Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things I won't/don't miss about being Obese

* Having to ask for a table in restaurants because I can't fit in a booth, even though booths are much more comfy.

OMG today I went to a mexican restaurant today. I think if I had weighed 2 more lbs, I wouldn't have been able to fit. It was awful. :)

This is the best thread yet!!

I won't miss:

Thighs rubbing together

Asking for a seat belt extension on airplanes

Grandma bathing suits

Buying clothes only at Lane Bryant or Avenue

Only being able to wear certain shoes because my feet are too swollen

Not taking my dogs for walks like I should cause I'm too tired

Fat sex!

Being afraid to sleep over or let anyone sleep here because of my snoring

Feeling like a Queen size bed is too small for two people

Standing around cause only the plastic lawn chairs are left

Being completely ignored by good looking men

Meeting men who only like fat chicks in private and won't go anywhere

The "you have such a pretty face" comments

Avoiding camera's like the plague

Being the fat friend

Not wanting to go places because your sick of the "looks"

Getting everything to go so no one will see you eat even when it's a salad

Jeans that are too tight

Buying ugly bra's and panties

Not being able to keep up with my thin friends when we do things

Not being invited to do things because they know i can't keep up

Not being able to paint my own toe nails

The list could go on and on!

I think this is a great thread, it motivates me b/c I hate going out with all of my super thin friends that eat only salads when we go out. God, I am the Designated Ugly Fat Friend in the group. I hate taking pics, because of course they are always snapping photos out at the bars. And I always have to stand at the end, or sit funny in a bar stool., or on the end at a restaurant. Geez I can't wait to start my new life. I am so pissed I let i get this far to begin with.

I will not miss:

Thighs rubbing and the awkard move to unstick my pants:scared2:

Not being able to tie my shoes without an act of Congress:thumbup:

Having to shop at only Lane Bryant or the "plus " section that is only two racks!:):mad:

Paying more for my panties vs the stick think girls

Not being able to cross my legs when I wear a dress

Being the nice,cute but fat girl:frown:;)

I could keep this list going on and on.....

Southerngirl: "Not being able to tie my shoes without an act of Congress"

I hear you there --- my shoelaces ALWAYS seem to come open when I go for walks - and I'd look for something to prop my foot up to retie.

NSV noted last week: I can bend over and tie my shoe now, without feeling like I'm going to pass out! :-)

Thats how I feel, pissed that I let myself get this fat. I got a scholarship to college for Baseball, graduated and have kids now. I just can't stand the fact that I let my body get ruined like this. Gross

1. Not being able to ride the Scrambler with my neice because: 1. I couldn't pull myself up into the car, 2. I couldn't fit in the car once I got up there

2. Having to hide my body behind someone else in group pictures.

3. My Grandpa calling me his "plumpie".

4. People assuming I'm pregnant and asking me when I'm due.

5. My well-meaning mother calling to tell me about different diets she just read about.

6. Hating summer because I can't wear little sundresses or regular swimsuits like my friends.

7. Having to ask my older, skinny sister to paint my toenails for me

8. Not having sex for 28 years (even though I've been in love) because I never wanted anyone to see any part of my body.

Edited by awagonseller
though of something to add

Things I will NOT miss:

1) Having to always wear shirts that hide my fat stomach -- can't wait to wear my shirt tucked in!

2) Being a FAT Mom

3) Not having energy to play / run / dance with my kids

4) Having skinny girls look at me as if being fat were contagious

5) Sitting at my desk with my pants unbuttoned because they're too tight and uncomfortable when I sit down

6) My mother's disapproving looks

7) Staying at home because I am uncomfortable and self-conscious

8) Having men avoid talking to me because they don't want to be seen talking to a "fat girl"

9) Not being comfortable enough with my body to wear sexy lingerie for my husband

Things I wont miss:

not wearing white

struggling to get dressed

not recognizing the fat person (me) in the window reflections

not going to the beach or pool

people staring

not having sex

wearing the same clothes (that all that fits)

being tremendously hot in summer wearing clothes that cover my fat

my double chin

huge breasts that suffocate

wearing two bras

underwear that cuts into the skin

the list is endless

Sometimes I think it's too good to be true.

Could it be that it really works?

This is unrelated to this thread - I see you had a realize band - do you know what is the difference between realize and lapband? I am thinking about doing this surgery - I read somewhere that the realize band has different fill system and sometimes causes problems. Have you had any problems?

Moriah said:

"Sometimes I think it's too good to be true.

Could it be that it really works?"

YES!!!

It CAN! :-)

I know- I thought the SAME thing...this might work for other people, but ME? Nothing has ever worked for me, why would this be any different?

Well, let me tell you, it ain't an easy way out...you will have to 'diet' and increase your exercise (which is a lot easier when you weigh less!). Depending on how engaged you are in the process, the weight loss will be faster or slower - BUT - I've NEVER lost 100+ pounds before. I am optomistic that I will see this out to the end - my goal or close to it, and keep it off forever. Before the band, I couldn't stay on a diet that long. I'd feel deprived and starving, and the amount to loose was overwhelming. So, I'd give up and gain it all back - plus more!

I am off ALL my diabetes meds, cholesterol med, and only 1/2 a BP pill. My blood sugar today was 83! I feel great! AND I don't miss eating - sure, sometimes I wrestle with wanting a chocolate bar or a cookie - and sometime I have it. But I'm still able to stay on track, because the hunger is controllable now.

There's nothing mysterious about how it works, really. The band just limits how much you can comfortably eat. You feel full sooner. So then, you can use this physical/mechanical restriction to diet - I try to keep my daily calories to 900-1200. If I go over, I don't loose weight. I also walk 30 - 60 minutes a day, and try to do more things around the house and at work - like walking up stairs. It's not rocket science. Really, it's just like the old way of dieting - but this tool makes it easier!

Re: Realize vs AP LapBand. I have the AP Lab band. There was a thread on this site blasting the Realize band by somebody who claimed to be a expert or something, a few months ago. I believe the argument was that the one continuous balloon design of the Realize band theoretically could break down because the edges fold over when circular touch each other and could breakdown. The AP LapBand has little balloon pouches all around the band, so you don't have the balloon folding over each other. Does that makes sense? (Check their web sites for pictures.) I don't know that here is any evidence of statistical importance of the design differences. (If somebody knows, feel free to chime in!) My surgeon explained that the Realize band doesn't have a connection in the tube - that on rare occassion (he's had one case) the AP LapBand tubing connector might come apart. Also, the Lap Band port is smaller in diameter but taller, which the Realize is wider and flatter. There are different suturing/fixation methods for each, making it a bit easier or quicker for the surgeon. Also, I think the Realize is supposed to be a little lower pressure, although I think the AP might be the same now?? (not sure). But all in all, he didn't recommend one over the other, and left the decision to me. The realize band apparently has a cool web page for tracking weight loss that your dr's office can view if you chooose? The AP Lap Band doesn't have much (my opinion)

In the end, I had the AP LapBand because I'm a data person, and there was more of a track record on the AP design here in the US.

Talk with your surgeon. Frankly, I don't know that it makes any difference...but there are a lot of opinions out there, and people that know much more than me!!!

GOOD LUCK! If you follow the instrutions you will get, follow the diet guidelines, and bump up your exercise, YOU can be writing this thread in a few months after your band! YES, YOU!!! :-)

Hey Lizalee,

Wow, thank you so much for answering. I can't believe how much you have lost it's incredible, congratulations!! Thank you for your information about the realize band - it was very helpful and now I will have what to ask my internist.

All the things you have said are things that I hoped were true. In believing that this dramatic and extreme step is good, I've been telling myself that its just like going on a diet but without the hunger - that it's a tool to help lose the weight and keep it off.

The keeping it off is my concern. I've been on diets before and lost and I was so happy, then little by little I gave in and returned to my bad habits, telling myself - just one little bite wont hurt bla bla - I always gained back the weight and more.

Other things I wont miss:

waddling:frown:

knocking things over while walking in the house:eek:

accidentally running into my kids and knocking them on the floor:blushing:

chubby cheeks:embaressed_smile:

not being able to wear my wedding ring:sad_smile:

sore feet:cursing:

Thank you for your supporting words, they give me confidence that I am doing the right thing for my health and for my family.

Keep strong and keep losing.:biggrin:

I'd like to add taking showers to mine.

I really, really want to use my tub, but I'm so afraid of getting in and not being able to get out!!

I want a bubble bath, damnit! :smile2:

This is by far the best thread I've seen so far on this site.

I won't miss:

Being out of breath and sweating just trying to get dressed in the morning.

Thighs rubbing together...rubbing holes in pants.

Wearing the same 2 pair of pants to work every week because they're the only ones that still fit.

Having food on my chest all the time (they do catch everything)

My back hurting so bad I can't walk to the other end of the building at work.

Avoiding friends and family that I haven't seen in a while so that I don't get that look of shock.

Shopping in plus size stores and still not finding anything that looks good!

Being out of breath and sweating just from walking from the car.

I could go on and on with this!!

This has been great! So many I can relate to!

I won't miss:

*Thighs rubbing together

*Sweating in the winter

*Back pain & foot pain (not wanting to stand)

*Feeling sorry for the really fat woman in the photo, then realizing it is me! :lost1lbs:

*When my friends introduce me to guys and they literally are looking over my shoulder for someone else to talk to like saying hi will kill them!

*Being everyone's fat friend and a "buddy" to all the guys

*Being squeezed into any kind of chair.

*ALWAYS feeling self-conscious

*Eating and binging at home so no one sees how much I really eat

*Feeling judged when I'm in "skinny" stores with my friends and pretending I'm really into their purse selection!

Looking forward to:

*Being able to wrap a normal size towel around myself after a shower not a beach towel! :thumbs_up:

*Actually wanting to exercise! (I hear it happens!)

*Wearing jeans as my comfortable clothes and not stretch/sweat pants

*Generally being happy and healthier!:thumbup: