Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

On the plus side, though, I did go to that restaurant and I didn't order the steak I love. And I didn't order dessert.

Frances, hang in there. It's physically impossible for you to keep taking in very few calories and burning a lot of them without burning up some fat. The plateau is most likely just retained Water, and will disappear overnight one of these days. Just keep on going! It'll happen.

Oh, I had a good NSV today!

I discovered that my belt, straining to cinch me in 2 and half months ago, needed to be tightened another notch! And, when I went to tighten it, I discovered that I've used up all the holes!

It is dead to me now! My lapband killed my belt!

First of all, I think we were all in posting withdrawal yesterday. I look forward to reading the posts and had nothing ..... So glad things are back in working order.

Today will be a food challenge for me. For administrative Assistant week the bosses are taking us to dinner. We are heading to Carraba's. I have never been there, but thankfully their menu is online and several of their items are listed in TheDailyPlate website.

I think I am gona stick with baked or broiled seafood. NO Pasta, I hope.

I dread reaching a plateau. They have always been my weight loss downfall. But at least when I reach one this time I will not be able to realy binge eat. The band will remind that I am not to do that and keep me on track. So far 30# since the first of the year, 16 of it is post surgery...:redface:

Off to a long day at work and then dinner.

Have a great day, everyone

Fenton, does you brother know you are banded? Just wondering because when I talk to my DH about some of the struggles I have with making the right choices and limiting myself he really questions the band. He just does not understand the whole process. I find it very frustrating. I know if I had gone for seconds on the bread he would have brought it up.

Congratulations on killing your belt! I can't wait for my waist to get smaller. I've lost face, boobs and butt. The swelling and reddness from my reaction is still hanging around, so maybe once that is really gone I'll notice a difference in the tummy.

Christine

Lynn, you can't let yourself sweat plateaus! They're going to happen, they're a natural part of weight loss, and while the weight may be staying the same, you're still losing fat. You have to keep that in mind when the needle becomes lazy, and focus instead on NSV's. Like how good you feel, or a suddenly useless belt!

My brother's overweight too; I'd like him to get a band. I didn't say that Tuesday night, but I talked about how important it is to lose weight, and how the band is pretty much foolproof. He didn't say anything about the bread; he had the same amount of bread as I did, but he had a bass ceviche appetizer and then a big steak entree, while all I had was half of a crab entree.

I'm going to work on the band idea with him next week. He's one of these high-powered businessmen, huge salary, millions of dollars in bonuses, and that's all very well, but it comes with huge amounts of stress. I think it might be hard for him to take a week off to get banded.

He's talking about going back to the famous medical weight loss center where, after his last visit, he lost 60 pounds. But statistically, supposedly, when you have more than 25 pounds to lose, it's almost impossible to keep it off without surgery.

Hello, I was banned on 3/19 and have gained about 5 lbs, I'm so upset by this, I'm walking about 12 miles a week and my diet is great, but I'm gaining weight, my ist fill is next wed and I hope he will be aggresive with the fill. I'm sure it will get better for both of us Good luck. Crystal

Fenton, those statistics helped me make my decision to be banded. I lost over 90 lbs once. It was great while it lasted, but it didn't last long. My sister kept telling me, "You can lose the weight without surgery." I kept reminding her that I know, I did it before, but statically, it was a waste of my time. I was not willing to go through the struggle losing all that weight, only to 1) regain it all and then some and 2) find that the insurance companies have made it even harder to get the lap band through them two years from now. I almost 2 years ago, my co-worker had the lap band and she was not required to do the 6-month diet. Had I followed through and gotten mine then (she went to seminar with me - she chose one surgeon, I chose the other) I could have avoided the 6-month wait and be well on my way to Thindom. Instead, she's down 89 lbs and I'm just beginning.

WOW!!!! Do you guys know what today is? It’s my ONE MONTH BANDIVERSARY!!!!!!!!!! YIPPEE KY YEA!!!! I wish I had remembered that yesterday when I spent my work day tossing back 5.5 bun less hotdogs. That's not including the Breakfast I had. I am worthless around a bar-b-q grill. So other than my Protein Shakes and a SF Popsicle, I had nothing to eat yesterday past 5:30. At least I did get my mile walk in. But I am back on track today. I actually think I am down around (or close to) 20lb post op. My mini goal is to be down (post op) 25 - 30 pounds by May 12th. That's when

I have my next appointment. That is when I will get officially weighed.

So, to all my fellow March 24th Bandsters - HAPPY ONE-MONTH BANDIVERSARY!!!!!

Kpod - thank you for the exercise link. I just printed them off. I'm going to keep them at my desk at work. The gym teacher gave me two of her bands so guess I can get started. My upper arms are huge. Mine are too fat to flap like wings. They just look like a shank of meat with a lot of fat or something.

ROTFLOL!! Remember in "Friends" when Joey found his hand-twin? Well, Diva, I think we're arm-twins! :cursing:

But seriously, did you say you ate 5.5 (bunless) hotdogs? Or was that a typo?

