Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brigham and Women/Faulker Hospital

Hi all,

I haven't been on here forever - years. After reading some of your recent troubles, I just had to chime in. I've ben struggling for at least 18 months or so with even feeling like I have a band - nevertheless losing any weight. I'm terrified to weigh myself and feel like I'm at the weight I started at, not that I ever lost more than 30 lbs. I had Dr. Tavakoli do my surgery and have no idea if he's still there.

Have recently been thinking how to get back on the "band-wagon" and re-dedicate myself, as my daughter's bat mitzvah is 20 months away and wouldn't it be nice to be down 100 lbs by then - very doable as that's just 5 lbs/month. However, although I am often hungry, eating way more junk than I should, I still have regular PB issues and still can barely eat any good veggies and struggle with salad. The shakes are so difficult for me to do because I never feel satisfied with them. I am definately an emotional eater and eating for all the wrong reasons. I also have a difficult to find/fill port and am super sensitive to any fill - usually resulting in just more PBing...ugh!!

Anyone have any inspiration/ideas to share with me? When's the next group meeting? I never had any luck with the nutritionists there as all their advice didn't really work for me - but I need to try again as my kids are giving me too much grief, I feel lousy and my husband just ignores my night time binging - all not good!!

Thanks so much, Merle

Hello,

Merle I hear ya, I still have PB problems, some days I can eat better than others, I used to eat salads all the time b-4 banding, but now I have trouble with them, and veggies too! Seems like the junk food like Cookies go down better!! When I go out for dinner I have to make sure I know where the restrooms are. I have never been to a meeting but I would like to go to one. Im also wondering if my band moved a bit, because i get heartburn alot which I never did b-4, i have been taking tums on a daily basis now. Just a little afraid to go cause I dont want them to take it all out, but maybe next mo. I will go and have them check it out.

Hope to meet you at a meeting sometime.

Mona

Thanks Mona,

I hear ya on the restroom issue while dining out. I also am a quick eater, and with kids at the table, the Agida factor tends to go up alot - and I just eat quickly to be done - not a good combination of stress and eating. I continue to work on it, often walking away they start up - but it's not the only cause of all the PBing.

Trying to start over and find my will power and inspiration again - so much harder the 2nd time around!! merle

Hello,

Merle I hear ya, I still have PB problems, some days I can eat better than others, I used to eat salads all the time b-4 banding, but now I have trouble with them, and veggies too! Seems like the junk food like Cookies go down better!! When I go out for dinner I have to make sure I know where the restrooms are. I have never been to a meeting but I would like to go to one. Im also wondering if my band moved a bit, because i get heartburn alot which I never did b-4, i have been taking tums on a daily basis now. Just a little afraid to go cause I dont want them to take it all out, but maybe next mo. I will go and have them check it out.

Hope to meet you at a meeting sometime.

Mona

Dont push off having a small unfill - since the longer a problem persists it can cause you to have a full unfill with complications. That is what I went through last year and am still working hard on loosing the weight I gained because of it and getting back to a proper eating pattern.

Tova

call the office they can tell you - I think its the second Monday of the month, but I could be wrong

Tova

Do you know the dates and times of up coming meetings I would like to attend to one?

Thanks

Hi all,

I am sorry to change the topic but I have a question. I am getting banded April 6th by Dr. Robinson and I was wondering if he performs any tests on you right before surgery to see if you are a smoker? I made the stupid mistake of smoking five cigarettes these past two days. I guess I was so stressed out with the liquid diet and nervous about the surgery. Do they do a urine test or check anything to see if you are in fact a smoker? Will this hinder my surgery date? I am not a smoker, and I can't believe I made this stupid mistake. Any help would be great. Thanks.

The reason they don't want you to smoke is because it hinders your body's ability to heal. It won't kill you, but try to get back on track. Keep your hands busy doing other things---reading, washing dishes, etc. I remember vividly how difficult the liquid diet is. It gets easier, but it is definitely a challenge for the next few weeks. Good news is that this isn't forever....it gets easier. Good luck!

Is anyone attending the support meeting tonight at the Faulkner?

Is anyone attending the support meeting tonight at the Faulkner?

