Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brigham and Women/Faulker Hospital

Congrats on your new band, Kath! I'm not sure about the Brigham, but I do know that the Faulkner's next meeting is on August 9th at 6:00.

Hope you guys are well. Had a disheartening experience that I intend to discuss with Dr. Robinson when I see him on the 9th. I had surgery AT THE FAULKNER last week on my foot. I opted to have it done there just in the very off chance there were any issues with the anesthesia and my band......but never really considered the post-op meds. I did tell my podiatrist that I was "banded" and would need pills I could split or liquid meds after my operation.....in the post-op/recovery, they couldn't split the pills. (Because they didn't HAVE a pill splitter!!!) No liquid meds available. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? I threw up for a good 3-4 hours post-op, leaving me in recovery far longer than I should have been. I knew I couldn't metabolize the anesthesia well during my Lap band, so I wasn't overly surprised...but seriously? I was so out of it, but thankfully did remember to tell them in my stupor that I couldn't take the freaking horse pills they kept trying to feed me. Needless to say.....I haven't been able to take any meds after this operation, either. I think it's appalling that the recovery room staff was so ignorant in a hospital where they perform OUR surgery!!!!! Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? It was a complete nightmare. Thank God I was able to articulate myself. What if I were incapacitated??? I know they'll eventually send me a survey, but really---who do I call about this? I was so upset by the time I went home....

What an awful experience, notateech!

I think, IMO, that it is up to the Band docs to inform the different teams performing various procedures about the band and what is acceptable for Bandsters. Sounds like poor communication between staff.

I would definitely inform Dr. R about it and perhaps he will pass the word to the Bariatric staff and on, so as to save those of us who have to have other procedures as well as yourself in the future.

I think it is just a lack of communication and informing the rest of the hospital about care of the LB recipient..

Not the patients' job IMO.

Going for a fill at the end of Aug after his vacation.

Wish me luck and a way to get 'unstuck'.(from being unable to move on the scale!)

Edited by singingintherain

oh geez I notateech I had NO idea you went thru all that. Horrible!!! Werent they able to give you anti nausa meds via IV in the PACU?

This should have been dealt with during your pre-op and with the anesthesiologist as they usually monitor the post op recovery. Did you have a meeting with them prior to your surgery? What did your surgeon say?

Good warning to any banded patient to never assume and tell every person you come in contact with what you need, and what types of meds work best for you.

Welcome Kath! I too am a patient of Dr V., banded Fall 2007.

B & W lapband meetings are the 3rd Tuesday of the month (Aug 17, Sept 21, Oct 19, Nov 16, Dec 21)

Faulkner lapband meetings are the 2nd Mondays of the month (Aug 9, Sept 13, Oct 18*, Nov 8, Dec 13)

Good news---I'm down almost 12 pounds. Back to where I like to be, but still signed up for a fill on the 9th.

Let me make something clear---I told EVERYONE I came in contact with about my Lap Band, starting with my podiatrist to the pre-op meetings with the PA AND the Anesthesiologist. I told EVERYONE who would listen that I have difficulty swallowing pills and that anti-inflammatories in general are dangerous for us. My surgeon prescribed a few meds before surgery---and they could be split. However, the antibiotics were capsules and are super hard to swallow. I'm a little over 8 days post-surgery and haven't been able to eat or swallow any pills yet....even the crushed ones come back. I realize now that I'm screwed--I need to lie with my leg above my heart and elevated, but that leaves me flat and gives me really bad reflux. It also washes any pills back up at me. So....I'm med free right now. It's not killing me, but I shouldn't have to be, and I shouldn't have had to deal with all of that crap. I am NOT happy with the Faulkner and will definitely address it when I'm there on the 9th. (I'll ask Dr. R who I should contact and will also speak with my surgeon next week when I go to get my sutures out.) Their care was simply abysmal. It was completely unacceptable and truly makes me wonder if I can trust them enough to do it again....

Perhaps you can try and call one of the docs and ask to have a liquid prescription delivered to a pharm and then delivered to you. ...or even liquid caps and squeeze the liquid in some juice or something.You should not have to go through this.

Sorry Paige that you had to go through all that. hope you are feeling better and will soon be back to yourself.

Since my full unfill I have had two fills and am up to 6cc. I was wondering - is it harder to loose the weight the second time around. The scale is not budging, I have almost no restricition and am beginning to frustrate!!!!!

Tova

That sounds absolutely AWFUL Paige... So sorry you are having to deal with that bullsh*t! What a nightmare. I am nervous because I may need to have surgery to have some adenomas removed from my liver in a few months... Jeeezzz. Keep us posted on how you make out! Hope you feel better soon.

Am planning on going to the August 9th meeting at the Faulkner. I have my first fill scheduled since 2009!!! Very excited. Anyone else planning on attending?

