Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling all April Bandsters!!!!

Yes huge drop scared me so I was concerned. I tlalked to my nutritionist and nurse and they don't seemed to be worried. They just told me they same thing you said. So I'm goign stick with the liquids and soft foods for a few weeks. Thanks

Since you were overfilled theres probably swelling and you should be ok. Alot of us are able to live on liquids for weeks at a time before surgery so I wouldn't fret it. I would make sure you're getting in all the liquids you need and that you dont dehydrate. You could also drink low sodium broth that made me feel alot better after I was filled too tight.

Are you only concerned because of the amount of loss or is there more issues?

As long as you're able to get in fluids, I would give it a few more days to make sure the swelling, etc has taken care of itself. If you're not able to get in fluids, I would go back in. I would also be concerned about the 15 pound loss, unless you had some Water retention built up that you weren't aware of. If you feel comfortable enough to give it another few days, it could work itself out.

My last fill was in July and about a month ago I was finally able to start eating a little something in the morning. From July - February, I would drink a few cups of hot tea until 10 a.m. or so when I could eat something as long as it was moist (tuna with mayo, etc). lunch was okay as long as I had plenty to drink before hand. By dinner time, I was able to eat more (about 3/4 cup total food). My doctor told me this is not untypical with the band, so as long as I could drink fluids and stay hydrated he said give it time.

If you want to be able to eat in the mornings, you may need to get some more taken out for that to happen. Even after all this time, my Breakfast consists of 1 cup of hot tea followed by 1 hard boiled egg. Sometimes I don't finish the whole egg and wait an hour or so before finishing it up. From July to present, I've lost 63 pounds (2 pounds per week average). That's within the range my doctor likes. Some weeks was 4 - 5 pounds, and others were 1 -2 pounds.

Good luck! Please let us know how you're feeling and what you're doing.

Thank you the doctor said to give the swelling time to go away. So I'm goign to to be patient. the huge dropped just scared the crap out of me and everyone noticed it as to before it was more gradual. But I'm getting my liquids in.:confused:

CC you sound just like me. Well your food intake. I start with a cup of hot tea or decaff coffee... then follow about 20 minutes later with a hardboiled egg or egg salad (Alone no bread) then don't eat again till 1130... My breakfast is at 545 I should add hehe. dinner is no more than 1/2 a cup.

For what my opinion is worth, I wouldn't worry about it at all. I had a fill yesterday. The day before I went in to be weighed and on the surgeon's scale I was 240. I barely ate that day. He had a sudden opening yesterday so I had to fast all morning, and since then I can only do fluids very very slowly. I'm down to 234 today so that's 6 in two days. If I can't eat much the next few days I'll keep dropping, just like you did. It will slow as we add foods. If you can't eat, or if it continues to drop like crazy while eating real food, you may not be eating enough. But after a very firm tightening, you're not eating and you will lose a bunch of weight.

Now, what is "barley water". I've heard of it, but never asked.

Take care.

I remain in awe of the small amounts you eat. Let's see what this restriction brings me. I think I've had about 350 calories total today. All liquid. Protein Drink, sherbet, beef broth, Water. This time round, Jello isn't going down well, which is wild. I have another day on liquid and then back to thicker Soups and fish. I'm hoping this restriction is enough to help keep the portions very small.

Good morning Ladies. I went to a new doctor yesterday. It's hard to find doctor's in my area that will treat Mexico patients. When I got my last fill in July I had to travel about 5 hours. One of the local doctors finally agreed to see me - after much begging and actually crying on the phone to the nurse. Turns out the perfect time to call and beg for help is TOM!! I told my husband I must have had the right amount of desperation and patheticness!!

Anyhoo, I've been overfilled since July (which I suspected right away). Luckily my pouch isn't stretched out, but my esophagus (sp?) is swollen. I only had 1.5cc in a 10 cc band. The doctor said he usually gets about 4.0 cc in my type of band. He did a complete unfill to let my esophagus rest for a few weeks. The minute the Fluid came out, the burning in my throat went away and hasn't been back.

I'm not too worried about not having fluid in the band. I did okay post-op before my first fill as far as not gaining any weight. I didn't lose after the first week or so, but I held steady. The great thing is, I'm not even thinking about all the "non-band" food I can actually eat now. I thought for sure I'd at least dream about it. But, no!!! It seems this past year my thinking has changed as well as my eating habits.