Hi everyone! Sorry I haven't been around. My life has been really hectic these past few months, a family member passed away in January and in addition Ive been helping to take care of my elderly grandmother. Because of this I haven't been going to the gym nor watching my food intake at all. :( Ive gained a few pounds and that is adding to the 12lbs Ive gained in the past year. I really want to get back on track but like a lot of you I am not sure if I need a fill. I can eat most things things but I have trouble with soft (not crunchy) veggies (like skins on tomatoes) and touch chewy meats. Of course the junk, Cookies, chips etc all go down just fine.

My last few fills I only asked small amounts (.1cc) because Ive been so scared of being too tight. My fill level is still lower when I was unfilled months ago. At my last appt Dr V commented that she didnt feel any tension in the syringe, so there isnt much tightness in my band. I could be happy with this level of restriction, its liveable but I will never lose these last 30lbs.

Suppose this posting is more for myself, and I know I need to relearn now to eat again, Protein first, small bites, chew chew chew, stop when not hungry anymore.

To those who are having heartburn, it is NOT I repeat NOT normal. You shouldnt have to live that that. Talk to your Dr about about it,dont be afraid to get a small unfill. Even having .25 taken out will help. I KNOW Ive been there. Lived on the Tums, Prolosec, and Zantac and was miserable, never mind it can cause serious harm.

I will try to online more often and I REALLY want to attend the next support meeting. I hope others are interested as well.

Hey Mel!

I've been having a tough time as well. If you're going to a meeting let me know the date/time and I will try to be there as well! would be good to see you all again!

Hey Mel!

I've been having a tough time as well. If you're going to a meeting let me know the date/time and I will try to be there as well! would be good to see you all again!

Just walked in from what I "think" is my last pre-surgical meeting....but with the way things have gone for me since Thanksgiving with Dr. R, I never know.....I'm scheduled for the anesthesiologist next week and surgery on the 27th. I'm hoping this time things go as I've planned. I noticed the posting about last night's meeting after it happened. I'll go when you guys go!! I miss seeing all of you and I want control over my eating and my life back. After living for 3 years with my band, the past 5 months have been absolute hell. I now understand why the people who need to be unbanded are bitter. I recognize that the underlying reasons for my obesity are still there, though latent for a few years. Hidden well by my working out incessantly and eating very little, but nonetheless, still all there!

Jay, you'll appreciate that I've been on the pre-op diet for 4 weeks now. Dr. R kept sending me home to lose weight.....thought I was gonna die. Seriously, I wouldn't have this band if not for needing it. I assure you, if I could lose weight without it, I would. I didn't think surgery was just something fun to try! Even WITH my weight gain, I've still maintained 55% of my excess body weight lost.....so I wasn't very nice the last few times he gave me a hard time. This time I even accidently swore when defending myself. With as far as I've come in the past few years, I'll be damned if some man with a few degrees more than me is gonna make me think I'm a complete effing failure. So....I miss you guys. Need my old life back and need to drop a few so I can go wedding dress shopping. My life has been on hold for 5 months and I want it back.....

I recognize that the underlying reasons for my obesity are still there, though latent for a few years. Hidden well by my working out incessantly and eating very little, but nonetheless, still all there!

I've come to the same realization especially with all the stress Ive been under, the band helped me to some extend but it didnt solve my issues.

Glad you got your surgery date Nota and yes Jay we need to have a meeting.

I'm confused about what surgery you're having. i thought you already had your foot surgery.

Mel, definitely!

I'm confused about what surgery you're having. i thought you already had your foot surgery.

Mel, definitely!

Jay,

My band was 'unclamped' after a horrific slip on Thanksgiving. Emergency surgery 3 days later. 6 days of no eating, drinking, or even ice chips. They used my feet for iv's because I was so dehydrated. Was @ Faulkner for just under a week. Been a living hell since then. Dr. R told me it would be "quick" to fix...which I thought meant it would be repaired at Christmas or January at latest, but he kept putting me off because I gained weight. Duh. So I have all of the hardware still in place, but I have to have it re-clamped in 2 weeks. He may replace the band, too. We'll see.