Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am such a weenie.... I mean to the point of I got my epidural when I was only 2cm dialated with dd and I will never get another tattoo because I screamed so much durring the first one (lol now.... but that crap HURT).

Does post op hurt really bad? I imagine there will be some sort of pain and lots of pain meds. How long does it hurt?

I'm probably going to ask a million questions... sorry in advance!

Hey there. :smile2:

I just got banded on Friday so I'm definitely still in that recovery period...

I left the hospital that same day at like 6 pm and pretty much went to sleep at 7 or so. The pain.. I'd say it wasn't horrible. The first day.. my stomach felt like it had been punched a million times over and over again. But it was clear that this was just a "sore" type of pain. And I didn't really take any meds.. besides a little liquid loritab. The next day it felt a lot better but still sore. and today, I'm feeling pretty good. My stomach is still sore..but it's definitely only when I move lots and it's not a constant pain.. I'm perfectly comfortable sitting down right now typing on my lap top :biggrin2:

It's definitely tolerable and definitely worth it :rolleyes2:

Yeah, it hurts. It's major surgery :rolleyes2:

But, it's not THAT bad. You will be on pain meds and sleep a lot. After day 3 -5 post op is when I was really feeling better. Most of my pain was in the port area from the muscle. It was hard to sit down, get up (Anything that uses ab muscles).

I haven't had a baby yet, so I can't compare birth to the surgery experience :smile2:

Hey Katiebugs! I wont lie lol, I was banded Friday and (unlike my mom who had it done 2 ½ weeks ago) when I woke in recovery I was crying out in pain, my moms claims that she never remembered the recovery room lol. It defiantly hurt! (I also had a hiatal hernia) But then they gave me morphine and I was so much better. I have been able to move around and every thing just fine. I have a 12month old who is extremely clingy (just us too...well my BF works nights and hasn’t had a day off in 16+ days) and I had to hold him and cuddle with him as soon as I got home lol.

I got banded around 7am and I left the hospital at 4pm, made it home around 6pm (traffic sux in Houston) and my son came home around 7pm from my ex-husbands (who only thinks I had a hernia repair, I didn’t want him and his family knowing about the lapband. Especially since he claimed a big part of his affair was my weight). I am taking my liquid vicodine, I honestly wouldn’t have been able to tolerate the pain or recovery and carrying around my son with out it. I am very lucky that I do not have the back and shoulder pain from the air that they pump into you. My chest hurts in the center between my breasts; it gets really tight and feels like I’ve swallowed a pill wrong but after a few seconds it passes. The stitches hurt a bit, but I think that if you take your pain medicine you will be just gravy.

I’m a really big baby when it come to pain, though I waited till I was 3cm for the epidural when delivering my son and I do have 2 tattoos but the only reason for the 2nd is because it is my son’s name, Zodiac and birthday hehehe.

Hope this helps.

Edited by asherje

I can tell you it is uncomfortable but not very painful. I did not use pain meds and I was fine with Liquid Tylenol. When I first started walking after surgery I felt like I needed to hold my stomach, and repositioning myself in bed was a chore....but to say it was a very painful even I would say not ..of course that is for me. Bottom line is if I had to do it again tomorrow I would do it with no fears at all.

Just a little bit sore at the incision site....was shopping at Walmart the day after surgery. I went home same day of surgery...no worries!

It all depends on your pain threshold.

My sister had her op and was off work for 3 weeks - had to sleep in a recliner because she couldn't lay down or get comfortable.

When I had my op, I was back at work the next day and after 3 days had stopped taking panadol.

Does it hurt? Not really. I don't think I even felt the 'punched' feeling that everyone else did. Of course, it WAS very uncomfortable. I had trouble sitting still after the surgery and spent several days either sleeping or walking around aimlessly wishing I could just sit down and relax. I think that was due to the gas, though. I'm eight day post-op now and almost back to normal. The worst part of the entire surgery for me was the lack of energy. I am just getting my energy back and I still can't stomach those disgusting Protein shakes.

Good luck! Don't be afraid of the pain - it's worth it! Worse case scenario, you get some lovely pain medicine and sleep your recovery away.:confused:

The area that I hurt most after surgery - my throat. I had a killer sore throat for 2 weeks and could barely talk. Maybe that's why my belly didn't really hurt - the pain of my throat overtook it.

The only pain I had was at the port site. It was just a little uncomfortable. I did have some nauseau too. My doctor prescribed me an anti nauseau medication for that and I took it for a few weeks following surgery. Other than that, the surgery was very easy.

For Me It Wasnt Too Bad. But Then Again I Have 7 Tattoos Lol ... The Day After I Was Discharged Home I Think I Took Pain Meds Once. By The Next Day The Worst Pain I Had Was I Felt Like I Had Done Wayyyyyyyy To Many Sit Ups. Actually Seeing How I Dont Do Sit Ups It Was Like I Had Done 2 Of Them..lol. But Everyone Is Different , But I Have Yet To Hear Of Any Pain That Bad

i got an date for 4/30 i am excited i really getting the band due to high blood pressure, borderline diabetes and i just had a grandchild first one!!!! and i would like to get on some rides with him at disney LOL

My experience is probably a little atypical, but I had essentially no pain at all. When I woke up from anaesthetic, my throat felt scratchy from the intubation and I would have happily knifed someone for a sip of Water, but I wasn't feeling any pain.

I was in hospital overnight, and every time the nurses came in asking if I wanted a painkiller I declined. It just didn't hurt. I ended up having a couple of soluble paracetamol at the surgeon's insistence.

The only real discomfort I have felt has been the gas, but that is far from a major issue. Also, I flew home three days post-op, and the changes in air pressure made the gas pains a bit more intense.