Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 3 Days ago.....Was it the right thing to do???

I was banded 6 days ago and today was not a good day. I am still in pain, unsure about all the wierd things my body is doing, I'm hungry, tired, in pain and wishing I could just feel "normal." Although I can do a blended diet right after surgery, every time I blend protien and look at it I can't eat it because it looks so nasty. One of my sisters keeps calling wanting to come visit and "take care" of me (otherwise known as feed her controlling nature...LOL) I was feeling whiny and regretting the surgery and basically having a huge pity party for myself tonight. I had decided that getting through the month of mush was going to put me over the edge and that I was going to live on mashed potatoes and Protein powder.

Soooo....after tossing my uneaten plate of mush into the sink, snapping at my husband and retreating to the bedroom sobbing, with my laptop, I decided to look for something on this site that would remind me why I was doing this.

Thanks everyone for sharing feelings and experiences. Coming here and reading has helped a lot. I know why I did this and that I made the right decision, but I guess I needed to be reminded and be reassured that we all go through tough times in the beginning, but that it gets better.

~V

I'm really glad to have found this section on this particular topic. I have yet to be banded out of fear. So many of the fears I am having are discussed in section which is why I'm so grateful to find it. I'm afraid of buyer's remorse so to say, the pain and any complications that occur . It's such a big decision (purchase) and not one I can return. I keep thinking I should be able to do this on my own. Just try one more time but the truth is I have tried for over 30 years and still have a weight problem which I would think would be the turning point regarding finalizing my decision but it's not. I just don't know how to put my fears at ease which include the fear of what the hell have I done and how do I get this thing out of me. But it sounds like these are common fears and hit hardest right after surgery and until several weeks go by. I'm single, live alone and suffer from a horrible back injury plus have a limited support group which are also issues of concern. One of the e-mails mentioned that the pain is not something that lasts forever and it sounds like the doubts, fears and regrets aren't either. I'm just not sure what it's going to take for me to make the final decision and move forward.

To jomarie and anyone else considering the band, I just want to say that not everyone goes through all these things. I only had to take pain meds the first 2 days after surgery, and liquid tylenol a few times after that. I didn't have problems with gas pain, and I was back on my feet in no time at all. I don't want you to think it is inevitable to be miserable during the first weeks after surgery, because it's not. I was hungry after several days of the liquid diet, but it didn't take much to make that go away. I learned that a lot of it was in my head. I didn't know anything but eating, so it felt odd that I wasn't stuffing my face all the time. I wanted to share some good along with the bad so you could get a complete picture. It's possible to get through it without looking back. I certainly have. I have no regrets. No matter what I went through, it has all been SO worth it. I wouldn't change it for anything! :sneaky:

Hi tskelli,

I just read your posting. Thank you so much for the positive info. I have been trying to make a decision whether to move forward or not for so long now but my fears have gotten the best of me. I'm afraid of buyer's remorse so to say. The doctor I have selected is an excellent surgeon which definitely eases some of my fears, it's the after stuff that has paralyzed me up to this point. Can I give up or change certain things that I rely on such as Decaf diet coke for the carbonation or coffee with cream; can I deal with the pain (and the pain really does scare me) and all the new life changes??? I have wasted so much of my life, energy and money over the years regarding my weight and have always ended right back where I started, and in some cases even worse off, I just don't want to fail again. Any other suggestions and/or any of your experiences you want to share with me would be great. Again, thank you for the positive info.

jomarie

To jomarie and anyone else considering the band, I just want to say that not everyone goes through all these things. I only had to take pain meds the first 2 days after surgery, and liquid tylenol a few times after that. I didn't have problems with gas pain, and I was back on my feet in no time at all. I don't want you to think it is inevitable to be miserable during the first weeks after surgery, because it's not. I was hungry after several days of the liquid diet, but it didn't take much to make that go away. I learned that a lot of it was in my head. I didn't know anything but eating, so it felt odd that I wasn't stuffing my face all the time. I wanted to share some good along with the bad so you could get a complete picture. It's possible to get through it without looking back. I certainly have. I have no regrets. No matter what I went through, it has all been SO worth it. I wouldn't change it for anything! :ohmy:

Hang in there and give your body time to heal. I'm three weeks out and the swelling is gone, the incision healed on the outside, I can eat mushies, and I feel better than I have in years. Just keep doing what your doctor tells you to do. We have all been where you are and know how frustrating it is. You can do this. When you go back for your post op, you will be amazed at how much you have lost and it will make you feel much better. Whatever you do, don't get on the scales right now. You are swollen, and still have a lot of the fluids from the surgery in you now so you have probably gained a few pounds. That will go away in a few days.

