Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie to the 60+ group

Hi Dodie, I was banded May 21, 2008. I take 7 pills in am (2 of them are large "avandmet and Hyzaar) others are aspirin, coreg, vitorin. The band size is 14 (AP Standard). I dont know what that means, but is what Dr told me when asked the size of band. He gave me a 2.5cc fill on Jun 2. Have had no problem swallowing, eating or digesting. Any suggestions?

I am not your doctor, but I would suggest you need a fill. For instance, I have a 10 cc band and am at 5.5 ccs. I have mild restriction but able to swallow my medication and when I forget to chew thoroughly, I don't vomit very often. My doctor had put my band on fairly tight so I had a natural restriction as well. Ask your doctor what the average restriction for your band is, when you reach that level you should have restriction. However if you have to go higher than the average, go slowly in the amounts such as .5 ccs or less. I have been taking .5 ccs but now I will go now to .25 ccs. My band's average is 6 or 7 ccs. Hope this assists you.

Hi sharon. I am need to this site. Like yourself i am a grandma of 9 with only one being a girl. I love my grandkids! Two of mine live across the street. Revolving door at our house! Love it! I am 60 years old and at 242 lbs. July 29th I go for my consultation and get everything rolling. Nice to see other people my age are doing this. I want to be healthy and enjoy every day to its fullest. Nice to meet you!

Susan P

sunshine I found this information on another link. Hope its helps answer a few questions.

Originally Posted by Wendell Edwards viewpost.gif

This may help you in understanding the restrictive mechanism of a Lap Band.

The ALLERGAN protocol for Lap Band fills calls for a six-week delay after surgery, prior to any fills. The purpose for the six-week delay is for the patient’s stomach to heal from the surgery, as well as allowing time for the Lap Band to “Seat” or “Nestle” into the fat pad between the stomach wall and the interior wall of the Lap Band.

Prior to receiving an EFFECTIVE fill, it is VERY uncommon to have any restriction from a Lap Band. Some patients will NOT lose weight, or may even GAIN weight until they have received an effective fill in their Lap Band.

Normal weight loss with a properly restricted Lap Band is between 1 and 2 pounds per week.

The normal cycle of fills, restriction and weight loss is as follows:

1. The patient's Lap Band constricts when the patient receives a fill. Swelling for a few days after receiving a fill is very common. Many doctors require a patient to go on a liquid diet for a day or two after receiving a fill. A fill may have a “Delayed Action” of up to 4 weeks. A “Delayed-Action” means that the fill may not become effective for up to 4 weeks after the fill. That is why the ALLERGAN protocol states that fills should not be performed on patients who will not have access to medical care for at least two weeks after a fill.

2. The patient's stomach capacity is lessened as a result of the restriction caused by the Lap Band.

3. The patient loses weight because they cannot eat as much food.

4. The residual fat-pad between the inside of the Lap Band and the outside of the patient's stomach reduces in size because of the overall weight loss in the patient.

5. The reduction of the residual fat-pad causes the Lap Band to become loose again.

6. At that point, the patient needs another fill, because the Lap Band is loose, and the patient has a loss of restriction, which allows the patient to eat larger amounts of food.< /span>

7. The patient receives another fill and the process starts all over again.

Most Lap Band patients receive several fills to adjust the Lap Band as their weight loss progresses, and there is less and less residual fat-pad between the inside of the Lap Band and the exterior of the stomach wall. Once a patient has lost all of their residual fat-pad, fills become less common. As the Lap Band patient progresses in their weight loss, the effect of very tiny fills (Less than .2ccs) becomes greater and greater.

It is not uncommon for a late-stage Lap Band patient to experience a significant difference in restriction with as little as .05cc of fill.

Great information Doddie63. This is a good picture of how everything works over the long-haul. Tells me we have to be a patient patient and not try to push too hard. It will happen.

Hi.

