Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brigham and Women/Faulker Hospital

Wow, that sounds awful and I'm surprised I missed the harrowing tale. i myself need a fill but don't want to go see Dr. R because last time i went he lectured me about gaining weight. Oh well.

Wow, that sounds awful and I'm surprised I missed the harrowing tale. i myself need a fill but don't want to go see Dr. R because last time i went he lectured me about gaining weight. Oh well.

Today I stood up for myself. I explained that I chose this route and that I'm looking for support not sh/t. Enough is enough. I need this...and you likely do, too. Do what's best for you. The lecture is only as effective as you let it be. :)

I think he was dumbfounded when I accidentally dropped the "f" bomb. :) Not nearly as bad as when I cried that time, though! I finally told him that if he wasn't going to be supportive, I'd find another surgeon who could/would be. I pay for his service. I should get the service I want, unless it's medically unsafe. I assure you that I'm far healthier now than I was at over 300 pounds. Enough is enough. I'm done with feeling like a failure.

Hi everyone.

Haven't been on here in a LOOOONG time! Feeling like a huge failure myself. I'm almost back to the weight I was on surgery day! As Paige said in a previous post, I too am now starting to come to terms with the reasons I am overweight and my issues with food are my main problem. I have this thing in me and I can still eat large amounts of food.

My health insurance changed in feb and I can no longer see Dr. Robinson, not that I got much help from them anyway. So I'm looking forward to meeting my new doctor next month and hopefully starting fresh!

Paige how did it feel when your band slipped? Was it painful, could you tell right away?

Good luck with your surgery.

Hope everyone is doing well besides the struggles of the band.

Sandy :)

Hi everyone! Sorry I haven't been around. My life has been really hectic these past few months, a family member passed away in January and in addition Ive been helping to take care of my elderly grandmother. Because of this I haven't been going to the gym nor watching my food intake at all. :( Ive gained a few pounds and that is adding to the 12lbs Ive gained in the past year. I really want to get back on track but like a lot of you I am not sure if I need a fill. I can eat most things things but I have trouble with soft (not crunchy) veggies (like skins on tomatoes) and touch chewy meats. Of course the junk, Cookies, chips etc all go down just fine.

My last few fills I only asked small amounts (.1cc) because Ive been so scared of being too tight. My fill level is still lower when I was unfilled months ago. At my last appt Dr V commented that she didnt feel any tension in the syringe, so there isnt much tightness in my band. I could be happy with this level of restriction, its liveable but I will never lose these last 30lbs.

Suppose this posting is more for myself, and I know I need to relearn now to eat again, Protein first, small bites, chew chew chew, stop when not hungry anymore.

To those who are having heartburn, it is NOT I repeat NOT normal. You shouldnt have to live that that. Talk to your Dr about about it,dont be afraid to get a small unfill. Even having .25 taken out will help. I KNOW Ive been there. Lived on the Tums, Prolosec, and Zantac and was miserable, never mind it can cause serious harm.

I will try to online more often and I REALLY want to attend the next support meeting. I hope others are interested as well.

I hear ya, I was banded back in Oct 07 as well, I have been gaining a few pounds for thae past 6mos., and I get heartburn which I never had b-4, I have been living on tums. I think I may of been a little to tihgt for a while now, but the past week I seem to be getting more hungry than ever b-4, so not sure if I now need a little fill, but I have good and bad days of food going down, I havt had a fill in 2 yrs. I guess maybe I should go in and see her, but I dont want her to take it all out then I will gain the wht.

I think he was dumbfounded when I accidentally dropped the "f" bomb. :) Not nearly as bad as when I cried that time, though! I finally told him that if he wasn't going to be supportive, I'd find another surgeon who could/would be. I pay for his service. I should get the service I want, unless it's medically unsafe. I assure you that I'm far healthier now than I was at over 300 pounds. Enough is enough. I'm done with feeling like a failure.

I couldn't help but laugh when you mentioned "dropping the f bomb" to Dr. Robinson. I recently was banded and he is a good surgeon and very nice but IMO, very conservative/professional . Good luck on everything!

I couldn't help but laugh when you mentioned "dropping the f bomb" to Dr. Robinson. I recently was banded and he is a good surgeon and very nice but IMO, very conservative/professional . Good luck on everything!

