Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brigham and Women/Faulker Hospital

Hey everyone!!! I just saw this thread & glad I did. :thumbup: My name is Heidi, I'm 30 yrs old w/ 3 young daughters, & I live north of Boston. I've gone to the BWH for the info seminar, just met w/ Dr Vernon, & scheduled my upper GI, phyc, & nutritional app for this month. :angry: So, Dr. Vernon said as soon as I get those app. done she'll put the request into the insurance. She said that takes about 1-2 wks to get approval. After she get approval she'll give me "THE DATE" :biggrin:. I really liked Dr. Vernon. She made me feel comfortable. You can tell she's confident in what she does too. :mellow: Well, I'll keep you all posted! Congrats to everyone!

Oh yeah, can anyone tell me how long you waited after you did all testing to get surgery done? :blush:

Oh yeah, can anyone tell me how long you waited after you did all testing to get surgery done? :biggrin:

Heidi,

It all depends on how busy your surgeon is, how fast you get all the pre-op. testing done, and how long it takes for your insurance company to approve. I attended the informational session in October and was operated on in the beginning of December. I found Jennifer (she's Dr. Robinson's contact person--maybe Dr. Vernon's, too?) to be tremendously helpful. I explained that I wanted to make appointments as fast as possible. She even helped to schedule some on the same day, to avoid having to return to BWH. My insurance approval only took 1 day. In fact, Jennifer encouraged me to call her the very next day AND wasn't annoyed by my constant calls! I just wanted it done before the holidays. Dr. Robinson allowed me to set a date quickly because I lost the 20 pre-surgical pounds he required....every surgeon is different, but you can do this rather fast if you so choose. Good luck! :biggrin:

Yes, I just got all my pre-op appointment yesterday. Two are on AUG 11th & the other is AUG 25th. So, I'll be at them even if I have to walk lol!! Here's to hoping it all goes through quickly! :-)

Anyone planning on going to the support meeting on Monday, August 11th at the Faulkner? I'd really prefer not to re-arrange my schedule only to sit alone with Phyllis.... Please, please, come along with me! :thumbup:

so was you and Phyllis again? ha ha ha

I had a great excuse this month, but I will try for the next one

I wonder how the B+W meetings are? Anyone go to those?

Funny girl....

Actually, the woman who was pre-op and was having surgery in June was there. Initially it was just the two of us, but two other candidates showed up--one who I actually knew, but didn't have any idea might even consider having surgery. She had surgery with Dr. Robinson on Wednesday! The other was debating between GB and LapBand....

Nothing too exciting, but not a bad meeting. It's Restaurant Week so I haven't been eating well, or maybe I should say I'm eating FAR too well.

How are you healing?? Was expecting a few more people at the meeting, but it was raining and it's August......maybe next month will be better!!

Hey everyone!

I just had my Upper GI & phyc done on aug.11th. It all went pretty smoothly. :) I'm getting excited & nervous! I find that if I start thinking about it too much I start to worry & wonder. I'm doing this though :) I know it's the only way I'll lose a large amount & KEEP it off.

So, I'll be going for my nutrition appointment Aug, 25th. Then Dr Vernon will put it in to insurance! :biggrin:

The phyc. appointment she told me the dr. likes us to go to a few meetings. So, I guess I should look into it.

Hiya Paige-

think postive next meeting will be better...esp since I will be there. he he he

The next Faulkner meeting is Monday Sept 8th. Can anyone else make it?

Finally I am starting to feel like myself. J It took a full 7 days this time around. (Side note for those who don’t know me,was just re-banded (8/05/08) due to a slippage and hiatal hernia. Its like being a newbie all over again.) Still on liquids….grrrrrrr.... but maybe can advance to mushies after my post-op on Monday?

~mel

Oh, I suppose I'll go, simply because Phyllis loves me...and no one else ever talks! :sad:

Glad to hear you're feeling better. I've gained a few pounds this week--it's Restaurant Week so it's not my fault. That, combined with the unfill are killing me. Oh, more time on the treadmill tonight!

By the way....not sure if you guys have noticed, and maybe a lot of people who are smaller than me have--but have you noticed that you can buy a size 16 or 18 in the Misses dept. instead of the Plus sizes, and they're MUCH cheaper?! In fact, you can even buy the exact same brands for less. Not fair. Went to Macy's and got 4 skorts and 2 pairs of capris for $22. The sale is amazing!!! (my little excitement for the day....):thumbup:

Oh, I suppose I'll go, simply because Phyllis loves me...and no one else ever talks! :frown:

Glad to hear you're feeling better. I've gained a few pounds this week--it's Restaurant Week so it's not my fault. That, combined with the unfill are killing me. Oh, more time on the treadmill tonight!

By the way....not sure if you guys have noticed, and maybe a lot of people who are smaller than me have--but have you noticed that you can buy a size 16 or 18 in the Misses dept. instead of the Plus sizes, and they're MUCH cheaper?! In fact, you can even buy the exact same brands for less. Not fair. Went to Macy's and got 4 skorts and 2 pairs of capris for $22. The sale is amazing!!! (my little excitement for the day....):blush:

yes I have noticed the price differences btw depts. but Ive also noticed that sometimes a Misses 16 wouldnt fit me but a Womens 16 would. :wink2: errrr

I thought it would be so much easier to shop when I lost weight but its actually HARDER bc I have to really hunt and fish for my size. Before I always knew where (plus size) I could and couldnt shop.

Anyone planning on going to the Faulkner on the 8th for the support group meeting?

Have a great Labor Day weekend! I'm back to work soon.... ;)

okay a bit of a change for the month of Sept: luv2teech7 and I are going to hit up the Brigham's support meeting to check it out (and bc I have a fill appt there). I so need a kick in the pants to get back to the gym and to lay off the ice cream. :)

Date: Tuesday Sept 16th, 6:00pm @ Carrie Hall (end of the PIKE) 15 Francis St. Meeting is open to everyone!

last night was the best meeting Ive been to so far. Hope we didnt scare off any of the pre-ops. :)

I know luv2teech7 was a bit shocked by the suprise "guest" in the conference room last night. he he he he

Looks like next month a few folks will be missing at the Brigham...maybe switch back to the Faulkner for Oct?

Hey everyone!!! I'm so excited!!! :cool2:

They called me the other day & said I was approved!!!!! my date is SEPT 25 th!!!!! :) They kinda blind sided me but I said I'll take it!!!!! :mellow:

Now I'm worried I gained some weight. Dr Vernon only wanted me to lose 5lbs {just so you don't gain she said}. I started pre opp diet today & I slipped a bit already! I gotta do better!