Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very specific question for those with pcos and a total hysterectomy....

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy and am now on HRT (literally the first time since I was 15 that I've had my hormones regulated at all). My uterus, 3 huge uterine fibroids, both ovaries, both fallopian tubes, and cervix combines weighed 4 pounds when they were removed. I weighed 212 on surgery day on May 7th. After I lost the Water weight from 3 days of IVs, I was 208, which I expected. I was started on estrogen in the hospital. So here I am, 18 days post op, and I have lost 13 pounds. I walk 3-4 times every day, I eat normally, I rest a lot. I take my normal MS and Lupus meds and my normal supplements. The only difference is I had the hysterectomy and I'm on HRT.

I'm noticing that I seem to be having a much easier time losing weight. It's almost like it was when I first had my bariatric surgery. I haven't lost weight like this in over a year. So here's what I'm wondering.... since pcos is known for causing weight gain and not allowing weight loss, and since my hormones are finally regulating with the HRT, and since I no longer have any issues with fibroids, cysts, horrible periods, etc... could the hysterectomy have maybe corrected a lot of the pcos issues and now the stuff slowing and stopping my weight loss is gone and I'm back to losing again? Did having the hysterectomy actually help with weight loss?

I know a hysterectomy isn't a cure for pcos, but I'm really wondering if the combination of the HRT and hysterectomy are working together with my WLS to actually give me normal, proper results? Has anyone else experienced this, or know someone who has?

I have no medical or other wize knowledge to affirm your thoughts or not but I do think it would make sense from a logical point of view.

I did a quick google, here are some things you could read

https://menopausecare.co.uk/can-hrt-help-to-lose-weight-does-hrt-make-you-gain-weight/#:~:text=Many women actually find that,regime to minimise this impact.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10515671/

https://www.nirvahealth.com/blog/woman-guide-losing-weight-post-hysterectomy

Love the new profile picture!

2 hours ago, BlueParis said:

I have no medical or other wize knowledge to affirm your thoughts or not but I do think it would make sense from a logical point of view.

I did a quick google, here are some things you could read

https://menopausecare.co.uk/can-hrt-help-to-lose-weight-does-hrt-make-you-gain-weight/#:~:text=Many women actually find that,regime to minimise this impact.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10515671/

https://www.nirvahealth.com/blog/woman-guide-losing-weight-post-hysterectomy

Love the new profile picture!

Thank you for the links and thank you for the compliment!!! :)

On 5/25/2024 at 4:46 AM, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

I know a hysterectomy isn't a cure for pcos,

According to my physician, if the ovaries are removed it is. PCOS is a hormonal issue caused by the ovaries. Once the ovaries are removed (in my case 13 years after my hysterectomy) the issues are resolved. (There was a lot more detail I don't remember as it's been a couple of years but I had asked her about PCOS in my physical and she said no ovaries no PCOS.)

Hormones do play a large part in our weight - from grehlin in the stomach to stress hormones. Any HRT is going to have an effect on our weight loss journey as it helps regulate the hormones.

It sounds like the combination has put your body on the path to health again!

13 minutes ago, WanderingLass said:

According to my physician, if the ovaries are removed it is. PCOS is a hormonal issue caused by the ovaries. Once the ovaries are removed (in my case 13 years after my hysterectomy) the issues are resolved. (There was a lot more detail I don't remember as it's been a couple of years but I had asked her about PCOS in my physical and she said no ovaries no PCOS.)

Hormones do play a large part in our weight - from grehlin in the stomach to stress hormones. Any HRT is going to have an effect on our weight loss journey as it helps regulate the hormones.

It sounds like the combination has put your body on the path to health again!

Thank you so much for this!!! i think maybe the reason I heard a hysterectomy isn't a cure is because nowadays, many doctors aren't removing the ovaries if the woman hasn't hit menopause naturally yet. But my doctor is amazing and she said since I was having so many issues with ALL of my female plumbing (that's actually how she said it lol) I could have them removed along with everything else and go on HRT if I wanted. I jumped at it and have been completely happy with that choice. So it makes sense that my PCOS is gone now that both ovaries are, too, and the major stumbling block with losing weight is also gone. Thanks again!!!!

6 minutes ago, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

Thank you so much for this!!! i think maybe the reason I heard a hysterectomy isn't a cure is because nowadays, many doctors aren't removing the ovaries if the woman hasn't hit menopause naturally yet. But my doctor is amazing and she said since I was having so many issues with ALL of my female plumbing (that's actually how she said it lol) I could have them removed along with everything else and go on HRT if I wanted. I jumped at it and have been completely happy with that choice. So it makes sense that my PCOS is gone now that both ovaries are, too, and the major stumbling block with losing weight is also gone. Thanks again!!!!

You're more than welcome!! When I had my hysterectomy (cervical cancer) my doctor at the time left the ovaries so I wouldn't go into menopause at age 26. LOL Then I ended up with an ovarian cyst gone wild 13 years later so out they came, too!

Technically, a hysterectomy is just the uterus removal: hyster = uterus; ectomy = surgical removal. For the ovaries to also come out it would be a hystero-oophorectomy. (I wonder, too, if they're not removing the ovaries as often due to insurance. I work in medical billing as a cash poster so I only post payments from insurance and patients but I hear about a lot of denials and let me tell you, it's getting crazier by the day.)

2 minutes ago, WanderingLass said:

You're more than welcome!! When I had my hysterectomy (cervical cancer) my doctor at the time left the ovaries so I wouldn't go into menopause at age 26. LOL Then I ended up with an ovarian cyst gone wild 13 years later so out they came, too!

Technically, a hysterectomy is just the uterus removal: hyster = uterus; ectomy = surgical removal. For the ovaries to also come out it would be a hystero-oophorectomy. (I wonder, too, if they're not removing the ovaries as often due to insurance. I work in medical billing as a cash poster so I only post payments from insurance and patients but I hear about a lot of denials and let me tell you, it's getting crazier by the day.)

My doctor said they tend to not want to remove ovaries on anyone that hasn't already had menopause because they don't want to send anyone into medical menopause. But she said with my PCOS, very large uterine fibroids, and all the problems both were giving me for years, she absolutely was able to justify removing them. And since I'll be 46 next month, she said I was in the gray area but still reasonable to do it. I was ecstatic. I have had so many surgeries and complications and issues over the last 2 years that I just wanted all of my stuff to be done and over. Now I'm on estrogen (tomorrow will be 3 weeks post op from the hysterectomy and also on estrogen since she started me on it the same day via patch) and I'm feeling great. It's literally the first time in my life that I've had regulated hormones!!!