Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help - Surgeon says I need Gastric

Oh, that is soooooo wrong!! All of the studies that have come out have showed that at the 2 year point the weight loss is the same for the two different procedures! That is also the point that many bi-pass patients begin to regain their weight! Look at how many are having banding over bi-pass!

The one big thing that sold it for me is that bi-pass gives you malabsorption problems. You have to take supplements for the rest of your life.

With banding, there is no such problem since your digestive system functions normally.

Thanks Jena!!! That makes me feel much better. I don't feel comfortable with the idea of the bi-pass at all. I suppose if we went back to eatting calorie dense foods and don't get some activity in our lives, it would come back with either procedure. I feel confident that the band is the best choice for me, and it will change my life for the better!!

They also said that both surgeries have the same percentage of complications, but the complications you get wirh gastric bypass are the worse type (leakage, for example).

Except the mortality rate for bypass is a lot higher than from lap band surgery. That's a big one for me.

To Hope4Joy,

I also thought gastric bypass was the only way as I have over 200 pounds to lose. But when I learned about the lapband and all the possible complications with the bypass my husband and I chose the lapband and now I am so happy. If you are willing to work at it and follow all your doctors advice and nutritionist advice it will work for you. Please see my stats below. I am only 7 months out from surgery.

Good luck to you in your decision.

shelli

I think you should get another opinion. I have about 100 pounds to lose. I wouldnteven consider the bypass. That is scary to me. At least the band can be taken out if something goes wrong. The nurse at the surgeons office I go to had the band done about 3 years ago. She weighed over 300 pounds. She has lost 160 pounds. I think the band is much safer, and I can't understand why some insurance companies won't pay for it, but will pay for bypass.

I weighed over 300lbs when I got my sx last month. my BMI was over 50. My Dr. did not try to talk me out of the lapband because I flat out said. I am either getting the lapband done or nothing at all. (I know way too many people that have had severe complications from bypass. 2 people I know have DIED. My brothers gf is always in and oud of the hospital for blockages and obstructions had quite a few more sx to try and fix it.) He was fine with that he just made sure that I realized that because of my weight if they had complications doing it laproscopicly(sp) then they might have to switch and do it open. That did not happen. I am so happy I had this done. I have only lost about 37lbs. at this point but, I can already feel a huge difference in my walking and being able to do more. Sos, my suggestion would be try and talk to your Dr. again and if he still pushes towards bypass. say ty and tell him you are going to go look for another Dr.

hth

I think getting a 2nd opinion would be a very good idea. I was undecided when I saw my surgeon for the first time. I want to loose 150 lbs. He told me based on "averages" that I probably would not loose that much but he could see me in the 150- 180 range (I am 5'7" & 280 now and would like to be 130). Then he told me that is just national averages, if i am determined I could make my goal, it's not impossible. He also said I am a good candidate for either (except that I smoke, so he did discourage me for the bypass because of a chance of ulcers). Good luck to you, and just make sure which ever route you decide is a decision you are 100% comfortable. If you are scard of the GB and all the rerouting of your insides, and malabsorption, then tell the Dr. that. With Lap Band there is so much follow up with having to get fills and all that. Which one will work better with your lifestyle? I am not saying one is better than the other. I truely believe that noone knows you better than yoursself. Are you going to adhere to the strict post op diet? Will you be likely to cheat? If so you may want to think about GB, I'm sure one good bout of dumping syndrom would keep you from cheating again... but on the flip side if you are determined and KNOW without a doubt you can Follow the LB diet, and that is what you really want, then push for it! Either way you will have a useful TOOL to help you achieve your goals. A good doctor will not push you to do something you are not comfortable with.

Edited by VIRGO_GIRL824

Hi-

I am 5'4 and started the lapband journey at 302 lbs. I am on my second and final week of pre-op diet (I've lost 15 lbs) and am scheduled for my band on 4.1.08. I would suggest talking to another surgeon....l can't imagine why anyone would suggest gastric over lapband.

I am almost the same exact size and weight as you and I am getting the lapband. The way I see it is, yes I may loose faster with gastric and possibly with less effort but once your body gets used to it, eventually they stop loosing and many have been shown to gain it back. At least with lapband you can continually have adjustments as needed to go along with your progress or lack there of. Once gastric is done it is done...no adjustments.

Hi Hope4Joy - I love your name - those are the names of my daughters!! Anyway, I would suggest going to another doctor. This is a personal decision that you need to make and the doctor shouldn't try to make that decision for you. I had my surgery in Nov of 2003 - going into my 5th year - and I couldn't be happier. I see people at work that have had the bypass done around the same time that I had my band done and they are gaining their weight back. I have maintained the same weight - with the exception of having a baby - since I have had the surgery. I started at 309 and right now I am between 195 and 205. Could I loose more weight if I wanted to? I'm sure I could but I'm happy right where I am at. I don't have the rollercoaster ride that I had prior to having the band done with loosing 10 pounds and gaining 15 back. You shouldn't let the doctor dictate which surgery you should have. This is YOUR choice and people with more than 100 to loose CAN loose it with the band....don't let him tell you otherwise!:thumbup:

I already posted once saying that I thought you should get another opinion, but I also wanted to share something else with you. I work in a doctor's office and we have a few people who have had the bypass, and they have a lot of problems from it. One woman has to go into the hospital all the time because she has malnutrition. She has also had a lot of infections. She has constant nausea and has to take massive doses of phenergan a day. She can't eat solid food most of the time and has to have full liquids. And one of the worst things is, she has gained all the weight back PLUS. I know of others who have had the band for 5 years or more and haven't had any problems. They have kept the weight off. I know some people benefit from the bypass, but from what I have seen, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Hope4Joy:

I started at 324 and I'm now 209, so down 115 in eleven months. I feel that the lap band has far fewer risk factors. In addition, I still think that one of those smart scientists is going to come up with something that will be a pill, or something easy like that in the future. So, I don't want to do any permanent changes to my anatomy. Do you?

Best wishes for whichever way you end up going. Me, personally, I would look for a different surgeon.

Good luck.

Sue

it seems to me that most surgeons recommend the bypass when you have more than 100 to lose. i went with the band, even so. rerouting my insides wasnt an option for me.

the band is way cheaper in mexico, than the sleeve.

and I know that over 300 is fine there. check it out.

I'm 3 weeks post op and so glad I did this.

remember its a tool and not a fix though, you will have to work with it.

good luck

I would have to agree please seek another opinion (I have 215 lbs to lose) My surgeon did not have second thoughts, I was banded a week ago! Check with a LapBand only surgeon!

Just playing devil's advocate here.

I had my pre-op today and my doc went over both procedures once again. I'm still hooked on the decision to go with the band, and he was fine with that, but he pointed out that 6 of 10 people with bypass don't regain their weight. 80% have no or minimal complications (ie, not requiring additional procedures or surgery). There is NOTHING irreversible in bypass. No parts of stomach/intestines are removed, just re-routed.

Both have life long ramifications. Nutritional supplements are mandatory with bypass and those who choose not to follow that often have a myraid of issues relating to lack of vitamins/protein. Fills, port care, band care and possible replacement are issues with the band. As well as sticking, slippage, over/under fills. The point is that BOTH procedures have life long follow up needs. Knowing that continued medical care will be a requirement is important when making a WLS decision.

In his opinion both are good, solid procedures. He said you have higher mortality rate with bypass because those who opt for bypass often have higher risk levels and comorbiditys. And, in both cases, all too many don't deal with their eating issues before surgery and return to their bad eating habits once they are able.

I'm still a fan and proponent of lapband, but at least consider your doctors opinion when making your ultimate decision.

Good luck to you!

Edited by cori in wa