Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brigham and Women/Faulker Hospital

Hey, all---been a month. I'm struggling. I have an appointment with Dr. R on the 24th. If I've gained weight, he will not "re-clamp" my band.....are ya kidding me?! I've had this hardware for 3+ years and you won't allow me to have it again if I can't maintain without it?! So....working hard with journaling my intake, focusing on eating well and doing all of those things I thought I had internalized 3 years ago.....evidently I did not. Who is in for the next meeting? Happy New Year! :)

[/quote

Notateechanow -

That's nuts "If I've gained weight he will not reclamp my band". Just show him by going in with a good weigh in.

I've had all Fluid out since 11/5 and happy to say I've gained only 1 pound. Hope to get rid of that pound soon.

I'm sure it's not mathematically correct, but I think anything less than 5 pounds gain is not a gain at all! :)

Take care.

Sue

Thanks, Sue---and I totally agree. Fortunately, I was "up" last fall when he last weighed me. I was never weighed when I was hospitalized, so he was shocked that my post-surgical (unclamping of my band) weight was actually 5 pounds LESS than it was in October. SO...that weight was still more than I usually weigh---but more than 5 pounds lower than where I am now. No worries. I will make this work! I'll just have to work my a$$ off, literally and figuratively, for the next few weeks. :)

Hi Everyone! Hope you all are doing well. I just realized I haven't been on this site since mid November! Looking back at my last post, I am happy to report things have been going much better. After all my complaining about the band not working blah blah blah, I ended up seeing Dr. R like a week later and had actually lost 7 pounds! I seem to go through phases where I am convinced I have either gained weight or haven't lost any and then the next day think I can see a difference. Maybe I am just self-conscious or anxious... I don't know. BUT what I do know is the last few months I have been losing and just hit 60 pounds!!! I am actually very close to hitting the half way mark in terms of my overall weight loss goals. Hopefully I can keep my motivation up. I want to. But, it can get pretty hard sometimes. When is the next group? Is it on February 14th? Anyone going? I haven't been to group the last few months (life has gotten in the way) and only have last years schedule. Take Care everyone!!!

I went to the support meeting tonight at the Faulkners. I twas a very small group - two other people besides me. I didnt know this before, but Phyllis is not here anymore, there was another nutritionist. She seemed every nice.

Tova

I went to the support meeting tonight at the Faulkners. I twas a very small group - two other people besides me. I didnt know this before, but Phyllis is not here anymore, there was another nutritionist. She seemed every nice.

Tova

OMG---No Phyllis??!! Just wanted to tell you all---even though I'm in band hell (my band was NOT re-clamped and because I've gained weight since Dr. R Un-clamped it in November [not shocking!] and I can't get a date til I've lost weight...) I had foot surgery again today. Totally different experience from the last time. I had it done at the Faulkner again. This time my post-op care nurse HAS a band!! He was awesome. Granted, no bad side effects from any of the drugs this time. I was so sick last time. I tried to convince the nurse to come to the group because I think it's great to have a medical perspective, but also because he's more than a year out and has never attended. To say the very least, I'm happy with my foot, but discouraged by this band. Trying my best to make this go in the right direction. Hoping to make it to the March meeting. If nothing else, I do have a schedule. Hope you all had a good Valentine's Day! I miss all of you. Been forever!!!! :)

Ok---I hate the new format of this website. I couldn't find this thread to save my life and wonder if that's why no one (Other than me!) seems to come on here any more! I'm 3.5 weeks post op for my foot. I can't believe how much faster/better I've healed this time around---and can't help but think about the nutritional implications of having a band. Mine still hasn't been "re-clamped".

