Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Rollercoasters - no, NOT the emotional kind!

Hey there. I'm freshly banded, and in it for the long haul. One of the things I miss tremendously at my size is rollercoaster rides and theme parks in general. As I lose, I'd like to reward myself with the occasional theme park expedition, but I'm worried that I won't be able to fit on the rides.

Does anyone know of a resource that has ride accessibility info for obese riders? Surely, in the internet era, there has to be something!

Given my size (starting wt 473, probably around 435 or so now), it'll be a while yet, but I want to start planning and dreaming...

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

i went to DisneyWorld last June (about 310ish) and fit OK. the only issue i had was with Space Mountain, had problem with my really large tummy and the bar closing.

good luck

OH goodness I'm jonesing for a coaster! I haven't been able to ride at Great A's in more than 7 years. I had an embarrassing time trying the Batman there. I never had a problem at Dorney Park though. Mmmm the Steelforce...I need a moment.

Anywho, I understand your frustration, it is one of the things I miss most in the whole world. I'm hoping that at 250 I wont have the problem I had at 344.

I am hitting all of the NYC area coaster parks this summer!

Sorry I don't know of any accessibility sites for obese riders. I see you are in the NYC area, try Dorney Pk. Most of their rides have leg bars as opposed to shoulder bars, which made a difference for me. Also some coasters are built with handicapped seats. Although they aren't fully handicapped seats (i.e. they aren't built for wheelchairs etc.) and they don't publicize them, they do offer a bit more room for a larger person. Those seats are usually in the middle of the train, ask the operators.

So, depending on how and where you carry your weight, Dorney PK may be doable at around 350-360. It is worth a try at DP because the crowds are smaller than Disney/Great Adventure type parks, so it will limit the embarrassment factor.

Also if you go and don't fit, you will know approximately how close to that goal you are. Even better it is two parks in one (regular/water), so if you cant do the coasters there is a whole other park to explore. That is definately getting your money's worth. Either way you'll have fun.

We were at Knott's berry Farms about 3-4 years ago and I was asked to leave one roller coaster. Can't remember the name, but it was an older one. The belt wouldn't fit. I was so embarassed!

I've been heavy forever and never had problems, but this was about 300 pounds. I'm 5'5", too...so that may make a difference on how I carry it.

Fenton

There is definitely a site with this kind of info, I was on it before but I can't find it now. I've been searching for a while. I'll take another look and let you know. However most parks have a section dedicated to accesibility so that might help.

I can't wait to get in line for a coaster and know I'll fit.

Elsie

Fenton, I'm with ya, brother. This last October we took the kids to 6 Flags (Arlington, Tx). I was at my heaviest (around 370) and fit into most of the coasters, but just barely, and certainly not comfortably. Hopefully the next trip will be different for me, and I'm sure you will be able to ride very soon.

yeah, i was very humiliated when i went down to silver dollar city in branson, waited in line 20 min for the coaster, got in, sat down, had to get out and leave the ride. it was my most embarassing fat moment ever. i was about 340 then. i am 292 now. i'm hoping to go to worlds of fun for the first time this summer.

Thanks, guys!

I'm 6'2". It sounds as if I'm going to need to get seriously under 300 to feel comfortable even trying most of these places... I would be SO humiliated if I didn't fit!

snaps - thanks for the Dorney Park recommendation.

And Elsie - if you find that site, please share it!

Thanks, guys!

I'm 6'2". It sounds as if I'm going to need to get seriously under 300 to feel comfortable even trying most of these places... I would be SO humiliated if I didn't fit!

snaps - thanks for the Dorney Park recommendation.

And Elsie - if you find that site, please share it!

I'm 6"1' and at 346 I was riding at Dorney pk. My best friend is 6"2' also and bottom heavy, she had very little problem at 350. But its best to take it at your own pace. It can be really disheartening to have to get off of the ride. Ever since my incident at the Batman I have been very care which rides I try.

Ive also come up with a large rider strategy: Arrive at opening, then go to the coaster at the farthest reaches of the pk (most people start with the first thing they see, so there wont be many, if any people riding with you and no lines (at DP its Steel Force at Great A's its the Scream Machine))

I have ridden the SteelForce back-to-back at least 3 times using this method and even more on the Scream Machine.

Its sad what we have to do just to have the same fun as normal sized people. Thank goodness for the Band.

Elise please do share if you find that site, my bestie weighs much more now and I miss riding coasters together.:angry_smile:

I am not a fan of rides, so I read it and kind of forgot the info..

But a while back someone posted that certain theme parks post the info for how big the rides hold (Six Flags, Disney World) and one of them actually makes rides to accomodate bigger people.. I want to say DW.

If you go to websites of the places you're wanting to go, look around and see if it tells you the restrictions on size for their rides.

Good luck :angry_smile:

I can't wait to fit into the "swings" again. I remember going on a roller coaster with my dad before he had gastric bypass. He was large enough to make me feel safe. He held me down quite nicely. Now he has lost 200 pounds and I hold him down nicely. Can't wait for the day to come that both of us feel like we are going to fall out!

Size aside, does anyone forsee/has anyone experienced a problem riding a roller coaster with the band? I was wondering if the motion/gravity of an extremely high, fast, or loopy coaster could make you uncomfortable or move the band. I know a lot of people get sick on roller coasters, and even if you don't, I'm wondering if your stomach would be going crazy.

I LOVE roller coasters, so I'd love to hear if anyone has had any experiences with this.

everyone experiences rollercosters... the most important is to keep looking at our goals.

Huh? Not sure you read the actual thread.

At any rate, I didn't have any problems at Six Flags in Georgia when I was 283.