Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else had this problem

Hi all, been banded for a week and half now and all is going well. Last night I had a small meal and was full and content, I then went off to watch the football team that I play for (soccer) but due to having the band Im taking a few weeks off. Afterwards all the guys have a beer in the bar before going home, so keeping with tradition I had one. However this time I only had a half and it was ale not lager due to the fizz. On my way home I had the most evil pain in my left shoulder and by the time I got home the indigestion was hell (V painfull) I took to bed with a hot water bottle on my belly and this was slightly better and I took some English version of Gas X. The feeling was like being Sooooooo full I thought I would burst. Im also sorry to say (for my dear wife) that the wind I had in the night would keep a kite up for a few days. When I woke this morning I felt fine again. Does this sound anyting like what you have had at any point ? Im off the beer for now (even a half)

Any advice would be great. Ive lost 18lbs so far.

Johnny. England

Great job on the weight loss!

And I think you already know what to do... no fizzy for awhile! Follow your doctors recommendations. Now you know why they make them. I make mistakes in following instructions too, that's how I know to say that.

that type of pain is what was just discussed at my support group. between the beer alone can cause gas and with the band it is even worse.

I would agree, stay off the beer and watch quantity you eat at each "meal". All doctor seem to have their own regimen of after surgery "meals" so i would follow that and good luck:huh2:

Maybe check with your doctor as there may be some restrictions about when to start drinking alcohol. Congrats on your weight loss so far.

JRC:

The carbonation is the issue. I know the shoulder pain is horrible because it happens to me when I eat too fast or get stuck. I'm surprised you're eating small meals already. I had to do liquids only for three weeks, then mushies for two weeks, then food. Alot of doctors have different ideas of post surgery meals though.

Take care, and skip the beer and soda for a while because your pouch doesn't have enough room for all of those gas bubbles.

Sue

Carbonated drinks like beer and soda are not recommended after being banded. And of course alcohol adds empty calories. Generally it's best to limit alcohol significantly during the weight loss phase and once you're at maintenance you might need to switch your drink of choice to wine or a hard liquor. Yeah, bummer!

The left shoulder pain is because there is a nerve that runs from our belly to the shoulder and when the band gets tight we feel the tightness in our shoulder. I just got a fill and I have a twinge of pain in my shoulder as well. I know that's a signal that my band is working.

This is a good time to learn to "read" these signals our bands are sending us.

Unfortunately, I get a lot of gas from almost everything I eat since being banded. I am still trying to figure out how to treat it. Gas X hasn't helped much, I am trying Beano next.

Great job on the weight loss!

And I think you already know what to do... no fizzy for awhile! Follow your doctors recommendations. Now you know why they make them. I make mistakes in following instructions too, that's how I know to say that.

The thing is the beer I had was ale (thats not fizzy) lager is fizzy and I didnt have that. Plus I only had a half a pint. But yep I think your right beer is off the menu for now. I may have a small spirit if I fancy a tipple in future. But wow that was a painfull outburst. Glad to say that I feel so much better today.

Cheers for the support.

I just did some research online about the differences between ale and lager. From what I read there is a difference in Natural carbonation and "forced" carbonation and it seems that even ale can have some natural carbonation. It also seems to vary by the brand.

I'm not a beer drinker or a scientist, I guess the answer is, it bothered your pouch and now that you know that, you'll be more careful.

We all have to learn what our bands like or don't like and those things can change in time or change after a fill or adjustment. This includes food and drinks!

The thing is the beer I had was ale (thats not fizzy) lager is fizzy and I didnt have that. Plus I only had a half a pint. But yep I think your right beer is off the menu for now. I may have a small spirit if I fancy a tipple in future. But wow that was a painfull outburst. Glad to say that I feel so much better today.

Cheers for the support.

It sounds to me like ale just doesn't agree with you any more. :rolleyes: You'll also discover over time that there can be some perfectly healthy foods and beverages that will have the exact same effect. It doesn't always mean certain things are bad, they just don't work for you.

Your ale problem might be a temporary one. It might not. When you get closer to your target weight and the maintenance level, you won't need as much restriction as you do in the early stages. Until then you should abide by the rules your BAND decides to put in place or suffer the consequences. But I wouldn't start thinking that you'll never be able to enjoy a beer with the lads again. :lol:

Yes, carbonation of any sorts will do that to you. That being said, 19 months out I am okay with carbonation. It is trial and error. Good luck!