Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 3 Days ago.....Was it the right thing to do???

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum, and right now I am seriously contemplating being banded. I have read quite a few threads since I joined, and it's a big help. I'm a little apprehensive after reading about the complications, PB, being stuck, and the slimes. I know that will pass, but my main concern is I'm a single mom with a 8 and a 3 year old, and no one around to help. I sure my mom will come visit, and stay a couple of days, but I really want to know how the first three to four days post-op feel? Will I be able to tend to my children (school and daycare)? You know I guess it's more or less being scared of the unknown. I've cleared some testing heart, I have sleep apnea, and labs are all great. Although, I need to discuss this further with my PCP. I just want to be sure this is what's best for me. I opted out of gastric because I can't take meds everyday for the rest of my life, and it's permanent. Any thoughts.... thanks

Not everyone has nausea and pain. I had very little pain, I think I took the pain meds twice and didn't even get the nausea perscription filled. By Monday after my Friday surgery I was pretty much doing everything I needed to do. Granted slowly but doing them none the less. I was off the pain meds and driving by Tuesday. Three and eight year old kids can at least dress themselves with little help and walk to the car, etc. and they can help you with some things.

You are going to have to take meds pretty much forever with the band too, Vitamins and Calcium are really important to your general health. The first week I was pretty overwhelmed with getting them all in but now that I am a little more used to it, it's not a big deal. I pop a Calcium lozenge in as I walk out the door and it disolves by the time I get to work, pop another one in after supper and by the time I can drink again it's gone. The chewable vitamins are not bad either, I have to take Iron too due to other health issues but it is all very manageable.

The benefits the band will give you in being healthy to do things with your children will far outweigh a week or two of recovery. Just remember to drink as much as you can and walk as soon as you can and as often as you can. That gets the gas out and helps you get your strength back quickly. Since you have kids it would be good to have your Mom there for a few days just to take care of the kids and keep the house running smoothly. I think the key is to do everything your doctor tells you to and go in with a positive attitude that this is a good thing for your family's future. You want to stay healthy for those two kids. Good luck with your decision, it is not one to take lightly.

I'm post op my surgary was 2/27/08. Other than being really tired the first week I felt good. This week has been worse because my port area is really hurting. I was on liquids only for 7 days. Now I'm in the mushies stage. I get to start introducing regular foods day 15 post op, which is Wednesday. But I'm worried because mushies are kinda difficult right now. I have my first post op appointment on Friday the 14th. I just think everyone is different and everybody is going to react differently to the surgary. We'll see how it goes. Good luck to everyone!!!!!!!!!

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum, and right now I am seriously contemplating being banded. I have read quite a few threads since I joined, and it's a big help. I'm a little apprehensive after reading about the complications, PB, being stuck, and the slimes. I know that will pass, but my main concern is I'm a single mom with a 8 and a 3 year old, and no one around to help. I sure my mom will come visit, and stay a couple of days, but I really want to know how the first three to four days post-op feel? Will I be able to tend to my children (school and daycare)? You know I guess it's more or less being scared of the unknown. I've cleared some testing heart, I have sleep apnea, and labs are all great. Although, I need to discuss this further with my PCP. I just want to be sure this is what's best for me. I opted out of gastric because I can't take meds everyday for the rest of my life, and it's permanent. Any thoughts.... thanks

Thank you all for your responses... this definitely eases some of my concerns... I will continue to move forward with my decision, and will post updates when I obtain more information.

hang in there....I was banded 2/12 and the first week was tough!! the 2nd week a little better... but by 3rd week you will feel great....remember to walk....it help me alot and don't watch the scales they will drive you to tears the first 3 weeks. You will be fine just keep trying....

I am 2 days post op and can tell you that yesterday was a rough day! I was one who thought Id have it done and be right back to work.. Didnt happen.. I tried to go back today and had to come home.. Looks like I will be out til after next week so I can rest and get back to normal..

Yesterday I was doubting why I did this.. I felt totally horrible and was hurting pretty bad.. I do feel better today and am so looking forward to my future with this band.. I wont look back any more.. I know I did the right thing for me and I know I will get the results I want..

I have been moving around more and getting in more liquids, which I had a problem with both yesterday.. I am telling myself I will feel better!

Hi....I was banded on Monday; I also thought I could go back to work today (at a desk job) but am still not feeling 100%. Although taking a shower today helped alot!!! Hard to drink all liquids and get everything in....just not hungry. But of course all tv has on it is food commericals...UGH; can't wait till next week to feel more normal.

Hello Everyone and Good afternoon!

KEEP THE FAITH AND TAKE ONE DAY AT A TIME......... I was banded 1/23/08 and felt the same way. I go for my 2nd fill today and I am so excited. I live each day instead of getting thru the days like I did before I was banded.

YOu post sounds like the concerns I have as I think about doing this Lapband. I'm scared--not of the surgery or not waking up. I'm scared about mental frustrations post-op re: not being able to eat. I actually LIKE eating a lot of food. But, that's what's jacked me up, so... The psychology of eating--does it change, or are you forced to just behave differently cuz you'll vomit your guts up!

I was just banded 3 days ago on 3/5/08. At first I was so excited. Now as I look at my body and the incisions and swelling I am wondering if I did the right thing. I am not experiencing much pain except I think where my port is. As for being hungry, yes and no. I can't tell if I am hungry or nauseaed. I sometimes feel like I am short of breath but I don't really have any chest pain or anything. I am having some back pain which I assume is from the gas.

I just feel like maybe I should of tried harder before doing this...I don't know I guess I just have the post surgery blues and need some support to get through it. Thanks for listening. :thumbup:

IT GETS BETTER!!!!!!! I was banded on 3/10 and I felt the same way, but as time goes on and the pain goes away you start getting used to everything....I mean it's hard when the cravings hit, but everything you described is exactly how i felt in the first few days. But believe me, it gets better.....

Any advice for the gas pain? I was banded 11 hours ago, and I wish someone would just stick in a valve and let the air out!!!!!!! My port is sore, but nothing compared to the gas.

For me, you have to behave differently or vomit! I would do almost anything not to throw up so I don't push the band to it's limit. I have eaten blended carrots and mashed potatoes today. It measured about 4 tablespoons all together. I have been feeling so bad I had to get something solid in and I have to say that I feel 100% better. The nausea is almost gone now and I can actually say that things are looking up for the first time in a week. As bad as I have felt, I would still do it all over again!

I was just banded 3 days ago on 3/5/08. At first I was so excited. Now as I look at my body and the incisions and swelling I am wondering if I did the right thing. I am not experiencing much pain except I think where my port is. As for being hungry, yes and no. I can't tell if I am hungry or nauseaed. I sometimes feel like I am short of breath but I don't really have any chest pain or anything. I am having some back pain which I assume is from the gas.

I just feel like maybe I should of tried harder before doing this...I don't know I guess I just have the post surgery blues and need some support to get through it. Thanks for listening. :thumbup:

I had those "what was I thingking" moments also in the first 2 weeks. Now I'm abiut 2 months out and am setteling into a routine that is so much healthier. Keep hydrated and you'll be great. Cut yourself a break, you just had a big surgery...you're supposed to be tired and that makes you discouraged. Every day gets better.