Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brigham and Women/Faulker Hospital

First of all... HELLO CAROL!!!! How are you??? I wondered what happened to you. I haven't seen you on here since your surgery! I was getting kind of worried! I am so glad you have returned and are okay. Secondly- Paige you are right. My fear of seeing Dr. R really comes down to me and my own embarrassment for having gained a couple pounds and the fact he ultimately called me out on it. Really, i'm disappointed in myself. I can't believe I went through all this and have fallen back into my old patterns or at least leaning in that direction... I'm stuck between having lost 65-70 pounds (that of course includes weight lost before surgery). I can't get past the 70 mark. I of course have a million excuses... work too much, went through a break up... but really I need to make myself accountable. I could be doing things differently. For starters I need to re-read the lap band information i got and get back on track with my portion sizes and eat more Protein. And go to the gym. Carol I have either 8.5 or 9 CCs in my band. I go back and forth about whether to get .5CCs removed. I am not sure if I am a bit tight or if I am not eating slow enough and not chewing enough. Some days it can be hard to get anything to go down. And certainly, eating out with friends is no longer fun. I think I must feel pressured to keep up with them and eat faster (even though I try to go slow) BUT of course it never works out. I must get a look on my face because they can always tell when I need to make a quick exit to the bathroom. Each time I tell myself "get the soup" but I don't. I need help around what to actually cook.... actual recipes (if anyone has any they want to share...). Spoke with the nutritionist and she directed me to Cooking light magazine. I am going to check that out. I tend to eat a lot of salads because I have trouble cooking chicken or steak... And now I am cooking for one so that has been an adjustment... here I go again with the excuses. Ugh.

First of all... HELLO CAROL!!!! How are you??? I wondered what happened to you. I haven't seen you on here since your surgery! I was getting kind of worried! I am so glad you have returned and are okay. Secondly- Paige you are right. My fear of seeing Dr. R really comes down to me and my own embarrassment for having gained a couple pounds and the fact he ultimately called me out on it. Really, i'm disappointed in myself. I can't believe I went through all this and have fallen back into my old patterns or at least leaning in that direction... I'm stuck between having lost 65-70 pounds (that of course includes weight lost before surgery). I can't get past the 70 mark. I of course have a million excuses... work too much, went through a break up... but really I need to make myself accountable. I could be doing things differently. For starters I need to re-read the lap band information i got and get back on track with my portion sizes and eat more Protein. And go to the gym. Carol I have either 8.5 or 9 CCs in my band. I go back and forth about whether to get .5CCs removed. I am not sure if I am a bit tight or if I am not eating slow enough and not chewing enough. Some days it can be hard to get anything to go down. And certainly, eating out with friends is no longer fun. I think I must feel pressured to keep up with them and eat faster (even though I try to go slow) BUT of course it never works out. I must get a look on my face because they can always tell when I need to make a quick exit to the bathroom. Each time I tell myself "get the soup" but I don't. I need help around what to actually cook.... actual recipes (if anyone has any they want to share...). Spoke with the nutritionist and she directed me to Cooking light magazine. I am going to check that out. I tend to eat a lot of salads because I have trouble cooking chicken or steak... And now I am cooking for one so that has been an adjustment... here I go again with the excuses. Ugh.

Hi Jen,

I was ashamed and angry with myself. I think you should be very proud of yourself with your weight loss. It's just a platea. And I think we

all need to review our info again.

I don't feel ANY restriction AT ALL. I have never lost it or been stuck. I have felt very uncomfortable but, not enought to stop me from eating. I want to feel something!! I too think I need more protein & Water. but then I'm constantly constipated. This week I started to juice, that helps alot. I also asked my husband to not let me know when he brings junk food and sweets in the house. But tonight he ate a pint of Haigen Das in front of me. Yikes!!

I need to talk with all of you more, to help me get going in the right direction again.

Carol,

Remember that the initial purpose of the band isn't to FEEL restriction, but to make you less hungry---not head hungry, but physical hunger. When you constantly seek to have restriction from that outside source, you could jeopardize yourself and your band. (as I undoubtedly did....)

