Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much did you lose before your first fill?

Hi everyone! This is my first post even though I am a frequent visitor. I was banded on February 28th, 2005. I have heard it said that you will lose quickly during your first 30 days and then things will slow down - and I have heard it said that any weight lost before your first fill is a bonus. I'm confused. So just curious what others lost during your "healing" period before your first fill? I'm due for my first fill on April 2nd and I'm really hoping that it's going to help me eat less - because I really don't feel it working much at this point. I'm hungry!

Thanks!

Jeanette

Hi, I had my band put in on 2/16 and have not had a fill yet. I may get one tomorrow or I may have a problem with the port. Anyway, I had lost about 11 pounds in the first 2 weeks. I was 236 day of surgery and got down to 219. I started gaining weight. It lingers between 220 and 224. I don't really have any restriction at this point because the swelling had gone down, but I think I gained because I was eating high calorie food. Ice cream for example.

Keep calm!!

It's normal to be hungry after you heal and before your fill.

I was banded on 9/15/04. I only lost 10 lbs after surgery during the liquid phase - and that's all I lost for over 3 1/2 months. In fact, I gained two pounds over the holidays.

It wasn't until my 3rd fill at the end of December I started to feel any real restriction. My fourth fill, in February, has really started to work wonders.

Since the end of December, I've lost over 17 pounds - that may not be alot by lapband standards - but I am very happy with it. I can really feel my band working for me.

I was very frustrated and depressed those first few months - I knew I was going to be a lapband failure, but I followed the wonderful advice of everyone on this board, have hung in there and am now finally beginning to see results.

My first 2 fills did nothing for me, but hang in there. Keep reading and posting. THe band will start to work.

Hi Jeannette,

It does seem contradictory to hear that many people lose quite quickly in the liquid phase, and then to also hear that you shouldn't expect to lose before your first fill. The fact is that both of those are true. Some people lose a lot of Water weight during the liquid phase and that accounts for most of the rapid weight loss some experience in the first few weeks. Others simply don't, and the weight doesn't start to come off for real until good restriction is reached--which can take a couple of fills to happen.

I think I lost about 20-25 lbs before my first fill, but I started at 317 so I had a lot to lose. My fill was 8 weeks after my surgery, and then my second was three months later. Between surgery and my second fill I lost a total of about 30 lbs.

Jeanette,

Here is the way I see it. To Be SUCCESSFUL WE ALL NEED TO FOLLOW THE PLAN EXACTLY as to what the doctor tells you to eat! This is not a miracle band(though I wish it was) its a tool. Its only going to be as good as we are. I don't have my surgery date as of yet due to insurance but have been on LBT for 5 mnths now everyday. I have learned alot. I started the liquid phase last week just because I could. I will continue to do liquids for one to two meals until I get my date & than for a whole two weeks prior to the date because thats what the doc says to do. I lost 8 1/2 pds & I have not added exercise. Thats not a huge amount but I am on my way & probably may have gained if I hadn't done anything. Give yourself some time. Remeber that it took time to but the weight on & usually takes more than double to take it off. You CAn DO IT.. But it will take alot of work. Think before you eat..is this worth eating? Or could I fill up on some Protein or fruit or vegs first & than 20 mins later if I am still hungry I will have what ever it was. If its high in calories say - NO! If you can't say no than try cutting what ever the portion was in half, even if its the smallest of bites just try- you may surprize yourself. You can DO IT!

After Your Surgery

Day 1 & 2= Clear liquid

Week 1= Full liquids as tolerated

Week 2 & 3=Pureed/Blended Foods

Week 4 -7 = Soft diet

End of Wk 7 = Transitional period to solid food

Week 8 & beyond- solid food (Smart choices!)- Chew Chew

Norma- You are only in your 5th week sweetie. I read in another post some of the things you have tried like pizza & toast w/peanut butter(i think it was) your band is still healing at this time & even though you may be able to swallow that stuff it doesn't mean your stomach isn't working overtime to digest it. Try to slow down & go back to only liquids for a bit & soft foods. Hang in there you've come so far!!! Make smart choices. I hope & pray your docs visit is a positive one. Your band will be ok if you want it to be ok. Know what I mean? Good luck Norma-You Too Can Do This!

I just went yesterday for my second fill, I was at 1cc and now have 2cc, I am not sure yet how much restriction I have from this fill, but while in the office I met a lady who was there to have fill taken out after a year because she had lost too much weight!! I am talking she is a size 4 she told me that she just had to have some removed to maintain the weight she has so she does not get too small. It was very encouraging, she looks like one of those girls that can eat anything and still be a size 2. She said she has trouble with meat but can eat most everything else and even the occasional ice cream.

I had surgery Friday March 18th and I'm down 7 pounds.I know alot of it is Water but I figure it still counts as weight lose!!! I am worried that I'm not getting enough nutrition and I know that will come later as I move on to more full liquids/mushys/solids. For now it it is nice to see the scales going down. I guess I should be glad I'm losing a good bit now and I'm glad that I know that with my band it won't stop this time. After my fill I will lose some more!!! Yippi!!!

