Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Miles or Dr. Schmitt patients

Well I had my first feel yesterday. It went well. I got there at 3 and had to wait a little while, but I like sitting in the waiting room and love to hear other patients talk about their surgeries.

I opted out for the numbing medicine, just because I figured 1 stick was better than two. Not long after I got in the room, Ashley came in to do an ultrasound to locate the port. It was much higher than I thought. Well then Lisa came in and stabbed me with the needle. I was startled at how aggressive the whole process was. It did not hurt at all, I didnt even feel the needle go it, but it was just the searching for the port that got me. I felt her hit it and then she had me lean up as if I was doing a sit up and then she got the needle in and injected the saline. I started with 3ccs and yesterday she added 1.5cc's. I cant really tell yet, but I know it can take a little bit before I notice, if I do notice at all. My next fill is scheduled for July 17th!

=)

Welcome to the thread Anna! Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I've been covered in work lately! I hope that you find this and all the thousands of other threads helpful!!

Shawna- girl i know what you mean. It's hard to explain the fill experience. It didn't hurt at all but a weird feeling indeed. I hope that she was actually in the port and trying to find a whole... with all that jabbing on me. It was quick and simple though. Wonder if I could do it myself haha! Did they give you any helpful instructions? How was your nutrition follow up?

Hi ladies,

I got my 1st fill last Thursday and, like you, didn't feel a thing but definitely an odd sensation. He did tell me to relax, though, before he pulled the needle out and it was then only that I felt some stinging so I decided to wait to relax next time when he is all done! :rolleyes2:

I am going back a week from Monday for another fill, though. He is out of town next week or he would have taken me sooner because this one just isn't enough. I now have 4 cc in a 10 cc band. Weight loss has been pretty steady and I can't complain.

Tried on clothes last night and although there isn't a huge difference in sizes, the way I look in them is definitely different. It was nice not to be totally disgusted by the way I look! :thumbup: Whoo hoo!!

Welcome to the group, Anna! Before you know it, you'll be on the banded side -- it seems like it will be forever, though, I KNOW!

Where are you Di4AU? Let us know how you are doing.

Glad to hear that your first fill went well! So will it have been 3 weeks bw your fills? I had my first one on 6/5 and just realized they scheduled my second one for 5 weeks later. I called today and moved it up to 4 weeks (July 2nd) I can't tell any difference with the first one. I have days when I'm not REAL hungry.. and then days like today.. I feel like I'm starving!! We went to see my family this past weekend and no gym ='ed no loss. We're back in the gym now and sore!! We only missed 3 days but it feels like we are starting all over haha.

I did up the tread mill to an hour last night for the first time. That might be why I'm sore but I NEED to see the scale going down more. I've got to get better at my eating habits too.. still having to many carbs I think.

What's an average day of eating look like for y'all?

Hi Wendy,

I got my 1st fill at 5 weeks postop. I will be getting the next at 7 weeks. He encourages you not to wait, though, if you think you need more because he said it doesn't help anything by waiting. I would be going in next week but he will be out on vacation.

I try to keep my calories to about 700-800 most days and every 3-4 days bump them up to 1000-1200 just to keep my metabolism from settling. I also limit carb intake to 4 servings a day with little to no sugar which is somewhat what I was on with my preop diet.

You seem to be doing great, though. I have personally challenged myself to keep up with you and everytime I check your ticker, you are always just ahead of me! :rolleyes2:

Well it's nice to know that I'm being challenged.. That will make me step it up a notch!! :-) I was actually down 31 until the weekend... i made some bad choices and paid for them!

I'm terrible at counting calories uugghh! I need to work on that.

LOL :biggrin2: Now, I didn't say I was challenging you, just trying to keep up with you, is all!

I use The Daily Plate and absolutely LOVE it! It makes keeping track of everything very easy. Maybe you should try it -- you might be surprised. Least of all, though, maybe try to follow the 4-carbs a day thing and see if that helps any. Of course, I haven't noticed you needing too much help since I still can't catch you! :biggrin:

How many carbs do you have each sitting? My food options are so limited! I'm such a picky eater .. which is what has gotten me to this size. I guess I'm strange but I hope that the next fill will not allow me to eat some of these bad things. I have changed to wheat tortilla shells ... small changes like that I've made but it seems that I eat the same things over and over and over.

Well, with only 4 carb servings, it doesn't allow a lot at each meal. However, I don't stick so tight to the 4 servings if the carb is a vegetable; basically I consider vegetables to be free, carbs or not. I also tend to get in the rut of eating the same things all the time but I try to mix it up just like the calorie counts because I don't want my metabolism to become accustomed to it and plateau. So, I may eat the same thing for a couple of days but then I switch it up one day and may go back to my old pattern the next. I mainly concentrate on getting in my Protein first (especially since my hair has started to thin :success1:), veggies and then, if room, a carb. It's all about experimentation.

