Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Don't want General Anaesthesia

My surgery is scheduled for next Thursday, March 20,2008. Any one not get general anaesthesia?? I don't want to be put out that deeply...I don't want to be intubated.....Thanks

cc

is that true or are you trying to back out? Have you been under general anesthesia before successfully...?

Abdominal surgery is almost always performed under general anaesthesia. I almost said "always" but I'm not enough of an expert to say that. They are slipping instruments under your ribcage, wrapping the band around your stomach, manipulating your internal organs. I do not believe you can do that under a local anaesthetic.

The anaesthesia I esperienced with my banding was very light and I came out of it quickly after surgery.

Easy for me to say, I know, but I don't think it is something you need to worry about.

Trust me you need General Anaesthia -- have you had problems with it in the past? if so let your doctor know. I had not had G.A. since I had my tonsils out at age 4 and didn't know if I would have any problems with it -- I didn't have any issues, but there is no way this can be done without it. The Anaesthiologist will keep constant watch on you and be able to head off any issues that come up, but if you've had issues in the past let them know.

Also, since they do the intubation while you are out, you don't know it or feel it.

If you have had any problems with anaesthesia in the past, be sure your doctor knows about it. Some people do have reactions to GA such as vomiting, which can be very dangerous to a new band. Your anaesthesiologist would want to know about problems so he may be able to change what he uses on you.

Nobody WANTS general anesthesia, we are given what medical experts think is appropriate for the type of surgery.

I've had several screening procedures like colonoscopy and endoscopy with IV sedation ( aka consious sedation, or twilight sleep) and the sedation is commonly used when wisdom teeth are removed.

apparently, that type of sedation is not considered "enough" for lap band surgery, so G/A is used.

Has anyone ever experienced a bad wake up from it? I had a camera put down my throat 11 years ago to look at an ulcer (at the age of 13) and when I woke up from it I freaked out. Sobbing crying, trying despretely to get away from the doctor and nurses.. I was really confused and disoriented and very upset. I don't think most people react this way. The doctor told me I had some very deeply buried emotional issues which I could kind of see. I grew up in foster care for most of my life and to make a long story short it was traumatic and awfull. I feel I have gotten a handle on most of the emotions from everything I experienced and am a very successful person and mother but part of me is still worried it is there and if they put me out I will wake up the same way...

Speaking as someone who has "come to" during two different procedures under twilight, go for the deepest sleep you can get!

I didn't feel anything that was going on and I was too relaxed to panic, but I certainly remember it! One was while I was having liposuction on my upper arms and while they were turning me over, I came to and told them to hurry up!

The second time I was having a bunionectomy and I woke up during the surgery. The surgeons were talking about golf and I could hear a saw running. Of course I couldn't feel anything, so I didn't panic. I didn't connect at the time that they were using the saw on me! ha ha.

I asked the surgeon if I could watch and he told me (joking) he would have to kill me if I watched and learned his secrets. Then he told the anesthesiologist to put me under deeper and boom! I was out.

When I was scheduled for a hysterectomy a couple of years ago, the anesthesiologist asked me if I wanted a twilight or a deep sleep and I said "Give me as much as you can!"

As I said, when I woke up during the procedures, I didn't feel anything because the areas had been numbed, but I didn't want to take a chance again.

If you don't want general, good luck finding a surgeon. They may exist, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

Why are you afraid if being intubated?

There are some abdominal procedures that can be done via spinal blocks - cesarean deliveries for example.

But eww - the thought of being awake for a banding, with all that tugging, pulling, pushing... creeps me out way more than the thought of a tube inserted & removed while I'm unconscious.

General anesthesia, I had a cone byopsy done in April 06 the fine anethesiast came to my bedside and said nicely. Young lady you gave us quite a scare. You hemoragged during the procedure what didn't you tell me. I said I told you everything in my chart, did you read it.? Today I had to go to the hospital to have them pull my operation from archives. Guess what she didn't list any problems. so talking about it with surgeon, he said I wont use her for your procedure. I have the best anesthesiologist you can ask for. so its either she pierced my esphogus or she removed some polyps in my thorax. Who knows. She never reported it . so talking about scared or apprehensive its me.

My surgery is scheduled for next Thursday, March 20,2008. Any one not get general anaesthesia?? I don't want to be put out that deeply...I don't want to be intubated.....Thanks

cc

Gen. anesthesia with intubation is required for this surgery. When I asked my anesth. about an LMA breathing tube (for another lap surgery), he said direct intubation was required to maintain your airway due to the pressure the inflated abdomen creates. Makes sense to me. Discuss your concerns and history w/ your anesthesiologist. Sometimes they can do different things to prevent certain reactions.

Good Luck!!

I would hope that since your surgery is so soon, that you would've had a consult with anesthesia. The type of anesthesia they will use should have been discussed a LONG time ago!

It's normal to have fears about this, many people do. They are very skilled at their job, and don't want you to be uncomfortable. The tube will not be inserted until you are asleep (all done very quickly) and removed before you wake up. You won't even be aware of it. If you are worried about the size of it, it's not bigger than your finger or a bite of food. Most often patients are given ice chips in the recovery room. The ice will help if you have any sore throat, but usually a dry mouth is what motivates patients to want it!

I agree with everyone that you really do want to be completely under for this type of procedure.

Someone mentioned meeting with anest. but I've never met with the anest. except for right before surgery. Did any of you actually meet your anest. before you went in for surgery?

My anesthesiologist met me in the hospital, not long before the procedure.

You can "come to" with "twilight" sleep and sometimes it's desirable for the surgeon as they can arouse you and you can move into a certain position if they need it. They can also just give you more drugs to have you go a bit deeper is needed and you do get "local anesthesia".

Depends on the hospital or anesthesiologist, I have been given something in the IV on my way to the OR to relax me and with the band surgery, I walked down to the OR with a nurse, climbed on the table and they started the drugs. I asked them to wait for the mask on my face until I was out more. Ok, really i pushed it away, that was the last thing I remember, except a bit of the recovery room. Opened my eyes twice, don't remember anything else until I was in my room. I was VERY groggy after. The nurse wanted me to get up and walk and use the bathroom, I could NOT stand up. It took awhile for me to come out of it.

Had IV sedation during my colonoscopy, woke up and looked at the Dr. she said, "see, there's the polyp on the screen", uh yeah, boom, back to sleep. Torn knee ligament , had IV sedation. Same for endoscopy.

Prefer IV sedation, but I know it's not right for all procedures.

cc~

i know exactly how you feel. i, too, have had reservations. i'm 37 years old and have never had surgery. i've never even been in the hospital for anything and YES, i'm scared of the breathing tube too. but not scared enough to NOT suck it up and do whatever i need to do to get healthier and happier. good luck on your journey!

kris