Hang in there, we are all pulling for you!:ohmy:

hello stlouisgal, it is sooo nice to hear ur experience is going well! i realize i may struggle in the beginning especially the recovery period. i've never had surgery b4 and i admit i am scared but i am ready. i hope my experience goes as well as yours.

jomarie:

It doesn't sound like you've truly made up your mind about this surgery. I'm 8 days out and it really hasn't been that bad. The pain is tolerable (becareful w/the medication - it will stop you up) and the bloating and gas go away. As far as the life changes are concerned, if you aren't ready to make those changes than this isn't the option for you. From what I've read, and I think I've read every strand/thread/link on this website, the only reason you would have "buyers remorse" is if you don't follow the plan or the doctor's orders and it doesn't work for you (other than the occaissional medical issues that occur) I decided before the surgery that I could not live any longer being this big -that something had to be done, and that I could not accomplish this without help. I wanted a permanent solution because failure is not an option. I have been tired, bloated, constipated and in pain for 7 days and I thank God for every one of them. Because it means that I am banded!!! After the 6wks of healing, then it will be time to seriously lose the weight I can no longer tolerate - forever! I hope this helps you and I hope you make the best decision for you.

You know, I feel for all of you suffering from "post surgery blues".

I TOTALLY thought I'd be able to go back to work two days after surgery.......NOT!!!! In fact, I was still feeling "off" until about the 4th week post - op.... and it was so hard to explain to anyone who asked how I was doing. It wasn't that I physically felt bad (while there was considerable pain in the beginning)...but I just felt "weird"... looking back at it now...I think that maybe part of it was a grieving process maybe?? I'm not sure. I remember standing at the copier at work and thinking...OH MY GOSH - I am not ready to be here... in tears... and I really couldn't put my finger on WHY I felt that way. I think we all should give ourselves a break tho -- it was a major decision to make this lifestyle change and I think it's perfectly normal to kinda be in SHOCK for a little while after you realize the impact of what you did to make yourself healthy. With that being said, I will now say that I am about 7 weeks post op, 17 pounds lighter, eating healthier, and having NO REGRETS. Hang in there and work with your band and remember that there will be better days.

hello stlouisgal, it is sooo nice to hear ur experience is going well! i realize i may struggle in the beginning especially the recovery period. i've never had surgery b4 and i admit i am scared but i am ready. i hope my experience goes as well as yours.

Just remember to walk as much as you can after the surgery. Surgery does hurt but they will give you pain meds, take them before the pain gets bad or it will be harder to overcome it. The best advice I can give you is to follow your doctor's instructions to the letter and if you have questions ask! Every day it gets better. Don't push yourself and give your body time to adjust but do get up and walk as much as you can. Walking makes the gas go away faster. Drinking your Water makes you feel better too.

Good luck. You can always come here for support and advice!

Thank you tskelli and others...my surgery is for next Tuesday..April 1st..

I am nervous but yet confident that I will come out the other end of this stronger and healthier!!!! Your words were exactly what I needed today :)

I am so glad I am not the only one with these feelings. I was banded on Good Friday, 3/21, and have asked myself this everyday. I have actually cried everyday...There are SOOO many food commercials, cooking shows, and family eating around me that I sit there and think, will I ever be able to eat that again? Was this worth it? Am I a failure to have to resort to this to lose weight? and the best one, how much will this cost me to "undo" this...I have this "thing" in me and I want it out now! ... and now I guess I just feel stupid for not being able to do this on my own like so many other peopel can. I have actually sat and felt as if this band is the worst idea I have ever had, but after reading some of your posts, maybe this is normal and things will get better...Thanks for all your posts...

I had my gallbladder out laproscopically. Has anyone on here also had there gallbladder removed and is the pain following the surgeries compare. It wasnt too bad of a recovery for me from the gallbladder. My surgery date is set for April 7th and I am off of work for 2 weeks. Hoping I wont be dragging butt when I return to work

Tracy

I hope you feel better soon! One of my concerns is wanting it out after I get it. :)

You know, I only had to deal with the gas pains for a few hours after surgery. It was up under my rib cage. Changing positions really helps with that. Otherwise the gas pains were completely gone once I left the from the surgery the same day! Good Luck Hope you feel better, soon!

