Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, I am soooo confused! This story is a bit complicated but I will try to get it across! I was banded in Jan 06, I started having severe heartburn in May 06, has cont up until today. I lost 80 lbs in the first year, have stayed at that since (so lost nothing for 1 yr) I am totally not at goal. I went on a mission trup last month so I had all my Fluid removed, I went today to get a fill and told them about my severe indigestion continuing. They did a barrium swallow, said I had a medium slipage and I needed to be rebanded within the next 2 weeks. I asked him if we could try to leave the fluid out and he said it will not correct itself. The problem I see here is this dr is not the same dr that put it in and they actually do not like each other. What if he is just "using" me as another example of how the first screwed up. What do youall think I should do? There are no other drs in my area. He did take all my fluid out....what should I be eating to try to make it heal itself? I dont know if my insurance will pay. If they wont, Im really screwed. PLEASE HELP! :)

hi

thats interesting l had my band done 31st may 2007 l had reflux before my op 8months after l never suffered l have 6,5ml in a 10ml band for the last 3 months l have suffered at night only with terible reflux sometimes l have woken up with the sides of my mouth burnt. so l went back to see mr sommers as my years care is nearly up l was put on zoton fast tabs there has been a slight improvement but l am up still at least two nights a week with it

l thought yesterday as l only have 2 weeks left l need to sort this out l spoke to him l have to go and have a barium and be deflated then gradually be refilled l have lost 2st 8lbs l would love to lose the 3st that was my goal hope all goes well let me know l would be interested to see how you are doiung

wendy

Well please keep me up to date! I was scheduled to have my band removed/replaced on May 13th. However, it ended up slipping more 2 weeks ago and I could not even keep Water down so I have emergent sugery done on Monday April 28th. I have since been to get my first fill. I am at 4.5 cc's and have NO restriction at all!! I have not experienced one episode of heart burn, vomiting, nothing since my surgery :hurray: I have, however, had this really weird pain in my upper left quadrant. It hurts like hell. Almost feels like when you run and get that side pain. I went for a barrium swallow and he says its GAS! I have never in my life had gas pains like this before. New problem I guess. :cry_smile: Hahahah. I do have hopes though, Im calling today to go for another fill!! That should help, Im ready to lose cause at this point, IM GAINING :hurray: Please keep me filled in, I want to know how things go for you and if you need anything, let me know!!

Hi angiewiu

I had the same problem, my doc said my band had slipped and I had another surgery to fix it but ever since they fixed it I gained 15 pounds. Be careful and try to maintain the weight you are at.

good luck

I was in my doc's office today and we talked about band slippage and the consequences. I had a really violent episode of vomiting following a series of minor PBs, so he did a barium swallow to see how I was. (Fortunately, all is well other than a painful esophagus and a lot of swelling.)

He told me that it's important to check the band out very soon after such a forceful incident. If the lower stomach slips up past the band (which can happen with vomiting), they can remove all the saline and allow the stomach to slip back down, and after a little healing period, they can return the fill.

However, if the slippage goes unnoted for a couple of months, the stomach will actually scar into place above the band, and unfilling won't do the trick. That's when surgery is required to fix the problem. I suspect this is what's happened in your case.

I'm sorry to hear you might be facing more surgery, but it sure sounds like the corrective surgery could be the thing to help you back on your journey. :biggrin:

I was banded July 06, after a rough year losing my mother to cancer - the past year and a half has been succesful by my loss of 60 pounds to date. I am only 20-25lbs to goal. The past week however, i have had some troubles keeping anything down. It used to be i was only tight in the mornings and able to eat well in the evening.

Now, i have a hard time even keeping a shake down in the mid-morning or late-afternoon. I can't tolerate any salads, no fruits, few lean meats, and only a few vegtables-even at night. I am wondering if maybe i need an "un-fill". I'm not sure of my band size, but i do know i've only had 3 fills total. One being 8/21/06; 9/20/06; and the last being 11/28/06 for a total of 2.4cc.

I had insurance when i got banded, but now i'm a full time college student with no insurance. I have not been for a check up since my last fill- a year and a half ago. Any thoughts??????

Thanks!