I am wondering since I'm starting full liquids. How can I get in all my Protein? I am having a hard enough time just getting in enough Water. Any suggestions??I am able to drink 1 Protein Drink 11 oz but it is taking me about 2 to 3 hours cause I think I'm scared to over do it.

Thank you everyone for your help and encouragement! Your posts made me feel better about not losing much yet.

Jeanette

Thanks for your post - you hit the nail on the head when you said you were afraid of being a failure. I feel like I've failed at every other attempt to lose this weight and I get thoughts that this will fail me too. I will keep calm. Thanks again! Jeanette

Keep calm!!

It's normal to be hungry after you heal and before your fill.

I was banded on 9/15/04. I only lost 10 lbs after surgery during the liquid phase - and that's all I lost for over 3 1/2 months. In fact, I gained two pounds over the holidays.

It wasn't until my 3rd fill at the end of December I started to feel any real restriction. My fourth fill, in February, has really started to work wonders.

Since the end of December, I've lost over 17 pounds - that may not be alot by lapband standards - but I am very happy with it. I can really feel my band working for me.

I was very frustrated and depressed those first few months - I knew I was going to be a lapband failure, but I followed the wonderful advice of everyone on this board, have hung in there and am now finally beginning to see results.

My first 2 fills did nothing for me, but hang in there. Keep reading and posting. THe band will start to work.

Just a suggestion - I did a chocolate Protein drink and mixed a spoonful of Peanut Butter in it for extra Protein (and cause I just love Peanut Butter and chocolate together). Jeanette

I had surgery Friday March 18th and I'm down 7 pounds.I know alot of it is Water but I figure it still counts as weight lose!!! I am worried that I'm not getting enough nutrition and I know that will come later as I move on to more full liquids/mushys/solids. For now it it is nice to see the scales going down. I guess I should be glad I'm losing a good bit now and I'm glad that I know that with my band it won't stop this time. After my fill I will lose some more!!! Yippi!!!

I am wondering since I'm starting full liquids. How can I get in all my protein? I am having a hard enough time just getting in enough Water. Any suggestions??I am able to drink 1 Protein Drink 11 oz but it is taking me about 2 to 3 hours cause I think I'm scared to over do it.

Hi Jeanette -- You can see from the posts here that everyone's body reacts differently to the band. And while it's great that Christina posted her doctor's recommended food schedule, please note that your surgeon may have a completely different plan for you.

I was one of the lucky bandsters who lost quite a lot in the weeks immediately after surgery -- mostly Water weight, although I shed some fat, and was lucky to have no appetite. After the first month I lost weight very slowly, and my first fill gave me almost no restriction. I ate like a fiend over the holidays, and still lost a few pounds thanks to exercise (encouraged by the exercise challenge here at LBT). Other than those early Water pounds, I didn't lose too much until my second fill in late January. (That's how I remember the pattern; I'll look at my weight history tonight for a reality check.)

Everyone has a different story, so don't be alarmed if you don't lose much weight at first; if the water pounds just pour off you; if you lose a pound every single week; or you lose five, gain one, lose one, stay the same, lose four. Your body will have its own pattern. Meanwhile, congratulations on getting your band! Good luck with that first fill.

I lost 19 lbs before I had my first fill at 9 weeks post op. It is normal to be hungry before you get a fill, and do not get discouraged if the first fill does not take away that hunger completely, sometimes it take 1-3 fills to get to the right spot but every little fill does help.

The weight I lost was all lost within the first month, because I was so sick after the surgery... Then in Dec, I went on vacation for three weeks, ate a lot of junk, then on the way back go a fill, had no restriction from it, second fill, no restriction and the third fill last week, I have restriction. So hopefully I will start losing weight again, because I had even gained 5 lbs and since Wed, I have lost them, but I haven't been exercising like before so that has lots to do with.. I am starting my walking back up tonight. I am going to win this battle.

hi there i noticed even with the band it is a battle with losing weght the band helps alot i lost 18 pd first few weekd i was banded on the 17 of jan no fill yet i am steadlinng losing weight so far but it is a very concious process of wht you eat and how often you exercise i walk every day and do curves every other day i reaaly watch what i eat i have a food journal that i right down everything i eat wth calories and Proteins it seems too work i now down from 268 in jan to 239 now it is a good healthy wright los not too quick like everyone says the band is a tool its up to ypu to start eatind and exercising right julie

I started to write a post on exactly this subject the other day, then deleted it all because I knew what the answers were...that said, it's great to hear all the different experiences. I'm 4 and a half weeks post op and lost 9lbs the first week then two to three since. I keep a really careful note of what I eat and haven't cheated. My calorie intake averages around 1000 to 1100 a day. It worries me that I'm not losing more because i don't know how much less I can get away with eating even if I do get a fill.

I feel restriction as it is, especially in the morning and i find dry meat really hard to eat. Last night I was at an awards dinner and couldn't get the rubber chicken down at all! (I won the award by the way - Learning on Screen, Best TV programme 2004! If I can't brag here, where can I brag!!!)

Anyway, just thought I'd commiserate and say that I too feel scared that I'm going to be the one for whom this doesn't work. Loved the story about the size 4 woman though....really spurred me on. Can you imagine? Losing too much weight!!! That'll be the day.....