BIG SIGH I always root for the underdog. It's the bane of my co-dependant nature, pick things as needy as possible and actually CHOOSE to care for them, then resent it. Plants better than people, I guess. I really have come a long way.

Here it is, and don't laugh.

post-204312-13813131760239_thumb.jpg

those look fine kathy! Just give them a day then plant them (some may try and sprout, they may not) Don't Water them right away and let them root. The Jade plant is probably the most hearty and "hard to kill" plant next to the cactus. I don't know if that makes you feel any better lol but I think it will bounce back. If anything else, the Jade is not very expensive and you can take your experiences and start anew. I have killed MANY a plant and learned from it! My first vegetable garden was a DISASTER! Plus, I live in Arizona and have to deal with all other kinds of issues like heat, sun, watering, our soil, bugs, etc.

No worries, it will all work out.

Okay, thanks so much, I'll post a pic when I get it all planted back and we'll see how it goes. I hope it makes it, and if it doesn't, I'm definately NOT starting over. No more plants...I don't suppose you'd be surprised to find out this is not my only problem plant. I have an Orchid in my bathroom (steamy) and some other plants I have no idea what they are...when I get a second wind on houseplants, I know where to come! Thanks!!!

Try naming them and "talking" to them. I know its an old wives tale but I think it actually works! I swear that some of mine knew I was mad at them and just gave up!

Kathy, let me see the replanted pictures!! ;) I seem to have a big interest in the prosperity of this plant. I swear if it doesn't get better I am going to have you send it to me COD and I will send it back when it gets well again. ha ha

Okay, let me go find the pic... and it's a little worse now than it looked even that day. Some of the litte leaves aren't making it but the big ones are, and are sprouting! Like I said, I had to bring it inside due to very chilly and rainy weather here, and it hates it indoors. You know, my little Jade may just prefer Arizona, ya know? If you need to rescue it, I will gladly ship it, you let me know.

post-204312-13813131769167_thumb.jpg

Is that a Jade plant? I have always called those rubber plants

Those thing can grow again just by re cutting a piece off and sticking it in a pot. I have them all over my backyard. I have a really large one and when it gets to big I just cut it down and put the pieces in other pots around my yard.

Now I really feel like a moron, how can others just throw these things around and they pop up and thrive?!!!! I am a terrible Jade caretaker. This plant was given to me by my hubby's niece, and it was such a nice gift from a young lady with 2 young children, no money, and a husband headed for Iraq at the time (he has since gone and come home safely) that I hate to just give up on the poor thing. I'm really thinking it would like Arizona better...whadya think Princess? I would be happy just to see a picture of it every once in a while and just know it's in a happier home. Or you, Michelle, you could just throw it in your backyard and make it grow...lol!