Jennifer,

I went through a really difficult time about a year and a half post banding. I completely relate to what you are going through. I'm sorry you're dealing with a break up---I know how disappointing it can be---and daunting to consider dating with this band, too! Just remember how much BETTER dating will be at -70 pounds..... The best part of the band is that it is keeping you from gaining the weight you likely would have if not for having it. It's a tool that will be there when you're ready to get back on track. Stop putting pressure on yourself. Realize that some days are better than others and there are bound to be set backs. Anyone who tells you that this is about losing constantly is not being honest. We're human and we have life issues. We wouldn't be in this predicament if eating didn't provide us comfort. Think about getting back on track one behavior at a time---portion size, diet, Water, and exercise. To make all changes at once and expect perfection is not only setting you for failure, but you're more likely to resent it.

Ladies, if nothing else, I've come to re-appreciate how much I need you all!!! Thank you for being here for me and for helping me through this seemingly impossible rough patch. I'm still in PT for my healing foot surgery so I can't make it next week. I hope to be at the meeting in June, when life becomes routine once again. Be well. Have a good week, and thanks again!!! :)

Carol,

Remember that the initial purpose of the band isn't to FEEL restriction, but to make you less hungry---not head hungry, but physical hunger. When you constantly seek to have restriction from that outside source, you could jeopardize yourself and your band. (as I undoubtedly did....)

Jennifer,

I went through a really difficult time about a year and a half post banding. I completely relate to what you are going through. I'm sorry you're dealing with a break up---I know how disappointing it can be---and daunting to consider dating with this band, too! Just remember how much BETTER dating will be at -70 pounds..... The best part of the band is that it is keeping you from gaining the weight you likely would have if not for having it. It's a tool that will be there when you're ready to get back on track. Stop putting pressure on yourself. Realize that some days are better than others and there are bound to be set backs. Anyone who tells you that this is about losing constantly is not being honest. We're human and we have life issues. We wouldn't be in this predicament if eating didn't provide us comfort. Think about getting back on track one behavior at a time---portion size, diet, Water, and exercise. To make all changes at once and expect perfection is not only setting you for failure, but you're more likely to resent it.

Ladies, if nothing else, I've come to re-appreciate how much I need you all!!! Thank you for being here for me and for helping me through this seemingly impossible rough patch. I'm still in PT for my healing foot surgery so I can't make it next week. I hope to be at the meeting in June, when life becomes routine once again. Be well. Have a good week, and thanks again!!! :)

What day is the support group? Thanks

Hi Ladies! I miss you all!!! And like Paige said above,I too need the support of you guys.

First off Paige I am so glad your re-buckle surgery went okay .Did they do anything other than clamp it, like put in sutures? if they didnt would your recovery be faster? Will you have to be on the regular post op diet progression? I will need to talk to you before I go for my outpatient surgery for some advice on post op anti nausea meds

Carol Im so sorry to hear about your injury, I hope you are on the road to healing and that is most important right now. :)

Tova I havent seen you in forever! How are you doing?

Jennifer you and I have had similar weight loss and journey. But bc I have a surgeon who likes to see her patients Ive had WAY more fills and unfills than is probably normal. Most of the time I dont think it has done much good. But I do get temp hunger suppression. I think Im up to about 20 sticks over the past 3 yrs. Crazy I know. I think I could have more fill in my band and I may go back for a tweek but I know I would do better if I ate slower and took smaller bites. Do you use things like gravy and sauces to get the Protein down? They call it food lube, or mixing textures, crackers with your protein? I can almost always eat chicken salad (its the mayo) but heaven help me if there is too much celery in there. Always have an issue with stupid Lean Cuisines, the meats are too touch and the stupid skin on the veggies make me pb , but I have a habit of buying them. Like Paige said we rely on the restriction, but this never works out in the long run...we end up too tight or eating the wrong foods.

The next Faulkner meeting is Monday the 9th and the Brigham meeting is Tuesday May 17. I cant make Mondays meeting bc of a Dr appt but please go if you can! I cant stress enough how much these meeting have helped me.

I also won't be able to go to the meeting this month- I picked up a shift as a favor at the ER (my side job). I definitely will make it in June though. It really is nice to have all the support and to have people to talk to. None of my friends or family really understand... and then of course I have my mom harrassing me every two seconds about whether or not i've lost any more weight. Of course she means well and (I think) is trying to encourage me, but I really just can't stand it. I'm in my 30's for christ sakes! Lay off lady! LOL. I'm just a tad bitter. Hahaha. Anyways, I use to have all the support group dates programed into my old phone... I forgot to enter them into my new one. I am entering the dates in right now so that I no longer forget!

Hi Ladies! I miss you all!!! And like Paige said above,I too need the support of you guys.

