Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling all April Bandsters!!!!

On January 29th I became a statistic because of the economy and lost my job. I didn't stress it I took unemployment and left for my vacation to hawaii.. I came back on the 16th and then left for California on the 17th to return on the 22nd.

On the 23rd I put in a few resumes of places I was interested in..... I just got a call today and offered a position for a job I didn't think I would get.

With the economy this bad I can't believe the route I took and got a job so fast. I am excited about it and start Monday.

GDF- Good to have you back! Don't despair! We are all in this together and are here for you.

I've never heard of the left shoulder pain when hungry thing. What is this about? Please explain. I just got rebanded, and my left shoulder is killing me! Couldn't figure it out, no rhyme or reason I thought. I thought maybe poor positioning during surgery. I was gonna talk to my doctor about it. Tell me more.

Brandy- WOW! First of all...congratulations on everything! Your weight loss is stellar as usual. I'm happy for you about your wedding, though sorry your dress was too big! Sorry about your job and congratulations about your job! Whew...you've got a lot going on. Glad your back.

I've been frustrated with my weight loss too. I have not gained anything...thank GOD! But, I'm not losing either. Ridiculous. How can you be on liquids for 3 weeks and all these mushies and not lose even one stinking pound???? I don't know, but I'm gonna cave to a fill cuz I don't like being hungry. I'm starting to give in to ice cream cuz I'm bored with my mushie diet. It's time to move on so I can start losing again.

UGH!

Hi All ~

Haven't been on in forever.....working like a dog through tax season.........Turler - the way it was explained to me is that that somethings rests on a particular nerve that causes the shoulder pain. I experienced it for about 2-3 weeks - and then it just went away....repositioned or something.....there is a write up in one of my lapband books but I can't seem to locate the source right now. I used a heating pad but ultimately found very little comfort or relief. Did you recently get re-banded??

Carol you're doing great. You are doing way better than I would if I had 3 weeks of liquid. I am horrible I know and have 0 will power :rolleyes: I am thankful everyday that I was a volume eater and not a sweet eater cause I wouldnt have made it.

Stick with us and you will be fine. I have to admit I am back to drinking a glass or 2 of wine in the evenings. I guess it's ok cause I still lost a few since then.

Congrats on new job Brandy - it is awesome when things just fall into place. I left my old job in October and found a position before my resignation date was even at hand - and though it is challenging -I LOVE IT. Hope it works out really great for you!! What island did you go to? We are going to Maui in June.......something to look forward to.

Congrats on new job Brandy - it is awesome when things just fall into place. I left my old job in October and found a position before my resignation date was even at hand - and though it is challenging -I LOVE IT. Hope it works out really great for you!! What island did you go to? We are going to Maui in June.......something to look forward to.

I am super excited about the new job. I think it will be very challenging and that's what I want. I will be a purchasing agent for Levi Strauss.

We went to Kauai for most of the time and took an overnight trip to Oahu. If I ever see all those hookers in Wakiki ever again it will be too soon. That was nasty.

We had such a horrible time with our plane losing an engine and having a 16 hour flight delay they gave us another round trip ticket to the islands free. I think we will be returning again within the year. This time I will be going to Maui. I have friends on Kauai though so hopefully they will island hop to see us!

Hi everyone. It's so good to see posting traffic here again!

Brandy - Congrats on everything! I checked out your blog and your photos are beautiful.

Carol - You're doing amazing by not gaining weight with little or no restriction. I need to make an appointment for a slight unfill. I hope I can show your restraint!

GDF - Good luck with the ice cream battle. I crave ice cream a few times a week, and force myself to indulge only every other week. You're doing great.

I hope everybody has a wonderful weekend.

Hey - does anyone know what % of excess body weight is typcially lost with the lapband? 60% or 40% ? or? I read it somewhere but can't seem to remember what percentage they normally quote........obviously I am bound and determined to push right past that mark but it would be good to know what the studies state as typical.........does anyone know what I am referring to or am I out of my mind???

Brandy - our family loves, loves, loves Kauai - we go there almost every year - last year we went to the Big Island and this year we are scheduled for Maui because we want our daughter (13) to experience all the islands for herself. We have never stayed on Oahu - seems to crowded and commercialized for me..........but want to go to visit Pearl Harbor.

Sorry to hear about your fiasco - they say even a bad day in paradise is better than a good day on the 48!! ????

Hey - does anyone know what % of excess body weight is typcially lost with the lapband? 60% or 40% ? or? I read it somewhere but can't seem to remember what percentage they normally quote........obviously I am bound and determined to push right past that mark but it would be good to know what the studies state as typical.........does anyone know what I am referring to or am I out of my mind???

My doctor quoted me 50% I think they just use that so people dont get frustrated at the slow loss and the plateaus. I have lost more than the 50% and my body acts as though it plans to keep going.

I can't wait for the weather to get better so I can go outside more.

Yes, even the worst day on the islands is better than in the 48 states :wink: Once we got there nothing could ruin my day lol.

Hi Everyone,

Brandy- AMAZING!!! Congrats and good luck with the new job. I think it gives us all hope that things will be good and the economy will turn around soon. AMEN AMEN AMEN!

Turler- Sorry you're getting the shoulder pain but everyone's info is true. It's something to do with a nerve that's affected. It's very common in the weeks right after surgery because of the gas in the stomach. Best thing to do is MOVE.... alot. Walking helps significantly. Heat helps So do painkillers. Some people, and aren't I the lucky one, continue to get the pain from time to time because of the way our "tubing" linked up with our anatomy. I need to ask more about it. Anyway, some, like me, get it when my stomach is empty. It fills with gas and somehow, that sparks the pain. As soon as I eat, it's gone, but it's like someone is putting knitting needles in to my shoulder and I've cried from the pain. If I even feel it vaguely -like a 'aura" of it, I try to get something in my stomach. Some people get it when they're too full. And even some get it either extreme. I've found whole threads on it on here, thank goodness, but it was disturbing to hear people with 2-3 years still getting it. My concern has been that my surgeon did his best, but the nurses told me it's just that some people get it and some don't. Here's hoping your goes away soon and never returns.

I'm continuing to do battle with myself. I guess I never thought I'd be "dieting" again and lately, I am. This last week or so I'm suddenly able to gulp down a glass of Water and eat larger amounts of the food that don't get stuck and that usually means I need a fill. Haven't had one since early November so I think I'm going to beg. As Instead of starving myself this week before going to the surgeon, I'm going "as is". I'm asking for a little tightening to help me slow the eating down again. He says he wants the band to do 60% -70% of the work, me 30%. Right now, I'm flat out not working but I wouldn't say that anywhere but here where everyone understands.

What is it with me? I'm doing well and why am I not running (ok, walking) to hit that first goal of 100 pounds. I'd hoped to be one of those who make it in a year. I've just blown 2 months, and I know that's not the way we're supposed to talk, but it's how I feel. I was banded April 30 and if I can get my head on straight, I could lose another 7-10 and that would be great. Instead, I'm bouncing between my low of 235 and 242. I'm still in therapy so yes, I'm working on it, but I can't help but wonder what is it in me that loves the compliments, loves that I'm beginning to look "LIKE ME" again, and yet, am sabotaging myself. UGH!

Got to go now. Thanks for listening.

By the way, the resident in the surgeon's office told me I'd lost....I think so far 38% of my weight. I had no idea what he was talking about. If that's excess weight, then someone thinks I'm gonna weigh around 130 to be at goal. Are they nuts? If I had to pick a real low goal, it would be around 175 or so. That would be 140 pounds down at age 57. So, I guess that would be what? Can't do math. If an angel came down TODAY and said that 75 pounds off was all I could have, I'd still be happy. More, happier. But I just don't see me being a size 8. Just don't. I'd be thrilled to see 199. Oh my, I will be thrilled.

GDF~ We all have our little demons and I don't know why when were doing well we try to sabotage ourselves.. but we do. The first second that I lack any restriciton I take advantage of it lol. I know it's not funny but I do. I do very well when I have restriction though so it's like night and day.

I never imagined myself being a size 8 ever again either but I have that in sight now. I though I would only get to 199 and I blew past that and kept going. I am 185 this morning. I bought 6 pairs of new pants for my new job and I bought all size 12 petites... well I wore a pair the other day and they stretched out. I went back and tried on a pair of size 10's... they buttons but was a little too tight. That tells me I am gonna be in 10's shortly. So if I can do it anyone can.

You're doing awesome GDF so keep up the good work. I just take it a day at a time. I see a long term goal but I have to worry more about the here and now so I don't get frustrated.

GDF-I forgot to add.. a healthy weight for me is 144 (the highest end of healthy. So my excess weight is 127 pounds because my starting weight was 271.

I had to lose 127 and have lost 86. 86/127= 68% rounded so I have blown the stats out of the Water.< /p>

My realistic goal is 160 though not 144. So for my goal I am 74% to goal.

I wanted to lose the 100 by anniversary too but I probably wont and I am ok with that. I have been too lazy to go out and work it off :wink: I need more motivation.

Thanks for the info on the shoulder pain thing. Very strange and I intend to ask my doctor about it at my follow up appointment.

I think I remember being told that Lap Bander's can expect to lose approximately 60-70% of their excess weight. Excess is the key word. Just remember that statistics like that are just guidelines and averages. Not everyone will do the average. I think what happens is that we lose our motivation. It is a slow loss and can be frustrating. Essentially like a perpetual "diet". Gets old, and I can see how some give up and stop going for fills and stuff. Once they start looking and feeling good, they may not feel compelled to push on. I am too motivated for that! Just like Brandy, I have lost more than my 50% and I don't feel done yet. I got re-banded because I wasn't finished. I think we have control, not really the band, you know?

Oh, and this morning I lost 1 pound! I hope it's the start of something good. I've had no weight loss for 6 weeks!

~C