I finally have my first NSV to share: I went back to the gym for the first time since surgery, and after my workout, I was able to stretch much farther than before because I have less belly in the way!! :thumbs_down:

isn't it great to be able to bend over, stretch, and just move easier. Not having that extra stuff in front of you, even though I still have plenty to get rid of, and the way clothes fit. I am having such fun pulling things from my closet and wearing them. it is like a whole new wardrobe,, I am getting into clothes I bought over a year ago and said to myself, I know I'll be in them soon. Well, saoon is now, YIPPEE......

Ughh! I am frustrated beyond belief. This should probably be in the "Rants and Raves" section-

Soooo, my Dad stopped by today to visit.. Asked me how I was doing, and said I looked great. He said that he just got back from having coffee with my older sister, had a good time visiting, yadda yadda. Then he added "So how was cake and ice cream with chips and dip?" I was floored!

2 weeks ago I went to my nephews birthday, and I admit, I shouldn't have eaten what I did. HOWEVER, I planned for the junk food being there, and told my husband that if he saw me grazing to kindly remind me what I'm working towards.. I also told him I was going to have a sliver of cake- my favorite! I had a plan.

I got there and disregarded the delicious food sprawled on the table. Later on in the day I started to get hungry and decided to grab a few chips. 7- to be exact- because I logged it. I dunked 3 or so of them in the dip, and was satisfied. Then came the cake and ice cream.. I had- to be exact- 2oz of cake, and 3 tablespoons of ice cream. Because I weighed it, AND logged it. I left my sisters house feeling good about the situation, and my husband told me he was proud of me for planning ahead, and sticking to my guns.

So after explaining this to my Dad, rather upset like, he apologized for mentioning it, and told me to not worry about it- I was doing great, and reminded me of the whole being human thing. This still didn't help.

So on to my older sister- we have both struggled with our weight for the last 10 or so years. After having my nephews, my sisters weight sky rocketed, and there has been a comparable difference between us for the last 4 years. She started weight watchers again, (which we have done several times together) and has lost 40lbs since February. I have been so supportive of her, and I am so proud of her for doing so well. Never have I considered this a contest!

She and her husband have made snide remarks since I got my surgery date.. Everyone has told me- don't worry she's just jealous that she doesn't have the option, and is probably afraid that you'll succeed and she won't. Ughh! Maybe it's true? I am so frustrated! I knew that this could become an issue, but hoped it wouldn't. I feel like she's sabotaging me.

I also just learned that she told my younger sister about the chips and dip as well.. I was just venting about this whole situation to her, and she said, "well when I called to wish *our nephew* a happy birthday, she told me the same thing, I was just going to keep it to myself" GAAHHHH!! Is my older sister telling on me to make herself feel better?!

I didn't call the Pope and tell him that this weekend while in Philly she had 3lb Canoli's, 2 Philly cheese steaks, and flushed it all down with beer and Merlot?! lol

Sorry this is so long.. I am so frustrated right now, and have no one to talk to:(

Thanks for letting me vent

:)Kerri

Edited by k_podski

Unfortunately I think it is natural to be a bit competitive though. I have a friend that is competing with me and I'm trying not to be upset about it sometimes. In fact, she's lost almost as much as I have in the same amount of time. I had this surgery so that I could lead a normal life and normal people eat cake! I think you did a wonderful job and unfortunately some people can't see that instead of 3 pieces of cake you had a sliver and that is a huge accomplishment! I had Mexican food today at lunch so dinner will be broccoli while my friend simply stays in her office if there is a lot of good food around.

I think it's very natural for siblings to be competitive. The more she tattles on what she imagines to be your cheating, the more you can have the satisfaction of proving her wrong by losing weight. If you confront her about it, she'll just make it seem like a trivial thing.

What's more important than her behaviour is YOUR behaviour. You went to a situation that was filled with opportunities for cheating and failure, and you were EXCELLENT! Let the Diet Police say what they will say, you made your plan, you faced temptation, and you won.

I think that, in the long run, this might benefit your sister, too; if she's comparing herself to you, perhaps your weight loss will force her to try harder to lose weight.

I feel sorry for her, I have to say. She's absolutely the villain here, but you're really doing something to take control of your weight, while she is repeating steps that have failed in the past. No wonder she's envious...

Something I found on the Gizmodo gadget website, this might be useful to people who weigh their food:

This spoon, which looks like a prop from CSI, has built-in scales so you can scoop and check the amount all in one. Made of ABS plastic and stainless steel, it has an LCD screen, and an accuracy of 0.005 ounces. It also measures in metric or imperial and can keep track of added weights. Just make sure you use it for cooking ingredients, and not for measuring stuff that might get you a visit from CSI for real. Available for about $37. [ProIdee via OhGizmo, GeekAlerts]

scale Spoon: Spoon With Built-In scales, Perfect for Dieters and Dealers