Went to see Dr. R again yesterday. Finally made wait. I finally have come to realize that EVERY visit I have with him, I'm more confused by what he says....and it's no longer my fault. He initially arrived and asked if I had come for a fill. Maybe he should start working to read a patient's file before entering the exam room?! It was just odd---so I made weight. I lost enough for them to re-submit to my insurance company. Mind you--I have all of the hardware still in me. Seems simple enough. He made a comment about how I "already was assigned a surgery date" but must have forgotten he told me I had to lose weight or he wouldn't do it. I was scheduled to go in 2 weeks ago and canceled when I thought I might not make weight. Was scheduled for surgery tomorrow, but was canceled when I canceled weigh in. This whole experience has me shaking my head---and I don't know if I have even explained it clearly because I don't understand any of it. Here's my one big question---I'm waiting for them to submit for insurance and for my new surgery date.

Do any of you remember if I have to see HIM again before surgery? GOD, I hope not---but not just because talking with him is exasperating, but because I can't possibly not gain weight if I'm a few months out from surgery again. If I was honest with all of you and told you what I had to do to make weight this time, you'd be horrified.....but you've gotta do what you've gotta do. If he didn't hold me to this odd standard, I wouldn't have been forced to do it. Sad thing is, I'm still well within their "40 to 60% of excess body weight lost" category yet nearly couldn't have surgery again if I couldn't drop at least 5 pounds. Yep. 3+ years out. Even with my weight gain, I'm at 58% excess body weight lost. AND yet Dr. R wasn't sure I'd be able to have the stupid thing re-clamped if I couldn't drop 5-10 pounds to SHRINK my effing liver. I'm guessing my liver is far smaller NOW than it was when he did the original surgery and I weighed over 300 pounds. So....I'm confused. I'm annoyed that my life has been on hold since Thanksgiving. I don't want to have to agonize that I'll be weighed in again before I finally have surgery. I'm waiting for my phone to ring. Let's hope they're prompt!!!

How are the rest of you? When is the next meeting????

I really feel bad that you are going through such hardships. I wonder if you could get a clearer answer if you would just speak to the person who coordinates the surgery date - I remember by me it was Jennifer, but I dont know who does it now. You have come so far - dont let his forgetfulness break you!!!!

Missed you yesterday at the meeting - only 4 of us were there.

Tova

starting a new thread for anyone who has or is considering surgery thru the Brigham/Falkner program.

~Mel

surgery 11/13/07 Dr Vernon

-35lbs

Hi,

Mel I also had Dr Vernon, in 2008, havnt had a fill in almost 2 yrs now, still have problem some days etting certain foods down and I get alot of heart burn feelings which I never had b-4, Im also wondering if it had moved but I dont want to go, cause if they take some out im afaid i will eat and gain so have been living on the tums!

take care,

Mona

Hi,

Mel I also had Dr Vernon, in 2008, havnt had a fill in almost 2 yrs now, still have problem some days etting certain foods down and I get alot of heart burn feelings which I never had b-4, Im also wondering if it had moved but I dont want to go, cause if they take some out im afaid i will eat and gain so have been living on the tums!

take care,

Mona

Tova

Hi all,

I haven't been on here forever - years. After reading some of your recent troubles, I just had to chime in. I've ben struggling for at least 18 months or so with even feeling like I have a band - nevertheless losing any weight. I'm terrified to weigh myself and feel like I'm at the weight I started at, not that I ever lost more than 30 lbs. I had Dr. Tavakoli do my surgery and have no idea if he's still there.

Have recently been thinking how to get back on the "band-wagon" and re-dedicate myself, as my daughter's bat mitzvah is 20 months away and wouldn't it be nice to be down 100 lbs by then - very doable as that's just 5 lbs/month. However, although I am often hungry, eating way more junk than I should, I still have regular PB issues and still can barely eat any good veggies and struggle with salad. The shakes are so difficult for me to do because I never feel satisfied with them. I am definately an emotional eater and eating for all the wrong reasons. I also have a difficult to find/fill port and am super sensitive to any fill - usually resulting in just more PBing...ugh!!

Anyone have any inspiration/ideas to share with me? When's the next group meeting? I never had any luck with the nutritionists there as all their advice didn't really work for me - but I need to try again as my kids are giving me too much grief, I feel lousy and my husband just ignores my night time binging - all not good!!

Thanks so much, Merle