"conservative"?! That's putting it lightly. I think he's on the spectrum. Don't get me wrong--he's a very skilled surgeon. He's operated on me twice in 3 years. This will be my 3rd surgery with him. I wouldn't be going back if I didn't trust his ability. HOWEVER, I didn't choose him based on personality. blink.gif

"conservative"?! That's putting it lightly. I think he's on the spectrum. Don't get me wrong--he's a very skilled surgeon. He's operated on me twice in 3 years. This will be my 3rd surgery with him. I wouldn't be going back if I didn't trust his ability. HOWEVER, I didn't choose him based on personality. blink.gif

Yes-I was trying to put it nicely. I always thought he didn't like me because of my young age. I was going to change doctors but he is a skilled surgeon despite his..personality. The funny thing is all the other professionals I have seen seem to love him!laugh.gif

I'm BAAAAACCCCCKKKKK. Yep. Re-buckled. Re-banded. OH, and in pain. Totally forgot about this part. Had my surgery on Wednesday. Because last fall went so easily (surgery to unbuckle) I went ahead and planned to be at work on Thursday night, knowing I bounce back from anesthesia pretty well....

So.....had a nightmare roommate and once again remember why I prefer the Faulkner over the Brigham. Private rooms. That's all anyone needs to know. There's nothing more challenging than "rooming" with someone who orders up a storm of food or whose bells and whistles go off all night long to make a hospital stay miserable.

I gained over 8 pounds of what I can only assume is fluids while in the hospital. It's been 3 days since surgery and I still feel as though I've swallowed a martian.

I'm excited and relieved to be headed back down the scale. I took for granted how easy this was the first time---but it could have been my level of commitment or my complete ignorance, too. I never anticipated the intolerances and things I could never eat again. This time around I had a lot of "last meals" and things I knew I could never have again. It's been a huge emotional struggle this time because I'm trying to keep it all together while thinking about planning a wedding. I've finally decided to start dress shopping in the beginning of June. I know I'll never "just do it" if I don't commit to it.

I never considered 6 months ago that I'd be worried about losing weight again, rather than recuperating from the long planned Tummy Tuck and Lipo I paid for last fall...and never had. I'm no where I planned to be right now and trying to appreciate this journey for what it is intended to be.

This last surgery has absolutely reminded me of the parts of the journey I managed to block out of my memory. YET I'd still do it all over again...and again...and again. I want my life back. With every mile I log on the treadmill, I'm one step closer.

Hope you've all had a good spring holiday season. I'm hoping to make it to the next meeting. I know I need to be with all of you if I'm going to make this work. Hope to see you soon! :)

Glad to hear that you are on this side of the surgery already - its been a long wait!!!

I am sure that you will start feeling better soon. You are so driven and dedicated that I am sure you will start seeing the scale moving in the right direction!!!

Tova

I also have been avoiding Dr. R after getting a lecture from him for gaining half a pound. I left the office feeling like complete shit and haven't been back to see him since. Now, a few months later, I've gained a couple more pounds and am especially terrified to go back! LOL. I keep telling myself I will make an appointment after I loose the few pounds I put on. And of course I am unable to attend the group next monday. Damn. I need it. I really need to get back on track.

While I understand his frustration, this isn't about Dr. R. This is about you. If you need support, ask for it and get it. Please don't let this be yet another place where you feel that people are justified in putting you down. We teach people how to treat us. Teach him better. Tell him you understand his frustration, but that you feel and live it every day. No one went through this extensive process of having something surgically implanted to gain weight or be unsuccessful. If they need to redesign their program to include a behavioral component, then so be it....but please don't let him deter you from being where you want to be. :)

Hi

Hi Ladies,

Sorry I haven't been around. Paige, sorry you've had to go thru new surgeries. But You are back and that's what counts.

I fell off the wagon during the holidays and gained a few lbs. Then I suffered a compression fracture of my T-11 from advanced osteoperosis and was bed ridden all of Jan & Feb. I have been going to PT 3 times a week ever since. I have never endured such a crippling pain in my life. I didn't eat like a maniac, just all the wrong choices. I lost 35 lbs. total but, have gain all but 10 lbs. Talk about discouraged.

I have an appointment to See Dr. R an the dietician in 2 weeks. I dread facing him but I am starting all over again. If he gives me a scolding he won't like what he will get in return!!!! I am not going to beat myself up anymore. None of us went into multiple surgeries to intentionally FAIL!!

Jennifer, how many cc's of fill are you up to? I only have 9.25 and I'm sick of paying $350 for a .5cc fill. I want to feel restriction NOW! I am coming up to a year June 15th.

So what is the date of the next support group? May 9th at 6pm? I NEED to get support bad! How is the new dietician?

Thanks for listening to me rant!!