The doctor was very impressed with my weight loss to date - not the total pounds lost, but that I've reached 100% of my extra weight. I agreed to be on his website (testimonial, etc) and he is going to do a metabolic rate test as well as a "Bod Pod" density test. Hot dog!!! It's the test they do on the Biggest Loser contestants where they are submerged in Water. According to the quick fat % test they did in the office, I've dropped from 45% in April 2008 to 22% in March 2009. WAHOOOOOO!! I can't believe what a blessing this doctor turned out to be. He went from not wanting to see me to being a part of my ongoing care in the space of ten minutes or so.

While I'm not too concerned with being unfilled for a short period of time, I already know it will be a struggle to maintain 136 pounds. I was hungry about 2 hours after eating dinner last night, but drinking a glass of water helped and I went right to bed. This morning I was actually hungry for Breakfast, but drank my usual two cups of tea. I'm going to eat a hardboiled egg now, which is about 2 hours earlier then usual.

Sorry for the long post. I wanted to get this down and hold myself accountable. Carol is such an inspiration with all she's been through. I just keep telling myself I can do it to. Thanks to everyone for your support. I'll keep you posted on my progress. When he does the fill on March 25 it will be under fluor so hopefully not over full this time!

GDF I think restriction is really different for most people. Some I know can eat a whole cup of food and lose 2 pounds a week. Unfortunately I am not one of them lol.

You will find a happy medium I am sure.

CC you will be fine! I am very happy to hear that you were able to find a great doctor to help you. Sounds like you're on track now with better health care and that you will be able to maintain till the swelling is down.

Congratulations, CC! Best news is that you have a good local doctor now. It makes a big difference to have someone in your corner. And it's thrilling that you're a 100%. I really give such credit to all of you who were smart and banded before blowing up like I did. It's not simple or easy to deal with what I did to myself, and boy do I wish I'd done this sooner. Of course, banding was far from common when I was in the mid-200s- probably about 8 year ago. But thank heaven I finally got smart.

So glad this is working out and sounds like you're really doing great! Keep it up!

Good morning!

Hope everyone's doing well.

Carol, how are you doing?

Brandy, I wish I could stick to 1/2 cup. I read about all the bandsters that do. I'm doing that now, because of the fill, and I'm going to try to measure more so I stick to it. And maybe now with more restriction I can do it. I try to stick to around 1000 calories a day. If I do that and get plenty of Fluid in, I lose nicely.

I was 233 this morning. Nothing like "fluids only" for a couple of days to move the scale. Tonight, I'll go to thick Soup and mashed potato.

I found a new Protein drink at the market. Called "Lean Body". 40 grams of protein. I grabbed one to try and didn't notice the price, but I don't use them all the time. It's good for now, when I can't get a lot down. It's 17 oz container and I sipped it all day between cups of tea and broth. 260 calories.

See you all later.....

Carol, I've loved your ticker for so long and finally had a few minutes (I'm home today) and uploaded it - I love seeing the weight loss in BIG NUMBERS- LOL.

Thanks for the idea.

Edited by gdf18

Cub Girl,

How did you lose all your wieght in the year? I am 5 foot and was 200 lbs. I was banded on 4/2/08 and have only lost 40 lbs. I have been going back and forth between 162 and 164 the last 3 months and can't mve the scales. I think I'm at my sweet spot due to I can't even eat a cup of food at a time. Before this crazy winter I walked everyday, but stopped due to the weather. However, I have started at a gym and I am going between 4 and 5 days a week but the scale is not moving. Normally, I eat about 60 grams Protein everyday. I need to count calories I think.

My last fill I was at 7cc in a 10cc band.

Hi everyone!

I'm doing okay...thanks for asking. I am a wee bit discouraged, but also not trying too hard either. I will get my first fill on this coming Friday. I am eager for it let me tell you!!! I am so darn hungry and could easily fall into old habits. I am so glad I've come so far and have been able to at least maintain my new weight.

I really want to start losing!!!!!

~C

Restriction is different for everyone. I had a fill about 3 weeks ago and am just now starting to loosen up to a comfortable state. I am always so gun-ho about getting a fill but I think this will be the last one for a long time. I really don't need to be tight to keep me on the straight and narrow - my eating habits have totally changed. It is no fun being too tight and I am so glad it is starting to loosen a bit.

While I have a lot more weight left to go - I don't want to do it in a uncomfortable state with a grimace on my face!!