Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling all April Bandsters!!!!

Isn't it amazing how the tastes do change!!! I know the feeling of sitting down thinking you might just indulge and then either it doesn't taste so great or the first bite goes down wrong.....either way it is ruined. I am so glad I don't look to food as a comfort any more. After 10 months it has just come a necessity of life and nothing else. Thanks to the band I can focus on other areas of my life.

Hi All,

Yup. Went to the surgeon today and he was so good to talk to- one thing I really like is the time he gives me. Bottom line.....he made room on his schedule to tighten me tomorrow! I did lose one pound - I think it's because I started back on tons of water....water seems to be what gets the calories to swim off me. So, happily he didn't see a gain. But he was upset that I didn't come in sooner because I havne't had an adjustment since end of October and he said of course I need one and we're on our way again. That's a relief.

I also got some good news. Whatever I'm doing, I'm doing something right because my thyroid is too fast again, so the meds are going down for the second time since banding.

And I do use light mayo. In fact, I buy Smart Beat, which is disgusting and chemical but only 10 calories and I mix it 1/2 and half with the light mayo so it's even lighter. Egg salad goes down well, but salmon and tuna are only okay sometimes, if eaten very slowly. chicken salad is okay if I literally liquify it. I'm happy to go back to liquids for a day or so after the adjustment. Fresh start.

Nuff about that! How is everyone else doing? Tell me more good news!

Congrats Carol you're doing amazing. I understand what you mean about the foods you like changing... I now crave some of my healthier foods when I go without them for a while.

It's a lifestyle change for sure not a diet :thumbup:

Hi All,

Yup. Went to the surgeon today and he was so good to talk to- one thing I really like is the time he gives me. Bottom line.....he made room on his schedule to tighten me tomorrow! I did lose one pound - I think it's because I started back on tons of water....water seems to be what gets the calories to swim off me. So, happily he didn't see a gain. But he was upset that I didn't come in sooner because I havne't had an adjustment since end of October and he said of course I need one and we're on our way again. That's a relief.

I also got some good news. Whatever I'm doing, I'm doing something right because my thyroid is too fast again, so the meds are going down for the second time since banding.

And I do use light mayo. In fact, I buy Smart Beat, which is disgusting and chemical but only 10 calories and I mix it 1/2 and half with the light mayo so it's even lighter. Egg salad goes down well, but salmon and tuna are only okay sometimes, if eaten very slowly. chicken salad is okay if I literally liquify it. I'm happy to go back to liquids for a day or so after the adjustment. Fresh start.

Nuff about that! How is everyone else doing? Tell me more good news!

Good job... gonna get that weight loss jump started :thumbup:

Keep us in the loop on the fill and how the restriction is after.

How does he do his fills? Does he use Flouro?

My surgeon does fills different for everyone. I wanted to just be filled right up so he had me lay down and he put the needle in.... Then he has me sit up and he fills the band to the max.... He has me take a sip of Water and he slowly deflates the band till I feel the water go through and I say stop lol.

I think it worked. atleast for me. He said that some of his patients wouldn't be able to do that and others beg for it.

Carol - So happy to hear you can eat food again! I often wonder if I've learned what I needed to in the past year to do this on my own if necessary. Like you, my food cravings have changed. My husband and I have learned to share meals when we go out, because a few bites of something "bad" is more than enough for me. You've encouraged me in the past few months - thanks so much for that!!

Gwenn - I'm glad your doctor is taking care of you. I sometimes feel like I'm being a pain in the neck, so I don't phone and check in with the nurse. When I finally go in, they tell me I have to phone and check in on a more regular basis. Good luck with your fill!

Brandy - how's the new job? We had a cold snap come through here, bringing more snow and freezing temperatures. I was able to walk outside during my lunch a few times last week. Back in the 20's this week, so no walking outside. Dang it!

Hey there CC... Oh jeez you're so close to goal. I can't wait for you to get that 1 flipping pound... I would claim victory to it anyway lol

The weathers crap here right now rain, snow, sun all in 5 minutes go figure. It's in the 30's here ;(

Jobs awesome. Lots of learning though... I will be ok though.

Thank you all for never-ending encourgement you always give me!

I am eager to get on with losing more weight, but I also understand that my body needs to heal. I am trying to be patient!

~C

YAY Carol,

You're really doing well and you've really been through it and are still holding strong. You know you have everyone's support (even if some of us disappear now and then LOL). Take care of yourself.

Oh yes.....restriction. I took .6cc today, which for me is a lot. He uses a floroscope. The office is in the hospital...it's the hospital's program. So, I go to the imaging center for my fills. I really like to watch it on the screen....watch the liquid go down and get stuck. He took a little out. Said he was keeping me very tight so it'll take a couple of weeks to loosen a little. I had a Protein Drink and Decaf early in the morning, and after the adjustment I got down a cup of tea...slowly. I just had a little more Protein drink....took 15 minutes to get down 4 ounces, so that seems about right. So, hopefully, I'll get a good drop next few days to get me back on track mentally as well as phyically. Two days on liquids, then mushies until I'm comfortable. Thanks for asking.

I'm taking a couple of vacation days cause I'm gonna lose if I don't use....so no work now until Monday. I'll take a nice walk each day and then try to wade through paper work at home. Looking forward to it.