I am a newbie to this forum. I will be 72 in two weeks and am hoping that the surgeon I was referred to will do my banding. I had been referred to another surgeon a couple years ago, but he wouldn't do the banding - just wanted to do an open surgery and I don't like the risks - he said it would be very risky but he would do it. I was also working at the time and knew I didn't want to take the time off to recouperate. Now, I am retired but still don't want the risk of an open surgery.

So glad to find an active forum for people over 60 who have been banded. I know this is the best way for me to go. I have 150 lbs. to lose and have tried every diet I can think of - the weight came off but came back on with even more weight. Now it doesn't want to budge, no matter how hard I try.

Hope to talk to others who are on this same road to success!!

Krosmon: Welcome from me to you. There is also a link for people over 70 as well. I can't see why you can't be banded when others in your age group have. Perhaps they will know of a surgeon that will perform the surgery if yours won't. Good luck, as a band is a terrific tool to have.

Thanks for your quick reply, Doddie. I looked at the over 70 thread, but it doesn't seem to have much activity. So thought I'd join your group.

I have a doctor - my first appointment is 9/26 so I have a while to wait to see her. If she agrees to do the surgery, my HMO or Medicare should go for it, hopefully. I sent the questionnaire back last week as soon as I got it, but the scheduling clerk is on vacation this week, so I am to call on Monday to see if they can move my appointment up.

All I can think of is how great it will be to be rid of even some of this weight. I enjoy travelling but it is so uncomfortable to fly, or walk - but I still go when I can.

Yes the band is a wonderful tool. Some think it is a magic wand and they can continue to eat large meals. The thing is you can eat normal just not as much. Better choices are encouraged but the biggest thrill I have had is the feeling I am full. Never in my life have I felt full. If I did, it was for a couple of minutes and I was looking for food again. Being 65, I am not looking for an immediate weight loss because of my skin. I am averaging 2 lbs per month and the skin seems to be slowly shrinking as well. I will need PS but not for some time.

I certainly hope you find a reputable clinic to give you the band. The weight loss will be great for your health all round.

Hello all you bansters!!! I'm back--This is my sixth day from surgery. All is well. I got to eat applesauce and pudding today. Don't have much of an appetite. Hope this continues. Almost have to force myself to get the Protein etc: I need everyday. Port site is still a little sore, but nothing I can't put up with. For all you guys out there GO FOR IT---I felt last Thursday was the first day of the rest of my healthy life.:)

Hello all you bansters!!! I'm back--This is my sixth day from surgery. All is well. I got to eat applesauce and pudding today. Don't have much of an appetite. Hope this continues. Almost have to force myself to get the Protein etc: I need everyday. Port site is still a little sore, but nothing I can't put up with. For all you guys out there GO FOR IT---I felt last Thursday was the first day of the rest of my healthy life.:)

It is so GREAT to hear from you, Plevy. Glad to hear you are doing so well and only 6 days out. I have been wondering how you were getting along.

Congratulations on the first day of your healthy life!!:biggrin2:

Congratulations on your new banding. I can hardly wait to join you.

Starbucks has a new Protein drink. I tried it today - banana and chocolate made with whey - about 250 calories. Not cheap but it was pretty tasty. I think I could live on that for a few days before or after my banding. 21 grams of Protein. They have another one - banana and mango which may be sweeter. About the same amount of calories and protein.

Keep posting so we who haven't been lucky enough to get our bands yet can see how well you're doing.

Glad to hear your surgery went well, and you are feeling good. I started by 2 week pre-op liquid diet and it's been going well. I thought it would be much worst, but I am really not that hungry. I was off line for a while with computer problems. Keep it touch, and keep up the good job.

Hi KarenIn--Glad to hear you are doing well on the two week diet. I didn't find it bad at all. I'd been on worse diets. Where are you having your surgery? Mine was at The Surgical Hospital in Slidell, La. Everything went very smoothly. Hope all goes as well for you. Keep in touch---:thumbup: