Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long were you out of work?

Hello everyone! First of all, let me say....I LOVE THIS FORUM!!!! Ok, with that being said, I wanted to know how long people were out of work after surgery? I am having my surgery on March 31st..this coming monday!!!! YEAH!!! I wanted to see how long I will be in pain? I own a daycare and I want to get back to work as soon as I feel better, since I don't have to do heavy lifting or anything. ( I have a helper for that) I just don't want to have to keep my mind wondering with just sitting here without anything to do, so I want to get back to work ASAP.

How long were you out for, how much pain were you in? Also, how long did the surgery last? I never asked that question! I asked everything else, but not that!

So, can anyone answer that?

Thank you!

surgery was 40 minutes - spent about an hour in post-op and then was bored so asked if i could go home and get on the computer. stayed out of work for a week and going back actually really helped get me moving and helped with my recover (gas). :teeth_smile:

Hi, I was banded on Tuesday, so I'm 4 days post op. I go back to work (as a Chaplain for Hospice) so the work doesn't require any heavy lifting. I'm glad I don't have to work today or tomorrow. Monday will be hard but doable. Good luck to you.

I never used pain meds. I never felt bad enough to need them. I had surgery on a Wednesday and went back to work the following Tuesday. I'm a school based therapist and am on my feet a lot and do lots of stairs. I was tired the first few days back to work and would take a break every once in a while, as needed. Everybody responds differently to surgery, though. Your recovery time is an individual thing.

I'm having my lapband surgery the same day as you, 3/31. I'm planning on taking a week off. I work in an office and don't have to do anything strenuous. I've had gallbladder surgery and 2 umbilical hernia repairs done laproscopically. After all the surgeries I took a week off. I felt pretty good after the surgeries, but I was just more tired than anything else and didn't feel up to being at work all day for at least a week. I could feel a difference in my energy level for about 6 weeks after all the surgeries. I didn't feel back to really normal at least until then. I imagine that's how it will be with the lapband.

I am scheduled for May 19th and plan to take 8 days off, returning after the Memorial Day holiday. I am looking forward to relaxing at home after the surgery. I have had a C-Section and agree that the sooner you get up and moving the better...but I plan to enjoy the quiet time away from work! :thumbup: Plus, I would much rather deal with the gas pains at home, than at work.

Of course, everyone is different. I had surgery @ 2:00 on a Thursday and was back at work the following Tuesday. Probably could've gone back Monday but I was just a little slow moving...didn't want to push it. Mind you I was not late heavy, an active person, and relatively young.

Gosh, I'm glad you asked this question. I'm getting banded this Thursday. I've setup vacation from Thursday to the following Wednesday. I've been nervous about recovery time. Thanks for asking the question

I stayed home for 3 weeks. I do a lot of physical labor so I went by Dr.'s orders to the Tee when it came to that. The last thing I wanted to do was take any chances.

I had to report to hospital at 9:30 am. Had surgery at around 1 I think. Surgery was like 45 minutes long. I was out of recovery and in my room by 4 pm. His patients stay the night and I'm sooo glad I did. I was released at noon the next day. I was on pain meds for about 3 days. Probably could have not taken them the third day but I'm a super wimp and don't like to be in pain if I don't have to be.

I'm so excited for your surgery and can't wait to hear all about it!

post-229577-13813136782032_thumb.jpg

Edited by ronwifey

I had my lap band on a Wed. and went back to work on Monday. I do childcare also in peoples houses and had no problem.Be well

Fran

The program I am in at Lowell General Hospital (MA) asks that you try to stay out of work any where between 4 and 6 weeks! That is for both lap band and gastric by-pass! Seems like a long time, but they said they require it so you can get adjusted to your new tummy! They have a feeding schedule every one to two hours and said work would get in the way of that.... I was thinking it sounded like a really long time - thank god for short term disability! If everyone feels well by the second week looks like I migh have a couple weeks of nice weather to relax in! aahh!

I was banded on Friday and am planning on returning to work tomorrow (Tuesday). I just started this job last week and dont want to take too mcuh time off. My pain is not bad and I'm getting really bored at home for three days. But I have heard that its a lot worse for other people. It can't hurt to take off more but it can hurt to go back too soon.