Not everyone has nausea and pain. I had very little pain, I think I took the pain meds twice and didn't even get the nausea perscription filled. By Monday after my Friday surgery I was pretty much doing everything I needed to do. Granted slowly but doing them none the less. I was off the pain meds and driving by Tuesday. Three and eight year old kids can at least dress themselves with little help and walk to the car, etc. and they can help you with some things.

You are going to have to take meds pretty much forever with the band too, Vitamins and Calcium are really important to your general health. The first week I was pretty overwhelmed with getting them all in but now that I am a little more used to it, it's not a big deal. I pop a Calcium lozenge in as I walk out the door and it disolves by the time I get to work, pop another one in after supper and by the time I can drink again it's gone. The chewable vitamins are not bad either, I have to take Iron too due to other health issues but it is all very manageable.

The benefits the band will give you in being healthy to do things with your children will far outweigh a week or two of recovery. Just remember to drink as much as you can and walk as soon as you can and as often as you can. That gets the gas out and helps you get your strength back quickly. Since you have kids it would be good to have your Mom there for a few days just to take care of the kids and keep the house running smoothly. I think the key is to do everything your doctor tells you to and go in with a positive attitude that this is a good thing for your family's future. You want to stay healthy for those two kids. Good luck with your decision, it is not one to take lightly.

Hi! if you have a hard time swallowing the calcium tablets, I usually go for the kiddie chewable calciums. Its easier. When I got banded a year ago, there was no liquid form of Vitamins available here in the Philippines, so I opted to go for the gummi bear form of vitamins for kids too.

Hi tskelli,

I just read your posting. Thank you so much for the positive info. I have been trying to make a decision whether to move forward or not for so long now but my fears have gotten the best of me. I'm afraid of buyer's remorse so to say. The doctor I have selected is an excellent surgeon which definitely eases some of my fears, it's the after stuff that has paralyzed me up to this point. Can I give up or change certain things that I rely on such as Decaf diet coke for the carbonation or coffee with cream; can I deal with the pain (and the pain really does scare me) and all the new life changes??? I have wasted so much of my life, energy and money over the years regarding my weight and have always ended right back where I started, and in some cases even worse off, I just don't want to fail again. Any other suggestions and/or any of your experiences you want to share with me would be great. Again, thank you for the positive info.

jomarie

Hi Jomarie,

I am 8 days post op. I had a bad addiction to caffeine mostly, Diet Coke... I can actually say most of my cravings are gone, I have tried a few things post surgery that I used to love and I don't really even want them. The way I keep myself from drinking carbonated beverages is thinking how it will taste to drink it flat:thumbdown:. Once you start giving your body the good foods and lose some weight though you won't need the coffee for caffeine. You will have more energy than you'll know what to do with! I regretted my band the day prior and then up to 3 days after. But I am sooo happy that I have it now. I can't wait for my first fill, April 29th... Good Luck!:)

I had my gallbladder out laproscopically. Has anyone on here also had there gallbladder removed and is the pain following the surgeries compare. It wasnt too bad of a recovery for me from the gallbladder. My surgery date is set for April 7th and I am off of work for 2 weeks. Hoping I wont be dragging butt when I return to work

Tracy

I had my gallbladder out in 2000 laproscopically. As far as I can remember, the two are comparable. It has been a while since my gallbladder surgery, so it's hard to really remember exactly how it felt. I do know I wouldn't have wanted to go back to work after only a few days after getting the lap-band. After a week, I felt like I was ready to go back, but had a 2 week leave approved, so I took advantage of every day. I was raring to go by the time I went back. I had already lost 17 lbs, and my energy level had improved. Getting rid of all the caffeine and sugar helped my energy level tremendously. No more crash and burn. Much success on your journey! Keep us updated on how it goes!

Tracy

I had my gallbladder out laproscopically about 5 years ago. I thought the pain from the gallbladder surgery was a little less than the lapband, but I had a large hiatal hernia repaired at the same time as the lapband. Like someone else mentioned, the most pain I had was around my port (under my ribs). I took a couple pain pills when I came home, but mainly just to be able to sleep because I struggled sleeping on my back and sleeping on my sides or stomach was not an option. Otherwise, I took Tylenol a couple times a day the first week. After that, I didn't need them.

I took almost 2 weeks off and felt more than ready to go back to work. I'm sure 2 weeks will be good as long as your work doesn't require a lot of lifting.

Like others have said...keep moving. Walk after surgery even when you don't feel like it. It really does help. Good Luck. Let us know how you're doing.

Kelly