Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie to the 60+ group

Hi everyone! I am very new to the forum, and just found the 60+ thread. I find alot of helpful information on the forum, but it nice to see some others in my age group. I am 60 and just getting ready for lap band. I meet the surgeon the day before yesterday, and now I need to finish the 6 month supervised diet my insurance requires. I am still working, but hope to retire in a few years. I want to be healthy, and able to do things to enjoy that retirement. I am looking forward to getting to know you all better.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I am a grandmother of three wonderful boys who are 2 months old, 3 years old, and 4 years old. I am looking forward to retiring, and have more time to see them. I love to quilt, and I love to cook. I have been busy buying low carb cookbooks, as they tell me they want me on a high Protein low carb diet. Sweets are my downfall for sure!!! I welcome any suggestion for a good tested low carb cookbook. I was heavy all my adult life, but I had a bad fall a few years ago and fractured my back. I really gained the weight after that, as it was difficult to do much of anything. I have problems with my knees, and ankles and my back. So I really need to loss 150 pounds so I can keep mobile. I am counting on everyone here for support. It's great to know I am not alone.

Edited by KarenIn

Hi Karen, Isn't it great to be a gramma? I have 11 from age 23 to 8 and a new great grand daughter. They are all great kids. I am semi retired. I try to work one day a week (private duty in home RN) I moved in with my daughter, son-in-law and 2 boys 2 years ago. My SIL asked me to and it has worked out great. We also have 2 dogs and 2 cats so there is never a dull moment. I do have my own room and bath I can retreat to if it gets too hectic but hardly ever do because the boys are always outside or in their downstairs playroom. Right now the biggest problem is that my daughter loves to bake. I can usually resist but today I had 3 brownies so I'm pretty down on myself. But my gosh, the smell of them baking ............how could I resist............and once started, well, you no doubt understand. I don't seem to have any restriction right now. I had to have a slight unfil because I was too tight and after she took out only.6cc my restriction just went. Not everyone has that kind of problem so don't feel like that will happen to you. And some people have much better will power too. Talk to you later.

Hi Karen! I am a grandma (of 4 - oldest is 23, youngest grandson just turned 1 year old yesterday) and a great-grandma of a 15 month old girl. We all have the same incentive - being active and able to enjoy these wonderful children! I also love to quilt and enjoy cooking. I think so many of us on the 60+ forum have a lot in common, and good shared experiences. I, too, began the serious weight gain because of severe arthritis and knee surgeries which restricted my ability to exercise. I'm back in that situation with the other knee now. Doc recommended injections in that knee to help stave off replacement. The injections seem to be working and I have begun to exercise. The lapband and subsequent weight loss will make all the difference. I am determined to make this work. I am still in the researching stage, just trying to find the right facility that accepts medicare assignment for hospital charges AND the doctor's charges - AND does not have a 2 year waiting list for medicare patients (as one of the nearby facilities has). I am attending a seminar on April 12th that I believe will open that door for me. I am READY!

I love your parents already! What a wonderful gift for you - please accept their gift with love and appreciation, and begin to plan how you can pass their love on through you to your children and grandchildren. I believe that's what we are all here for...

Good luck to you

Joann

JoAnn It sounds like we all have a lot in common. My kids were older when they had my grandchildren, so my grandchild are very young. Wish they lived a lot closer. The 4 year old is the closest, and that is a 21/2 hour drive. The 2 , and they help alot! However, I will still need a knee replacement someday. I hope I can take my meds after the lapband, or I will really be in pain. Good luck in your search for a lapband that accepts Medicare!!! Keep in touch.

Edited by KarenIn

Hi Sharon. I sure am glad I found this tread, as we all have a lot in common. Wow! eleven grandkids, that must keep you real busy! I am trying to get use to not drinking with meals, and chewing better. I know I ate way too fast before. I am very sure that was a big part of my problem. Also, I have given up soft drinks. It's been about two weeks, so now it is getting easier to do with out the diet pop. Like I mentioned before, I am also trying to reduce the carbs, especially the refined sugar. Good Luck to you! I've been a widow for 18 years, and live alone, so I don't have to worry about the temptation of brownies baking.

I'm sorry you lost your husband. I divorced about 11 yrs. ago because he is an alcoholic and wouldn't try to stop. We had 6 children. Lost the oldest. I gained mega weight after he died. I'm still trying to find a better way to deal with emotions.

Hi there!!!

I have been reading about everyone. The sixties group is great. I was wondering if I was the only one in my sixties going for Lapband. I am 62 and also a grandmother. My five grandkids ages are 17-15-4-2-1. They are my pride and joy.

I have had back surgery and one knee replaced, with the other one needing replacement. I also had blood clot go to my lung, which complicated my requirements for Lapband Surgery. All said and done though I am scheduled for surgery on July 17th. It took approx 10 months to finally get a date, but I'm finally there. Will be posting as events occur. Best of luck to all, you will all be in my prayers.

best wishes plevy. I don't have children but the band has given me a life of energy and happiness which has translated into better health to enjoy my retirement. I know you will find you enjoy everything so much more. Again best wishes

Hi,

My name is Sylvia and I am 61 years old. I have five grandsons, the youngest is 13 days old. I have been working with a trainer three times a week and seeing a nutritionist twice a month for the last four months. I have July and August to go plus a psychiatric eval this month. Then, I believe the insurance will approve my lapband procedure. I haven't lost a pound in the past four months. I have given up caffeine, working on less diet pop, and struggling to eat more slowly. I am still working and I seem to forget to stop and smell the roses (namely meal time). I hope to have the surgery in September and then will be working hard to take off approximately 100 pounds. Thanks for this group!:o

Hello, I am new to all this and need all the information I can read. I am planning on having the lap band . So far I have gone to one of the siminar's and have found a doctor. I recently found out I have sleep apnea and have a c-pap I call "she devil". I hope the lap band will help me to get rid of this machine.

Does the lap band interfere with any type of testing a person would have to have in the future? Like the colon test and the endoscopy? Do any of you have any type of pulmonary problems that cause a problem for the band?

suzpat. Those are very medical questions you should ask your clinic doctor. The band is not well know to many doctors and could cause issues when taking tests. You may have to have defills but only your lapband surgeon should answer that.

Some people suffer acid reflux during sleep but I understand this can be solved by not eating after dinner and drinking Water to flush the pouch.

I have lung problems and the band does not interfere with treatment.

Hope this helps

Hello everyone. Very new so please excuse anything stupid I may do. Lots of questions since I am in the research stage and planning. Have any of you had a problem with Hair loss? I reas on a web site that was a problem. I would hate to loose all this weight to end up skinny and bald! LOL. Not a pretty site for a female.