Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things I won't/don't miss about being Obese

I will NOT miss:

• Seeing my reflection and being floored that I am really "that big"
  • Sitting in the passenger seat of small cars like a stuffed hippo, trying to be cool and buckle my seat belt but my stomach is too huge.
  • Wearing old lady professional clothes (I am 33!!)
  • Spending thousands and thousands of dollars on on-line shopping because I can't even wear Lane Bryant.
  • Shopping at 'Catherine's' (old lady tent and awning store)
  • Never ever being able to shoe shop because my feet are so swollen and large.
  • Not being able to fit into restaurant booths.
  • Hating sex 'cause it freaking hurts my gut.
  • Organizing everything in my life around me being able to eat a meal.
  • Having my career affected.
  • Not seeing old friends
  • Not going to Water parks
  • Not biking
  • Not camping
  • Not fitting into my tub or being able to get out..

This list could go on forever!:angry:

I won't miss:

Not being able to ride roller coasters

Waiting for someone big to come down on the Water slide so I can feel comfortable

Being a house bum cause I don't have the energy to do anything

Being a house bum cause I don't have anything to wear

My hips being uncomfortable in movie seats

Fat jokes

Or making jokes about myself before someone has the chance too

Hearing: Your pretty....FOR A BIG GIRL

Passing by old friends but not saying anything cause they didn't recognize you.

Hating when they do recognize you!!!!

this is a great thread...

- feeling like I'm going to die when I bend over to tie my sneakers

- the look in people's faces who haven't seen me since high school when I was a freakin 115 lb majorette

- squeezing into restaurant booths

- wearing a gigantic bra that hurts, binds and rolls

- huge stomach, arms, thighs and double chin

- running from cameras, mirrors, and reflective windows

- men never really looking at me

- being treated like a second-class citizen in department stores

- being winded going up stairs

- being tired all the time

- hurting knees, back, hips

- snoring

:thumbup:

I will not miss:

-being limited to neon colors like lime green & orange for bellydance attire because apparently that's what I'm suppose to look good in as a fat chick (actually I need jewel tones)

-Not being able to attend a home clothing party because they only go up to XL.

This is awesome, love the thread.

I will not miss, as mentioned before, LANE BRYANT. For one, their clothes are crap. Nice style, but don't last long.

Listening to people talk about me or at least being paranoid that they are. And by talking about me, Im meaning my fat.

I will not miss being embarrassed by having to get off an amusment park ride, in front of others cause my boobs are way too big, from being fat. or the seat is too small.

I wont miss, being ashamed of myself naked.

I wont miss, being ashamed to go swimming.

I wont miss cottage cheese everywhere, and stretch marks.

I wont miss the expense to cater to all my uncontrollable cravings.

I wont miss my sleep apnea.

I wont my my high cholesterol or high triglycerides.

I wont miss having no energy to play with my daughter.

I will be happier that I will live longer to be with her.

I wont miss putting on jeans and wondering if Im going to make it all day cause they are too tight.

I wont miss, laying out of work, cause I got sick a week later from being sick. In other words staying sick all the time, or not feeling well.

I wont miss being hot all the time, especially when trying to sleep.< /p>

I wont miss trying to bend and something pulls or goes out.

There is probably more to this I will write again when I can think of it.

In general.. I just wont miss the FAT. :thumbup:

I won't miss a lot of things! Like.....

*Wanting to go somewhere with friends but deciding to stay home because you don't want to be seen in public.

*Avoiding any kind of sporting activity that doesn't have bleacher seating.

*Excitedly looking at pictures from an event and coming across one of myself that is just grotesque!

* And all of the other things everyone else stated as well!

-People who treated me differently because I am fat (I plan to ignore them even after I lose, because I will still be the same inside)

-Not swimming

-My husband trying to act like he doesn't care that I'm fat when I know that he does (by the way, he's 40 lbs overweight)

-My sister talking about fat people when we're together as if she doesn't think I'm fat.

-Feeling out of control

-Shopping for fat clothes

_Legs hurting

-Feeling sad

This Such a Good Topic

i wont miss

not wanting to look at me

not going any where because not liking me and thinking people are looking at me .

staying in the house all the time

not whearing cute clothes

the most IMPORTANT THINK IS NOT LIKING ME

I had my lap band put on on june 2 2008 and i feel great and i cant wait to see the old me i use to like and love and have so much fun

i cant wait to feel good enough to play out side with my grand daughter

I **WON'T** MISS :incazzato::

1. Gaining ten pounds a year

2. Giving up even trying to lose weight. It always comes back, plus some

3. Giving up so many outdoor activities that I love (skiing, backpacking, snorkeling, hiking, long walks with my dear husband, bike riding, ...)

4. Wearing same clothes that are so tight that I look like a stuffed sausage, but I'll be darned if I'm going up YET another size

5. Underwear that feel like thongs, but aren't

6. Feeling great about my hair and makeup, and then looking in a full length mirror and feeling like crap

7. Having a husband that loves and supports me regardless of my size, and feeling like I'm letting him down

8. Living in fear that airlines are going to start charging passengers by the pound

9. Not going in for routine physicals before I'm so embarrassed to be weighed

Thanks for starting this thread! This is so cathartic. I'm still in the first stage of exploring the banding option, and this is helping me immensely.

I read every single word in this thread and I love it. It's so nice to know I am NOT alone. I kept on saying to myself, "oh! oh! That's totally me!" and then sometimes saying, "Oh gosh, I forgot about that!"

I will not miss everything that was said before me. But I finally thought of some "original" ones:

• I will not miss always touching a wall, chair, or cubicle wall while standing and talking with someone because it's too tiring to hold all of my own weight by myself.
  • I will not miss not being able to ride a horse/mule at Yosemite National Park because I weigh too much.
  • I will not miss having cramps in my mid upper back because of the way I hold myself.
  • I will not miss my clothes taking up so much space in a suitcase.
  • I will not miss sweating so much on my head/under my hair.
  • I will not miss having to walk at an angle through the skinny aisle on the upper story of the train I take to work.
  • I will not miss having to wear my work badge and pedometer on my pants pockets instead of my waist because of my jelly roll... and then having to wear them hanging from a shirt when I wear pants that have no pockets.
  • I will not miss always having to leave shirts untucked.
  • I will not miss feeling like I can't cut my hair into a cute short style because it would be out of proportion with my body.
  • I will not miss not being able to shop in the tall sizes in catalogs!
  • I will not miss plantar fasciitis.

Wow, that was going to be a list of one at first! It's amazing how much more I thought of once I started writing.

I totally agree about the badge!!! I switched to a clip so that it would attach to my pocket! And lord knows I can't look down to see if it's attaching so I have to feel around with just my right hand to make sure it attached.

I'm also right there with you about the under hair sweat. I would NEVER cut my hair short!

re: touching something to hold yourself up - do you ever feel a pinch in your back while you're standing for a while and realize that one leg is going numb? j/w

There's one I haven't seen yet - plotting your path through tight restaurant tables. Having to squeeze through is mortifying!

The worst to me is the airplane seats tho - soooo embarrassing. My brother is in Australia right now but I knew there was no way I could make a 14 hour flight in those horrid seats!

Oh, and having to move the table in a booth - annoying.

We will get there!!!

- tiny symphony seats

- hot ALL the time

- depression and bored eating

- double chin meeting the boobs - they shouldn't be such 'close' friends!

Edited by SickNTired

I can relate to so many of the things already posted. Here are some other things:

*Taking up two seat positions on the subway

*Having to turn sideways to fit through the subway turnstile

*Neck fat (my neck is not fat – it’s actually long – think kimora lee simmons)

*Feeling trapped in my current job because no one will hire me at this weight.

*Being 1 of 2 fat people in an office of at least 25 very attractive women

travelling with my thinner sister on a plane and having her book my seat on some other row rather than sit next to her.

Guest Leslie2Lose

I'm only 34 pounds down, but ran across this thread today and thought I'd update things - I'm now two months post-op:

I won't miss:

Rolling out of bed - instead of hopping out (done)

Lane Bryant - (went from 22/24 to 14/16)

Elastic Bands

My Two Spare Tires (Only one spare tire now)

Being out of breath just to tie my shoes (I can reach now!)

Being tired ALL of the time (I'm still tired, but now from working out - but feel 200% better)

Sore Knees & Back (I can walk stairs now without hurting)

Those "Judgemental" looks - especially at restaurants. Fat people have to eat too! (Haven't noticed any lately)

Pulling myself out of my car instead of gracefully stepping out (Still have an issue in heels - hopefully soon though that'll be ellimated)

Among Others...

There is hope! I never dreamed these could be resolved in two months, here's more I'm looking forward to:

Weighing under 200 pounds

Crossing my legs - completely (not just half way)

Being able to jog

Not wearing plus size clothing

Doing a lap in the pool (olympic size) without stopping to catch my breath

Wearing sexy clothes

Having fun sex without feeling self-conscious (with the lights on!)