Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 2-21, having problems

I cannot intake anything but Water, anything else MAKES gas and pain.

I am having cramps around the back my ribcage, I am taking in as much Water as I can...and my shoulder blades are hurting, worse when walking.

David

Try to use Gas-x strips and a heating pad where the pain is. that really helped me out. Also make sure you are up and walking every hour. It will get better.

Kathy in Wa

I was also banded the 21st and suffering same kind of pain. Take your pain medicine!. I know that sounds obvious but I didn't and had to go to the hospital because I couldn't breath and my chest, lungs hurt. Basically if you take the pain meds it will make it so you can get more air into your lungs. If you are not getting enough oxygen you will develop pneumonia. I still can only take Water, that's O.K. Take medicine and do the breathing treatments. Also try to cough to get your lungs active again.

David,

Sorry to hear you are in pain. The first thing that comes to my mind is, "Is this normal?" You may want to call your Doc to see if it's normal. Did they tell you to expect this and that the pain would get worse when you walked? If not, I would call right away and see what they say. Even if they don't have office hours, someone is probably on call. Better to be safe in my opinion. I hope you feel better.

I dont know if that is normal or not. I was banded on 2-18 and did not have any severe pains. Although I did take meds pretty regularly and have been getting alot of walking in. The walking has helped move the gas immensely. Hopefully it will help you also. Good luck!

Did your surgeon or Nurse Practioner speak to you about gas pains? This sounds like them. I know many people suffered through them that have had this surgery. But... if I am concerned, I call the doctor. Remember, he works for you.

Good luck.

David,

This is very normal for alot of people. It is the anesthesia and for some it takes a week to get out of the system. I do not recommend your pain meds as that will cause you another problem down the road and that is Constipation. I remember along time ago, I didn't have the gas problems but the eating was difficult to me. I didn't get too much into Water right away because I knew I had to get in my nutrition. Stay away from greasy Soups but try to drink some creamed Soups. You will get better and for sure the walking will help,

Josephine

Many people have gas pain after the lap band. You should run it by your physician or nurse practitioner however - no on here knows your risk factors.

If it is gas pains - take the Gas X (simethicone), walk, lie on your left side when in bed, and a heating pad will help. Try to get off your pain meds - the usual one prescribed post-op is a form of hydrocordone and will increase the gas pains by slowing down your digestive tract. If you can take Tylenol - get the adult liquid form and use that. Take deep breathes when you have a cramp.

Drink water; when you feel a little better then worry about your Protein intake. The Protein Drink I was taking made the gas pain worse; if was difficult to digest. Try powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury - you can find it online - it works better and tastes better too (I'm sure there are other ones also).

Make sure you run it by your health care provider just to be safe. But if they did the surgery; you're probably medically okay. Hope this helps. It will get better!

Not to sound like a sissy, but I did medicate...it is easing a little now.

I had a craving for mashed potatoes, I made them SOUPY. The first bite hurt when it hit my belly.

Gas x strips do absolutley NOTHING! I eat them 2-3 at the time...nothing.

DO I need to send out for some liquid Vitamins?

Another thing I neglected to tell you guys, I was on the table 3.5 hours. The doc removed 3 lbs of scar tissue out of my belly from previous surgeries and hernia repairs...so I was under for a good while.

I know it will pass and I am not the lone ranger...but DAMN!

David

David, I'm glad you're feeling better. But please listen to your body: It's a bit too early for even the soupiest mashed potatoes! I'm sure your doctor has given you post-op eating instructions, and equally sure those instructions are to stick strictly to liquids for at least the first week. You've been banded less than three days? GIVE IT TIME! You need to heal up, and pain is your body's way of telling you to leave it be.

Really, even if you're hungry don't jump the gun on thick liquids or mushy foods. You need to give yourself time to heal. It sounds like you had a really significant surgery--much more involved than the typical lap-band placement, and it's going to take even longer to heal.

So take it EASY!!

Well I am supposed to go back to work this Tuesday...I am worried about not being able to make it....as of this moment...theres no way.

David

Not to sound like a sissy, but I did medicate...it is easing a little now.

I had a craving for mashed potatoes, I made them SOUPY. The first bite hurt when it hit my belly.

Gas x strips do absolutley NOTHING! I eat them 2-3 at the time...nothing.

DO I need to send out for some liquid Vitamins?

Another thing I neglected to tell you guys, I was on the table 3.5 hours. The doc removed 3 lbs of scar tissue out of my belly from previous surgeries and hernia repairs...so I was under for a good while.

I know it will pass and I am not the lone ranger...but DAMN!

David

You left out some important details - you should contact your doctor.

your dr. may be able to give you a prescription for relief. but you have to move to get the gas out. even while you are sitting rotate your shoulders, and move your upper body from side to side. this will help make the gas come out.

I did call the Doc, he said all was ok. To stay medicated at least for the next 3 days from all the scar tissue he removed. And that I should me taking my pain meds, there was a reason he gave them to me (DUH)

He also told me that the pain in my collar bone is from a nerve that gets aggrivated during the procedure and radiates pain into the shoulder area.

I feel better now, still have cramps....but I do feel better.

David

I had similar pain. The only thing that helped was chicken broth. The hotter the better. The band likes hot. juice and gatorade seemed to add to my pain. Try and walk even if it hurts. A little goes a long way. Unless your Dr. said not to. I also do a liquid Vitamin but I waited until day 6 after surgery. Hang in there. After 7 to 10 days it will just disappear, hopefully. Good luck, Chrissie