First off Paige I am so glad your re-buckle surgery went okay .Did they do anything other than clamp it, like put in sutures? if they didnt would your recovery be faster? Will you have to be on the regular post op diet progression? I will need to talk to you before I go for my outpatient surgery for some advice on post op anti nausea meds

Carol Im so sorry to hear about your injury, I hope you are on the road to healing and that is most important right now. :)

Tova I havent seen you in forever! How are you doing?

Jennifer you and I have had similar weight loss and journey. But bc I have a surgeon who likes to see her patients Ive had WAY more fills and unfills than is probably normal. Most of the time I dont think it has done much good. But I do get temp hunger suppression. I think Im up to about 20 sticks over the past 3 yrs. Crazy I know. I think I could have more fill in my band and I may go back for a tweek but I know I would do better if I ate slower and took smaller bites. Do you use things like gravy and sauces to get the Protein down? They call it food lube, or mixing textures, crackers with your protein? I can almost always eat chicken salad (its the mayo) but heaven help me if there is too much celery in there. Always have an issue with stupid Lean Cuisines, the meats are too touch and the stupid skin on the veggies make me pb , but I have a habit of buying them. Like Paige said we rely on the restriction, but this never works out in the long run...we end up too tight or eating the wrong foods.

The next Faulkner meeting is Monday the 9th and the Brigham meeting is Tuesday May 17. I cant make Mondays meeting bc of a Dr appt but please go if you can! I cant stress enough how much these meeting have helped me.

RIght now I feel like I am dong really well. It must be the good weather. This past month I have been walk/running 5 times a week and am back at the gym 2 times a week. My weight is finally going slowly down. Still get a little reflux and tightness - especially in the morning, but I am working hard on my food intake and not eating after 6pm which helps

I am trying to stay positive and definitely realize that it is all up to me and my attitude.

thanks for thinking about me - I am going to try to come this Monday. I will not be able to make it in June, my daughter graduates that night.

Tova

CAN SOMEONE LET ME KNOW THE TIME FOR MONDAYS MEETING I WOULD LIKE TO ATTEND, IT WILL BE MY FIRST TIME?

Hi, The meeting is 6-7:30pm in the waiting room. I hope to attend on Mon after a long absence. I look forward to meeting you!!

Hi, The meeting is 6-7:30pm in the waiting room. I hope to attend on Mon after a long absence. I look forward to meeting you!!

Tova hun be careful with the heartburn. I just had a scare when I went to an ENT and they looked (up my nose and) down my throat and said I had redness in my windpipe and vocal cords. I was like "what"? I havent felt a thing, only irriation I could think of would be from some pbing. Gave me a hand out on reflux and GERD. I went right on Prolsec for a week and liquids. Scared me I tell you. One thing it did say on the sheet was to try liquid actacids like Maalox or Mylanta, 1table spoon after meals, 2tablespoons before bed.

Its great to see everyone posting again! :)

~Mel

Lapband Support meetings: 6-7:30pm

May 2011: Faulkner Monday May 8, Brigham; Tuesday May 17th. Suite 4420 (waiting room of Dr clinic)

June 2011: Faulkner Monday June 13, Brigham; Tuesday June 21 (Carrie Hall???)

Faulkner is this coming Monday. I won't be there, but hope to make it in June! :)

May 2011: Faulkner Monday May 9th!!

It is the 9th! I suck at posting. :) I should just send you the meeting hand out since I scanned it and you can do the posting. Ha ha ha

Tova hun be careful with the heartburn. I just had a scare when I went to an ENT and they looked (up my nose and) down my throat and said I had redness in my windpipe and vocal cords. I was like "what"? I havent felt a thing, only irriation I could think of would be from some pbing. Gave me a hand out on reflux and GERD. I went right on Prolsec for a week and liquids. Scared me I tell you. One thing it did say on the sheet was to try liquid actacids like Maalox or Mylanta, 1table spoon after meals, 2tablespoons before bed.

Its great to see everyone posting again! :)

~Mel

May 2011: Faulkner Monday May 8, Brigham; Tuesday May 17th. Suite 4420 (waiting room of Dr clinic)

June 2011: Faulkner Monday June 13, Brigham; Tuesday June 21 (Carrie Hall???)

I am taking prilosec and have taken liquid antacids. I am really trying to be very careful - its been tough going - had esophagal enlargement a year ago.

I know that when I am focused and plan out my eating I dont have any problems - again it is all up to me!!!!!

Tova