Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A 3-week post-op Cry for Help!

Hi there fellow Band-Stars,

I was banded 6th of march, I'm 3 weeks post-op. At the start everything was going well - I healed quickly, I was feelings great, no post-surgery pain, no hunger. Now I'm getting hungry and I have no restriction at all (until next week), and i'm starting to fall back into old habits. Like, "Oh, well, fries are a soft food... I can just have some fries.... if my quantities are small it will all be fine..."

I'm doing this to myself and I can't stop it! Afterwards I say "no, next time i have to be strong and not give in to the temptation to eat shit food", but then I get caught up in the moment, caught up in the craving and BOOM! I've done it again before I even realize it!

The worst part is, I'm too ashamed to admit it to my dietician. You should have seen how nuts she went when I went to mushies after only one and a half weeks (instead of the recommended two). She told me that I was "jeopardizing my health and jeopardizing the band". It was half a cup of mashed potato, come on!! So I call her the Nazi. And now i'm too scared to tell her I need help in case she goes off again.

So bandsters, i'm appealing to you. Please help me snap out of it!

Annie xox

just keep trying. what is the alternative. try to read motivational magazines like running world and shape. i also listen to techno music to get me pumped to work out. try watching the execise stations too. also try to find a work out buddy. i have my dog i run with in the mornings and my horse in the afternoon. that helps me. you will do better after your first fill, i wasnt perfect, and i did it.......... good luck. try to write down your goals daily. keep a pocket notebook to write in. maybe these things will help you. only trying to give you a push........

Thankyou both for your help and support.

Just feeling a bit vulnerable right now, and getting into a negative mentality ("I'm a failure, I can't do it").

Snap out of it Annie!

What you are going through is totally normal. I felt the same way. Before my first fill I ate pizza and wings and things that I shouldn't. I did eat less than before and still lost some weight because I was scared that I was going to fail at this too. I also ate too much at Christmas which was also before my 1st fill. I ate turkey and dressing, tamales, brisket and some sweets. I am not saying that it is okay do this but I want you to know that you are not alone. The fill will change things for you but be prepared that it can take several fills to get to a good level of restriction. It is important to remember that we have to work with the band and make good choices. I've lost 32 pounds since I was banded and I do eat "bad" foods but I eat much much less of them. Don't panic. It will get better.

Try to follow the rules even if you do make bad choices:

Chew well and take small bites

Protein first (before the fries)

Veggies

Then carbs if must

DO NOT DRINK WITH YOUR MEAL. Wait 30 minutes before you drink anything.

Add small amounts of exercise. Get up and walk around more during the day. Even if you take several 5 minute walks during the day it will help.

Drink plenty of Water during the day.

You are experiencing very normal feelings and reactions. You can't control your feelings, so you can only control your actions. Start by looking at yourself in the mirror and making a vow..."You've been through worse things than this, you WILL make one WISE CHOICE at every meal time."

And then do it...whatever it may be......

Choosing a veggie over a carb.

Not drinking during your meal and for at least a half hour afterwards.

Etc. Then you'll be able to stop beating yourself up because you know you ARE actively doing something! C'mon....hang tough. You've been through a heckuva lot to get to this point. You can make it to that first fill.

*hug* Hang in there, you can do it. The post healing to first fill stage is a b*tch believe me I know it hit me with a vengance. Maybe journaling your foods each day on fitday.com or dailyplate.com up until your fill will help?

Like the other wonderful folks on this board, I wanted to also say that you are not alone in feeling this way. For me, it was very hard to not eat everything in sight. In fact, I'm still living in bandster hell because my first fill has worn off. And I'm living at the plateau motel.

I know it's extremely tough, especially when you think you're going to have wonderful restriction and willpower alone won't determine whether you eat the pizza, chips, etc. But remember, this is temporary. As I've said before, think about what it would be like if this was your actual diet and we were all just trying to lose weight on our own. But luckily, we do have the band -- we just have to survive until the sweet spot.

Don't beat yourself up too much because that kind of negative self-talk may give yourself further permission to overeat and eat the wrong foods. If you get a flat tire, there's no reason to shoot the other three.

Good luck. Read the message boards often. And remember that this tough time in your life is something to survive -- you can do anything for a few weeks, right?

Annie,

I just wanted to add my cheering to the rest. You are worth this and you CAN do it. The hell you are going through is temporary. I know that doesn't make it any less hellish, but it does, somehow, make it more doable. If right now you are having a tough time saying no to the bad stuff, do like an above poster said, and allow it AFTER you have done the rest. By not saying NO to the fries, but eating the Protein and veggies first, maybe when you get to the fries, one is all it takes. Don't tell yourself that you CAN'T ever have that stuff again. It only makes it more tempting.

Here are my hints....how I made it through....and not perfectly by any means...

1. don't put yourself in the position of choosing those bad things. They seemed to happen to me mostly if I was stuck somewhere without a plan....especially fast food.

2. When I wanted to eat something sinfully tempting I made myself drink a bottle of Water first. If after the Water and the 30 minute waiting period I still wanted it, I let myself have it....but only a few bites of it.

3. Don't sit and eat at the same time as everyone else. I couldn't sit and eat with the family and deprive myself of the good stuff. So while they ate, I did the dishes or folded laundry. I ate after they did. I stayed close so we still had family dinners, I just didn't eat then. When they weren't sitting there and I wasn't enjoying the family I didn't eat nearly as much and it was much easier to put the fork down.

Remember, it is only for a few weeks. It took us a long time to put this weight on and it is going to take a long time to break the habits that got us there. And when all hope seems lost, come here and be rejuvenated. This place is great for inspiration and asking for help. Don't go it alone! Good luck!

i wouldn't be too hard on youself. you have yet to have a fill or restriction. i'm in the same spot (banded on 3/4 and first fill is not for another week). this is the reason we are getting banded - b/c we have trouble with food. the purpose of the band is to help us with that - but until it does its job (restriction which comes with fills), we are only supposed to be "taking care of the band" ... not losing weight at this stage.

Annie

Try not to be too hard on yourself, we've all been there. This is what is referred to as Bandsters hell. Once you get a fill, I'm sure you'll see a difference. Work hard, stay motivated, you can do this, and we're all here for you, believe me.

Keep us posted, we care!

Cindy

Thankyou both for your help and support.

Just feeling a bit vulnerable right now, and getting into a negative mentality ("I'm a failure, I can't do it").

Snap out of it Annie!

Annie Dub:

First of all you need to be honest with yourself and honest with your dietician. She may not be nice but you don't need nice you need someone to hold you accountable. I'm sure if you confide in her she will be more understanding than you think.

This is all untimately up to you. If you decide that it's going to work for you and you make a committment to change your lifestyle then it will work. It's not enough to want to lose weight you have to be willing to make it happen.

This is a mind thing. If you can find some self control for long enough to make good eating habits then it will stick with you. The longer you go without screwing up the more familiar it will become and the better you will feel inside and out.

It's an addiction like anything else. You can't make a drug addict stop taking drugs unless he wants to. No one can make you stop making poor eating choices....that is something you have to do for yourself....in order for the lap band to work. I wish you the very best. I know you can do it.

Janet:wub: