Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 3 Days ago.....Was it the right thing to do???

My doctor gave me pain and nausea medication. I've taken the pain medicine once and haven't had any nausea. For the most part, I'm okay with just liquid Tylenol.

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum, and right now I am seriously contemplating being banded. I have read quite a few threads since I joined, and it's a big help. I'm a little apprehensive after reading about the complications, PB, being stuck, and the slimes. I know that will pass, but my main concern is I'm a single mom with a 8 and a 3 year old, and no one around to help. I sure my mom will come visit, and stay a couple of days, but I really want to know how the first three to four days post-op feel? Will I be able to tend to my children (school and daycare)? You know I guess it's more or less being scared of the unknown. I've cleared some testing heart, I have sleep apnea, and labs are all great. Although, I need to discuss this further with my PCP. I just want to be sure this is what's best for me. I opted out of gastric because I can't take meds everyday for the rest of my life, and it's permanent. Any thoughts.... thanks

awwwwwww x ray dont give up. In about a week you wont regret any of your moves. Its a real life style change. Just do your liquids. Also my friend had it done he said to buy phayzme over the counter it really does wonders. As for your scars I am about to have the operation and my friend had his 7 months ago and you can only see lines. Please hang in there. also, I have a e mail tweety208330@aol.com if you want to talk/ Take care Pat

xray,

I have been traveling for four weeks and haven't had a full length mirror to look into during that time (we're in a little motorhome.) I went to the store the other day and tried on clothing. Size 8 pants! I cannot remember when I fit into size 8 pants. They were perfect. I barely recognized myself in the mirror!

Like you said, I no longer feel like the fat woman when I meet someone new or talk to a sales clerk. It is a wonderful feeling, and worth the occasional discomfort of the band.

Another interesting thing: I had a friend visit overnight Friday. She is and always has been extremely skinny. You know what? She eats as little as I do, and she is just as careful about what foods she puts into her body. We think of how we used to eat as the "normal" we can't do anymore. But the truth of it is, living to eat is NOT normal. It's way too common, especially here in the US, but it isn't normal and it certainly isn't healthy. The band makes us normal, not the opposite. If you have ever been to Europe or elsewhere in the world, you will see normal eating. We don't see it too much here in the US, with our high fructose corn Syrup, processed prepared foods, and constant snacking.

Just wanted to remind you of some of the reasons you did this. You are experiencing the pains of the procedure now, but the joys will come later.

One last thing: anaesthesia and drugs can affect your mood and emotions. Don't trust them right now; just keep your eyes on the goal. It kind of reminds me of PMS, when I would have to tell myself I didn't really hate everyone, it's just the hormones. :smile2: When you are healed you will wonder what the fuss was all about.

Hi,

I was banded on 2/28/08 and am too from NC. when I came out of surgery I felt the same way my first thought was I hope this was not a mistake. Primarily because of the pain. I had, had laproscopic surgery before but this time I had a lot of pain and was not prepared for it . Since then I am still sore mainly inside I think. Feels like I have been exercising.

I have my consult this week, but I am quite sure I will be approved and be banded within a month...

All of the honesty is really helping to prep myself for the first week postop.

I too have a young child (20 months) that I won't be able to pickup...but she can sit next to me and snuggle on the couch?? right?? I am trying to plan for my husband to take a week off to help...and I am taking off two weeks from work (I am a L&D nurse).

As nervous as I feel anticipating the surgery, I am also overwhelmed w/excitment!! I can't wait to not be the "fat girl" I can't wait to feel sexy again!!

I too have been wondering...should I try Weight Watchers one more time??

As my hubbie points out..I have already joined 10+ times..I am ready for a change...am permanent change...I know it will be tough at times, but I am worth it, my family is worth it....each of you are worth it!!!

Sorry this got long...I just appreciate each of you and your willingness to be honest!!!!

You hit the nail on the head....you are SO right...how easily we forget that our old way of eating IS NOT NORMAL!!! Size 8!!! AWESOME!!!

HANG IN THERE! Even though I had only shoulder pain from the surgery and no problems with bloating, incision pain, etc., I was SO DEPRESSED! I just felt like crying, lost interest in all the things I loved such as sewing and photography. It was a natural response to the anesthesia. Everyone kept telling me it would pass and it did. Just keep repeating this to yourself that it will be better. It took me about a week and a half to start feeling like myself.

There must be something about DAY 3 because on day 3 for me I was so depressed and was starting to regret what I did. I just wanted to eat what I thought was normal again. But like someone above said, actually it's not normal. I was living to eat. I thought about food every waking moment, no really I did! Now that I am 6 days post-op things are looking up for me. I don't feel that sadness and grief for food. Don't get me wrong if I could pig out, honestly I would but since I can't then I drink some Water and deal with it. I think when we move up in the phases of what food we can eat I really do think it will be better. I'm already looking forward to soup!:)

It will be ok and it's great we have all these vets to go to for help. I would be lost without this site.

It gets a lot better in a few weeks. I questioned the same thing and thought maybe I should have tried longer at more traditional weight loss. However, that being said, I just had my first fill and the pounds are starting to come off and I feel really good. Hang in there...it changes your life a little, but nothing that can't be adjusted to.

Yes, I do think there is something about day 3 post op. I had a little panic attack where I said to myself what the *&%$ did I do? I pulled a stomach muscle getting out of the taxi coming home and that hurt more than the incisions and to top it off, I got my monthly visit from auntie flo, no fun when you can't bend so good! But I am now almost two weeks post op and I feel much better about things. I am still on the liquid diet and look forward to the mushy foods, so I have aways to go, but keep at it and it will get better. Yesterday was like a normal saturday for me -- ran lots of errands and kept busy. Good luck to everyone!

Im getting band on 4/11, feel so scared specially about pain and nausea, will Dr. give u any meds to help us?

Before my surgery the nurse gave me a pill for nausea and then a couple hours after surgery I had another pill and I have not experienced any nausea at all. The pain....well the worse part on operation day was them sticking 2 huge IV needles in me (I'm a baby). After that it was smooth sailing. Walking 3 hours after surgery didn't really hurt. Then when I came home gas was pretty bad but nothing the liquid pain meds they gave me couldn't control. I hate being in pain and I am all all for taking pain meds and I stopped pain meds I think 3 days post-op and feel pretty good physically today.

Long story short...yes they will give you meds.

Snowbird CONGRATS on size 8!!

Thank you everyone. I am feeling so much better and I can tell to cause I was irritated and yelling at my dad...Ok not really yelling but bitching cause he is here from Ohio taking care of me and I guess now I am getting to the point where I want MY SPACE!!!

I know I did the right thing and as for pain I have none except if I move wrong and pull the muscle at the port site but that goes away after a few mins. I actually woke up on my side this morning so I must be feeling better. I am a little nervous about my hands....I wake up every morning scratching my tummy...I know that means my incisions are healing but I don't want to get those infected. It is crazy.. Not bad scratching I just feel it when I first start to wake and then stop myself.

Thanks everyone this has been a great site and without you all I don't know what I would of done.

I will be on here for every question I have now. Thanks again.

:)

I hear post op, you can only pick up something as heavy as a gallon of milk..

How long do you have that restriction??? Just curious...thanks..