When I was on mushies I actually came up with something I LOVE... and still eat now. My husband thought I was nuts and it may sound gross but I take a 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes (instant), 1/2 cup of tuna and 1 Laughing Cow cheese wedge and mix them together. It's a pretty good portion of Protein plus a little bit of the "feel good" carb and it tastes actually very good. Lately, laughing cow cheese has been one of my staples. Anytime I might have used Mayonnaise or sour cream before I am finding I can substitute the laughing cow and not miss the others.

The thing is, I think it would be better for you to find some alternatives now before you become too tight to allow you to eat things you would now -- or you might starve, girl! :biggrin: Plus, I would think it would be discouraging to not be able to eat like you are used to yet not know what you might like to eat. Kind of like being stuck in the "liquid diet phase". :lol: Man, I was so sick of SWEET things I could have screamed.

Anyway, not to write a book or tell you what to do... I just hope some of these ideas help.

Well ladies, I think we're doing great! My first fill isn't until July 7, but I think I've fooled myself into thinking I have restriction. The only time I really feel hungry is first thing in the morning and when I get home from work. After I eat, I amy WANT more, but I'm really not hungry, so I stop. I've always been a good dieter, just a really lousy keep it offer!

I know what you mean about the sweets during liquid stage, Missy. I actually started putting a little salt in my hand and licking it, I couldn't stand it! My first meal was grits with tons of pepper. I needed taste, not quantity! So, as someone who likes spicy food anyway, I've really been spicing things up and enjoying. And with my hernia gone, no heartburn, or reflux.

Wendy, I'm a picky eater too, so it's always hard to make right choices. During soft food I was craving salad so much, I finally cheated and started a couple days early and things have gotten a lot easier. I only like my vegetables raw (except potatoes and corn), so that's the only way I'm going to get them in. The hard part to me, is the waste of food. My fridge has three to go boxes in it already.

I'm on about 600-800 calories a day, seem to average about 25 carbs a day. If I have more one day, I cut back the next. I'm using the Realize website and from past experience, I can tell you if you write it all down, and I mean ALL of it, the weight does come off.

I came up with something that was pretty good. I crumbled up my four ounces of ground beef, put in some chili powder, cumin and garlic, put it over four wheat crackers, sprinkled a little cheese over it and it was pretty good. I'm ready for jalepenos with it next time.

And I confess I did something else I wasn't supposed to do. I got in the pool Sunday and sat in my float for about an hour. I'm still alive, so there. Now I can't wait until I can SWIM for exercise, 15 days and counting. And really get a workout on the Wii Fit. This walking is getting old.

Missy, are we going to let Wendy beat us to ONEderland????? I think we have a challenge.

Hey girls, just checking in with everyone!

Di4AU...Not long now on that fill!

Wendy.. Have you been able to find any new foods you like?

Ford... How's the WiiFit coming?? We have actually been considering using some of our stimulus refund for one but I think we're going to put it in savings and "think" about it some more. $400 is so much money and our AC in the car is trying to go out ... Arrgh!

Wendy.. Have you been able to find any new foods you like?

Na... I did pick up some fruit to have during those afternoons that I feel like I can't get full.. which has been all of them lately. I am really hoping this next fill does some good!!!

Sorry to hear about the car ac. Gotta have that air during this time of the year. Mine has it's moments... Seems like everytime my hubby rides with me it don't want to work... guess I'm going to have to leave him at home on these hot summer days haha.

I'm amazed that I'm actually enjoying summer time this year.. never have before. I guess that little bit of self confidence we get from seeing pounds move is helpful!!

Hope everyone is doing well!!

Na... I did pick up some fruit to have during those afternoons that I feel like I can't get full.. which has been all of them lately. I am really hoping this next fill does some good!!!

MEEEEE TOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! I go on Monday for another fill and I so hope it helps. I've been running on sheer willpower but only because I have continued to lose. However, I don't want to push it because I don't know how much longer that will last.

Where's our other girls?? :biggrin2:

I know exactly what you mean Wendy, I usually hate leaving the house during the Summer and now I dont want to sit at home at all.

I get my next fill on July 15th. I think it should do be very noticeable then. I do have some restriction, but I am not staying satisfied very long. I am still doing well and very happy!

I hope everyone is doing well and please keep us informed with what is going on.

I have BC/BS (PEEHIP) and am using photos from the past 3 years to document my weight history. Like many overweight people, I have spent many years dreading the doctor's office. Has anyone gone through the approval process using photos? What can I expect? Doe it take longer to get approval?:confused2: