Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am looking into LB, but I am terrified that something will go horribly wrong. I have an 11month old son and I am afraid that I would die in surgery; then again I’m afraid that being unhealthy will take him from me as well…

My husband ran out of us when he was only 6weeks old and so its up to me to take care of him (his dad does see him its just me that he didn’t want anymore, I got trade up for a younger, dumber, thinner girl:broken_heart:) and I am afraid that I wont be able to lift him or take care of him after having this done. I do have a bf but he works opposite shifts than me. I would probably be able to have my mom come stay with me for a week, maybe two.

Any advice?

It seems to me like the concerns you have about having to care for your son following surgery are feeding into your bigger concern of "Holy Crap, I could die!" :)

I will admit, I had the same feelings. I hate the thought of being put under and having no control, and willingly letting someone cut me open. I don't know what your weight is, but mine is terribly high. I kind of told myself I could die in 10 years without getting help, or I could die on the table getting help. Of course, these are worst case scenarios. After doing the research, I found there are so few deaths. The most important thing is to find a doctor that you're comfortable with, that you trust, and that has done so many of them WITHOUT having a high complication rate.

I don't have kids, so I don't know the concern about not being able to care for them immediately after. I did feel a lot of pain for about 2 days after, but then was able to move around and care for myself. I did have my husband who was incredibly helpful and supportive. If your mom is willing to come down for a week, then I wouldn't worry. My doctor said while you can't pick them up for a couple weeks, they can climb into your lap. :wink2:

Don't know if this helps... good luck.

I was banded when my little boy was seven months old and is now 11 months. The surgery was a piece of cake. Done on Thursday and back at work Monday. I would make sure you have someone to help you for the first few days though. I was still BF my son and so couldn't take any of the pain meds and was still okay.

Thanks guys, hey Liz1531. Did you have any problems with being able to lift your son? How are things going now? I’m worried about not being able to play with him and do all the things like we do now.

Also, once you were told you were a candidate for those of you that your insurance covered you how long was it till you were able to have the procedure? I go in this Saturday for the seminar and I was just trying to find out some of these questions before hand. I am praying that I am a candidate for the procedure and that my insurance will foot the bill.

I found out about my approval and called to schedule my surgery on the same day. I had surgery two weeks after my approval came in. (since I had a preop diet)

The most pain is at the port site. I would think with the help of your mom for a couple weeks you should be okay. Congrats on your decision. The surgery was a breeze for me.

I will be banded in a few weeks. I still need my barium swallow which I had to reschedule due to bad weather. Then I can schedule surgery. Yay!

I have 2 small children and outside of surgery I am always frightened at the thought of them not having me. I just bought the biggest life insurance policy I could buy and find comfort in knowing that my kids would be in good hands and financially taken care of if something happened to me. I am so sorry your ex has abandoned your relationship. That must be so hard. I can barely raise my kids with my wonderful husband. Hopefully you have a good lawyer. =)

You should be happy that you have taken charge of your life and your health. Good luck.

I am looking into LB, but I am terrified that something will go horribly wrong. I have an 11month old son and I am afraid that I would die in surgery; then again I’m afraid that being unhealthy will take him from me as well…

My husband ran out of us when he was only 6weeks old and so its up to me to take care of him (his dad does see him its just me that he didn’t want anymore, I got trade up for a younger, dumber, thinner girl:broken_heart:) and I am afraid that I wont be able to lift him or take care of him after having this done. I do have a bf but he works opposite shifts than me. I would probably be able to have my mom come stay with me for a week, maybe two.

Any advice?

Its not that bad you will be fine just think about the new life you are about to take on you have much more engery to more with your baby. When I had my surgery of couse the first days were kind of hard but after that its was breeze just do as the doctors says and watch your diet. My mom stayed with me for a week which she was suppose to stay for 2 weeks but I told her to go home I would be ok after the first week. But as far as you dying you take a risk of that on a day to day just by getting in your car going to work. But do your homework on it before you make your decision and good luck:biggrin2:

Asherje, you are YOUNG and strong with your WHOLE LIFE ahead of you. If you were in your 60's with a bad heart and diabetes that would be one thing (though even then the repercussions of losing the weight after banding would probably win out over the conditions before hand). I was 55 when I had my band put in. My surgery was a BREEZE. I was up and around when I got home from the hospital the same day as surgery. I was driving in 48 hours. I was back at work in 5 days. NO PROBLEM. This is NOT critically invasive surgery. Laproscopic surgery is miles away from slicing someone open and carving out their insides, and the recuperative process is geometrically faster. Go very easy on the lifting initially, but you should be fine before long!

Well I went in for the seminar and consult today. I expected the office to be a little different than it was, but was pleased over all with everything, I was told I am a canidiate for the procedure and we started the paper work. I heard Cigna is a pain to get approved through, but I'm praying that they'll cover it. Thanks all for your advise.

-jess

Do you have any co morbidities? High blood pressure, diabetes---anything? That makes approval easier.

As for the surgery, it is surgery, you often feel crummy from the anesthesia, as well as the fact that you will be cut, your abdomin filled with air, and the operation done---but over all it was a very easy surgery to me! I have had several and this was easier than anything else--I have dental surgery coming up, and I would much rather be banded again!!!!

I provide daycare for my granddaughter--she was 16 months old when I had it done, and I was back to having her full time in 5 days. I held her hand and let her climg up on things I would usually have lifted her for.

Any surgery is scary. But so is morbid obesity. Just think if you have surgery now, and lose the weight, when your son goes to school, you will not have the thoughts of being the fat Mom when you walk into his class. You will have a few days when he is a baby that you cannot play with him as rough as usual maybe---but in exchange, before long you can chase him accross the park! You can go down the slide with him--take him to a public pool, and concentrate on fun, not on how you look or if people are watching you!

I support you young girls doing this early!!! Take control now, and let the band help you to learn HEALTHY eating habits and good portion control! Help it give you a good life.

Swallow the natural fears, and do what you need to to give you and your son a healthy future!

Welcome to LBT!!

Kat

Kat...your words are inspiring and so true....single father of 2 ages 11 and 7...being banded 3/4/08 and am in the "what ifs" stage myself...but will positively go through with this surgery...to be able to run and be free with my kids is something I can't wait for...Disney here we come!!

Welcome Trinitydad!

You just need to look around you for inspiration! Those kids!! And they are at a great age too! To be learning about healthy eating and exercise. You can all ride bikes together--or find a new actvity you can all do together, and keep you all active. They will see your new portions, and what types of food you eat---and learn from that. They will see that you are making steps to be healthy and part of it is for them!

You will not have to change your diet to the point of being unable to go with your kids and enjoy a meal--------but they will see you begin to eat more Protein and veggies, and skipping the bag of chips--------they will see you eat a cookie and head off in another direction instead of eating the entire sleeve.

By the time I had surgery, my kids were grown and presenting me with grandkids----I so wanted to be able to play with them and even just LIVE to see them! And the changes come really fast! My granddaughter was 16 months old when I had surgery. She is 3 now, and looking through her babybook, she come across a picture of my DH and I holding her---she refused to believe the lady with Papa is me. "No that's not you!" So I showed her another picture of me......nope that is NOT! I love it!!! In her memory that morbidly obese woman does not exist! I had surgery a month after my grandson was born, so he will not have any memory of that either.

So sit back an imagine your 7 year old looking through pictures and saying to you "Dad I cannot believe that was you!!!" It is going to happen!!! The band is going to help it happen. Mostly you wanting it enough is going to help the band, make it happen for you!!!

Good Luck!!!!!!!! How exciting for you!!!

Kat

Any advice?

I think everyone of us that has had this surgery worried about dying on the table. I did a lot of research on it. There is less than a 1 and 200 chance of dying. My dr. has done hundreds with no death. It really is not worth worrying about. But I do understand what you are going through. It is worth it!

when I look at my two year old and think about being able to keep up with her in the years to come as a result of this surgery it's all worth it to me.

I want to be a role model for her in healthy eating and living. Losing all this weight will be one way I can do that.

Raising a child alone is tough. My heart goes out to you, but I do believe that we have more strength in us than we often realize.