Hello Ladies,

I need some help here. I got my last fill friday and about 40 minutes later I got sick and had to right go back and get an unfill. I was at 8.5cc she put in 9cc and then took out like .25. So because I had swelling the first few days I could not eat or barley drink anything I have started to slowly get food in and keep it down, but since Friday I have lost 15 lbs and I am concerned that it is way too much. Should I get an unfill? I really don't want to I am startin gto eat more as the days passes. What should I do??????:thumbup::confused::crying::confused::lol:

Oh yes.....restriction. I took .6cc today, which for me is a lot. He uses a floroscope. The office is in the hospital...it's the hospital's program. So, I go to the imaging center for my fills. I really like to watch it on the screen....watch the liquid go down and get stuck. He took a little out. Said he was keeping me very tight so it'll take a couple of weeks to loosen a little. I had a Protein drink and Decaf early in the morning, and after the adjustment I got down a cup of tea...slowly. I just had a little more Protein Drink....took 15 minutes to get down 4 ounces, so that seems about right. So, hopefully, I'll get a good drop next few days to get me back on track mentally as well as phyically. Two days on liquids, then mushies until I'm comfortable. Thanks for asking.

I'm taking a couple of vacation days cause I'm gonna lose if I don't use....so no work now until Monday. I'll take a nice walk each day and then try to wade through paper work at home. Looking forward to it.

Enjoy the days off I am sure you deserve them with all that's going on. Sounds like the fills probably going to be tight so speaking from experience.... watch what you eat! I was that full since October and it has helped me to lose a majority of the weight. I still get all the Proteins and such in but I have to pay much more attention to the kinds of foods I eat and how SLOW I eat them. Sounds like you'll be in a good spot but to keep from pb'ing or having pain please be careful sip lots of Water :tt1:

Hello Ladies,

I need some help here. I got my last fill friday and about 40 minutes later I got sick and had to right go back and get an unfill. I was at 8.5cc she put in 9cc and then took out like .25. So because I had swelling the first few days I could not eat or barley drink anything I have started to slowly get food in and keep it down, but since Friday I have lost 15 lbs and I am concerned that it is way too much. Should I get an unfill? I really don't want to I am startin gto eat more as the days passes. What should I do??????:confused::confused::w00t::confused::w00t:

Since you were overfilled theres probably swelling and you should be ok. Alot of us are able to live on liquids for weeks at a time before surgery so I wouldn't fret it. I would make sure you're getting in all the liquids you need and that you dont dehydrate. You could also drink low sodium broth that made me feel alot better after I was filled too tight.

Are you only concerned because of the amount of loss or is there more issues?

Hey there CC... Oh jeez you're so close to goal. I can't wait for you to get that 1 flipping pound... I would claim victory to it anyway lol

The weathers crap here right now rain, snow, sun all in 5 minutes go figure. It's in the 30's here ;(

Jobs awesome. Lots of learning though... I will be ok though.

Thanks Brandy! It is very exciting - it's my TOM, so I won't weigh again until next week. Typically, there's no weight loss so will probably be the following Monday when I claim the first victory!!!!! I told my husband I was going to change my goal to 125 - 130, but he convinced me to slow down and enjoy this first milestone. Then if I want to continue - go for it. He's so good to me! Since I'm not quite 5'1", 135 barely gets me in the normal BMI range. However, my blood work tests are so much better now that the doctor said to use the BMI for a goal but not live and die by the number. Of course, the size 6 pants worked wonders for my psyche - almost as much as getting in to the 130's.

You're only 20 pounds from your goal. That's awesome. I can't believe how much all of us will have achieved in one year since surgery. I knew it would be life changing, but I didn't take in to account how much my thinking would actually change.

My goal doesn't make me super model material for sure but I am ok with that. I am shooting for 160.. Why I chose it I am not totally sure. My doctor said 180 would be his goal for me. I am like 1 pound from that so I think he is full of it. I still have alot of fight left in me :confused:

I will claim victory at 160 and like you I will let my body decide if it's gonna keep going or if that's where it evens out.

Growing up I was comfortable around 150-160 so I think it's reasonable. I would like to see about 140 though in my dreams so I will just have to see. I just feel so small already compared to before. I am in one of those phases where the scale didn't move this week but the pants feel too big... it's weird. I am ok with that I hit my 90lb goal for 1 year already : )

I just want to say that each and every one on this April thread has played a part one way or the other in where I am in my real life. It only takes a few kind words to keep someone going... Many times I have turned to the forums just to get inspiration.

Thank you and I plan to stay around a very long time :confused:

Hello Ladies,

I need some help here. I got my last fill friday and about 40 minutes later I got sick and had to right go back and get an unfill. I was at 8.5cc she put in 9cc and then took out like .25. So because I had swelling the first few days I could not eat or barley drink anything I have started to slowly get food in and keep it down, but since Friday I have lost 15 lbs and I am concerned that it is way too much. Should I get an unfill? I really don't want to I am startin gto eat more as the days passes. What should I do??????:confused::confused::w00t::confused::w00t:

As long as you're able to get in fluids, I would give it a few more days to make sure the swelling, etc has taken care of itself. If you're not able to get in fluids, I would go back in. I would also be concerned about the 15 pound loss, unless you had some Water retention built up that you weren't aware of. If you feel comfortable enough to give it another few days, it could work itself out.

My last fill was in July and about a month ago I was finally able to start eating a little something in the morning. From July - February, I would drink a few cups of hot tea until 10 a.m. or so when I could eat something as long as it was moist (tuna with mayo, etc). lunch was okay as long as I had plenty to drink before hand. By dinner time, I was able to eat more (about 3/4 cup total food). My doctor told me this is not untypical with the band, so as long as I could drink fluids and stay hydrated he said give it time.

If you want to be able to eat in the mornings, you may need to get some more taken out for that to happen. Even after all this time, my Breakfast consists of 1 cup of hot tea followed by 1 hard boiled egg. Sometimes I don't finish the whole egg and wait an hour or so before finishing it up. From July to present, I've lost 63 pounds (2 pounds per week average). That's within the range my doctor likes. Some weeks was 4 - 5 pounds, and others were 1 -2 pounds.

Good luck! Please let us know how you're feeling and what you're doing.