Hey there...notateech...what a horrible experience! I don't know what you could have done to rectify the situation, but as long as you are doing well with no meds...stick with it!

I am planning on going to the meeting...it will be the first in a long time. I went and met with Monica and liked her a lot...needed to be reminded of what to do to make the band work! Katie

Paige that stinks about the reflux have you tried liquid Mylanta or something to coat your stomach and throat? I worry that this will lead to to irritation and heartburn.

were you ever able to call your Dr or the PA and ask to switch meds? or maybe the antibiotic could be crushed and mixed with applesauce?

I will be at the meeting...doing well with working out but the night time hunger is bad. Hoping my fill next Tuesday will help as I have NO restriction and can eat almost everything.

I am planning on going to the meeting on the 9th. I actually am scheduled to get my second fill on the 10th. I am a bit nervous because I am use to having NO restriction... So I havent had to crush my pills (though I cut them in half anyways), still can drink during meals without issue (though I try to remind myself not to), havent vomitted or slimmed, and havent experienced any kind "stuck" feelings or food restriction. I have a feeling I am in for a rude awakening one of these days. I almost feel like I need a refresher course at this point. HaHaHa. Or make myself a cheat-cheat with reminders about what I can and can't do with the band. I know people have mentioned keeping a plastic bag in the car; just incase... any other survival tips people have found helpful?

Has anyone heard from Carol lately? She use to be very active in the forum and meetings...

Hey Everyone! It's been a while since I posted as summer has been a crazy time for me as it probably is for everyone else. In addition to work, I was away for 10 days in July and then have had 4 weddings and a bachelor party in the last 5 weeks and more on the horizon. So, I haven't really had the opportunity to chime in here on the board.

I am still kinda doing the couch to 5k workout. Although, after week 6 I just started running on my own. The podcast that I have breaks down the intervals and tells you when to run or walk. Problem is, after so many weeks, it is just running non-stop for 20-35 minutes. So, I just listen to my own music and off I go. I have completed the 5k on the treadmill twice so far but generally run 2 to 2.5 miles when go to the gym. The next goal for me is to start running outside and see how much of a setback I incur. I am sure that running outside is incredibly different than on a treadmill as I have to conquer uneven terrain, the unforgiving asphalt and the elements. So, I know it will get harder.

I broke through the 100 lb. barrier this weekend. Since my day of surgery on 3/3/2010 I am down 68 lbs. and since 11/9/2009, when I had my first consult with Dr. R and Phyllis, I am down 101 lbs. total with only 45 to reach my personal goal. So, one goal down and more to go.

I hope everyone is doing well and having a great summer! Take Care and Keep Kicking Butt!

Edited by BlueSamurai

Congratulations! You've done well to keep running despite your busy social life! When I was gearing up for my first 5K, I ran along the beach (because it was easy to figure out where 3.2 miles was by car....) for 2 or 3 weeks. I will admit, not the brightest solution. It was very flat and I'd have the wind at my back in at least one direction of my run. It still enabled me to see what it would be like to run on the asphalt, but it wasn't realistic. Many people prefer running outdoors to running on a treadmill---just not me. :cursing: If it's possible to run your course before the 5K, I'd strongly recommend it. That way you're fully prepared for any incline, decline, etc....also, something else to consider is the pace at which you'll be running and where you put yourself at the start. Somehow that never occurred to me....and I got right up front with my friends who run 8 minute miles. Yep....tried to avoid the throngs of people from behind me running me over by jumping up on the sidewalk and they just followed. I'm pretty sure that first entire mile I was just running to not be trampled. (Think running of the bulls....) The second 5K I ran was far more organized and larger and had us line up based on our time for a mile. I've learned....I get farther back, by the walkers, but be careful not to go too far back in the event they have those baby joggers. Invariably there's a few idiots who decide to run with the carriage (even though the rules forbid it in most...) and when it's crowded, they will inevitably hit your heels repeatedly with that stupid thing. Oh, the lessons I've learned!!! The last thing I never considered was jogging and drinking Water at the same time. For me, it didn't make sense to stop for water, so I decided to drink while jogging a little slower.....but it didn't go down so well. I've since been jogging and drinking on the treadmill so I won't make the mistake of gagging it all over the place again. Hope that helps!! When is your race?

Keep up the great work!!!

Congrats on your achievement Jay!

Blue that is amazing! Sounds like you are on the right path. Congrats

I finally got the restriction I was looking for with the last fill...now its back to relearning to eat slowly, chew, and take my time and watch out for difficult foods. No weight loss as of yet but with my new classes in belly dancing, meditation and yoga I feel fantastic!

Katie I am sending you an email with the name of the book I was talking about.